Thread: Should we really care now?

Default Should we really care now?

It's been dismal, we have the 3rd or 4th worst record. Should we actually want the team to win again. If we can grab at least the third or fourth pick and with the expirings we have next year and the ability to sign big name free agents in 2011 we could build a rock solid team. I understand there are no guarantees.

We have only 15.6 M for 2011/12. High draft pick this year and probably next year would put us in a position to build a monster team with Hibbert,Granger,Rush,AJ,Hansbrough,(2) low 1st rnd picks and the ability to sign 2 big free agents. Why not keep this team in tact? Keep JOB and let him finish his contract right along with all the expirings, since he has lost the team. We may actually have 25m in contract guarantees by 2011 with draft picks etc. I think it's obvious at best with a different coach we win 35-40 games and maybe less, play the3 young guys let them develop. We only have to tank for 100 more games or 14 more months.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Default Re: Should we really care now?

I would shut down Granger with about 10 - 15 games left in the season (so he could take care of his off-court issues and his injuries) because we arent making the playoffs, so basically the more games we lose, the better off we'd be (better pick)
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's been dismal, we have the 3rd or 4th worst record. Should we actually want the team to win again. If we can grab at least the third or fourth pick and with the expirings we have next year and the ability to sign big name free agents in 2011 we could build a rock solid team. I understand there are no guarantees.

We have only 15.6 M for 2011/12. High draft pick this year and probably next year would put us in a position to build a monster team with Hibbert,Granger,Rush,AJ,Hansbrough,(2) low 1st rnd picks and the ability to sign 2 big free agents. Why not keep this team in tact? Keep JOB and let him finish his contract right along with all the expirings, since he has lost the team. We may actually have 25m in contract guarantees by 2011 with draft picks etc. I think it's obvious at best with a different coach we win 35-40 games and maybe less, play the3 young guys let them develop. We only have to tank for 100 more games or 14 more months.
    Whatever the front office does is okay with me.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-09-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I would shut down Granger with about 10 - 15 games left in the season (so he could take care of his off-court issues and his injuries) because we arent making the playoffs, so basically the more games we lose, the better off we'd be (better pick)
    That makes some sense on the surface, but that would unequivocally be a terrible decision! That would be of the magnitude like the Colts giving up on an undefeated regular season.

Really you are advocating something you know little about. For all you know Danny prefers to play rather than dwell on family issues. And you don't know how he's feeling, but he's starting to play like he did last year so his injuries can't be to bothersome.

Ball players want to play. That decision would make both Danny and the fan base mad.

How would you like it if you were the star of a team and the team told you you couldn't play the rest of the season? Or how would you like it if you were a fan and bought tickets to see Danny play and the team shut him down, so they could lose more games?

That was a sensible idea, just not practical.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I say play Danny until he doesn't want to be played. There is no sense for him not to be out there unless he's hurt, and apparently he isn't.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    That makes some sense on the surface, but that would unequivocally be a terrible decision! That would be of the magnitude like the Colts giving up on an undefeated regular season.
    There is a HUGE difference in giving up on the chance to make history and giving up on a terrible season like this. Knowing you can be one of the few teams ever to do something and giving up vs. giving up knowing you won't win many games with or without Granger aren't the same thing.

I wonder if it matters to Danny that he can still make it to 1400 points for the season and end up in the top 10 for scoring. He's not included in the stats now because he's missed too many games but he has 1039 points to date and a player is ranked if they make it to 1400. With Danny's average he could still miss 3 games and make it.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I wonder if it matters to Danny that he can still make it to 1400 points for the season and end up in the top 10 for scoring. He's not included in the stats now because he's missed too many games but he has 1039 points to date and a player is ranked if they make it to 1400. With Danny's average he could still miss 3 games and make it.
    A player will always say that stats and records don't matter to them. But it makes one wonder if that really is the case. I think that this could be the saving grace on Danny's individual season.

I would still play Danny, but not give the most time out of everyone. I'd still start him, but use him about 30 minutes a game.

He knows we're going no where this season so he should just take it easy, score and shoot well like he usually does, but not be as physical to avoid an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjacobs7 View Post
    There is a HUGE difference in giving up on the chance to make history and giving up on a terrible season like this. Knowing you can be one of the few teams ever to do something and giving up vs. giving up knowing you won't win many games with or without Granger aren't the same thing.
    Respectfully disagree here. Giving up is giving up. Either way, these teams would be depriving fans (especially STH's and others who paid good money for admission to games) exactly what the teams touted that the paying customers would be seeing: putting out the best players that the team has to offer, and playing competitively.

Mood

When you play a game you should try to win. Always!

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post

i won't actually root for them to lose. but i'm good w/ it when it happens as we're not going anywhere regardless.