Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Time to Root for Pacers Losses?

Default Re: Time to Root for Pacers Losses?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You do realize you make the rest of your post totally irrelevant with this part, because clearly what I said didnt apply to you.
    Well, then let's clear this up: Name names. Who were you talking to?

Banned

I been rooting for them to lose in a long long time and I don't care what anybody says, I am 100% sure that those who are judging the guys like me who want the best draft pick possible this year are going to be the first ones jumping on the bandwagon of whatever player we get.

Don't tank or lose, but in case you get Wall,Turner or Favor let me jump on that wagon even though I did not like how we got them
    Last edited by vnzla81; 03-10-2010 at 10:45 AM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I been rooting for them to lose in a long long time and I don't care what anybody says, I am 100% sure that those who are judging the guys like me who want the best draft pick possible this year are going to be the first ones jumping on the bandwagon of whatever player we get.

Don't tank or lose, but in case you get Wall,Turner or Favor let me jump on that wagon even though I did not like how we got them
    I think you're missing the point. Intentionally losing or tanking is different from remaining competitive. I don't want us to lose or tank, but I want us to be competitive. If we lose we lose.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I think you're missing the point. Intentionally losing or tanking is different from remaining competitive. I don't want us to lose or tank, but I want us to be competitive. If we lose we lose.
    That's pretty much where I'm coming from.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    That's pretty much where I'm coming from.
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 03-10-2010 at 12:53 PM.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

It is never time to root for your team to lose. Never.

Even in the face of Armageddon I shall not compromise in this.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Los Angeles For This Useful Post:

Why is it those of you who are in the "never root to lose" camp insist on INSTRUCTING those of us who disagree to do it your way? God forbid you express your opinion without insisting others conform to you.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Why is it those of you who are in the "never root to lose" camp insist on INSTRUCTING those of us who disagree to do it your way? God forbid you express your opinion without insisting others conform to you.
    I think that it has to do with the morality of it all. I dunno.

I should have said "some" instead of "those".

I think that it has to do with the morality of it all. I dunno.
    Are my morals really in question based on my desire for them to lose?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Mood

I should have said "some" instead of "those".
    Well, I could go as far as considering tanking "stealing the draft".

You can buy something from a grocery store to get what you want, but shoplifting saves you money. You also run the risk of going to jail. In essence you got what you wanted but you're paying dearly for it.

With tanking there may be consequences outside of just getting a good draft pick. You can alienate the fanbase, sponsors, etc.

(Of course some of you just want that draft pick no matter what, but that's not my point.)

That's why I'm preaching competitiveness, not losses.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

When have I ever spoken without a superior tone?
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Well, I could go as far as considering tanking "stealing the draft".

You can buy something from a grocery store to get what you want, but shoplifting saves you money. You also run the risk of going to jail. In essence you got what you wanted but you're paying dearly for it.

With tanking there may be consequences outside of just getting a good draft pick. You can alienate the fanbase, sponsors, etc.

(Of course some of you just want that draft pick no matter what, but that's not my point.)

That's why I'm preaching competitiveness, not losses.
    There are two things here:

1) Fans hoping they continue to lose, in the interest of making them more likely to be better more quickly and with higher talent.

2) The team itself actively "throwing games" for the same purpose.

Perhaps my use of the word tanking is wrong. I belong in camp #1, but I do not support the 2nd. They should keep trying to win, while I will keep hoping (until the season ends) that they fail. For their own damn good. "They" being the franchise, not any given individual. As others have said, I "root for the uniform" more than any one person who currently represents the uniform.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

I have no idea what you are trying to suggest here. Are you saying that those folks that like to see the Pacers win should somehow feel guilty about rooting for newly drafted players?

Does this mean the pro-tank crowd shouldn't root for Granger or Hibbert?

I don't really have a dog in this race, but I just can't see why supporting Pacers players is in direct conflict with wanting the Pacers to win.

What is your definition of "competitive" if losing is irrelevant in determining whether a team is competitive? Is the current Pacers squad competitive despite its .328 winning percentage? How do you distinguish a "competitive" losing team from a tanking team?

I'm confused because I've always assumed a positive correlation between winning and being competitive, and a negative correlation between losing and being competitive. The more losses the less competitive, the more wins the more competitive.

