View Poll Results: Brandon Rush traded to CHA for DJ Augustine and Gerald Henderson

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Idea

19 27.14%
  • Bad Idea

31 44.29%
  • Not Sure

20 28.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Idea/Bad Idea

Default Good Idea/Bad Idea

Maybe this will become a series of polls; we'll see.

#1: Rush for Augustine & Henderson

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Good Idea/Bad Idea

I'd be for it. I like Rush, but we need a PG!

Two young ones for one on the surface looks good. Only time will tell if thats a good move. It's for sure we need about 16 points out of Brandon if we keep him.

i didnt vote b/c I haven't seen anything of Henderson (altho I guess that what the not sure option is for), but does DJ get manhandled on the defensive end bc of his size? I dont think this team can afford another subpar defender in the rotation.

Henderson I don't know about, but if we project his ceiling to be higher than Rush, you do this. Since the Bobcats were (almost) willing to do this, I am not sure that they think Henderson will be better than Rush.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Two young ones for one on the surface looks good. Only time will tell if thats a good move. It's for sure we need about 16 points out of Brandon if we keep him.
    How about 10-12 points and lockdown defense?
    Grown Man Ball

No, Rush has the highest ceiling of anyone out of that group.

Augustin might be a nice player at PG, but if it hasn't been exactly peachy under Larry Brown (a very good evaluator of talent who tends to get most out of every player), what makes anyone think it's going to work in Pacers' bizarro land?

I voted Not Sure because I don't know enough about either of the CHA players (especially Henderson) and I worry about trading away a very good defensive talent, but at the same time it's turning one young prospect into two young prospects at a time where we need to keep adding pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    No, Rush has the highest ceiling of anyone out of that group.

Augustin might be a nice player at PG, but if it hasn't been exactly peachy under Larry Brown (a very good evaluator of talent who tends to get most out of every player), what makes anyone think it's going to work in Pacers' bizarro land?
    Don't forget Jalen Rose while you sing Brown's praises in this regard.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I had something else in mind. It's good/bad.

Ford/SJones for Augustin/Derrick Brown/DeSagana Diop.

The reason why I say it's bad is because we have to deal with Diop's contract for the next 2 years.

It's good because we get the PG we want, we move Ford, and we keep Brandon to play next to that PG who is similar to Jarrett Jack.

I also liked Derrick Brown and I think he can spot time behind Danny.

if we could get both of them for Rush, I'd do it for sure
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I think it would be a good idea. Poor Gerald, far as I'm concerned, is being the recepient of LB's famous quirk of not giving rookies any slack..or playing time. I think he would give us the same as Rush, with more assertiveness on the offensive end.

I truly echo the sentiment of a lot of national writers that DJ simply needs a change of scenery to blossum. I really don't give his size much of a thought. Yeah, He gives up a couple of inches to guys like Steve Nash and Tony Parker, but I could also see him modeling his game on theirs. I've read over and over that he has a high basketball IQ and with quickness....well....he's can be in the same mold as the aformentioned guys.

Brown is one of my all time favorite coaches, but he gets these weird vendettas against certain players, while giving others carte blanc to make mistake after mistake.
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post
    How about 10-12 points and lockdown defense?
    Sure, but who could we trade Rush for to get that?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

I'm not convinced that Augustin's a better fit for the Pacers, long-term, than AJ Price.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I agree with Anthem. Why trade for a backup PG when you already have three on the roster (and two that are under contract for next season)? Gerald Henderson vs. Brandon Rush is just a "grass is greener" trade in my mind, but hey, let's give up on the guy in his second year despite everyone's agreement that 1) he would be better in a more structured offense and 2) our offense as presently constructed is neither structured nor successful.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 03-13-2010 at 02:27 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneGranger33 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    Don't forget Jalen Rose while you sing Brown's praises in this regard.
    True. However, that wasn't all his fault. Wasn't Jalen Rose convinced he was a PG?

I think in particular with PG's, Larry Brown more often than not gets the most out of them. The ones that have failed for him, like Marbury, have failed for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    True. However, that wasn't all his fault. Wasn't Jalen Rose convinced he was a PG?

I think in particular with PG's, Larry Brown more often than not gets the most out of them. The ones that have failed for him, like Marbury, have failed for a reason.

What about Brown wanting to trade Reggie?

The problem with Brown is he's never happy. He wants to change players from the day he arrives until the day he leaves. He doesn't play youth much and it's hard to get out of his dog house once in it. Ask Augustin, May, Radmanovic, etc. It didn't take him long to get rid of Okefor either.

There was never a doubt how I was going to vote... HECK YES!

I watched Rush play last night. Ray Allen at times beat him like a redheaded step child. I watched a couple nice drives by Rush to the basket, and then give up a basket. He played 40 minutes and his game wasn't even close to being what he should have had. Sorry, but he's too inconsistant for me to be a starter, bench role player ok.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I really don't think DJ Agustin is any good, his numbers are not impressive. AJ Price has better stats NOW, in less minutes, as a rookie. I don't think DJ does anything to improve this team.

Henderson is a question mark... but if its just Rush for Henderson I don't see the point, I think Rush has a higher ceiling and is already a great defender and three point threat. Even if he never gets better he is a great role player right now. No way do I do this trade. Its making a trade for the sake of making a trade, and it sucks.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Thyme
    What about Brown wanting to trade Reggie?

The problem with Brown is he's never happy. He wants to change players from the day he arrives until the day he leaves. He doesn't play youth much and it's hard to get out of his dog house once in it. Ask Augustin, May, Radmanovic, etc. It didn't take him long to get rid of Okefor either.
    Out of that group, Augustin, Radmanovic, and May; 2 out of the 3 aren't worth anything. I had to check to see if Sean May was still in the league, and Radmanovic shoots threes and plays no defense (not going to fly under Larry Brown). As for Okafor, I don't think Larry Brown drove him out of town, it was simply a matter of Tyson Chandler being assumed as a better fit for his system.

However, I'll raise the point again, if a PG can't develop under Brown who actually has a proven system and might be the best coach at matchups and hiding weaknesses/exploiting strengths, what makes anyone think Augustin will develop under Jim O'Brien and our bizarro world Pacers' offense? I mean I guess if you think he shoots threes and plays no defense, yeah he probably would.

Sure, there are counter examples, but there also guys like Allen Iverson, Chauncey Billups, and Eric Snow that played the best basketball of their careers under him.
    Last edited by PR07; 03-13-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Bad idea..if we aren't getting rid of Ford, I'd like to flat out refuse to get rid of Rush.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Sure, but who could we trade Rush for to get that?
    Artest, if he were younger, would be an upgrade from Rush defensively who currently averages just over 11 PPG, and I am sure the Lakers would be interested in the potential displayed by Rush with the best possible player for Rush to have exposure to in his young career, Kobe, who Rush would immediately provide worthwhile backup for, and would likely do the deal if we include Watson as a sign and trade to make salaries match.

If Artest wasn't who he is mentally, I would be tempted to part with Rush for that. Otherwise, I would want to see how Rush develops under a different coach right here.

You may imagine whatever color scheme you may like to have applied with this post. A rainbow may even apply, but there are some who would probably leave it as is.

I hate undersized PG's, and Augustin is small. He's been in the league a few years and never really done anything at all to make me raise an eyebrow. Henderson may or may not even be an NBA caliber player. He seems like one of those guys who could thrive in the college game but isn't crafty or strong enough to be a consistent presence in the NBA. This deal really sucks, and is just a trade for the sake of making a trade. Augustin/Henderson is not something I would give a good young gun like Rush for.

So to sum it up we already have a bunch of backup PG's on our roster, and we don't need another one, so no Augustin. We could probably draft a wing in the second round that would have a bigger impact on our team next year than Henderson.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    I hate undersized PG's, and Augustin is small. He's been in the league a few years and never really done anything at all to make me raise an eyebrow. Henderson may or may not even be an NBA caliber player. He seems like one of those guys who could thrive in the college game but isn't crafty or strong enough to be a consistent presence in the NBA. This deal really sucks, and is just a trade for the sake of making a trade. Augustin/Henderson is not something I would give a good young gun like Rush for.

So to sum it up we already have a bunch of backup PG's on our roster, and we don't need another one, so no Augustin. We could probably draft a wing in the second round that would have a bigger impact on our team next year than Henderson.
    I think the trade stinks too but to say Henderson isn't strong enough is just wrong. The dude is not small. He's 6'5" and 215 pounds. Not crafty enough? Maybe. Not strong enough? wrong.

Grown Man Ball

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Rush has shown flashes of being a great player but two years in and it's looking more every day like his peak is as a middle-of-the-pack starting SG, and even that may be closer to best-case scenario.

I'd probably be willing to swap him even for Henderson at this point, so to get a decent young PG out of the deal makes this an easy yes for me.

If Charlotte is wanting to trade DJA this early in his career, I would say no way. IMHO Larry Brown is probably telling his front office that DJA is not a true PG and could probably never lead a team. I wouldn't do anything before the draft unless you could trade Murphy for a true PF. A Dale Davis type.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)