View Poll Results: Who do you like better as a pick for the Pacers?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • You would rather have Patterson.

31 46.27%
  • You would rather have Monroe.

36 53.73%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Patterson or Monroe

Default Patterson or Monroe

I've been thinking about this of late. With the way the Murphy's Law Pacers luck runs, if Favors and Cousins are gone when the Pacers draft at 6 or lower, and the Pacers are inclined to draft a PF, who do you like between either Patterson and Monroe?

Personally, I feel the choice between Patterson and Monroe is a more difficult choice than between Favors and Cousins. What are your thoughts about each?
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 03-16-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Default Re: Patterson or Monroe

nbadraft.net compares

Patterson to Buck Williams

Monroe to a less athletic Lamar Odom

Banned

Patterson is to low under 10th he is more like 11th 12th or higher, the same could be said about Monroe, I don't think that neither guy is top ten.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Patterson is to low under 10th he is more like 11th 12th or higher, the same could be said about Monroe, I don't think that neither guy is top ten.

The thread isn't about IF they are a top 10 pick or not, but which player would you rather have as a PF for the Pacers.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Monroe is too soft. Not very athletic either.

Patterson all the way.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    The thread isn't about IF they are a top 10 pick or not, but which player would you rather have as a PF for the Pacers.
    If that is the case I would choose Patterson, he is stronger and would complement Hibbert better, the guy still young enough to get better, can also shoot from outside and play good D

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like Monroe better, but Patterson is probably a better fit with us. Still, I'd take Monroe if it were between the two of them.

I'd go with Patterson.
    Grown Man Ball

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Patterson 100 times out of 100, please.

He's arguably the most polished big man in the entire draft.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Banned

Here are some videos that we could use to compare both guys

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Patterson, but I would HOPE we would get a pick or two to three higher. Favors is who I would want after Wall and Turner.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

I think they will both be good players. Patterson seems like he's more ready now being an upperclassman, but I think Monroe will be better in the long run.

There's just something about GTown big guys (with the exception of Sweetney who wasn't as long as the other) Mourning, Mutumbo, Ewing of the past, and then Hibbert and even Jeff Green of the future.

I think Monroe is the better all around player, he can score, rebound, defend and is a very good passer for his size.

If the Pacers don't land a top 4 selection, I wouldn't mind trading down a few slots and land Monroe plus another piece

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Monroe
    Murph

This is a close one for me but I went with Monroe. Some of those passes by Monroe are sick for a big man. I do think Patterson would bring a needed element to the team as well - size with athleticism. That's why I am here and our scouts and Larry get to figure this stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mourning View Post
    Patterson, but I would HOPE we would get a pick or two to three higher. Favors is who I would want after Wall and Turner.

So would I, but we are talking about the Pacers. I can see the Pacers winning a # of games closing out the season dropping them to 7-8 and then another team or 2 behind the Pacers in the lottery getting a top 3 pick pushing the Pacers down even more. It would just be the Pacers luck.

Sports Logo

Tell me the following to help me decide:

1 ) Whose more athletic?
    2 ) Who is quick and mobile enough to guard quicker and more mobile Frontcourt Players that don't necessarily score in the Low-Post?
    3 ) Whose stronger and won't get pushed around in the paint?

Based off of the way that Seth has been hyping Patterson....but I'm unsure about his atheleticsm and mobility when it comes to guarding more athletic Big Men ( either at the PF or Center spot ).

I'd go with him....but I do see that Monroe is doing much better and has that "Lamar Odom" label pinned to him.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Monoroe is bigger, more skilled and a year younger. Patterson is quicker and more athletic.

I'd take Monroe, but if we're looking for someone who better fits alongside Roy, with more agility and ability to defend perimeter-orientated PF's, Patterson better fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

1 ) Whose more athletic?
    2 ) Who is quick and mobile enough to guard quicker and more mobile Frontcourt Players that don't necessarily score in the Low-Post?

Based off of the way that Seth has been hyping Patterson....but I'm unsure about his atheleticsm and mobility when it comes to guarding more athletic Big Men ( either at the PF or Center spot ).

I'd go with him....but I do see that Monroe is doing much better and has that "Lamar Odom" label pinned to him.
    Patterson is more athletic.
    Patterson is quicker and would be better able to guard more mobile players.
    Not really sure who is stronger.

Like I said in another thread, I think Monroe is going to end up playing center in the NBA. Playing him in a role like David Lee plays for the Knicks would behoove everyone involved.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post

1 ) Whose more athletic?

Patterson is quicker and more athletic.

He has yet to really be physically tested because relatively speaking, he's pretty much bigger than most all college PFs he faces. In the NBA, he's going to be slightly undersized. At that level, I just don't think there's anything about him that really stands out to me. He's pretty athletic but not a freak. He's a bit undersized. He's alright skillwise, but has a long ways to go.

I'm worried about Monroe's lack of athleticism, but if he can do a passable job of defending and rebounding, then I like him more than Patterson for a very simple reason: He has offensive skills that are hard to find for a guy his size (and he's bigger than Patterson). His passing ability is something we haven't seen from a PF since Chris Webber. He can handle the ball and make plays from the PF position, which I'm sure is appealing to a lot of coaches.

In a lot of ways, Monroe is kind of like a young Webber without the athleticism, so try to make something out of that. Or perhaps, he's kind of like the "older" version of Webber when he lost his hops but was still kind of serviceable. The reason Monroe is going to make it in the league is because he has clearly discernible (and hard to find) skills at his position. But that lack of athleticism does scare me. I really don't know how much of a defender he's going to be at the next level.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut N Beer View Post
    This is a close one for me but I went with Monroe. Some of those passes by Monroe are sick for a big man. I do think Patterson would bring a needed element to the team as well - size with athleticism. That's why I am here and our scouts and Larry get to figure this stuff out.
    We can never have enough Big Men that can pass.....but it would seem that Hibbert is filling that role pretty well. IMHO....we need some a serious injection of athleticsm in the Frontcourt that complements Hibbert. If Patterson is that guy...I'd take him over Monroe.

Besides.....I'd guess that if we wanted a similiar Player to Odom.....why not just go for Odom himself? It's mere speculation on my part....but I wouldn't be surprised if the there is some discussion between the Pacers and Lakers sometime between now and the 2010-2011 Trade Deadline to do some swap involving Odom+filler for Murphy sometime before the 2010-2011 Trade deadline. My guess is that the Lakers will likely be over the LT at the start of the 2011-2012 season and would likely be looking for some Cap Relief before the end of the 2010-2011 season.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post

He has yet to really be physically tested because relatively speaking, he's pretty much bigger than most all college PFs he faces. In the NBA, he's going to be slightly undersized. At that level, I just don't think there's anything about him that really stands out to me. He's pretty athletic but not a freak. He's a bit undersized. He's alright skillwise, but has a long ways to go.

I'm worried about Monroe's lack of athleticism, but if he can do a passable job of defending and rebounding, then I like him more than Patterson for a very simple reason: He has offensive skills that are hard to find for a guy his size (and he's bigger than Patterson). His passing ability is something we haven't seen from a PF since Chris Webber. He can handle the ball and make plays from the PF position, which I'm sure is appealing to a lot of coaches.

In a lot of ways, Monroe is kind of like a young Webber without the athleticism, so try to make something out of that. Or perhaps, he's kind of like the "older" version of Webber when he lost his hops but was still kind of serviceable. The reason Monroe is going to make it in the league is because he has clearly discernible (and hard to find) skills at his position. But that lack of athleticism does scare me. I really don't know how much of a defender he's going to be at the next level.
    Athleticism is really important for me at this point when it comes to filling out our Frontcourt. Get me a PF that has enough skill/strength to defend the Low-Post but is Mobile/Athletic enough so that he can wander away from the paint to defend more perimeter-oriented Big Men. Seriously....I do not to have any future discussions about why the only reason Granger plays the PF spot only because he's the most athletic Forward that we have....I want to fill our huge gaping hole that Granger is currently plugged into because we have no other athletic Forwards on the roster other than him.

Those two bolded points you made I really agree with. Patterson to me is just a dime a dozen. We could pick up a guy like that for about 4-6 million and he would fulfill a good 6th man role.

Monore on the other hand could be much much more but we will have to wait it out to see. I could easily see Hibbert and Monroe on the floor much like Gasol/Odom and Bynum are for the Lakers. Not the best defensively but they sure can hurt you.

I'll let the measurements and the personal workout address Monroe's athleticism. I have been surprised in the past with guys like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Those two bolded points you made I really agree with. Patterson to me is just a dime a dozen. We could pick up a guy like that for about 4-6 million and he would fulfill a good 6th man role.

Monore on the other hand could be much much more but we will have to wait it out to see. I could easily see Hibbert and Monroe on the floor much like Gasol/Odom and Bynum are for the Lakers. Not the best defensively but they sure can hurt you.

I'll let the measurements and the personal workout address Monroe's athleticism. I have been surprised in the past with guys like him.
    Yeah, often times, the guys who do better in the NBA are the ones who do 1 or 2 things distinctly well as oppposed to the guys who are just sort of OK at everything.

I look at Patterson and I really can't find much fault with him as a college bigman. He's very solid and seems to do everything at least reasonably well and I fully expect him to be an NBA player. Thing is, if you've already got a guy like Chris Wilcox on your team, how much more of an upgrade do you envision Patterson being? I just dunno. At the pro level, I don't see anything that really stands out and screams to me that I'm going to regret passing on him in the draft. Is this guy going to be a plus rebounder? A plus scorer or passer? A plus defender? A plus low post scorer? I'm not saying h can't any of these things, but at the same time, it's certainly not obvious to me that he will be.

With Monroe, I'm at least confident that his passing, ballhandling and playmaking/facilitating abilities are very good for an NBA bigman. And I can see that he has good size for a PF. I know those are areas he can excel in. Yeah, I'm kind of discouraged by the fact that he's pretty much nailed to the floor and nothing to write home about athletically. But still, if he can rebound the ball well and do a passable job of defending, then his strengths are a big plus in the NBA game.

Yeah, often times, the guys who do better in the NBA are the ones who do 1 or 2 things distinctly well as oppposed to the guys who are just sort of OK at everything.

I look at Patterson and I really can't find much fault with him as a college bigman. He's very solid and seems to do everything at least reasonably well and I fully expect him to be an NBA player. Thing is, if you've already got a guy like Chris Wilcox on your team, how much more of an upgrade do you envision Patterson being? I just dunno. At the pro level, I don't see anything that really stands out and screams to me that I'm going to regret passing on him in the draft. Is this guy going to be a plus rebounder? A plus scorer or passer? A plus defender? A plus low post scorer? I'm not saying h can't any of these things, but at the same time, it's certainly not obvious to me that he will be.

With Monroe, I'm at least confident that his passing, ballhandling and playmaking/facilitating abilities are very good for an NBA bigman. And I can see that he has good size for a PF. I know those are areas he can excel in. Yeah, I'm kind of discouraged by the fact that he's pretty much nailed to the floor and nothing to write home about athletically. But still, if he can rebound the ball well and do a passable job of defending, then his strengths are a big plus in the NBA game.

They are opposite type PF's. I haven't made my decision between the 2, but I'm not sure Monroe can get out and guard the athletic PF's. The Pacers need more length and athleticism in the front court. It will be interesting to see how both play in the NCAA Tournament and what their true measurements are.

I am 100% in love with Monroe's skill level. However, I do worry about his softness. He's not going to be the Dale Davis enforcer type PF that should be playing next to Hibbert. He is, however, a good rebounder and will be able to average around 10 rpg in the NBA. Pairing Monroe and Hibbert would be the best passing PF/C combo in the NBA by far. The other thing I like about Monroe is that you can play him at center, which I don't think you can do with Patterson. Projecting it forward, a Monroe/Hansbrough frontcourt is possible, a Patterson/Hansbrough frontcourt is a bit scary. I think Monroe's athleticism will be average at the NBA level, but that he's smart enough to overcome that if he has the desire to do so.

With Monroe, you've really got to get in his head before you draft him. If you're convinced that the motor issues and the softness aren't significant, then he's the guy.

I like Patterson, but I think he'll have to change his game a lot once he gets into the NBA. He reminds me a bit of Corliss Williamson.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

28. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post: