Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford chats about draft

Default Re: Chad Ford chats about draft

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah yes. "He's not white, he's European!" Anybody else remember that?
    Found it!

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...d.php?p=388981

EDIT: Seriously, guys, follow the link. It's pure awesome.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Enough with this Larry only wants whites and/or Larry isn't allowed to get anyone white crap!
    Oh, I agree it's idiotic.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anthem, it wasn't me who peed in your kool-aid. Straw-man, completely unfair. I should have ignored the comment anyway. I don't want to debate this. American history makes the race of these players too important. Who cares buddy. I just thought it was fair to defend Bird. Hanbrough's good, IMO. Euro boys were intentional anti-picks, IMO. Glad this thread will die now. Officially ignored.

Sorry Hicks, didn't expect a response like that from an respected member. If it had been someone else I would have left it alone after the first reply that was originally intended to point out unfair judgements which have zero use here anyway.

There are better ways to discredit Bird without the use of logical fallacies.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Oh, I agree it's idiotic.
    Yet, you argue the idea.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    There are better ways to discredit Bird without the use of logical fallacies.
    I wasn't trying to back up the idea, I just don't think the approach of white vs black draft picks is one that'll work for ya... especially when you leave white players off the list. Your overall point I don't disagree with. Just trying to get the details correct.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post

It's up for debate that Bird selected Granger and Lorbek.

If he did, it's still 3:1. Hansbrough being better than 4.

Stanko was traded for with a 2009 2nd rounder. Not drafted

Besides, Bird might have had some(little) expectations for Stanko, but mostly he and Lorbek were safe choices that a team with many bad contracts didn't have to pay if they turned out to be the bums that they are.

Stanko and Lorbek are from Europe. Europeans tend to be pink instead mocha anyway.

In regards to Lorbek and Stanko, they have Bird's prints all over them. He spent his 1st year and a half in Europe scouting talent. Stanko was picked by Bird who got the pick from either the Heat or the Magic.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    In regards to Lorbek and Stanko, they have Bird's prints all over them. He spent his 1st year and a half in Europe scouting talent. Stanko was picked by Bird who got the pick from either the Heat or the Magic.
    Right. And I'm totally comfortable saying that Bird would have drafted them exactly the same if they'd been of African/Asian/South American extraction.

I'm just saying if you want to prove Bird's not a racist because of his ratio of black/white draftees (not a promising approach, IMO), you'd better include all of the white guys that he actually drafted. Besides the obvious problems with that approach, it will almost certainly come back to bite you when compared to ratios of the NBA as a whole.

The best argument for non-racism on Bird's part is his character and competitiveness. He wants his club to win, and I really don't think he'd care if you were purple if you helped the team win games.

A lot of the "Bird loves white players" stuff comes out of Pacers misinformation, actually... for example, when TPTB floated that Bird was infatuated with Luke Jackson when actually he was after Ben Gordon.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

So if we land the 2nd pick and a team like Minny or NJ land #1, do they take Turner or will it only take a little to trade up for Wall?

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    So if we land the 2nd pick and a team like Minny or NJ land #1, do they take Turner or will it only take a little to trade up for Wall?
    It's too soon to say. Check back in two months.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

It's too soon to say. Check back in two months.

Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    I'm serious, though. There's no way to answer the question. Too many variables.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

It's fun to speculate and then have really serious argument about who's speculation is more full of it.

(I agree with you, in premise.)

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Well, let's take a peek at the white board in Larry's office ..................

Luke Harangody.
    Chris Kramer.
    Cole Aldrich.

I don't think Gordon Hayward or Matt Howard are entering the draft.

I'm sure at least one of those will be there at 2, 3 or 4.
    Worst Post Ever

Larry has taken way more black than white players get your facts straight b 4 you post. He took Shawne Williams, James White, Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, AJ Price and Tyler Hansbrough. Thing b 4 you post Buster

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I won't lie, if the Pacers draft Aldrich it will be hard to explain to more skeptical people that the Pacers don't target white players if we retain Dunleavy, Foster, Hansbrough, McRoberts, and Murphy. Add Aldrich, and more than half of the Pacers active roster are white.

I don't want to stir anything up, but the facts on the ground are the facts on the ground.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I won't lie, if the Pacers draft Aldrich it will be hard to explain to more skeptical people that the Pacers don't target white players if we retain Dunleavy, Foster, Hansbrough, McRoberts, and Murphy. Add Aldrich, and more than half of the Pacers active roster are white.

I don't want to stir anything up, but the facts on the ground are the facts on the ground.
    Those are people who have already made up their mind and will never be open to changing their opinion.

Larry Bird is not prohibited from taking white players, yet to listen to some you'd think that's what the "unwritten rule" is if Larry were to ever even come close to shutting them up; take all non-whites from now on, or face their "wrath".

It's not like you want him taking a lesser player just to avoid taking a white guy, and vice versa.

Larry Bird is highly competitive. He'll take whomever he thinks helps us win the most games, and color of skin is irrelevant.

This stupidity never seems to die.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post

Yeah, this is true.

But...

Since I think the Pacers are going to be picking around 8th, there's a very high likelihood that Aldrich could actually be the best player available when they're up.

Mostly, it would just be a pain in the ***.

Well, let's not forget about Sarunas and Stanko.

My post was intended as some off-color humor. Hence the 'white board' mention. Get it ?? White Board is an actual office item that ............. oh, nevermind.

Apparently, the humor was missed by some - or many.

BTW - wouldn't James White be considered a white player ?? (More humor for the laugh impaired.)

I really don't think Bird targets white players, but I will say this - I will be pissed if he takes a white player, just because I'm sick of being the least athletic team since the 1960's.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Let's approach this from a logical and reasonable manner. If Aldrich is truly the best player available then.... by all means draft him. But realistically, after the top 4 picks of Wall, Turner, Favors and Cousins..... there is no obvious choice. Unless Aldrich is heads and shoulders better then anyone else available......it's debateable at that point IMHO ..... .......enough that it's acceptable to factor in need and whether he would fit in next to Hibbert beyond the 2010-2011 season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Right. And I'm totally comfortable saying that Bird would have drafted them exactly the same if they'd been of African/Asian/South American extraction.

I'm just saying if you want to prove Bird's not a racist because of his ratio of black/white draftees (not a promising approach, IMO), you'd better include all of the white guys that he actually drafted. Besides the obvious problems with that approach, it will almost certainly come back to bite you when compared to ratios of the NBA as a whole.

The best argument for non-racism on Bird's part is his character and competitiveness. He wants his club to win, and I really don't think he'd care if you were purple if you helped the team win games.

A lot of the "Bird loves white players" stuff comes out of Pacers misinformation, actually... for example, when TPTB floated that Bird was infatuated with Luke Jackson when actually he was after Ben Gordon.
    Actually a lot of the problem is from people assuming that he made a trade that he didn't make.

Donnie Walsh & Chris Mullen did the Murphy, Dunleavy trade but people to this day will not accept both Donnie & Chris's word that they did this deal.

No, it had to be Larry Bird because he wanted both of them.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

For the record, Kevin Pelton's opinion (who was recently hired and has the ear of the Pacers) on Wall and Turner.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...articleid=1008

Though John Wall may be the better prospect, Turner is the most NBA-ready player in college basketball and stands an excellent chance of winning Rookie of the Year honors. Still, there will be some areas he'll need to work on to thrive at the next level. Though the Big Ten is a physical league, I still think Turner will have to adjust to playing a more physical game, especially if he is used as a small forward and has to defend (and be defended by) bigger players. I was struck by a couple of plays where Minnesota's posts simply powered through Turner's help defense as he flew by. Adding strength will allow Turner to cause even more problems from the weak side on defense.

http://www.basketballprospectus.com/...articleid=1004

The similarity between the numbers posted by Wall and Rose is pretty remarkable. Rose was a better rebounder in college and turned the ball over less frequently, but Wall has demonstrated superior ability to set up his teammates, both in terms of assist numbers and the court vision he's flashed this season. Evans was a slightly different player--more of a go-to player on offense but less of a passer, befitting the debate over whether he is really a point guard or a shooting guard--but his overall performance was relatively similar to Wall's.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Aside from the race thing, I wish people would stop looking at late 2nd-round picks that didn't make the roster and using them as some kind of "Bird's Picks Suck" ammunition.

Give me a flippin' break.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Aside from the race thing, I wish people would stop looking at late 2nd-round picks that didn't make the roster and using them as some kind of "Bird's Picks Suck" ammunition.

Give me a flippin' break.
    Well, that's fair.

On the other hand, I still say it's crazy to trade 3 picks to draft White and then not sign him, or to trade for Stanko but not try to bring him over. Those aren't "Well I have this pick, might as well use it" moves... they're moves where he went well out of his way to get a guy that didn't end up panning out.

Enjoy your time at PD!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Well, that's fair.

On the other hand, I still say it's crazy to trade 3 picks to draft White and then not sign him, or to trade for Stanko but not try to bring him over. Those aren't "Well I have this pick, might as well use it" moves... they're moves where he went well out of his way to get a guy that didn't end up panning out.
    Well, we actually did sign White, and we paid him for two years after we cut him.

As to Stanko, that's still an open issue. I haven't looked lately, but the intention was always to let him develop in Europe, then bring him over later. Barac is still younger than Brandon Rush and Tyler Hansbrough, and basically the same age as AJ Price and Roy Hibbert. I'm not sure whether I expect him to come over or not, but it's not a closed book.

But the point is that complaining about late 2nd round picks really is a waste of time. They're total crap shoots. The mistake with White wasn't in trading away the three draft picks. They amounted to nothing (Alexander Johnson, Derrick Byars, Mike Taylor). The mistake was guaranteeing the contract.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

ALERT! ALERT! ALERT!

******** POSSIBLE SIGNIFICANT THREAD DERAILMENT ADVISORY ********

Department of Pacerland Security officials are currently on the scene of a potentially significant thread derailment. It is unclear at this time whether there is any actual danger to posters in the area of the derailment, but officials are acting out of an abundance of caution. It also remains unclear whether an evacuation and closure of this thread will be required as this situation continues to develop.

Details to follow when more information regarding this tragic accident or the subject of the OP become available.

We now return you to regularly scheduled posting, already in progress...