Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watching the potential draftees

Default Watching the potential draftees

The last couple of days have provided quite an opportunity to see a number of the highly rated college players strut their stuff in conference tourneys. I don't know about anyone else, but I've found myself paying more attention this year than in recent years.

I've gotten chances to watch the UK guys, Favors, Monroe, Turner and a number of others, all with the thought that fairly soon one of them might be in a Pacer uniform.

The guy that has sort of surprised me has been Monroe, from Georgetown. I didn't know much about him earlier this year, but from what I have seen, if the Pacers don't land one of the top couple of draft spots, they could do a lot worse than to go after Monroe.

Your thoughts?

Default Re: Watching the potential draftees

I couldn't agree more about Monroe. If the Pacers land a top 2 pick than obviously they should pick Wall or Turner but if they don't get lucky with the ping pong balls I would love for us to pick up Monroe. The kid can do it all. He's got great handles for a big guy, he see's the floor real well and hes got a nice looking shot.
    I think Monroe is going to be a very similar player to Lamar Odom in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I couldn't agree more about Monroe. If the Pacers land a top 2 pick than obviously they should pick Wall or Turner but if they don't get lucky with the ping pong balls I would love for us to pick up Monroe. The kid can do it all. He's got great handles for a big guy, he see's the floor real well and hes got a nice looking shot.
    I think Monroe is going to be a very similar player to Lamar Odom in the NBA.
    Hopefully he is a Lamar Odom with some motivation. I would be fine with Monroe as long as he played hard and didn't shy away from contact. This is were I think Tyler and McBob will be a big benefit to the team even if they don't play. Both of those guys would push whoever we draft at pf to be a bit tougher in the post.

I am reserving some time off of work for the tourney. I think those games are the ones where you see the pressure take a affect on players.

I gotta admit, after I saw Evan Turner hit the game winning 3 today, I imagined him doing the same for the blue ans gold in about 8 or 9 months....

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Was definetely impressed with Monroe tonight. Ran the floor extremely well for a 6-10 250 lb forward. Great passer, good low post game and actually showed range out to the 3pt line. If we don't land in top 3, we should think about trading back and picking up Monroe
    Murph

Sports Logo Sports Logo

We currently have the fourth worst record in the NBA. We have a very good shot at a top two pick.

My top 3 would be:
    1) Wall
    2) Turner
    3) Favours

I would also keep an eye on Craig Brackins in the 2nd round (if he is still available)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo

I'm thinking that with the 1st pick...we draft a Big Man and in the 2nd round...we draft a PG. Looking at most of the draft websites....most of the PGs after Wall are slated to go in the last 1st to early 2nd round.

I'm hoping that we end up with a top 4 pick....with my preference being Wall, Turner then Favors....I would see if we could trade down to see if some Team would be interested in Cousins while picking up some additional assets/talent.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-13-2010 at 03:57 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    I gotta admit, after I saw Evan Turner hit the game winning 3 today, I imagined him doing the same for the blue ans gold in about 8 or 9 months....
    This was exactly my post the minute I saw him hit this shot. Size...cool under pressure...a winner. Just what this team needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    We currently have the fourth worst record in the NBA. We have a very good shot at a top two pick.
    Only if we stay there, and I don't think we will. Of our last 14 games, 7 are against teams that will be high in the lottery.

The lottery race is so close a 3 game win streak would move us back to 9th.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    That's some real drama right there. Sheesh. What mixed emotions the players must have.

I think a lot of people are like Tom White. It is as if the lottery drawing (even more than the draft) is the peak of the whole NBA year.

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    My top 3 would be:
    1) Wall
    2) Turner
    3) Favours

I would also keep an eye on Craig Brackins in the 2nd round (if he is still available)

I would have to agree with you on Brackins in the 2nd rd. If we could end up with Turner in the first ( or Walls ) then I would say it was a great draft this year. Just need stay away from drafting a piont in the 2nd round-we already have one that still needs playing time now

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

What about Sherron Collins in the 2nd round?
    Murph

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Only if we stay there, and I don't think we will. Of our last 14 games, 7 are against teams that will be high in the lottery.

The Pacers should be playing the youngins a lot. Try and develope for next year. A meaningless win against a lottery team will have no effect good or bad on the current teams
    developement by playing the starters big minutes.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've definitely got more interest in watching the tournament this year than I have since the days of Arizona winning it all with Bibby & Miles Simon. Knowing that we're going to be drafting high enough to land one of the likely stars of the tournament has me very intrigued
    Grown Man Ball

I agree about Brackins. I've watched him play a couple times and he would be a great pickup in the 2nd round. I know they're predicting him to drop into the early second round but I have a feeling that once teams bring him in for workouts his value will probably rise. I think he'll be a late 1st rounder when its all said and done but I would love if we could get him in the 2nd round.
    Last year when ESPN didn't know whether he was staying in college or going pro they actually had us picking him at #13 in the first round I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
    The way we and our fellow stinky teams project for the rest of the way, expect us to go into the lottery with the 6th most ping pong balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The way we and our fellow stinky teams project for the rest of the way, expect us to go into the lottery with the 6th most ping pong balls.
    I still think they will finish with 26 wins. That's a winning percentage of .317. The last two drafts all that would have gotten is 7th.

Teams that aren't in line for the playoffs now days, their front office's don't try to win.

Monroe is definitely a guy I could see the Pacers liking. He's a smart player with a great feel for passing. I think he'd be a nice compliment to Roy, a fellow Hoya too, because he's mobile, can rebound, and looks to have a nice inside-outside game (doesn't have to necessarily be at one area of the court). Outside of Favors, he's the big I like most for the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    Monroe is definitely a guy I could see the Pacers liking. He's a smart player with a great feel for passing. I think he'd be a nice compliment to Roy, a fellow Hoya too, because he's mobile, can rebound, and looks to have a nice inside-outside game (doesn't have to necessarily be at one area of the court). Outside of Favors, he's the big I like most for the Pacers.
    Agreed!
    Grown Man Ball

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I'm not sold on Monroe, I have heard people question his motor and have heard he is soft, and a poor rebounder. Doesn't sound like a good fit with Hibbert, and doesn't really solve our issues. We already have a highly skilled "finesse" bigman, we need a bruiser.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I never realized you were such an optimist, Hicks.

I've been figuring the Pacers could drop (rise?) to 8th.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I'm not sold on Monroe, I have heard people question his motor and have heard he is soft, and a poor rebounder. Doesn't sound like a good fit with Hibbert, and doesn't really solve our issues. We already have a highly skilled "finesse" bigman, we need a bruiser.
    We need Cousins! Gimme a nasty streak anyday. imagine Tyler and Cousins in our front court, just nasty.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPride33 View Post
    What about Sherron Collins in the 2nd round?
    He is one guy I am paying attention to, good PG who knows what are his limitations, what to do with the ball and when to take over, he could be a nice pick in the second round.

Banned

McCamey, pg from ILL would be a nice 2nd round pick too.