Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chad Ford chats about draft

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Chad Ford chats about draft

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As to Stanko, that's still an open issue. I haven't looked lately, but the intention was always to let him develop in Europe, then bring him over later. Barac is still younger than Brandon Rush and Tyler Hansbrough, and basically the same age as AJ Price and Roy Hibbert. I'm not sure whether I expect him to come over or not, but it's not a closed book.
    Count, to take this point further, where would this board be without the emergence of Stanko Lover... it has been a pure godsend in these troubled times.

I think the pick of Stanko has already had a significant impact.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does anybody think that we might take our chance at bringing Stanko over after this upcoming season? As in 2011-2012 season where he will be 25? It will be a cheap contract and would fill a roster spot. Give the kid better competition on a daily basis as well. I know we will fill the team with draft picks and free agents (or trades) here in the next year and a half, but I can imagine having the need to fill a end of bench spot with a cheap contract. Thoughts?

I have personally never seen the kid play.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    Does anybody think that we might take our chance at bringing Stanko over after this upcoming season? As in 2011-2012 season where he will be 25? It will be a cheap contract and would fill a roster spot. Give the kid better competition on a daily basis as well. I know we will fill the team with draft picks and free agents (or trades) here in the next year and a half, but I can imagine having the need to fill a end of bench spot with a cheap contract. Thoughts?

I have personally never seen the kid play.
    Stanko and whoever ( I don't remember the other Euro that we drafted cuz it was so long ago ) are like the red-headed step kid that was sent away to Boarding School that no one sees. One would figure that we'd do something with either kid that we drafted way back when.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    Besides, Bird might have had some(little) expectations for Stanko, but mostly he and Lorbek were safe choices that a team with many bad contracts didn't have to pay if they turned out to be the bums that they are.
    Why do you think Lorbek is a bum? I'll have to disagree. Clear-cut NBA quality rotational big; easily the most skilled big man in Europe right now. Do you believe he won't translate his game to the NBA?

Barac is nowhere near Lorbek's level but he's having a solid season. He's been starting games and playing plenty of minutes lately due to Splitter's injury, something that will probably help him down the road but also exposed his current limitations at this level. I'm sceptical about Barac ever being a NBA player, but stranger things have happened. Next season, with Splitter probably gone, will be decisive for Barac, I think.

pacergod2 - Barac already makes more than the NBA min. salary (and who knows how much is that going to be post 2011). His current ability is at most at a Solomon Jones level. To make it worth for him salary wise, you'd need to pay him at least a Solomon Jones salary. I think you can get that kind of player for less money (and if you're willing to pay a premium on potential, why waste the money in a player whose NBA rights you already hold?); you can get players with Barac's ability with minimum salary contracts or with some luck even with a D-League call-up. In any case, Barac's contract lasts till 2012.
    Last edited by cordobes; 03-19-2010 at 01:24 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Worst Post Ever

Larry has taken way more black than white players get your facts straight b 4 you post. He took Shawne Williams, James White, Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, AJ Price and Tyler Hansbrough. Thing b 4 you post Buster
    Yep, lets just all keep burying our head in the sands

Your right its never a coincidence
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I won't lie, if the Pacers draft Aldrich it will be hard to explain to more skeptical people that the Pacers don't target white players if we retain Dunleavy, Foster, Hansbrough, McRoberts, and Murphy. Add Aldrich, and more than half of the Pacers active roster are white.

I don't want to stir anything up, but the facts on the ground are the facts on the ground.
    look if all the white players were of different color, but they were 7 footers (which would make us have 6 seven footers,)

would we all not think "jeez, Bird must really love 7 footers"

we would be saying its not coincidence that we have 6 7 footers, its Birds preference

since its focused on race, its taboo to discuss

bottom line, only one person knows if Bird favors white players

Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    look if all the white players were of different color, but they were 7 footers (which would make us have 6 seven footers,)

would we all not think "jeez, Bird must really love 7 footers"

we would be saying its not coincidence that we have 6 7 footers, its Birds preference

since its focused on race, its taboo to discuss

bottom line, only one person knows if Bird favors white players

Larry Bird
    I don't think Bird is racist, but I do think he has a certain perception of basketball fans that is influencing his decision re: race.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I don't think Bird is racist, but I do think he has a certain perception of basketball fans that is influencing his decision re: race.
    Racist is an extreemly strong word. It implies that one wants absolutely nothing to do with any race other than his own, and hopes for the downfall of others

Their is no way on Gods green earth I view Bird as racist, not one bit

If he has the thought that certain Caucasian players bring something to the table and he wants a "white star", that might have some truth

but I would never ever call Bird a racist, its an insult to not only Bird, but the meaning of the word itself

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I won't lie, if the Pacers draft Aldrich it will be hard to explain to more skeptical people that the Pacers don't target white players if we retain Dunleavy, Foster, Hansbrough, McRoberts, and Murphy. Add Aldrich, and more than half of the Pacers active roster are white.

I don't want to stir anything up, but the facts on the ground are the facts on the ground.
    I really want Cousins or Favors. If we are drafting further back in the draft, I wouldn't want us to draft Aldrich and not because he's white, but because we don't need another young center to battle with Roy for time and a starting spot. He's not much of a PF.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    But the point is that complaining about late 2nd round picks really is a waste of time. They're total crap shoots. The mistake with White wasn't in trading away the three draft picks. They amounted to nothing (Alexander Johnson, Derrick Byars, Mike Taylor). The mistake was guaranteeing the contract.
    Fair enough.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!