Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ford still expects to hear trade rumors...

Default Ford still expects to hear trade rumors...

Nothing earth shattering, but makes you wonder if Charlotte deal will be revisited: http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...trade_rumors/#

Ford Expects To Keep Hearing Trade Rumors

Mar 12, 2010 7:02 PM EST

Pacers point guard T.J. Ford dealt with a demotion professionally earlier this season, but that doesn't mean he doesn't expect to hear his name in trade rumors this summer.

Ford didn't play during the entire month of January, but found his way back in Indiana's rotation on Feb. 5 and has logged increasing minutes as of late.

His name came up prior to the trade deadline last month, notably in a rumored deal that would have sent him to Charlotte in a swap that involved D.J. Augustin.

When asked prior to Friday's game in Boston whether he felt he'd be mentioned in trade rumors again this offseason, the veteran guard allowed a smile to creep across his face.

"Do I expect to hear my name in rumors?" Ford asked. "Absolutely, of course."

Sports Logo

Default Re: Ford still expects to hear trade rumors...

Well it certainly seems like he wants to get traded and I can't say I blame him. Hopefully Bird and Morway can find a deal that's beneficial for both parties.

I would give him away for a bag of chips at this point. At least it would allow AJ to get some freaking playing time and I wouldn't have to suffer through an entire game of watching a back court of Watson and Ford.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers101 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacers101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would give him away for a bag of chips at this point. At least it would allow AJ to get some freaking playing time and I wouldn't have to suffer through an entire game of watching a back court of Watson and Ford.
    Those chips would cost 6 million. Better be some really good chips.

Any interest is revisiting the Charlotte deal this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    Any interest is revisiting the Charlotte deal this summer?

As long as it was ONLY a TJ and/or Murphy trade deal..

I do NOT want Brandon Rush thrown in on a deal , as was being talked about prior to the last trade deadline..
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    As long as it was ONLY a TJ and/or Murphy trade deal..

I do NOT want Brandon Rush thrown in on a deal , as was being talked about prior to the last trade deadline..
    Giving up Rush would be a mistake, especially for Augustine/Henderson. I'm not to high on either one of those players.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I suggested it before....but I'd consider a Ford+BRush for Henderson+Felton( S&T ). We get our future Starting PG in the process.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

JFC I hope they don't trade Brandon Rush, who is the only guy who gives a crap at all on defense.

Play after play I watch Brandon bust his *** fighting through screens, chasing his guy, only watch Murphy or the rest of the team step out the way, for the uncontested layup with 0 help defense.

Trading Brandon would be the worst thing that can happen to the Pacers this summer. I would rather them trade Danny at this point.

Not only that, we have our starting PG... AJ Price, who makes our other PGs look like they are the 2nd round pick rookies.
    Last edited by PaceBalls; 03-13-2010 at 01:03 AM.

The only way Ford or Dunleavy or Troy gets traded before the deadline next season is if we give up a talented young guy or our pick. No one wants those guys.

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Definetely interested in Ford for Augustine, but keeping Rush. Never was impressed with Henderson's game but I can see Augustine excelling in this offense
    Murph

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPride33 View Post
    Definetely interested in Ford for Augustine, but keeping Rush. Never was impressed with Henderson's game but I can see Augustine excelling in this offense
    OMG! I hope we don't have this offense next year

15. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyHoosier For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacers101 View Post
    He isn't going anywhere yet this season, maybe this summer. Watson likely won't be back, so just a little patience

Ford knows that Price and Watson are better PG's, so he should expect to be traded. I expect the Pacers to keep him around until they get another backup of at least his calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Ford knows that Price and Watson are better PG's, so he should expect to be traded.
    Really though I think Ford is the best point guard right now of the three. maybe he doesn't fit into this system, or maybe he doesn't fit the perfect definition of what a point guard should be, but right now he is better than Earl or AJ. AJ is only a rookie, so that is understandable, but Ford is a more doficult player for opponents to contain than watson

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    ......... but Ford is a more doficult player for opponents to contain than watson
    Yeah, that 'drive to the lane with no plan in mind, jump up and hope for the best' really has other team's D off balance.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

I was wondering what team would Ford fit on. Maybe Dallas, Golden State, New York, or maybe Pheonix. I'm just talking style of play not what point guard they already have or anything like that.

I think if he could take on the roll of a sixth man-first point off the bench when a team needed a scoring spark, he would be fine. His problem was/is that he always wants to start and be one of the focal points of the team. That was his deal in Toronto and here last year with Jack.

I still think the deal wil be revisited on draft night. I dont look for us to include Brandon in the deal (I think that may have been a hitch last go around), rather if we get a pick outside the top 3-4 and the player we really want isnt there I think we trade down to the 11 or 12 spot with Charlotte getting our better 1st rounder and we still get Augustin/Henderson and maybe Diop (might even be able to squeeze Charlotte's early 2nd rounder out of them to) for the Pick & Ford. I would be super pumped about that as I feel we can get a PF/C at 11 or 12 thats just as good as 5-8. As far as no1 wanting these guys, next year I think people will want them more because they will be expirings. We can only hope that we can get rid of TJ before the season, maybe even Murphy before the season and hope that Dunleavy jumps out of the gates and plays decently as a 6th man so that he will have some added value to go along with his expiring contract for the trade deadline..........we can only hope.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Really though I think Ford is the best point guard right now of the three. maybe he doesn't fit into this system, or maybe he doesn't fit the perfect definition of what a point guard should be, but right now he is better than Earl or AJ. AJ is only a rookie, so that is understandable, but Ford is a more doficult player for opponents to contain than watson
    All that teams have to do is what they always do to contain Ford -- wait for him to drive, rotate one big to guard the rim, and then rotate / sag two perimeter players into the passing lanes out to our guys waiting for the pass. TJ then jumps in the air and spins and either can't find anybody, or if he does, odds are that their defenders are quick enough to rotate back and at least bother our shooters.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wylder1324 View Post
    I still think the deal wil be revisited on draft night. I dont look for us to include Brandon in the deal (I think that may have been a hitch last go around)
    You may have a point there, especially in light of the recent article about how popular he is with the rest of the team.

rather if we get a pick outside the top 3-4 and the player we really want isnt there I think we trade down to the 11 or 12 spot with Charlotte getting our better 1st rounder and we still get Augustin/Henderson and maybe Diop (might even be able to squeeze Charlotte's early 2nd rounder out of them to) for the Pick & Ford.
    Gotta be truthful with you. That deal doesn't have me dancing a jig. I didn't really like the idea of Ford for Ausustin & Henderson, let alone this incarnation of it.

I don't think so, opponents don't know it yet, but Price is harder to contain, he's got a quick first step, he has a plan going to the basket (aka..he might make a good pass to Hibbert, might pass out to a shooter, or might take the shot himself) plus you can't leave him open because he can actually shoot.

Ford on the other hand, you can back off of. If he doesn't get his free throw line jumper (which is incredible) he'll more than likely go too far into the lane, he'll either attempt a shot or make a poor pass out to the perimeter..which leads to a turnover probably 40% of the time. In fact, quite often, as of late, he's gotten lucky with those passes..but they are still poor passes.

Watson isn't as physically gifted as Ford either, but he's smarter, takes care of the ball better, and makes better passes. So to be honest, I would prefer that as my PG then someone who is "more talented" but does stupid things. (Although, as of late, Watson has made dumb decisions)

...all that said, at this point..I'd be playing a Price/Ford pg rotation. They're going to be here next season..assuming there is no trades. Watson isn't..plus at this point the poor guy actually looks like he's getting tired. And there's certainly no reason to be playing Watson and Ford 40 minutes a game.

And personally, I think if we could get rid of Ford and get Augustine back that would be great. Pick up a second round PG to be your third PG, and we'll have a young cheap PG rotation. Both are talanted, and certainly could be fringe starters..and would more than likely be competing with each other for the spot. My issue is, I'd prefer we don't give up Brandon..but I suppose if we got Turner in the draft, it wouldn't be too awful.
    Last edited by Sookie; 03-13-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Augustin is little better than hot garbage, and I don't know if Henderson has had one good game in the NBA. Please leave this steamer of a deal alone forever PLEASE. I hate it.

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

A freakin men!

TJ just needs a new home, and we need a new PG (amongst a lot of other things)
    Sittin on top of the world!

Ford *might* be a better one-on-one scorer. He is probably a guy you would roll the dice with for a last second shot. But he's not a better PG because he does the opposite of what a good PG should do...and that's to move the ball, shoot from the perimeter when necessary and get other players involved. Those are the reasons Ford does not have a lock on the job and never will.

Ford is a miniature, faster version of Jamaal Tinsley with absolutely no ability to create opportunities for his team mates, worse handles and even worse perimeter shooting. His only positive basketball attribute is his quickness...and the occasional one-on-one score. That does not make him a better PG.

Edit: btw, Ford was benched for the month of January and the first game in February. We won 8 games during that stretch going 8-10...beating teams like Philly, Orlando, Toronto, Phoenix...not just the Nets. That's .444 for the math-challenged. Since then, we have gone 4-13. You do the math this time.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 03-15-2010 at 10:41 PM.