View Poll Results: Brandon Rush traded to CHA for DJ Augustine and Gerald Henderson

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea

    19 27.14%
  • Bad Idea

    31 44.29%
  • Not Sure

    20 28.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43

Thread: Good Idea/Bad Idea

  1. #26

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Out of that group, Augustin, Radmanovic, and May; 2 out of the 3 aren't worth anything. I had to check to see if Sean May was still in the league, and Radmanovic shoots threes and plays no defense (not going to fly under Larry Brown). As for Okafor, I don't think Larry Brown drove him out of town, it was simply a matter of Tyson Chandler being assumed as a better fit for his system.

    However, I'll raise the point again, if a PG can't develop under Brown who actually has a proven system and might be the best coach at matchups and hiding weaknesses/exploiting strengths, what makes anyone think Augustin will develop under Jim O'Brien and our bizarro world Pacers' offense? I mean I guess if you think he shoots threes and plays no defense, yeah he probably would.

    Sure, there are counter examples, but there also guys like Allen Iverson, Chauncey Billups, and Eric Snow that played the best basketball of their careers under him.

    You are forgetting one thing... Augustin was Brown's PG last year. Brown has just intimidated Augustin, and he needs a new address.

  2. #27
    Member Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,312

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    Is Augustin the PG you want leading this team going forward? Can he be the starter on a contending team? My answer to this is no, which makes the Henderson for Rush swap even less interesting.

    You want to label Rush inconsistent? Go look at Augustin's game log. He's been on my fantasy team and he drives me nuts.

    And if you say Larry Brown is the reason for Augustin's inconsistency, I could say O'Brien is the reason for Rush's (at least on offense, because his defense is there every night).

  3. #28
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,959

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And if you say Larry Brown is the reason for Augustin's inconsistency, I could say O'Brien is the reason for Rush's (at least on offense, because his defense is there every night).
    That's what I'm saying too. If you play Rush under a coach that actually has a more structured offense, I think he would be a lot more consistent.

    As for Henderson, having seen them both play quite a bit of a bit, I don't think he has a higher upside than Rush. Henderson looks rigid in his offensive game and doesn't have much range on his jumper. There's a certain smoothness in Rush's offensive game that can't be ignored.

  4. #29

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    I think Augustin and Henderson trump Rush in terms of realizable potential. Rush offers more than both of them (paired together) in the present tense.

    Augustin brings poor defence + poor rebound + poor game management but excellent ball-handling + good scoring + decent shooting (but he's struggling with his shot this season). He may even become Tony Parker, but I think it's more likely he peaks as TJ Ford.

    Henderson is limited offensively due to poor shooting + poor off-hand. If he improves on both those things it's anyone's guess. He may very well peak as Dahntay Jones. Defensively he has more potential than Rush - Rush is an above average wing defender; Henderson is quicker and can become a top-notch defender at every back-court position.

    Rush is the safer choice. It depends on how much risk you're willing to take and what assets you value more. Personally as I think there's a good chance that Augustin and Henderson plateau as backups at their positions, I'd be risk adverse.

    One thing is for sure, O'Brien would hate this trade.

  5. #30
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,236

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    The only player of those three that can possibly be really good is Rush. It's really about his ceiling more than anything.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  7. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't forget Jalen Rose while you sing Brown's praises in this regard.
    Jalen was in his own "dream" world. I'll never hold Brown responsible for that. ♦

  8. #32
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,236

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    Augustin, I believe, was considered a coach's dream to work with. If Brown would trade him, it would be because he simply is nothing but a backup...at best.

  9. #33

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Augustin, I believe, was considered a coach's dream to work with. If Brown would trade him, it would be because he simply is nothing but a backup...at best.
    To be fair, Brown is really finicky.

  10. #34
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Augustin ... may even become Tony Parker, but I think it's more likely he peaks as TJ Ford.
    Yuck.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    I think is a bad decision, Rush is way better than those players, I think that AJ has a better starter potential than Augustin and Henderson is a project who could either be good or a bust.

    The Pacers are also going to have a lot of choices to pick in the second round PG's, SG's, SG's, PF's, C's this draft is really deep, there is going to be more than one steal of the draft next year.

  12. #36
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One thing is for sure, O'Brien would hate this trade.
    Could you expound on this?

  13. #37
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,558
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    Do not trade Rush until a new coach with a sound system of basketball and personnel management who teaches fundmentals and generates spacing on the court through ball and player movement as opposed to shooting threes.

    If Brandon doesn't shine after a re-adjustment period, then move him. Otherwise, he could be key to our long term future, especially as a player that is apparently well liked by his teammates.

  14. #38
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,170

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    I'm not sure how I feel about this trade. I liked the proposal better when Ford was involved, b/c it got rid of his salary a year early while getting back talent and also opening up more minutes for Price

  15. #39
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,606

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, Rush has the highest ceiling of anyone out of that group.

    Augustin might be a nice player at PG, but if it hasn't been exactly peachy under Larry Brown (a very good evaluator of talent who tends to get most out of every player), what makes anyone think it's going to work in Pacers' bizarro land?
    In addition to that......I doubt that Brown didnt have any input into drafting DJ Augustin in the first place.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  16. #40
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    4,619

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    I think DJ is a nice PG but the league is full of nice PG's. I want a difference maker at the 1 & I don't think DJ is.

    I think Rush can be a difference maker on the defensive side of the court once some chnages are made on the bench.

  17. #41
    Member pacers74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Plainfield
    Posts
    2,289

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    I voted no. I agree with most DJ is NOT the answer at point guard Felton would be better, but I don't think he is a long term answer either. Henderson who knows. What does he do better than Rush.

  18. #42
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    If Rush performs this way under a new coach, his only value would be that he doesn't cost much and can walk at the end of his rook contract.

    I say get rid of him while you can still blame the coach for Rush playing like Casper the Friendly Ghost. Bye, Rush! Thought you were better than this but you blew it.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  19. #43
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Rush performs this way under a new coach, his only value would be that he doesn't cost much and can walk at the end of his rook contract.

    I say get rid of him while you can still blame the coach for Rush playing like Casper the Friendly Ghost. Bye, Rush! Thought you were better than this but you blew it.
    Defense?

Similar Threads

  1. The PD NBA draft - #9 Toronto
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 02:33 PM
  2. The PD NBA Draft - #6 Minnesota
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 08:24 PM
  3. Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...
    By Major Cold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2039
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 8
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 03:48 PM
  5. Who will you root for now?
    By Shade in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 04:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •