View Poll Results: Who would you want the Pacers to draft out of these two?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • Derrick Favors

62 79.49%
  • DeMarcus Cousins

16 20.51%
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Favors or Cousins?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Favors or Cousins?

Say we missed out on the Wall/Turner sweepstakes, and at #3, this was our consolation. Out of the two--who would you pick?

Default Re: Favors or Cousins?

Cousins looks to have a greater upside but he comes with a ton of baggage. Favors is the safer pick. I would rather go with Cousins. I want the best player not the safest player. When ever I have watched KU he has killed it. He is a rebounding machine, a dunk machine, he plays defense, and he is pretty athletic for 6'11" 250ish.

Oh Yea, he would be the Dale Davis enforcer everyone is talking about wanting next to Hibbert.

Sports Logo

I'll take Favors and not risk it. Neither of them are franchise changing Player where either of them are significantly better then the other. I'm guessing that Cousins has a little more upside....but not enough for me to ignore the apparent emotional baggage.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

When I see Cousins compared to Derrick Coleman and Eddy Curry , I have nightmares. I've seen Cousins listed at 280 will he get even larger and come to suffer the health problem Coleman and Curry have fighting his weight?

He is better right now but attitude and motivation questions send up too big a red flag to totally ignore.

Though Favors is raw something about him just makes me feel he's the safer pick of the two. I see more of a Dale Davis type defender and rebounder in him , with a little better offensive game.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I try & find a team just below us who has a love of Cousins & trade down a spot or two - if we think we can still get who we want. Get a player we want w/o the baggage, pick up an additional pick &/or cash & be happy.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll take Cousins...with the baggage. We need a player with some swagger...attitude.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I try & find a team just below us who has a love of Cousins & trade down a spot or two - if we think we can still get who we want. Get a player we want w/o the baggage, pick up an additional pick &/or cash & be happy.
    Hopefully it is a team under the salary cap and we can unload Dunleavy on them, getting us well under the LT. I wouldn't mind moving down to 7 or 8 and snagging Greg Monroe or Patrick Patterson if it meant we could help the FO out financially going into summer negotiations. That would be huge. I really like Cousins and Favors, but those two are also hyped on potential as well, just like Monroe was last year and the year before. It's funny how these guys stay in school and develop into better players and their draft stock goes down, because potential is so highly valued. That and the "youth" excuse is less applicable for deficiencies in their games as the get older. The problem I have, is that many of the weaknesses are overcome by players with great work ethics. You can't tell how good of a work ethic a college freshman really has. Give them four years and three off-seasons to show you how they improve themsleves and that is a better indicator of their pro career. I was told by a HUGE Kentucky fan (with solid basketball knowledge) the other day when I asked about who will have the best pro career from Kentucky, and he said "hands down it will be Patterson. Cousins will be effective for a couple of years, but Patterson will be the one with the better, 10-plus year NBA career." He also said that Bledsoe will be a better PG than Wall for the pro game, but he didn't elaborate much on that.

Mood

Im going with Favors. Although Cousins seems a bit more polished than Favors. Cousins reminds me of a lazy Derrick Coleman. We dont need to slow front court players (Hibbert & Cousins) running up and down the court. Neither of those guys rebound well either. Especially after seeing the wirey, athletic pf from Miss State eat him alive yesterday, im going with Favors.

With the right coach we can groom Favors into a more polished Pf than he currently is. Favor his more athletic and wills himself to a rebound which I want a pf to do. Both tend to get lost in the games at times, I hardly realize they are playing at times.

You cant go wrong with either, but for the pacers I like Favors slightly more.

2006 WORLD CHAMPION INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Im going with Favors. I like his athleticism that he brings and theres no baggage to worry about
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

From watching them both pretty extensively I'm not so sure that Favors is that far off of a prospect from Cousins based on basketball only, attitude issues aside...Plus I think Favors is a much more explosive athlete. I guess its what you want -- a bigger, more plodding bruiser 4/5 type or a pure 4 with explosive athleticism. From a pure basketball standpoint, I don't think we could go wrong with either, but because of Cousins' attitude I'm goin with Favors...

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I'll take Cousins...with the baggage. We need a player with some swagger...attitude.
    I voted for Favors... but I'd be happy with Cousins because of what duke said. Safer pick vs. riskier player with more upside. I see the merits of both approaches.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisjacobs7 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjacobs7 View Post
    I voted for Favors... but I'd be happy with Cousins because of what duke said. Safer pick vs. riskier player with more upside. I see the merits of both approaches.
    This team needs a "bad guy". Not necessarily a player who will frequent the clubs, but someone with that "me against the world" mentality. Someone who can bust his way through the lane with little regard.

Swagger, Cousins has that. I don't want a team full of "nice guys". We need attitude.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Mood

Cousins is the better player but Favors is good enough that the maturity issues Cousins has makes it a wash. If I'm at #3, I would take Cousins (oops, I accidentally voted for Favors). His range for me goes from Michael Beasley to Dale Davis. If he ends up leaning more toward Dale Davis, that's a home run of a pick. Still, if I were sitting at #4, knowing that if one of them goes at 3 and I still get the other at 4, I'd be pretty happy with that.
    Last edited by travmil; 03-15-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sobchak View Post
    From watching them both pretty extensively I'm not so sure that Favors is that far off of a prospect from Cousins based on basketball only, attitude issues aside...Plus I think Favors is a much more explosive athlete. I guess its what you want -- a bigger, more plodding bruiser 4/5 type or a pure 4 with explosive athleticism. From a pure basketball standpoint, I don't think we could go wrong with either, but because of Cousins' attitude I'm goin with Favors...
    I haven't watched any College Ball and have only read what most of you have posted on Favors and Cousins and what I have read on scouting reports on either of them....so my opinion is somewhat limited.

