Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Larry Legend Appreciation Thread

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Larry Legend Appreciation Thread

Today marks the 25 year anniversary of Larry Bird torching the Atlanta Hawks for 60 points, setting the Celtics single game scoring record (breaking McHale's record of 56 that was set just 9 days earlier). In light of that I thought we could have thread showing some love to one of the greatest players to ever play the game, and one of our own hometown boys, the LEGEND Larry Bird.

Sadly, I never really got to see Larry play because I didn't really start paying attention to the NBA until right when he was in his final season. My only memories of watching one of his games was the 92 Olympics and the Dream Team, when Larry's back was so bad that he really couldn't do much other than lay over on the ground near the bench. The man might be the greatest shooter of all time, and was a triple-double threat on any given night. He's what Dirk Nowitzki aspires to be, but never will. I just wish we could've somehow seen him suit up in the blue & gold instead of that God-awful green & white

Grown Man Ball

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Larry Legend Appreciation Thread

Lol check out the 4 minute mark in the first video when bird nails the turn around jumper, look at the reaction by the Hawks player on the bench. That's hilarious. And then the reaction by the bench at around 4:15. Actually pretty much every shot after that one at the 4 minute mark, the Hawks bench was freaking out lol.

This must be a bad dream.
    Mood

Sports Logo

UNREAL

One of the most incredible talents to ever grace his respective sport.

Wow! Simply wow! That fade away three at 5:03 just left the defender standing there like , and his teammates on the bench going buck wild! Larry Freaking Bird ladies and gents!
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 03-12-2010 at 12:44 PM.

insert negative, cynical front office jab in 3...2...1....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nerveghost For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lol check out the 4 minute mark in the first video when bird nails the turn around jumper, look at the reaction by the Hawks player on the bench. That's hilarious. And then the reaction by the bench at around 4:15. Actually pretty much every shot after that one at the 4 minute mark, the Hawks bench was freaking out lol.
    Whats funny is Bird was at one time a better shooter. When Bird was a Junior at Indiana State he hurt a finger while making a catch while playing softball. Quote; "I looked down," Bird said, "and my finger was all the way over to the other side of my hand."

The result was Bird's knuckle was shattered. After it healed Bird said, "I just didn't have the same feel for the ball." "I never could shoot as well again."

Quotes taken from, Larry and Magic's book, "When the Game was Ours."

I wholeheartedly recommend their book. I was never a fan of either during their playing days, but I liked this book a lot.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-12-2010 at 01:11 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Whats funny is Bird was at one time a better shooter. When Bird was a Junior at Indiana State he hurt a finger while making a catch while playing softball. Quote; "I looked down," Bird said, "and my finger was all the way over to the other side of my hand."

The result was Bird's knuckle was shattered. After it healed Bird said, "I just didn't have the same feel for the ball." "I never could shoot as well again."

I wholeheartedly recommend their book. I was never a fan of either during their playing days, but I liked this book a lot.

I'm supposed to be getting a copy of the book from the team for renewing my season tickets before March 19th. Still haven't received it though. Really looking forward to reading it.
    Grown Man Ball

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a good book. I have also recommended and continue to do so, picking up a copy of When March Went Mad by Seth Davis. It's all about Bird and Magic, how each ended up it their respective schools, and the games and seasons leading up to their meeting in the NCAA Championship. Good read with tons of quotes and never before seen information and stories from the coaches and media members that covered the games in Terre Haute and Lansing.

Every time I start to take for granted just how dominant and amazing Larry Bird was when he played, I go back and watch video. It never ceases to amaze me how many DIFFERENT highlight reels/videos there are for this guy. Just an amazing, amazing player. The argument can be made, I think, that he was the greatest to ever play the game. I always regarded Michael Jordan in that spot, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Regardless, I feel a great sense of pride that Larry Bird is from Indiana, that he played college basketball in Indiana, and that he coached and is here now with the Pacers. Woulda been nice to have him as a Pacer when he was playing, but I doubt it would be as simple as transferring Bird and all the success Boston had transfers as well. He went to an ideal setting and it was the best place for him to succeed and become the legend that he is. I can live with that.

I stood in the tunnel line and got Larry's autograph on my ticket like plenty of others who do it every game. Had I been thinking, and not simply in awe, I would've mentioned to him how much I think of him and his body of work. I'm sure he's heard it a million times before.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post

Agreed. I got that book for Christmas and have enjoyed reading it.

Is it bad that I give very little of a **** as to what Bird did as a pro because it wasn't for the Pacers, and was for a damned BOSTON team at that?

I respect the Bird-Magic rivalry, have read a lot about the old Celts-Lakers rivalry, it is interesting stuff. But I look at all this as an outside observer and attach no emotional value to it as it was a big coastal city battle and had nothing to do with Indiana basketball.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    ......... had nothing to do with Indiana basketball.
    I think it has everything to do with Indiana basketball.

Larry is a Hoosier. Hick from French Lick. THAT'S Indiana.

Memories.

The takeaway from that video is that Bird had the most highly refined skills I have ever seen in my 44 years. Shooting was not even his most impressive attribute. His crisp, intelligent passing and his ability to find the open man in traffic was probably the most impressive. Taking and making difficult shots were also common place.

BTW, the fact people compare him to Dirk is simply rediculous. Bird is equivalent to Magic Johnson...and they are both easily better than anyone in the NBA not named Kobe and Lebron.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Memories.

The takeaway from that video is that Bird had the most highly refined skills I have ever seen in my 44 years. Shooting was not even his most impressive attribute. His crisp, intelligent passing and his ability to find the open man in traffic was probably the most impressive. Taking and making difficult shots were also common place.

BTW, the fact people compare him to Dirk is simply rediculous. Bird is equivalent to Magic Johnson...and they are both easily better than anyone in the NBA not named Kobe and Lebron.
    I completely agree. The comparison of Dirk to Larry is something that has never sat well with me.
    Grown Man Ball

Gotta love the camera in the stands. I love the shot where the guys head is blocking the shot. Bird and Magic were fighting it out right when I first got into the NBA.

My favorite memory of Bird was the 3 point contest. He needed the last ball to go in and after he shoots it he just walks away raising his hands up. He knew it was in. That was when all-star Saturday night was a big deal.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers74 For This Useful Post:

Cool videos. Thanks for sharing.

I think if you look it up in the Dictionary "How should the game of basketball be played?", there would be a picture of Larry Bird. I just wish he could have played for the Pacers. You could put him on any team and they would immediately become contenders, even the Pacers of that era.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dlewyus View Post
    I think if you look it up in the Dictionary "How should the game of basketball be played?", there would be a picture of Larry Bird. I just wish he could have played for the Pacers. You could put him on any team and they would immediately become contenders, even the Pacers of that era.
    My guess is that Larry would have had a difficult time rising to the level of prominence he did on the current Pacers squad because he was too good at shooting the 3 and he would have been parked at the arc with everyone else standing and watching, leaving Larry with virtually no one to pass to, and O'B screaming "Shoot it! Shoot it!" every time he touched the ball.

Nah, I take that back. Larry would have looked O'B dead in the eye every time he disobeyed him and found open guys along the baseline or in the low post, or when he would go for his own rebounds instead of getting back on "defense" and take them and make the second chance basket, or a touch or tip pass to a teammate who would then make the followup shot. O'B would have tried to bench him, but the pressure would have gotten so high that Bird would have driven O'B out of the picture quickly by dominating play despite being slightly reduced in his output by O'B.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    O'B would have tried to bench him . . .
    Coaches just don't bench players as good as Bird.

Having watched larry bird play all of his home college games and following him thru his boston days. I do have some opinions on him.

any talk of all time greats have to include him. I know people say mj was the greatest but I would take my chances in a team game with the following.

Larry Bird
    Magic
    Bill Russell
    Wilt
    Oscar

IMHO, the thing these players have in common is they all give you a chance to win any game that your in. You could add a healthy Bill Walton to that list also.

I remember when Larry was in the ncaa tournament and as it started people said the teams they were going to play were just to good, I said as long as you have larry you always have a chance.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

Bird's Indiana State team that made it to the NCAA finals would have been lucky to beat Ball State without Bird on the team. The second best player on that team was a point guard named Carl Nicks. Nicks may have got a tryout with an NBA team but didn't do much. They had a tall, good rebounding center who couldn't make a free throw to save his life. Another player was a good spot up shooter that Bird made look a lot better than he was. The coach had a nice career also because of his ability to recruit Larry Bird.

sorry to rain on the parade but larry what have you done for me lately??
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    sorry to rain on the parade but larry what have you done for me lately??
    Thanks for the insight. Considering he's been a retired PLAYER (which is what the thread is about) for nearly 2 decades, it's safe to say he hasn't done anything for you lately.
    Grown Man Ball

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Well my point still stands. Larry, a great hoosier hero, has also been with the Pacers organization for the better part of the last one decade. Unfortunately some of his failures with us mar his accomplishments even on the court - for me, at least.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    Well my point still stands. Larry, a great hoosier hero, has also been with the Pacers organization for the better part of the last one decade. Unfortunately some of his failures with us mar his accomplishments even on the court - for me, at least.
    I don't see the connection. Larry was a truly great player to watch. His legend is already established. His success or failure with the pacer can never reflect in any way on his greatest as a player.

Watch the videos.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colts19 For This Useful Post: