Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Captain Jack asks for forgiveness

Default Captain Jack asks for forgiveness

and he has mine. at least he put his heart into playing for the Pacers, and I do not feel the same way about J.O.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...me-by-my-game/

Stephen Jackson: Judge Me By My Game

Cap’n Jack tells the Indy Star that he wants still-bitter fans in Indiana to look at his body of work on the court, not off of it, or in the stands: “The Charlotte Bobcats guard isn’t making excuses for his actions. What he wishes, though, is that Pacers fans would have focused on his basketball skills. Say whatever you want about Jackson, but know this: He wins. ‘I think people are not looking at the fact that I’m human and I make mistakes,’ Jackson said after the Bobcats’ practice Monday. ‘I made two mistakes, but I haven’t been in any trouble since. They need to realize I can play this game and I’ve been effective ever since I’ve been in this league. I help teams win and people should let the negative stuff go and look at the positive things.”‘

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Default Re: Captain Jack asks for forgiveness

He may not have been in trouble, but that trade demand stunt he pulled after signing his extension in Golden State doesn't reflect too well.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He wants people to judge by his game? Has he checked his FG% lately?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I never had any issues with Captain Jack, other than the gun outside of the club thing. As far as him going into the stands to help Ron-Ron, I would've done the same thing in his shoes. Goes back to the old saying, "You know who your friends are because they aren't the ones bailing you out of jail. They'll be sitting right there with you in the cell." I'd rather have a teammate who would go to war with me if it came down to it, then one who is just going to let me go run into the stands and get mobbed all by myself.
    Grown Man Ball

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Have you checked his winning percentage? He has won everywhere he's been

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    He may not have been in trouble, but that trade demand stunt he pulled after signing his extension in Golden State doesn't reflect too well.
    No, it does not look good, but let's look at it this way. The Warriors beat the Mavs, and then trade Jason Richardson, don't sign Baron Davis or Matt Barnes. they lost a lot of talent after.

He is probably in the latter stages of his prime and all he wants to do is win, he didn't sign his contract to be with a rebuilding project. Yes I know no one forced him to sign his contract either

Mood

I've never gotten into the whole pro/against Jackson. I was always a bit frustrated by him in that he played hard, played when visibly hurt (which was a big issue with some of our other players at the time). He could've been a fan favorite because of those two things. However, our tolerance for the other stuff was impacted by the then recent experience of getting burned by Artest after having supported him through the brawl fallout. That wasn't necessarily Stephen's fault, but it was what it was.

What I could never get past on him was not the off court incidents nor was it the shot selection. In my opinion, the reason that the game watching/attending fan got down on him over time was for the number of times he would not get back on D because he was too busy mouthing to the refs and the times when he showed Rick direct disrespect on the bench or in huddles (though I know he didn't mean harm to Rick by it, it looked like it). You take those traits as a player who plays emotionally and it gets the best of him, add in the off-court stuff, and the picture of a knucklehead gets into your head. Those two things are what soured me on Stephen, much moreso than anything else.

All that said, I harbour no ill will towards him and I wish him the best.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewtone For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post

No, it does not look good, but let's look at it this way. The Warriors beat the Mavs, and then trade Jason Richardson, don't sign Baron Davis or Matt Barnes. they lost a lot of talent after.

He is probably in the latter stages of his prime and all he wants to do is win, he didn't sign his contract to be with a rebuilding project. Yes I know no one forced him to sign his contract either
    Golden State pretty much pulled a bait-and-switch on him. Sign the extension, then they git rid of the core players and make Jackson part of a lottery team.
    Grown Man Ball

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Watched any games lately?

http://dberri.wordpress.com/2009/09/...a-better-team/

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I love that move he makes where he stays behind and curses the refs while the man he should be guarding drives the lane for an easy 2.

I do feel ill will towards this jack ***. He was a central figure in the destruction of this franchise from the moment he arrived until the mega trade that was necessary to gt rid of him. Screw this guy. Screw Artest. Screw Tinsley, too. They do not deserve my forgiveness and they will not get it.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    ... And that has translated into actual results, hasn't it?

PD needs to institute a no-Jack policy because there are some dreadful takes around here, stemming from hard feelings and not actual game observations.

Look up what NBA coaches and players say about Jack. We're all just subjective fans.

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    I never had any issues with Captain Jack, other than the gun outside of the club thing. As far as him going into the stands to help Ron-Ron, I would've done the same thing in his shoes. Goes back to the old saying, "You know who your friends are because they aren't the ones bailing you out of jail. They'll be sitting right there with you in the cell." I'd rather have a teammate who would go to war with me if it came down to it, then one who is just going to let me go run into the stands and get mobbed all by myself.
    Whatever, if Jackson was really Artest's friend, he would have pulled him out of the stands and gotten him back into the locker room (along with the rest of the team) as fast as possible.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Whatever, if Jackson was really Artest's friend, he would have pulled him out of the stands and gotten him back into the locker room (along with the rest of the team) as fast as possible.
    Whateva! Jackson went into the stands and fought back fans who were going after Artest. Go watch the video!

F Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    ... And that has translated into actual results, hasn't it?
    Obviously it does, because there is a league average. There is an actual baseline stat to judge players on. It's not just a compiled stat with zero context.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    PD needs to institute a no-Jack policy because there are some dreadful takes around here, stemming from hard feelings and not actual game observations.
    I'm glad you have the ability to watch a game and formulate an opinion based on those observations. I'm also glad you're making the argument that we do not.

I know it's hard for you to believe, but some of us actually don't like his horrible shot selections and constant *****ing at the officials. You know, two of the same EXACT reasons why some of us weren't JO fans.

But yeah, I don't base my opinion on what he does on the court, I let my feelings be formed from his stupid, childish actions only.

Sorry, I read this article earlier this morning on Realgm, and no where does Jackson ask forgiveness for his transgressions when he was a Pacer. He just simply asks fans to look at him differently, nothing about forgive me for my mistakes, just look at me as a player. From reading the thread title, I thought I must have missed his asking for forgiveness to the Pacers earlier this morning, but alas he never came out asking for forgiveness... just to view him as the player he presently is. That's not asking for forgiveness, and makes the thread title misleading.

I look at his box scores every morning, and he usually leads the Bobcats in scoring. He's the main reason why Bobcats are in playoff hunt. He has played well since leaving the Pacers, and that's a credit to him. I wish him well, but I never want to see him in a Pacers uni again.

If I had to choose between Jack and Rush, I'd choose Rush!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 03-16-2010 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    I love that move he makes where he stays behind and curses the refs while the man he should be guarding drives the lane for an easy 2.

I do feel ill will towards this jack ***. He was a central figure in the destruction of this franchise from the moment he arrived until the mega trade that was necessary to gt rid of him. Screw this guy. Screw Artest. Screw Tinsley, too. They do not deserve my forgiveness and they will not get it.
    +1
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

As soon as he stops representing the bloods I will have a higher opinion of him. Until then, I will continue to really not like the guy.

P.S. gangs aren't cool.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

I think I'll continue to miss what I liked about him (most of his game), and continue to thank God I don't have to deal with the stuff I didn't (the rest of his game, his nasty side that he would show towards refs/the coach/players, his part in the brawl, his part in the club rio incident).

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I forgot about the bloods thing, too.

I was going to leave this thread alone. But I want to at least refute the thread title.

"Judge me by my game" is not the same has "Forgive me for my crimes."

Jackson hasn't asked for forgiveness. He has said, in effect, "That's the way I roll, and y'all ought to love me for it."
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    I was going to leave this thread alone. But I want to at least refute the thread title.

"Judge me by my game" is not the same has "Forgive me for my crimes."

Jackson hasn't asked for forgiveness. He has said, in effect, "That's the way I roll, and y'all ought to love me for it."

Ah, someone else sees that Jackson never asked to be forgiven for his transgressions. After 5 plus years, he's not saying forgive me, but judge me on my game not the problems I've caused. Real remorseful!

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

at least he put his heart into playing for the Pacers, and I do not feel the same way about J.O.
    You should feel that way about JO. The dude left it on the floor for us.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    Going into the stands is not "going to war"... it's silly. That's a horrible analogy. Following someone into the stands is even more silly.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post: