View Poll Results: Brandon Rush traded to CHA for DJ Augustine and Gerald Henderson

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea

19 27.14%
  • Bad Idea

31 44.29%
  • Not Sure

20 28.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Idea/Bad Idea

Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Out of that group, Augustin, Radmanovic, and May; 2 out of the 3 aren't worth anything. I had to check to see if Sean May was still in the league, and Radmanovic shoots threes and plays no defense (not going to fly under Larry Brown). As for Okafor, I don't think Larry Brown drove him out of town, it was simply a matter of Tyson Chandler being assumed as a better fit for his system.

However, I'll raise the point again, if a PG can't develop under Brown who actually has a proven system and might be the best coach at matchups and hiding weaknesses/exploiting strengths, what makes anyone think Augustin will develop under Jim O'Brien and our bizarro world Pacers' offense? I mean I guess if you think he shoots threes and plays no defense, yeah he probably would.

Sure, there are counter examples, but there also guys like Allen Iverson, Chauncey Billups, and Eric Snow that played the best basketball of their careers under him.

You are forgetting one thing... Augustin was Brown's PG last year. Brown has just intimidated Augustin, and he needs a new address.

Sports Logo

Is Augustin the PG you want leading this team going forward? Can he be the starter on a contending team? My answer to this is no, which makes the Henderson for Rush swap even less interesting.

You want to label Rush inconsistent? Go look at Augustin's game log. He's been on my fantasy team and he drives me nuts.

And if you say Larry Brown is the reason for Augustin's inconsistency, I could say O'Brien is the reason for Rush's (at least on offense, because his defense is there every night).

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91
    And if you say Larry Brown is the reason for Augustin's inconsistency, I could say O'Brien is the reason for Rush's (at least on offense, because his defense is there every night).
    That's what I'm saying too. If you play Rush under a coach that actually has a more structured offense, I think he would be a lot more consistent.

As for Henderson, having seen them both play quite a bit of a bit, I don't think he has a higher upside than Rush. Henderson looks rigid in his offensive game and doesn't have much range on his jumper. There's a certain smoothness in Rush's offensive game that can't be ignored.

I think Augustin and Henderson trump Rush in terms of realizable potential. Rush offers more than both of them (paired together) in the present tense.

Augustin brings poor defence + poor rebound + poor game management but excellent ball-handling + good scoring + decent shooting (but he's struggling with his shot this season). He may even become Tony Parker, but I think it's more likely he peaks as TJ Ford.

Henderson is limited offensively due to poor shooting + poor off-hand. If he improves on both those things it's anyone's guess. He may very well peak as Dahntay Jones. Defensively he has more potential than Rush - Rush is an above average wing defender; Henderson is quicker and can become a top-notch defender at every back-court position.

Rush is the safer choice. It depends on how much risk you're willing to take and what assets you value more. Personally as I think there's a good chance that Augustin and Henderson plateau as backups at their positions, I'd be risk adverse.

One thing is for sure, O'Brien would hate this trade.

The only player of those three that can possibly be really good is Rush. It's really about his ceiling more than anything.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Don't forget Jalen Rose while you sing Brown's praises in this regard.
    Jalen was in his own "dream" world. I'll never hold Brown responsible for that. ♦

Augustin, I believe, was considered a coach's dream to work with. If Brown would trade him, it would be because he simply is nothing but a backup...at best.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Augustin, I believe, was considered a coach's dream to work with. If Brown would trade him, it would be because he simply is nothing but a backup...at best.
    To be fair, Brown is really finicky.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    Augustin ... may even become Tony Parker, but I think it's more likely he peaks as TJ Ford.
    Yuck.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

I think is a bad decision, Rush is way better than those players, I think that AJ has a better starter potential than Augustin and Henderson is a project who could either be good or a bust.

The Pacers are also going to have a lot of choices to pick in the second round PG's, SG's, SG's, PF's, C's this draft is really deep, there is going to be more than one steal of the draft next year.

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    One thing is for sure, O'Brien would hate this trade.
    Could you expound on this?

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Do not trade Rush until a new coach with a sound system of basketball and personnel management who teaches fundmentals and generates spacing on the court through ball and player movement as opposed to shooting threes.

If Brandon doesn't shine after a re-adjustment period, then move him. Otherwise, he could be key to our long term future, especially as a player that is apparently well liked by his teammates.

I'm not sure how I feel about this trade. I liked the proposal better when Ford was involved, b/c it got rid of his salary a year early while getting back talent and also opening up more minutes for Price

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    No, Rush has the highest ceiling of anyone out of that group.

Augustin might be a nice player at PG, but if it hasn't been exactly peachy under Larry Brown (a very good evaluator of talent who tends to get most out of every player), what makes anyone think it's going to work in Pacers' bizarro land?
    In addition to that......I doubt that Brown didnt have any input into drafting DJ Augustin in the first place.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I think DJ is a nice PG but the league is full of nice PG's. I want a difference maker at the 1 & I don't think DJ is.

I think Rush can be a difference maker on the defensive side of the court once some chnages are made on the bench.

I voted no. I agree with most DJ is NOT the answer at point guard Felton would be better, but I don't think he is a long term answer either. Henderson who knows. What does he do better than Rush.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

If Rush performs this way under a new coach, his only value would be that he doesn't cost much and can walk at the end of his rook contract.

I say get rid of him while you can still blame the coach for Rush playing like Casper the Friendly Ghost. Bye, Rush! Thought you were better than this but you blew it.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
    If Rush performs this way under a new coach, his only value would be that he doesn't cost much and can walk at the end of his rook contract.

I say get rid of him while you can still blame the coach for Rush playing like Casper the Friendly Ghost. Bye, Rush! Thought you were better than this but you blew it.
    Defense?