Thread: No regrets for Granger

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default No regrets for Granger

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...grets_for.html

(Mike Wells)
    BOSTON - Danny Granger said he doesn't regret signing a contract extension prior to the start of the 2008-09 season. He's headed for an early offseason for the fourth straight year after making the playoffs his rookie season.

"Signing my extension was a no-brainer," he said after the Pacers got beat by the Boston Celtics on Friday.

Granger was asked if he thought he needed a better supporting cast.

"With our offense, (with) what we do, it's equal opportunity," he said. "For whatever reason, our offense hasn't been there. We got worse on defense."

Team officials have no choice but to add better players if they expect to be decent anytime soon.

Granger said he's appealing the one-game suspension the NBA handed down to him earlier this week for his part in an altercation in Phoenix on March 6.

"I didn't throw a punch at anybody, I pushed," Granger said. "We've already started the appeal process."

The suspension cost Granger about $110,338 of his $9.9 million salary this season
    Granger came to Earl Watson's defense by going after Channing Frye. Frye threw a left-handed punch at Granger.

"I have no idea how long the appeal process will take, but we're doing it because I know I didn't throw a punch," Granger said. "I was very surprised when I was told about it."

The Pacers suffered a minor scare when Granger injured his knee against the Celtics.

He had it looked after the game. He said it's fine and he expects to play at Milwaukee on Sunday.

The same can't be said about T.J. Ford. He said it's doubtful that he'll play against the Bucks after he injured his sore left groin in the first quarter Friday.

Ford originally injured his groin in the second half of the Feb. 20 game at Houston.

A.J. Price will get Ford's minutes if he doesn't play.

Sports Logo

Default Re: No regrets for Granger

"For whatever reason, our offense hasn't been there. We got worse on defense."
    This is the most interesting part to me. I thought statistically we got better on defense, since we're now about average, but apparently it seems like our players haven't really bought in to that.

I would love to hear Danny's reasoning behind his claim that we got worse.

Also, think you're Dahntay Jones and you're brought in to make the defense better, yet here's the face of the team saying they got worse.

Or Larry Bird even. You spent the entire offseason talking about defense, yet here's Danny basically throwing all of that out the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, think you're Dahntay Jones and you're brought in to make the defense better, yet here's the face of the team saying they got worse.
    Dahntey's not offended... he AGREES. Danny's playing his song. Go back and find Dahntay's quotes on the subject.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

The Pacers are a tiny bit better on defense if you go by Points Allowed Per Possession. They are a nightmare on offense, ranking 28th this year after being 18th last season.

Their Per 100 numbers
    108.1 OFF last year
    101.9 OFF this year

109.2 DEF last year
    107.2 DEF this year

Yes, they score over 6 points per 100 possessions less this year. This isn't a case of a change in ranking because other teams got better, and this isn't a pace thing. Players can think whatever they want to about better offense or defense, but the final facts show that they are more likely to fail to score if they have the ball this season than last, by a wide margin.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No one associated with the Pacers besides O'B would think the defense is better this year than last year or the year before. It has been a recurring theme in interviews from prominent players on the team all season long.

The players recognize that they aren't able to compete with a lot of other team's starters defensively, and that opponents rarely have to play more than two decent, not great, quarters of basketball to coast to victory, leaving our "defense" playing against lesser effort or second and 3rd string players far more than most teams do. I would also bet that they don't even worry about things like team defensive rankings or Opp eFG% or anything like that under the current system because those stats are so skewed as to be laughable when it comes to measuring how intangibles like the effort level of opposing players effect the on court reality. For stats / metrics guys, and I know there are quite a few of you here, sorry, but stats, and especially defensive stats IMO, are only truly effective for knowing what goes on in games without actually seeing games (which none of us can possibly claim to have seen every NBA game, or even half of them realistically that has been played by every team in the league this season) if we assume that all games are played from start to finish at a high effort level by both teams involved in every game. Plainly, that is not the case for a multitude of reasons.

Foster had the best plus-minus last year on the team....and he didn't accomplish that with offense. He's probably the only above average interior defender on the team.

Meanwhile, the combination of Roy and Troy will continue to help in June...

Edit: BTW, our defense may be better nonetheless, but I would not be so sure about that. When teams are thumping the Pacers, they don't need to have their starters in as much...so they effectively score less...and score less efficiently.

Bottom line: we are terrible.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 03-14-2010 at 10:37 PM.