Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teammates revel in Rush's improvement

Default Teammates revel in Rush's improvement

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/web_100310.html
    Teammates revel in Rush's improvement
    By Conrad Brunner

To Brandon Rush's right in the Pacers locker room sits Dahntay Jones. To his left, Troy Murphy. Just around the corner is Earl Watson.
    Those might be his most obvious compatriots but, truth be told, he has a friend in every locker.

When Rush has a game like Tuesday night, when he stepped into the small forward position made vacant by Danny Granger's one-game NBA suspension and scored 24 points with nine rebounds, hitting four 3-pointers to play a key role in a 107-96 victory over Philadelphia, the whole team smiles.

"He's the best," said Murphy. "He's got a great attitude and he's a really good guy and we all really do root for him. He's a very likeable guy and he's popular in our locker room.

"He's a good guy. People don't know him. He's doing his best, he's coming along, he's making a lot of progress and he's going to be a really good player."

Jones scored 25 points but seemed to enjoy talking more about Rush.

"Brandon's a great person, first and foremost, and he works extremely hard," Jones said. "He's a great teammate and guys root for him and genuinely care about the guy and want him to be successful.

"We all know his potential. He's a work in progress. He understands that. He doesn't really get frustrated much, he just stays working at his craft, trying to get better."

Few players have faced the level of scrutiny and criticism as Rush, who has showed alternating flashes of dazzing brilliance and baffling passivity in his first two NBA seasons. Very quietly, however, Rush has found a level of consistency in the past couple of months, settling into a productive rhythm.

In the last 22 games, Rush has averaged 11.7 points and 5.0 rebounds while shooting .461 from the 3-point line. The numbers aren't dazzling but they do reflect considerable improvement from a very slow start. And it should be remembered he's one of the team's best defenders, consistently drawing the toughest wing assignment.
    "Brandon has been playing really consistent basketball for a while now," said Coach Jim O'Brien. "He knows that we're very proud of how he has developed and the confidence he is playing with. He's playing with confidence, and when you look at Roy (Hibbert) and Brandon playing with that type of confidence, their development is something we're very pleased with."

When his teammates look at Rush, they don't just see a player with talent. They see a somewhat shy, eminently likeable young man with an engaging personality and a quick smile.

Watson, who has known Rush since he was a toddler in Kansas City, has been his biggest champion.

"He has the potential to become I think an All-Star on a winning team," Watson said. "It's just about him learning the game, studying the game and being taught the game. Everybody wants to help him the players want to help him, the coaching staff wants to help him, the organization I think loves him. He has that personality where he has like a child-like charm to him. He's always been like that since I've known him."

But nobody knows who has the goods more than players. And Rush's teammate know he has the goods. That's another reason they're so willing to circle the wagons around him.

"He can be great," said Murphy. "He's so talented. He gets some rebounds in games and it's like, 'Where did he come from?' He gets some amazing rebounds, we put him on the best perimeter player a lot of times to start games, he shoots threes.

"He's really as talented a guy as there is around. And he's just scratching the surface. Once he figures his whole routine out he's going to be a beast."

His teammates believe Rush will be every bit worth the wait. Better than anyone, they should know.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Teammates revel in Rush's improvement

Quote Originally Posted by tsm612 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "He can be great," said Murphy. "He's so talented. He gets some rebounds in games and it's like, 'Where did he come from?' He gets some amazing rebounds.
    I was there for this interview. They didn't print Troy's entire comment. Here it is:

"He can be great," said Murphy. "He's so talented. He gets some rebounds in games and it's like, 'Where did he come from?' He gets some amazing rebounds. To be honest with you, I'm getting a little annoyed by it. He's stealing rebounds from me. Everyone on the team knows that each rebound is supposed to go to me first and if I'm not in position to grab it - well, and if I don't steal it away from anyone else - but, the ones I don't get, they're scraps for everyone else to build their stats with. He's young. He just doesn't understand the chain of rebounding here. He'll learn.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Wow, I had know idea how well liked he was. I mean I think I'm glad that trade fell through, when you consider this other information.

good read
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's a reason I've been rooting for Brandon since we got him and it's games like last night. Knowing that the team really supports him is great too. He has all the talent in the world. He just has to put it all together. There's really only one part of his game (aside from the confidence factor) that I think he needs work on and that's his handles. Once he gets the mental part of it and if he can become better equipped with ball control I think he's going to be a 15-20 ppg guy (not more than that simply because Granger takes up so many shots).

I don't just go out and spend $200 on an autographed jersey on just any old schmuck
    Grown Man Ball

Great article. Thanks for posting that.

I'd love it if Rush turned into the player we (and apparently his teammates) think he can be.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was at the game Tues nite. At the beginning of the 4th, Roy was taken out and you could tell he knew he was 3 assist shy of a tripple-doudle & had nearly the entire 4th to get it. Sadly (IMO), Roy was continuiously passed over time-out after time-out. You could see him getting antsey, holding his hands on top of his head after every huddle break when he remained & Troy played C. But, that soon changed...
    No, Roy was not put back in, but rather Brandon hit 2-3 shots in a row, made a few rebounds & defensive plays & the entire team (esp. Roy) lit up like a Christmas tree. After Brandon's last make, & a t/o by Philly, Roy was one of the first off the bench to greet Brandon. For the rest of the game Roy was all smiles, bouncing around & hoping desperately for Brandon to get 1 more rebound to give him his own double-double. Sadly that did not happen for him, but I took away such a warm feeling after witnessing the comrodery betwen those two.
    IMO trading Brandon would hurt Roy & likely Brandon too. While Brandon might benifit from a change of coaches & systems, he seems to have a great support group with in the team. I'd like to see that grow.
    Last edited by PacerGuy; 03-10-2010 at 11:25 PM.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    I was there for this interview. They didn't print Troy's entire comment. Here it is:

"He can be great," said Murphy. "He's so talented. He gets some rebounds in games and it's like, 'Where did he come from?' He gets some amazing rebounds. To be honest with you, I'm getting a little annoyed by it. He's stealing rebounds from me. Everyone on the team knows that each rebound is supposed to go to me first and if I'm not in position to grab it - well, and if I don't steal it away from anyone else - but, the ones I don't get, they're scraps for everyone else to build their stats with. He's young. He just doesn't understand the chain of rebounding here. He'll learn.
    Post of the year nomination.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

All kidding aside, my opinion of Rush a few months ago was that he was quickly turning into a draft bust. I don't know what happened, but he seems to have turned his approach to the game around. I give zero credit to JOB. I'm encouraged by his play lately and truly think he can become an important part of the Pacers in the future. Star/superstar - probably not. An excellent team player - absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Great article. Thanks for posting that.

I'd love it if Rush turned into the player we (and apparently his teammates) think he can be.
    I think they are a better judge than any of us. That makes me hopeful he may be around a long time. We may have our SG.

All kidding aside, my opinion of Rush a few months ago was that he was quickly turning into a draft bust. I don't know what happened, but he seems to have turned his approach to the game around. I give zero credit to JOB. I'm encouraged by his play lately and truly think he can become an important part of the Pacers in the future. Star/superstar - probably not. An excellent team player - absolutely.
    how can you give zero credit to JOB? this is the most idiotic thing I've ever read. you aren't there so you don't know. let's all pretend like we are at practice everyday

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Excellent stuff, he's really playing well lately. He's got more work to do to improve even more, he's just gotta keep that confidence up and keeping working on his game.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    how can you give zero credit to JOB? this is the most idiotic thing I've ever read. you aren't there so you don't know. let's all pretend like we are at practice everyday
    I guess you don't read much then. There's plenty of stuff written that's more idiotic than mine.

How can you give JOB any credit for his development ?? You're there and you know ?? The way he jacked him around early in the season ?? Constantly messing with his minutes. I think Rush has done well in spite of JOB.

You have your opinion and I have mine. And we all know what is said about those ................
    Last edited by PacerDude; 03-10-2010 at 09:13 PM.

I guess you don't read much then. There's plenty of stuff written that's more idiotic than mine.

How can you give JOB any credit for his development ?? You're there and you know ?? The way he jacked him around early in the season ?? Constantly messing with his minutes. I think Rush has done well in spite of JOB.

You have your opinion and I have mine. And we all know what is said about those ................
    you mean benching him when he was playing awful early in the season? you mean JOB giving him the 3rd most minutes of anyone on the team?

I'm not saying JOB has or has not done anything to help Rush's game, but it is a pretty dumb to give JOB zero credit, when neither you or I are at the practices. we don't know what is said.

People arguing just for the sake of arguing, pitiful.

Can't even have a thread with a little glimmer of optimism around here without some childish "you're stupid, you don't know anything" cat fight happening.

Back to Brandon Rush playing very well lately...
    Grown Man Ball

Mood

I've been on the BRush bandwagon since his Kansas days and I'm glad to see him getting a little more Pacers love. We could have had an article about him being our best defender, an excellent off the ball shotblocker, and a very good rebounder months ago, but I understand that increased points gets the most attention in the NBA.

I'm not going to get too deep into whether or not JOB deserves credit for Rush's progress, but I do think we'll see quicker growth in a more traditional offensive system with Roy as a consistent option in the post. Rush is so good at re-positioning himself whenever it is necessary to get the defense to shift so that he can get a clean pass in to Roy on the block. It's a joy to watch, and I am sure that is not lost on the big guy.

I'd noticed a connection on court and on the bench between Brandon and Earl/Dahntay/Roy. Nice to hear Murph likes him too.
    Last edited by gummy; 03-10-2010 at 11:18 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Good for Rush! I have been hard on him all season, so it is nice to see him improving and playing with some consistancy. I just want to see him do it all season. You can see he has so mch potiental and that is why I think many of of us have expected him to do more.

I have been impressed with his defense, he seems to be getting stronger there and that is a welcome sight. I also had no idea he was so well liked by his teamates. I want to see him take that next step next year and really turn it on.
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Not to crap on the dinner plate here, but does this seem like more typical Conrad Brunner spin to anyone else?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Not to crap on the dinner plate here, but does this seem like more typical Conrad Brunner spin to anyone else?
    Conrad Brunner writing a positive article to please the fan base doesn't change how the players all feel about Rush. I doubt he made up those quotes.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tsm612 For This Useful Post:

Not really. It is positive, but there are pretty solid quotes from 3 different players about their feelings on Rush.

I'm glad that he's liked by teammates. I honestly wasn't sure.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

I know, but why were the players all of a sudden offering up glowing quotes on Rush to the media? I know he had a good game, but he went off at the end of last season too, and he really hasn't gotten back to that level yet. I (obviously) don't think Brunner made up the quotes, but it wouldn't shock me if he let the guys know he was writing a piece on Rush so that they would give him something to work with.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I think they are a better judge than any of us. That makes me hopeful he may be around a long time. We may have our SG.
    Exactly. Brandon will come out blazing next year. We really aren't that far from being good again with the caliber players Rush, Hibbert, Granger, and maybe even Price and Hansbrough may be.

The future does look bright. Look where we got these guys in the draft. A top 10 pick regardless of where it's at will solidify our rotation. I don't believe in the top 5 pick vs the 6-10 myth. We have a top 5 pick in Dunleavy and that isn't helping us. Granger plays like he should have bee drafted where Dunleavy was.

I think next year is the year we start seeing the tide turn, if O'brien and Muprhy and Dunleavy are gone of course. I could stand a Ford/Price rotation with a different coach.

I'm praying we can at least trade them for one good big man to backup Roy and I wish McRoberts really would get more time. He's really starting to look like a keeper. It's actually reality, not just PD folklore.

The Pacers future really does look bright if we just hold on to the young players we have right now. Development is key, and I feel our Rookies have been progressing. The idolize Granger IMO. I think Hibbert and Rush will come out smoking next year. It will be their 3rd year.

Thumbs up Re: Teammates revel in Rush's improvement

This article didn't change my perception of Brandon Rush much, as I already felt about the same way as his teammates apparently do, but I'm so glad to learn he's getting support from the team. I think if they just let him play his game and learn what he needs to learn, he's going to thrive. Please stop expecting him to score +20 points every game. He can score some points for us when there are openings, but focusing on just scoring is causing people to overlook his great defense and rebounding for his position, plus he's just a great guy to have on a team.

Remember when Al Harrington wanted to be traded because he was behind All-Star forwards O'Neal and Artest? That really sucked because Harrington was getting plenty of minutes as a 6th man at both forward positions and our Pacers were winning lots of games with him in that role. But felt like he had to be "the man" on the team. Rush is the opposite of that. He's very talented but doesn't demand everything go through him. This is a GOOD thing long-term. We just need some additional talent on the team so he can play his complimentary role doing the things most players in the NBA don't do, like play great defense and try to focus on doing what he does well. I think he's really going to do well if the Pacers get at least one additional All-Star or near All-Star caliber scorer. With the pressure to constantly score off of Rush, I think his game would really take off.

I know, but why were the players all of a sudden offering up glowing quotes on Rush to the media? .
    Perhaps they're happy we didn't trade him for Charlotte's table scraps?

Mood

If the Pacers somehow get the #2 pick in this years draft I still take Evan Turner , then see what I can get for Brandon Rush in a trade.

Even with his recent play I'm not convinced Rush will ever be above an average NBA player , sorry just not sold that he is finally getting it. The last 20 games last season he suddendly got it then we watched him go back to his inconsistant play for almost 50 games again.

If we somehow luck into pick #2 I see Evan Turner as a more likely solid above average pro than Rush. Even though Turner is playing the point for the Buckeyes , I don't see him as a full time point in the NBA.

If the Bobcat rumored deadline deal was close Rush and Ford for Mohammad, Augustine and Henderson , I'd seriously consider it ( the former Bobcat owner Johnson supposively vetoed it while new owner MJ was willing to do it.)

Rush's good play of late is it real or a mirage much like last seasons final 20+ games??