I like the way Boyle talked about "tanking"

Play the young guys, coach them to win, have them compete hard...and hope the wins/losses turns out in your favor.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedConfusion View Post
    What is your definition of "competitive" if losing is irrelevant in determining whether a team is competitive? Is the current Pacers squad competitive despite its .328 winning percentage? How do you distinguish a "competitive" losing team from a tanking team?

I'm confused because I've always assumed a positive correlation between winning and being competitive, and a negative correlation between losing and being competitive. The more losses the less competitive, the more wins the more competitive.
    You're talking about absolute end results. When I say competitive, they are in the games to win them. Work hard and put out a strong effort. Sure the record doesn't reflect that, but they need to win games, that's why you show up.

Mood

There are two things here:

1) Fans hoping they continue to lose, in the interest of making them more likely to be better more quickly and with higher talent.

2) The team itself actively "throwing games" for the same purpose.

Perhaps my use of the word tanking is wrong. I belong in camp #1, but I do not support the 2nd. They should keep trying to win, while I will keep hoping (until the season ends) that they fail. For their own damn good. "They" being the franchise, not any given individual. As others have said, I "root for the uniform" more than any one person who currently represents the uniform.
    Well, I don't think this coach's intentions are to throw games, even though he is inadvertantly doing so. So #2 shouldn't apply.

But I'm not talking about individual players, because they come and go. Hoping for the "uniform" or the player(s) to fail is horrible.

You're talking about absolute end results. When I say competitive, they are in the games to win them. Work hard and put out a strong effort. Sure the record doesn't reflect that, but they need to win games, that's why you show up.
    Doesn't tanking have to do with end results? If yes, then why mention tanking and being competitive in the same sentence?
    Last edited by OrganizedConfusion; 03-10-2010 at 06:02 PM.

if you're planning to lose, its tanking, no matter how you slice it.

that's far different than playing to win the damn game and letting the chips fall where they may.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedConfusion View Post
    Doesn't tanking have to do with end results? If yes, then why mention tanking and being competitive in the same sentence?
    W-L and not hustle!

Even if we do end up with the 4th or 5th worst record, we can still end up with the 1st pick.

The Kings had the worst record and got the 4th pick. The Clippers had I think one of the 3-6 worst record and still got the first pick.

Even if we don't get the top 3, we can still get a possible steal in the 4 or 5.

Mood

Or we can end up with the 9th pick...

Or we can end up with the 9th pick...
    We can even get a possible steal there, but I hope/doubt that we're picking that high.

To clarify right at the start: I am not talking about whether or not the team should purposefully try to lose. I have no idea if they're doing that or even thinking about it. This is only about me as a fan.

I care about the Pacers competing for a title. I don't care about seeing how many wins you can accumulate after you've already (essentially) FAILED to compete for the title (we all know this team isn't going to make the playoffs). The 2009-2010 Pacers have failed (unofficially) already.

I disagree with those who feel that wins now means bringing the fans back or saving the franchise from moving/folding. I've seen the arguments for this, and I just disagree.

So with that not being a concern of mine, all I care about right now is the 2010-2011 Indiana Pacers.

Part of that are the young players we already have and will be counting on moving forward: Roy Hibbert, Brandon Rush, Tyler Hansbrough, AJ Price, and Josh McRoberts. The only thing left about this season that matters to me is seeing them play well. Otherwise, this season is over to me.

So other than our current youth, my concern focuses on adding more talent to the 2010-2011 Pacers.

Trades are not an option right now, so for now the focus is on adding talent in the draft.

The way the NBA works, more losses pushes you towards the front of the line in this June's draft, and it also (as we all know) at least slightly improves the chances of winning the draft lottery.

I'm not going to hold my breath on winning the John Wall sweepstakes, but I'd still prefer the Pacers pick near 4th as opposed to near 9th or 10th (check the standings; it's not inconceivable).

All I care about right now is seeing our current youth show what they've got, and our spot in the draft line getting better (by a little, or by a lot, and either is clearly better than making it worse).

Nothing else matters right now, IMO. I'm not worried about the team moving, I'm not worried about the fanbase being worse than it already is, and I'm sure as hell not worried about making the 2010 playoffs.

If any of you want to disagree, go right ahead, but you can at least show me (and the others who think similarly) the basic respect to not question our loyalty to the franchise, or for that matter, our morality. It's silly.

And if any or all of this doesn't apply to you, then assume I'm not directing it towards you to begin with.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: