View Poll Results: Who do you like better as a pick for the Pacers?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • You would rather have Patterson.

31 46.27%
  • You would rather have Monroe.

36 53.73%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Patterson or Monroe

Default Re: Patterson or Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can live with a Speights!

Interesting comparison, but I just have never see Speights put the ball on the floor and drive like what I've seen Monroe do.
    Thats why I said that I thought he was a better version of Speights. The main question I remember about Speights is that a lot of people doubted his toughness and whether or not he would be able to bang with NBA guys. Similarly the same question is being asked of Monroe. Give Monroe 2 more years of conditioning and I think he will be fine in the NBA. For some reason I think of Monroe like I do with Hibbert. He just never truly was able to use all of his strengths in Georgetowns system.

Personally I don't think Patterson ceiling is as low as Tyler H or McBob but I do think he is not going to be a central piece of this team. Not like Hibbert is/will be and not how Granger has been. As far as Monroe I think he "could be". I am not sure he will be but I do think he has a greater potential to be a star type player in the NBA. Thats what I would prefer to draft.

I like both players for what they can do, but if I had to choose between them I'd take Monroe then try to acquire a tough, enforcer type of PF later. We could really use another Antonio or Dale Davis type of player, but neither Monroe or Patterson are going to be that guy. Patterson is tougher and more athletic than Monroe, but he's still not going to be Davis (either). So I'd take Monroe for now because he has a unique skill set for his position and can probably play 4 and 5. I also can't help but be intrigued by having the passing skills of Hibbert and Monroe from our big men.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Ike's long wingspan didn't seem to help him on D... guys would just go right over him. Same will happen to Patterson if he doesn't have NBA size for his position.
    Ike's size did not help, but his weakness on D had more to do with factors unrelated to his size.

He was a poor defender in part because he wasn't athletic. The long arms were not enough...he needed to move and jump too. He also lacked focus, wasn't that aggressive and didn't seem to put much effort into it at times....but a bigger issue was his microscopic bball IQ.

Patterson may or may not be much better, but one big factor is athleticism and aggressiveness. IMO, that difference by itself is enough to make him a better NBA PF.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Thats why I said that I thought he was a better version of Speights. The main question I remember about Speights is that a lot of people doubted his toughness and whether or not he would be able to bang with NBA guys. Similarly the same question is being asked of Monroe. Give Monroe 2 more years of conditioning and I think he will be fine in the NBA. For some reason I think of Monroe like I do with Hibbert. He just never truly was able to use all of his strengths in Georgetowns system.

Personally I don't think Patterson ceiling is as low as Tyler H or McBob but I do think he is not going to be a central piece of this team. Not like Hibbert is/will be and not how Granger has been. As far as Monroe I think he "could be". I am not sure he will be but I do think he has a greater potential to be a star type player in the NBA. Thats what I would prefer to draft.
    Do you think Monroe is as good as an athlete as Speights is?

I think Monroe is more skilled and essentially a more intelligent player than Speights; but loses big time in terms of athleticism, especially explosiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    So if he's 6'9" he's in great shape, but also in Ike Diogu territory?
    If you flip a coin and it lands on its side, do you call it heads or tails?

If Patterson's under 6'9", I don't want the Pacers to pick him. If he's over 6'9", then I'm fine with it.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'm just trying to figure out how good these guys will be. Are we talking "upgrade from Josh McRoberts" or "upgrade from Dale Davis?"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out how good these guys will be. Are we talking "upgrade from Josh McRoberts" or "upgrade from Dale Davis?"
    At the rate we are winning, it cannot possibly be an upgrade over Dale Davis. We will be fortunate to get anyone significantly better than Tyler and Josh....because this run is not going to stop and we will probably be picking at #10. We have sad sack teams to finish the season...and we are red-hot...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: