Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ty Warren foregoes 250K to go back to school

Default Ty Warren foregoes 250K to go back to school

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,228245

Ty Warren took those "Never stop learning" commercials to heart

By MJD

Ty Warren(notes), defensive lineman for the New England Patriots, will be skipping the first round of his team's voluntary offseason workouts. He's got a pretty good reason, though. He's going back to Texas A&M to finally get a degree in his pocket.

It becomes an even better reason when you listen to him explain why he's doing it, too. It's all about sending the right message to his three kids.

"I try to put the kids in the best educational system possible and I think there is something to be said for their father, who has been blessed to play in the NFL and do something he's loved to do, going back and finishing what he started. In the big picture, I think it's important for me to do what I'm doing. I can sacrifice that bonus for that."

Oh yeah, that bonus he's talking about? It's a quarter of a million dollars. He'll be giving that up, too, all in the name of sending the message to his kids that education is important.

ESPNBoston.com's Mike Reiss talked to Warren about his decision to make education his top offseason priority, and it's hard to read it and not come out thinking, "Ty Warren seems like a pretty good guy." And lest you think he's somehow shorting his team by not going to the offseason workouts, I wouldn't worry about that, either.

"Working out has never been a problem of mine, I do it regardless. I'm self-motivated," he said. "I've always been a working person. Ask anyone who knows me, I've been working and supporting my two siblings and now my own family since I was 13. No matter how much I have in the bank account, I'll always work."

I can't imagine the Patriots would have much of a problem with this, either. Warren's a veteran player, one of the anchors on the Patriots defense, and has never been known as someone to slack off.

If anything, this decision is just more evidence of that.

Default Re: Ty Warren foregoes 250K to go back to school

So which is smarter:
    Go back and get that degree or go to workouts and collect that $275,000.00 bonus and invest it wisely?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is a TON of research that shows that on average, college degreed people earn $1 million more over their lifetimes than non degreed people. That's nothing to Ty Warren. But if this inspires each of his three kids to head to college and graduate, that's $3 million extra they will earn. When they start planning for their own retirement, they will have more flexibility and money to do it. And if his kids instill the same value in their kids, they earn degrees, and repeat the cycle when they plan for retirement, suddenly the collective lifetime earnings jump exponentially to a number that you could never turn that $275k bonus into no matter how wisely you invested it.
    Last edited by travmil; 03-17-2010 at 07:03 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So which is smarter:
    Go back and get that degree or go to workouts and collect that $275,000.00 bonus and invest it wisely?
    Smarter? Degree.
    Worth more money? 275K
    Worth more to yourself? Degree

I applaud his decision. If I was in Mr. Kraft's position, I would make a 275K donation in Mr. Warren's name to some higher education fund.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Smarter? Degree.
    Worth more money? 275K

I applaud his decision. If I was in Mr. Kraft's position, I would make a 275K donation in Mr. Warren's name to some higher education fund.
    I agree 100,000%

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    There is a TON of research that shows that on average, college degreed people earn $1 million more over their lifetimes than non degreed people. That's nothing to Ty Warren. But if this inspires each of his three kids to head to college and graduate, that's $3 million extra they will earn. When they start planning for their own retirement, they will have more flexibility and money to do it. And if his kids instill the same value in their kids, they earn degrees, and repeat the cycle when they plan for retirement, suddenly the collective lifetime earnings jump exponentially to a number that you could never turn that $275k bonus into no matter how wisely you invested it.

I can honestly say that's crap in this economy and I have two degrees

You're making the assumption that the economy will stay the same forever.

Without getting too political, it's widely accepted that economies are cyclical. We will start rising again. Soon, I hope.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Without getting too political, it's widely accepted that economies are cyclical. We will start rising again. Soon, I hope.
    You and me both!

Though I did just get a call to interview with Disney World today

That's what I said in "THIS" economy.

But given that I have an MBA I should have gotten something better than the temp work I am doing as well as the tax preparer gig I have on the side.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    I can honestly say that's crap in this economy and I have two degrees
    Just because it didn't work out for you doesn't mean it doesn't work out for anyone. My wife makes more money than me despite having 7 fewer years of work experience. The difference is that she got a degree. She's already passed me in lifetime earnings and I've been working full time for 15 years to her 8, and she was even laid off for 6 months two different times for a total of a year and still did that. Of course she majored in Physics and has a job as an engineer so she actuallyearned desirable and marketable skills. I always love hearing the people that say I have two degrees and complain that they can't get a job In their field or make any money. Most of the time when you ask what the degrees are in they will say art and philosophy. What are yours?
    Last edited by travmil; 03-19-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    That's what I said in "THIS" economy.

But given that I have an MBA I should have gotten something better than the temp work I am doing as well as the tax preparer gig I have on the side.
    You presented the statement like the statistic of making $1mil more over a life time with a college degree compared to a HS diploma wasn't ever going to happen again.

My point is that just because it is crap in THIS economy, doesn't mean it will be crap in 5years.

I always love hearing the people that say I have two degrees and complain that they can't get a job In their field or make any money. Most of the time when you ask what the degrees are in they will say art and philosophy. What are yours?
    Ugh. Yeah, shame on them for using their time at college to develop as a person and as an intellectual, rather than majoring in the first thing with marketable skills. It is exactly this mentality that is turning our educational system into such a steaming pile of ****.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Mood

It's nice to go to school and develop as a person. But when you can't f
    get someone to pay you as much (or at all) to be a philosopher as you can to be an engineer you shouldn't complain. The people that take those majors know the deal going in, or at least if they don't they should. If you truly love that field you should do it. But don't pretend anyone owes you a paycheck for it.

The point still stands. On AVERAGE, degreed people earn way more over their lifetime.
    Last edited by travmil; 03-19-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Just because it didn't work out for you doesn't mean it doesn't work out for anyone. My wife makes more money than me despite having 7 fewer years of work experience. The difference is that she got a degree. She's already passed me in lifetime earnings and I've been working full time for 15 years to her 8, and she was even laid off for 6 months two different times for a total of a year and still did that. Of course she majored in Physics and has a job as an engineer so she actuallyearned desirable and marketable skills. I always love hearing the people that say I have two degrees and complain that they can't get a job In their field or make any money. Most of the time when you ask what the degrees are in they will say art and philosophy. What are yours?

Psychology and Health Care Management

You presented the statement like the statistic of making $1mil more over a life time with a college degree compared to a HS diploma wasn't ever going to happen again.

My point is that just because it is crap in THIS economy, doesn't mean it will be crap in 5years.

No you just assumed that all I said "I can honestly say in this economy that's crap"

It really doesn't matter how much education you have they want to find someone with the most experience at the cheapest price. And that's fair game on their part but when you have the education to do the job but nobody gives you a chance at gaining that experience even on an entry level then sometimes you wonder what was the point. Especially where a lot of places can't afford to train etc.

That being said in Warren's case he's fortunate that he's earned a lot of $$$ playing in the NFL and I'm sure has invested wisely that he has the luxury to get this backup plan. He could get hired anywhere because of his name.

Mood

With psychology it's hit or miss. No joke, the only friend I have with a psych degree waits tables at Cheesburger in Paradise.

With psychology it's hit or miss. No joke, the only friend I have with a psych degree waits tables at Cheesburger in Paradise.

I know but at the time it was a good field(there was a time I was considering law school but realized it was not for me) not so much now if anything I regret not going into accounting when I was an undergraduate of course I'm doing that now at IUPUI and hope to get a CPA and work in the finance sector of a health care organization.

Yes I'm going for a third degree go figure.

Smarter? Degree.
    Worth more money? 275K
    Or would the smartest thing have been to have found a way to do both?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Or would the smartest thing have been to have found a way to do both?
    And if he can't do it during the offseason, because of missing workouts, are you suggesting he could do it during the actual season?

It's even better he's phsyically going to school, instead of signing up for online classes like at Pheonix U.
    Last edited by Since86; 03-22-2010 at 11:36 AM.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Anyone who can forego a quarter of a million dollars to get a symbolic degree just to make a point with his children obviously has enough money a degree doesn't matter anyway.

Earn the money now, get the degree later.

If he wants to do something that warms his heart and is a good example for his children, take the money and donate it to worthy causes, or hire some small businesses to do some work on his properties and help their bottom line and the economy's.
    Last edited by Bball; 03-22-2010 at 12:33 PM.

------

-John Wooden

I honestly can't believe you're arguing against someone going to school.

I honestly can't believe you're arguing against someone going to school.
    I'm not arguing against someone going to school.

He can finish that degree any time.

That quarter of a million dollars is not coming back.

He could've done several things of note with that money if he didn't want/need it himself.

------

-John Wooden

Anyone who can forego a quarter of a million dollars to get a symbolic degree just to make a point with his children obviously has enough money a degree doesn't matter anyway.
    Because clearly an education's sole value is how much money it can bring you.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I see both sides.

I personally say good for him for doing something he feels was right (not you are me, but HE feels it was the right thing to do).

I also see the other side that says he could do other things to encourage education (read a book with his kids every night, encourage them to do science fairs, etc).

With that said Ty felt like it was unrealistic to take 5 classes in Texas and work for the Patriots at the same time.

Question his motives, but I for one will never fault a person for pursuing a degree. Sure we may not agree with it, but it is his life (and his money he is passing up). If he has invested walking away from 250K should not effect his finances in the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Because clearly an education's sole value is how much money it can bring you.
    I'm not arguing against someone going to school.

He can finish that degree any time.

That quarter of a million dollars is not coming back.

He could've done several things of note with that money if he didn't want/need it himself.
    IOW... There's no real time limit on that degree. But the money was there for the taking. On quick glance, passing up the money to get the degree and make a point to his children seems like a worthy motive.

But that assumes HE didn't need the money first and foremost (which is probably a good assumption but you never know). And if HE didn't need the money there are a lot of charities that could've used that money. Maybe some of his family could've used that money. Maybe some business on the brink of closing or laying off workers would've been glad to have been hired with that money.

Read the story about George Karl on the main page here and tell me cancer research or patient care couldn't use that money.

What about setting up a scholarship fund and using the money to send some deserving kid(s) to college to earn their own degree who couldn't afford it otherwise? ...Kids that won't have pro sports to help them build a quick nest egg.

That degree will always be there for him to finish... that quarter of a million dollars is gone and it's not coming back.
    Last edited by Bball; 03-22-2010 at 09:23 PM.

------

-John Wooden