Thread: My friend tried to commit suicide

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Default My friend tried to commit suicide

The past few days my friend has been really down on himself and the world after losing a job and he just hasn't been himself...

I've been trying to keep his spirits up by sending opportunities and trying to support him mentally by saying there is no need to give up hope/etc...and after our convos he seems to be fine...

i didn't check up on him for 2 days and this morning i get a message on facebook from someone whom i've never met telling me that they are a friend of my friend's and that he tried to commit suicide and is in the hospital now...

i just got off the phone with him - he is in recovery from overdosing on pills and that his uncle will be there to look after him for a few days...

I just don't really know what I can do except to be there for him and to keep kicking his *** on how suicide isn't the answer?

Default Re: My friend tried to commit suicide

I'm glad he's okay and didn't successfully kill himself.

Sounds you are a good friend.

No easy answers. I hope it gets better for him and you.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twes For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Damn. I'm sorry Belli. Dont' give him too hard of a time. He's got enough feelings and failure and guilt to last a while.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Just spend time with him, just let him talk to you, don't judge, listen, ask a lot of questions - just be there. Don't even think about giving him advice or try to tell him you know how he feels. Just let him talk, if he isn't much of a talker, just do some activity where he might feel safe to talk as opposed to sitting down in an interview like setting.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-15-2010 at 02:02 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A kid who lives near me recently commited suicide by jumping in front of a moving express train in my town.

Hopefully your friend seeks additional help. Best of luck to both you and him. It's tough to see a friend this depressed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

sorry to hear it mate, it's never good for anyone to have those thoughts and attempt such a drastic action.... I'm just glad he didn't succed as life is to good a opportunity to throw away....

Jobs like woman and cars, come and go, but good friends stay around for ever

My condolences to the kid's family that Tro is talking about... you never know why any would do such a drastic thing, the sad part is, it leaves so much more misery and heartache for the family these people leave behind...

Just be strong for ya mate Bell and say, it can only get better for him, living is worth the small problems and hurdles we all face

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GO!!!!! For This Useful Post:

Yeah, just be with him, listen, and don't feel worried that you need to "save" him or anything. A nonjudgemental ear is probably the best thing you can give him (assuming he's getting the needed medical/psychiatric care.)

Telling him that suicide isn't the answer won't help things - most depressives kind of know this; it's just that suicide sometimes seems like the "only option." It happens when pain exceeds ability to deal with that pain. Just be there and let him know you love him.

I hope your friend improves. Stay strong, belli.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

And even if he feels like hell and seems unappreciative, your mere presence will mean a LOT to him. Depressives oftentimes feel irrevocably isolated - just sitting next to him will be a kindness that he'll never forget.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

agree with all above regarding listening being more important than anything else. Difficult to know what exactly he is thinking, but if you want to cover goals in his life, such as where he wants to be in 3 mos or 3 years, it probably wouldn't hurt but conversation may not be easily lead there. Feel free to relay additional concerns.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kidneypuncher For This Useful Post:

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

thanks for the feedback all...problem is i can't get a hold of him today...no clue where he is...

EDIT - just got a call from him - whew...so he is a bit ok and out of the hospital - will try to catch up with him once i'm over this horrible timed cold/flu that i caught.
    Last edited by bellisimo; 03-16-2010 at 04:03 PM.

I deal with this crap a lot. I'm sorry, dude. The bad news is that it doesn't get any easier.

Luckily he went with pills... usually guys don't. On average, women are 3 times more likely to attempt suicide but guys are 3 times more likely to die in suicide (meaning 9 times more likely to succeed). That's because it's really hard to kill yourself with pills. Guys are much more likely to try the "violent" attempts... motor vehicles, guns, etc.

As for what will help... I generally agree with the folks here that isolation's not a good thing, but that's not a hard and fast rule (sometimes being around people makes the situation WORSE, not better). Antidepressants can frequently make things much worse. It really depends on what's driving the situation.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!