Someone that is more knowledgeable on evaluating College Players can confirm for me.....but from what I have read....there isn't anybody that has said that Cousins is so much better then Favors that Cousins' potential/upside/whatever is worth taking him over Favors at the cost of accepting whatever baggage that Cousins may have. Even if both pan out....and the "attitude" concerns about Cousins are unfounded.....I don't get the sense that Cousins' a Franchise-level player to build a Team around that we'd be missing out on....I get the sense that both are Starting quality Big Men that will help out a Team that needs some serious Frontcourt help....where one ( Cousins ) appears to have the potential to be slightly ( but not significantly ) better then the other ( Favors ).

My analogy would be the difference between Amare and LaMarcus Aldridge has on their respective Teams. Both are Starting quality Frontcourt Players....where one is more flashier than the other and the other is more fundamentally sound then the other....but both ( in the end ) turned out to be quality Big Men that helps anchor their Frontcourt.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I haven't seen enough of any of them to give an opinion on who's better, but I'm almost 100% sure that if the Pacers draft Cousins they'll trade Hibbert right after. That's just too much slowness for today's game (even though Cousins isn't a slow player for a center at all - but to play at the PF, he probably needs to be paired with a center like Thabeet, not Hibbert). Favors seems to be a much more natural fit.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This team needs a "bad guy". Not necessarily a player who will frequent the clubs, but someone with that "me against the world" mentality. Someone who can bust his way through the lane with little regard.

Swagger, Cousins has that. I don't want a team full of "nice guys". We need attitude.
    I agree 100%... I'm just afraid Cousins can't control that attitude and would end up getting in trouble. If he were able to control it though, I would love to see a player with that type of attitude/swagger on the team.

Mood

Dangerous game to write off Cousin's issues/concerns as him just "having an attitude" that we "need". If both were available, I'd take Favors and not look back.

If you want a bad boy on this team, make sure he's not one of your core, or else you're begging for something to go wrong that you can't easily fix. Get "bad boy" role players if you want them.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

I voted for Favors. Cousins just has too much attitude and emotion to trust not having another PR nightmare waiting to happen. My feeling is Cousins, at 19, will be going against NBA bigs, not NCAA kids, and his temperament and maturity just isn't going to be able to handle the frustration of the NBA level of competition. After watching him play and his interaction with Calipari, he looks like one situation from going ARTEST. I just don't see Herb Simon being able to afford the gamble after all the PR problems from players over the last 5 years that has virtually destroyed a once proud sports franchise to put himself back in that situation again.

If the Pacers had the 4th pick and Favors had already been picked, I'd hope Bird would trade the pick in an expanded deal to receive multiple picks and player/players that could help the Pacers for the future.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Cousins production is quite a bit superior to Favors.

Cordobes has a good point about Cousins and Hibbert being highly incompatible. Drafting Cousins and trading Hibbert would send the message "Hey, this nice, likeable player thing hasn't worked out for us the past couple of seasons, so we're going to try going back to the old way of fielding a team of unlikable guys who might win a few more games. Oh, and don't mention Shawne Williams, he was an anomaly."

Cousins has too much baggage for me. Personally, I'm hoping he's gone before we pick if we don't get Wall or Turner. I'd prefer not to have to make a decision on him at all.

In general I have a hard time trusting anyone who would voluntarily associate themselves with John Calipari (the Jerry Tarkanian of today's NCAA). This goes for John Wall, as well, but I think he's worth the risk.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

Favors.

He's super athletic and mobile, and he'd be a better compliment to Roy Hibbert. A frontcourt of Hibbert and Cousins just seems too slow and below the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukins View Post
    Cousins reminds me of a lazy Derrick Coleman.
    Ouch. That's like saying "smelly garbage dump."
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Dangerous game to write off Cousin's issues/concerns as him just "having an attitude" that we "need". If both were available, I'd take Favors and not look back.

If you want a bad boy on this team, make sure he's not one of your core, or else you're begging for something to go wrong that you can't easily fix. Get "bad boy" role players if you want them.
    Like what? Why does the toughest player have to be a role player? I honestly think that Cousins' attitude "problems" aren't really a problem. Right now he's in a system that breeds messed up attitudes. That doesn't mean he won't humble somewhat in the NBA.

Look, this team needs some color, and I don't mean that in a derogatory way. This team has been built around "nice guys" recently and that hasn't won us many games. Cousins has the capacity to fire the team up, and he's what we need as a PF. A bruiser.

However, if we have to get Favors, I'm not against that at all.

Now getting a player like DeMarcus Cousins will require a coach with a little bit more emphasis on discipline. O'Brien would be a horrible mentor for this kid. Mark my words on that. I think though that DeMarcus has really cooled it lately, and hasn't been the head case that we was at the beginning of the season.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 03-15-2010 at 11:46 AM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

If the edict du jour is to get guys who don't have potential problems, then I don't think they'd draft Cousins no matter what so I picked Favors. If the direction changes back to we don't need Milk drinker then I think all things being equal they'd take Cousins. I just don't see them seeing the risk/reward being enough to take Cousins.

I think it is correct above that Bird would trade the 4th pick, if he could move down a handful of spots and pick up another piece. That's assuming Wall, Turner, and Favors are gone.

My biggest fear is they see Favors as too much of project and Cousins too much of a risk and pick off the reservation.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    If the edict du jour is to get guys who don't have potential problems, then I don't think they'd draft Cousins no matter what so I picked Favors. If the direction changes back to we don't need Milk drinker then I think all things being equal they'd take Cousins. I just don't see them seeing the risk/reward being enough to take Cousins.

I think it is correct above that Bird would trade the 4th pick, if he could move down a handful of spots and pick up another piece.
    There is nothing wrong with putting a little whiskey in your milk.