Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Point Guard or Power Forward?

Default Point Guard or Power Forward?

I have been wondering if the Pacers somehow end up at 1,2 or 3 and you had a point
    available in Wall or Turner and a power forward available in Favors, what would yield the
    most wins next year and into the future?

Now I know what most are going to say but I wonder if the choice is not so clear especially if you end up at 2.

Wall leading this team....., incredible.
    Favors with Roy.....,solves a myriad of weaknesses that the Pacers have currently
    not the least of which is defense, rebounding and scoring.

What say you, oh noble Pacerdigest members?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Default Re: Point Guard or Power Forward?

I think it depends on Han's status

But I also think Wall is a lot better than Favors, so if we get Wall, we'd win more

I am seriously concerned about Hansbrough.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

4. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

i would say wall. a good pg is harder to find.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Dear Larry, take Holiday and then we wouldn't have to worry about this. (trade the #1 for #3 and the 2nd round pick, take Favors and a good 2nd round guy too...like Dunn or Brackins or something).

Of course only everyone in America realized that last year was the PG draft and this year was the PF draft, so who could blame you.

sigh

Sorry but IMO Wall and Hans loses to Holiday and Favors.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Seems like we've been asking this question for far, far too long. 5 years? I can't remember.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

You take PG. It's one of, if not the most important position on the floor, and it's our weakest position in my honest opinion.

If you look at our current roster and ask if you had one position that you could upgrade on the team, and it's the only position you can upgrade, what position would you pick?

I don't like either Watson or Ford. I pull for them b/c they're Pacers, but I'm not happy with either on the floor. I like what I've seen from Price at times, but I haven't liked things as well, and think he's a solid backup.

I like Rush, I love his defense, and I think he can get better offensively with the right.. "surroundings" and I like Dahntay Jones as well.

Granger and Hibbert... let's move on

Then it comes down to PF. I don't hate Troy Murphy. I think he's made a scapegoat a lot of the time b/c J'ob man crush on him, and b/c his game is exactly what Jim like to do, spread court and shoot 3's. The guy has been really productive for us and though his defense stinks, he's serviceable , and only has a year left on his deal, which will make him more valuable this trade deadline then the previous deadline.

I still think Tyler will be a really good player if healthy. Not sure about his infection or concussion syndrome, but I'm holding out hope he can be healthy and play like I know he's capable. If so I'm even more comfortable with the PF spot. I also like McRoberts, and think he can be a serviceable backup

11. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Best player available. Favors is great, but no way you take him over Wall or Turner.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Banned

Best player available not doubt about that.

In the case the pacers pick a guard, they could easily pick a PF in the second round, as SETH keeps saying this is a PF's deep draft, meaning that a lot of PF's are going to be there for the Pacers in the second round.

Last year was a PG's deep draft, just look how many good PG's were left in the second round, the same thing could happen this year.

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wall, Turner, Cousins and Favors seem to be the unanimous top-four with the big drop-off coming at five. I've said in the past that I think one of the two bigs could overtake Turner for #2. Not that Turner isn't great, he obviously is, but never underestimate just how much GMs love talented young big men.

As for us, I'd most likely play it safe and take Turner, but a Granger/Favors/Hibbert frontcourt probably has the potential to be the best in the league in a couple of years.

By the way, trading out of the #1 spot with a second round pick as incentive? Seriously?

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think we'll likely ever get much of anything out of Hansbrough. But if we get a top two pick, we should and will take Wall or Turner in that order. After that, I fully expect a PF.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo

If Wall or Evans is available.....I'd draft either of them first...then look in the 2nd round for some PF depth. With the pleuthora of Big Men in this draft.....a decent rotational PF will drop to the 2nd round. It may not be a Starting quality PF....but a decent to solid rotational Big Man will be available ( something that we wil need in the near future to play in the next 2 seasons ) at the 2nd round spot that we draft at. I look at the start of the 2011-2012 season to have our future 9-man rotation to be set. If we don't have a Starting quality PF after the draft....we can either get our Future Starting PF through FA or via the 2011-2012 draft.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Depends on Hansbrough....we're not necessarily "weak" at the PF spot (Murphy, Hansbrough, McRoberts, Foster - if his surgery is successful). Turner and Wall gives us the best PG upgrade. We can always trade Murphy, Dunleavy, and/or Ford for a solid, veteran PF.

