Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Larry Legend Appreciation Thread

Default Re: Larry Legend Appreciation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well my point still stands. Larry, a great hoosier hero, has also been with the Pacers organization for the better part of the last one decade. Unfortunately some of his failures with us mar his accomplishments even on the court - for me, at least.

LOL after reading your post, flashes of Michael Jordan come to mind..

I think Larry has done AT LEAST 10x the better job as GM , that Jordan has , So by your reasoning.. then i guess you would also be saying Jordan's ineptness as a GM over-ride his legend as a basketball player

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

Well my point still stands. Larry, a great hoosier hero, has also been with the Pacers organization for the better part of the last one decade. Unfortunately some of his failures with us mar his accomplishments even on the court - for me, at least.
    Hey, you're in the wrong thread. This is the appreciation thread....

Actually, I don't think he's done a bad or a good job. Extending JOb was his biggest mistake IMO. His admiration of Sarunas was probably a misjudgment, although Tinsley and the other punk Pacers did their best to help him fail. The fact is, this team would be a contender right now with Larry Bird in charge if the players had not been head cases and thugs.

BTW, Bird had a hand in picking Roy Hibbert at #17...but does he get credit for that? He probably also helped pick Granger. How about some love for those acquisitions?

Really, so far Bird has been a mixed bag. The state of the team at this stage still has little to do with his abilities to manage the club...and a lot to do with the immaturity of punks like Jax, Artest and Tinsley...along with the over-rated and often injured, "gonna dominate" JO.

IMO, as much as I like Donnie, he should get the blame for acquiring players with poor character that had far more impact on the state of Pacer Nation.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Is it bad that I give very little of a **** as to what Bird did as a pro because it wasn't for the Pacers, and was for a damned BOSTON team at that?
    Nope. Although I decided to delete my "who cares, he played for the ****ing Green Guys?" post. Agree completely though.

I really enjoyed when Chuck would take it to him in MSA, just wish we would have beaten those jack***es in Game #5. Chuck outplayed Bird in '91, but we didn't have an answer for that damn McHale kid that was an outstanding basketball player, too.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Yes, I do think that Jordan is tarnished too, Kemo. Jordan's tarnishing started by playing for the Wizards, but that's another discussion.

I think the way I perceived both of these guys when they were playing were two men who acheived everything they wanted and more. They were bordering on the edge of perfection. I think the last decade of both men's NBA associations will have some impact on their legacies. They may be a small one, but they will dent those legacies. In my mind at least. As a native Hoosier, I wish Larry didn't GM for the Pacers and would rather it have been another team - it wouldn't have hit home so hard.

I loved both guys as players, Jordan and Bird. But Bird's association with my squad has hurt the light in which I see him in.

These are my opinions, and I don't expect anyone to agree with them.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Nope. Although I decided to delete my "who cares, he played for the ****ing Green Guys?" post. Agree completely though.

I really enjoyed when Chuck would take it to him in MSA, just wish we would have beaten those jack***es in Game #5. Chuck outplayed Bird in '91, but we didn't have an answer for that damn McHale kid that was an outstanding basketball player, too.
    do you remember game 5 when chuck hit a 45 foot three from the suburbs as the game was winding down???
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

do you remember game 5 when chuck hit a 45 foot three from the suburbs as the game was winding down???
    Asking that of Jay is like asking if the Pope prays each day....

Just like Peck might be keeping Dale Davis in his basement, Jay's likely got Chuck Person in his own basement.

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post: