Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DNS problems?

Default DNS problems?

This morning the PD site was showing a domain squatter. Did we have a DNS registration problem or is it a problem with my nameservers?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: DNS problems?

Might not even be a problem; I think able was planning on doing something around now regarding upgrading to 4.0, so that could be what it was.

Happened again this evening. Anybody else, or just me?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have been having these same problems all morning

Is this what you get, va? I'm using OpenDNS... how about you?

Enjoy your time at PD!

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

i got it last night Euro time - so afternoon for you folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is this what you get, va? I'm using OpenDNS... how about you?

Yeah, that is exactly what I got

I am using Mozilla Firefox

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Me too - I finally manually adjusted my hosts file.

If i were one of the people with a problem I would be running more scans then i can think of and changing my dns rapidly

no problem with dns on this site, or this side :P

and no the domain is nowhere near expiry

sorry
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    If i were one of the people with a problem I would be running more scans then i can think of and changing my dns rapidly

no problem with dns on this site, or this side :P

and no the domain is nowhere near expiry

sorry
    Well something sure seems to be going on. I'm getting the same thing. I got this last night at home on my laptop and now again at work. Laptop is Vista with Chrome, work is XP with IE7. So you have multiple users with multiple configurations and even multiple continents all reporting the same problem. Not saying the problem is definately on your end but I highly doubt it's on our end either.
    Last edited by travmil; 03-17-2010 at 12:59 PM.

Well since it is a re-direct, it is a bit hard to be on my end, as I run the server that does the dns, (1st reply, cached after that) and host the pages.

It is a "CAN NOT FIND" behaviour in most browsers now, to do with your settings about alternatives.

My servers can only answer what is there, and i can tell you that i don't control that forwarded page, nor will u find it in my dns.

I certainly am not rotating PD with that page on the PD server.

On top of that even 10 occurences on several 100k page hits a day is hardly a sample to even consider pointing towards dns.

cheers

Well I'm fairly certain it's not a problem with your server... it's gotta be somebody upstream from you. Especially since the behavior seems very intermittent. I'll be unable to check in for hours, only to discover that other people have been connecting the entire time. So your server is fine (easy way to verify this would be to check your traffic logs for the past 72 hours. Unless you have times where no traffic is being served, then it's not a problem on the server end).

On the other hand, enough users have started having the problem that it can't be purely user-specific.

So if it's not a problem at your end and it's not a problem at our end, it's got to be something in the middle. ISP-level, maybe? DNS nameservers? Man-in-the-middle? I'm not really sure and am reaching the outer limits of my expertise, but something's up somewhere.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I know of 5 or maybe 6 people having this issue. Are we sure that's enough to say it can't be user-specific?

5 or 6 comes in the realm, but is not yet excluding user problems
    in fact we need a lot more to exclude user side, mim is not a chance, dns no chance, server hack no chance

so what is left is nearer the user end, isps changing the not foundsetup, who knows, i find it a browser behaviour that i sometimes experience on clients' machines. but never on my own, bling has a nasty habit of doing this kind of stuff for instance

I am sorry there is so little i can do to help

a

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I know of 5 or maybe 6 people having this issue. Are we sure that's enough to say it can't be user-specific?
    I would say that it's possible that 5 or 6 users could be experienceing the exact same issue for the exact same reason. But I would also say that several factors make the odds against that being the case astronomical. The first factor is the different configurations. Anthem's screenshot is obviously from an Apple. Va confirms that it's the exact same issue he has using Firefox. I experienced it with two completely different configurations at home and at work. That touches on the second factor, which is location. I know my home network is not configured in the same way my work network is, and even if it was, at home I have a different OS and browser combination. Then you have Belli who says that he is having the same issues, and he's on another continent and routing through different paths to reach abel's servers. The one thing that's a common denominator is that the people experienceing the problem are all trying to reach PacersDigest. That makes the most likely cause to be some common point that all these folks route through to get to PD. Doesn't mean it's abel's server, and for what it's worth I have not experienced the problem at all today whereas yesterday I got it on and off all day while I was supposed to be working. No worries though. I'm explaining and not complaining.

Mood

Oh, it's a nameserver issue I have to think. I haven't had a problem since I hardcoded the PD IP into my hosts file. Somewhere between us and able's nameserver, there's a nameserver putting out bad info. I've been using OpenDNS for DNS resolution for some time, and I believe someone else mentioned they were using OpenDNS. Something could be going on with them.

Who are everybody's providers? Mine is AT&T DSL.

The next time somebody gets shunted off to the wrong site, could they ping pacersdigest.com and report what IP address they get? I'd be interested in knowing where it's actually going.

I got this over the weekend, then again today. I'm posting this from my phone which seems unaffected.

I, too, I'm using opendns.

The image goes to nuseek dot com
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Multiple hits when I google "nuseek hijack"

i haven't found an answer yet, though
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

I wonder if it's an OpenDNS problem. I'm fairly certain VA's not using it, but the rest of us could be. And some hardware is set to use OpenDNS by default... VA might be using opendns without knowing it.

Is there anybody out there who's experiencing this problem who's NOT using OpenDNS?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Looks like opendns has mixed results in it's cache for www.pacersdigest.com

Whois says one of the name servers for PD is Babbage.grid9.net

I wonder if that one is the one giving out the bad ip?

It also says PD is registered through enom which I think is a Corp parent of where the redirect is too

- Jimmy Buffett

Grid9.net redirects to the same hijack redirect page as PD, except it sAyes that domain has expired.

So (guessing) that DNS server now redirects all requests for PD to the hijack page instead of the real ip

- Jimmy Buffett

OK, I added PD to my hosts file so I'm now back on my real computer. Let me try to summarize now that I can type better.

Going to OpenDNS and viewing the domain name cache http://www.opendns.com/support/cache/ shows that the caches have two different IPs for www.pacersdigest.com. 213.52.223.213 (good) and 69.64.155.21 (bad).

I can force them to refresh their cache, and I still get mixed results.

Then I did a 'whois' on www.pacersdigest.com, I get 3 name servers:

DNS Servers: BABBAGE.GRID9.NET UK1.ABLE-TOWERS.COM UK2.ABLE-TOWERS.COM

When I tried to go to www.grid9.net, I got the same redirect page show above, except with the added text of

The domain grid9.net has expired. If you owned this domain, please contact your domain
    registration service provider for further assistance.

Since the http traffic to www.grid9.net is being redirected because that domain expired, I'm assuming that the DNS traffic to babbage.grid9.net is also being redirected. And the DNS server it's being redirected to is giving the IP of the parking page.

So, the DNS server at babbage.grid9.net has been replaced by one that only serves the IP address of the parking page.

- Jimmy Buffett

I've been getting this all the time, too.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

OpenDNS is a web browner, correct? Mozilla Firefox is the only browser I use.

I actually got this error on my laptop (The Mac I bought used last year), but I was also in Virginia when I got the error.

I have not got the error in my Imac, at least not yet, but I am on Florida on this computer. So I am not sure if the computer makes the difference, or if it location has anything to do with it.

Thanks, Doug.

Turns out babbage.grid9.net used to be relevant to taking people to PD, but it's no longer serving that purpose and needed to get removed.

So I have now removed it. Give it 24 hours to work itself out.