Whoever the Pacers believe has the best chance to be a star player in two years

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Next stop June 2015

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Depends on Hansbrough....we're not necessarily "weak" at the PF spot (Murphy, Hansbrough, McRoberts, Foster - if his surgery is successful). Turner and Wall gives us the best PG upgrade. We can always trade Murphy, Dunleavy, and/or Ford for a solid, veteran PF.
    We have a better than 50% chance that Foster or Hans will return. Also, McRoberts will be a year older. We should be stronger at PF next year...and stronger at C with Hibbert and Solo developing. So, I see us generally being better in the interior next year with the returning players. Yes, we need a talent upgrade there...but we need one everywhere except at SF.

So I think this is a classic "pick the best available player" year.

Sports Logo

I'm looking beyond the 2010-2011 season.....at some point...we'd need a Startinq quality Big Man, a Starting quality PG ( assuming that Price is considered a backup...not Starting PG ) and ( assuming that BRush and Inferno aren't considered Starting material on a Playoff bound Team ) another SG to fill out a 9 to 10 man rotation.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

A new coach would be nice too.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'm looking beyond the 2010-2011 season.....at some point...we'd need a Startinq quality Big Man, a Starting quality PG ( assuming that Price is considered a backup...not Starting PG ) and ( assuming that BRush and Inferno aren't considered Starting material on a Playoff bound Team ) another SG to fill out a 9 to 10 man rotation.
    That's why I hate that Tyler went down this season. I saw enough of him to say he has potential, but not enough to say he's the PF of the future. I REALLY hope that Indiana gets the #1 or #2 pick, so that it's a no brainer to get Turner or Wall. With the # 3 or higher pick (unless Turner or Wall drops in status), Indiana has to make that awful decision of...get the best PF in the draft or draft on need. PG is our biggest need hands down. Of course, there's always the possibility of trading the pick.

I say we take Stanley Robinson with our first pick. That will solve our SF problems.

Then snag Luke Harangody and Jon Scheyer with our 2 2nd rounders.
    There we have our PF shored up with Harangody and Hans...and Scheyer would be perfect in the rotation with Dunleavy.

We win 25 games, EASY, out of this draft.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

That's why I hate that Tyler went down this season. I saw enough of him to say he has potential, but not enough to say he's the PF of the future. I REALLY hope that Indiana gets the #1 or #2 pick, so that it's a no brainer to get Turner or Wall. With the # 3 or higher pick (unless Turner or Wall drops in status), Indiana has to make that awful decision of...get the best PF in the draft or draft on need. PG is our biggest need hands down. Of course, there's always the possibility of trading the pick.

With the 3rd pick or worst we have to take the best player available, or maybe try to trade it. I think there might be some interest in our pick. Tyler looks to be a roll player at best energy guy of the bench. We still need a starting PF.

when will he ever learn? underwave's Avatar

without a doubt the best one available. but deciding which kind of basketball we're going to play should come first since o'b will get fired eventually. hmm. seems like the words i said 3years ago though..

Sports Logo

I have no problem with the 3rd pick......it's not hard to figure out that either Cousins or Favors would be the best PF in the draft. With the 3rd Pick....go with Favors. With the 4th pick.....if the FO feels comfortable with whatever psychological tests they have on Cousins....then go with Cousins. Otherwise......if he's not that much better then anybody that can be had at a lower pick.....trade down while getting back some assets.

What I don't want is the 5th pick....after Wall, Evans, Favors and Cousins....it's a crap shoot unless somebody really stands out.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    With the 3rd pick or worst we have to take the best player available, or maybe try to trade it. I think there might be some interest in our pick. Tyler looks to be a roll player at best energy guy of the bench. We still need a starting PF.
    That's what I'm thinking. What I want at the start of the 2011-2012 season is a roster that is built to be a Playoff bound Team. Hansborough could be a Starter on a Lottery bound Team......but on a Playoff bound Team...he's a solid rotational Big Man off the bench.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

To me if the Pacers get pick 1 or 2 you take Wall or Turner , pick 3 personally I go with Favors over Cousins whose red flags scare me.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyProdigy View Post
    I say we take Stanley Robinson with our first pick. That will solve our SF problems.
    The Pacers don't have a problem at SF. Or if they do, it's by far the least of their problems.

I mean, maybe that solves their backup SF problem (if you want to call it one), but I wouldn't spend a lottery pick on a backup SF.