Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

  1. #1
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    39
    Posts
    4,979

    Exclamation Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...03/15/coaches/


    excerpt from article..


    Jim O'Brien, Indiana Pacers

    Yes, O'Brien signed a contract extension before the season. Yes, he has the endorsement of team president Larry Bird. But O'Brien has lost this team, according to multiple sources, in part because he has not taken an interest in developing or establishing relationships with the younger players. Nothing is worse than when a team collectively decides to tune out a coach. There are several indications that the Pacers have done just that, including an Indianapolis Star report that the players have quit on O'Brien. One source said that when assistant Lester Conner filled in briefly for O'Brien earlier this season, the players responded well to him. Many around the league wondered why Bird extended O'Brien's deal when he did not have to. It remains to be seen how that decision will affect the next one.








    .
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

  2. #2

    Default Re: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    While I certainly agree with the article to an extent and want to believe it, I just don't see that the team has quit on O'Brien. There were reports a few games back that several young players were having good in-game interactions with Jim, plus we've seen several games where the players haven't quit.

    Contrast that to March 2007 when JO/Tinsley et. al wouldn't even join Carlisle in the huddle when they were playing and you'll see a big difference.

    The interesting thing though is some of the behind the scenes rumblings and the Pacers performance and post-game quotes from players when Lester was the coach. They certainly point towards a coach that has lost his/her players.

  3. #3
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,228

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    I really think he lost them a long time ago.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  4. #4

    Default Re: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I certainly agree with the article to an extent and want to believe it, I just don't see that the team has quit on O'Brien. There were reports a few games back that several young players were having good in-game interactions with Jim, plus we've seen several games where the players haven't quit.

    Contrast that to March 2007 when JO/Tinsley et. al wouldn't even join Carlisle in the huddle when they were playing and you'll see a big difference.

    The interesting thing though is some of the behind the scenes rumblings and the Pacers performance and post-game quotes from players when Lester was the coach. They certainly point towards a coach that has lost his/her players.
    I think that's more of the difference between players rather than coaches.

    You have a group of nice guys, who will keep up good PR.

    I think it's also pretty clear that the players like each other. So I think they aren't quitting playing for each other.

  5. #5
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,123

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    This team quit on him 20 games into the season.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This team quit on him 10 games into the season.
    fixed.......

  7. #7
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    Well even if the players haven't quit on JOB, the fans sure have.

  8. #8
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,762

    Default Re: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    There is nothing new or news worthy in that little article about Jim. He just wrote that by piecing together stuff from Indystar.com. The thing about the players responding to Conner is a bunch of bull.

    Don't get me wrong, the players have to a degree quit on the coach, but this article is just poorly researched and adds nothing new

  9. #9
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    I still say Obie is gone April 15th, so this ongoing discussion will be over.

    I think when a team loses like this team has a coaching change is in order, period, unless it's Jerry Sloan or the like. So I disagree with many on the job he's done with the ingredients he was given, but it's a moot point since he should be gone anyway.

    This is a dead issue to me unless it becomes Aug/Sept and he's still onboard or Bird comes out, again, and says this is our coach or somehow extends him.

    If he extends him, I'll probably take a leave of abscence from the board, since it will probably go down from the weight of the issue.

    On a side note, I think Pacer support spirit is alive and well in a big way, we just need something to get behind.

    As an avid/diehard fan, I feel like that 3 year plan is coming to a an excellerated head in the next 11 months, I'm excited for it.

    The end of this year will feel like a long hot shower, to me. It'll be nice to get the stink off and start fresh.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,734

    Default Re: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As an avid/diehard fan, I feel like that 3 year plan is coming to a an excellerated head in the next 11 months, I'm excited for it.
    I hope you are right. I think we all hope you are right.

    The end of this year will feel like a long hot shower, to me. It'll be nice to get the stink off and start fresh.
    That is a really good way to put it. Chances are the whole team feels the same.

  12. #11

    Default Re: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As an avid/diehard fan, I feel like that 3 year plan is coming to a an accelerated head in the next 11 months, I'm excited for it.

    Could you explain this in detail? I can imagine, but it would be good to read what you have in mind.

    Thanks.


    .
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  13. #12
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could you explain this in detail? I can imagine, but it would be good to read what you have in mind.

    Thanks.


    .
    I think all of the chips are ripe for cashing in, mostly. I see Troy, Jeff, TJ, Dunleavy, and Solo accounting for 40 million dollars in salary currently being allocated that will be expiring contracts. What can 40 million buy you? I'd hope you can spend those salary slots better than that group. Hopefully more bang than your buck. Speaking of salary slots, you have 2.8 of Watson expiring in 4 weeks and 5.5 of Tinsley dead money after next year.

    Add in a high lottery pick and a good second rounder this year.

    Experience for the current Freshmen and Sophomores on the roster (hoping Hansbrough is viable moving forward.)

    It just seems like things are on the uptick to me.

    Of course, just because it seems like bottom doesn't mean it is.

    Every decision has a domino type impact, but it feels like you can almost start to work your way back up the mountain now, at least in my humble opinion.

    I guess the big thing is this, Simon has always been willing to commit money right up to the threshold. I think they'll be able to use that money better now.

    Question will be if they are smart enough to do it.

    In summary, pieces are ripe to cash in and I think we've hit bottom, so nowhere to go but up.

    I'd like to pick specific "things" they could do, maybe more later.

    Thanks for inviting me to ramble.

    What do you think?
    Last edited by Speed; 03-16-2010 at 09:58 AM.

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  15. #13
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Coaching carousel could spin slowly

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think all of the chips are ripe for cashing in, mostly. I see Troy, Jeff, TJ, Dunleavy, and Solo accounting for 40 million dollars in salary currently being allocated that will be expiring contracts. What can 40 million buy you? I'd hope you can spend those salary slots better than that group. Hopefully more bang than your buck. Speaking of salary slots, you have 2.8 of Watson expiring in 4 weeks and 5.5 of Tinsley dead money after next year.

    Add in a high lottery pick and a good second rounder this year.

    Experience for the current Freshmen and Sophomores on the roster (hoping Hansbrough is viable moving forward.)

    It just seems like things are on the uptick to me.

    Of course, just because it seems like bottom doesn't mean it is.

    Every decision has a domino type impact, but it feels like you can almost start to work your way back up the mountain now, at least in my humble opinion.

    I guess the big thing is this, Simon has always been willing to commit money right up to the threshold. I think they'll be able to use that money better now.

    Question will be if they are smart enough to do it.

    In summary, pieces are ripe to cash in and I think we've hit bottom, so nowhere to go but up.

    I'd like to pick specific "things" they could do, maybe more later.

    Thanks for inviting me to ramble.

    What do you think?
    I agree & will add:

    -Simon stocks have rallies HUGE since l/y, making things a lot easier for them to be patient on the basketball front. The fact that L.Bird was not "Forced" to dump a bad contract rather then wait it out till n/y for "max value" speaks well to Pacer fans that this is truely a "plan" & not PR BS.

    -As more & more teams look towards the future AFTER the FA singing period t/y, I believe many will envy the Pacers having so much cap space that will all be filled w/ players signing under what will then be NEW CBA term contracts (likely smaller in length & $, & w/ more flexibility to end/terminate) that they will be willing to give up greater value/talent NOW, for contract flexibility later. IMO you will hear more & more about this after the FA period t/y is over, as the new CBA will be topic #1.

    -I see our early 2nd rd (+ future considerations) as a solid bargining chip to move up in t/y's draft. I could see teams like Miami (2 mid-rd picks: 16, 18'ish) wanting to lose the cap hold those picks posess so they will have more flexibility in FA. IMO I see us moving up to get another pick in the first(S.Albi?) to strengthen out team.

    -I'm not sure JO'B will be around for n/y. I would think the Pacer job might start drawing an awful lot of interest, as any new coach would want to have the ability to help shape & mold their team from the ground up. Starting this summer, & going thru the trade deadline n/y, we will be discussing trades for our current personell, & IMO a coach would love to have input there. Add in our high pick t/w, the future cap space ever so close, and the on-the-record support of our coach while we execute our "plan" on the executive side, any new coach will know they will be given time.

    There's more I could say, but these are some big off-the-court issues I see lining up in our favor. I'm not saying it's all sunshine & lolli-pop's going forward, but it's not all gloom & doom either.
    Last edited by PacerGuy; 03-16-2010 at 10:25 AM.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Similar Threads

  1. Coaching Philosophy Trees in the NBA
    By gummy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-26-2009, 08:21 PM
  2. Odd thoughts about coaching and management...
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 02:27 PM
  3. Coaching Changes Fluster Manning
    By Sollozzo in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-28-2009, 11:25 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2008, 01:10 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 02:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •