Thread: Pacers' offense struggles early in summer league Indystar..07/20/04

bapspacers4life

Default Pacers' offense struggles early in summer league Indystar..07/20/04

Pacers' offense struggles early in summer league

By Sekou Smith
    sekou.smith@indystar.com
    July 20, 2004

SALT LAKE CITY -- It is too early for the Indiana Pacers' summer league team to panic, but two games into the Rocky Mountain Revue, it is clear that they have issues.

The Pacers can't score and they can't control the ball.

They are averaging just 55.0 points -- while surrendering 68.0 -- and a whopping 29.5 turnovers per game. Those are frightening numbers, even for a summer league.

But Pacers associate coach Mike Brown, who is coaching the team this week, isn't concerned with the statistics.

"Our first game we ran into a Dallas team that had Devin Harris at the point, Marquis Daniels at the other guard spot and Josh Howard at small forward," Brown said. "I thought in our second game (Saturday's 60-52 loss to Utah) we looked much better. The best thing is, these guys are really playing hard.

"And as long as we get the right effort, we can work through any other issues we might have."

The Pacers will have to solve those issues before tonight's game against Charlotte (2-1), which came here after going 5-0 last week in a league in Minneapolis.

Point guards Jamison Brewer and Rashad Wright have combined for 12 assists and 21 turnovers, and each has struggled to run the Pacers.

"I think it's on us to play better," Brewer said. "That's the bottom line. We just have to get better because it all starts with the point guards."

Default Re: Pacers' offense struggles early in summer league Indystar..07/20/04

What scares me most is that Wright HAS run the team, I really thought he had not played any point yet, hence his 1 Ast and 8 TO's, if he really did, his chances of making the team are infinitely smaller then even I thought.

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I think of this as just practice, as far as Sigg and Wright are concerned. If Brewer gets an offer from someone else, he'll go. If not, I expect Brewer vs. Wright to go into the preseason.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think of this as just practice, as far as Sigg and Wright are concerned. If Brewer gets an offer from someone else, he'll go. If not, I expect Brewer vs. Wright to go into the preseason.
    Pacers will only cut about half of this lot, at least 2 more big man (outside Harrison) and Wright, Brewer and Jones will go into training camp later on with the Pacers pre-season workout.

But let's be honest, if Brewer is still with us in trainingscamp Wright would have to be the second coming of Jason Kidd to beat Brewer to a contract (if either gets one) since Brewer knows the plays, knows the players and knows what's more and has his friends on the team.

[edit=14=1090336392][/edit]
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Vantaa/Finland Favorite Players: Danny Granger, Stephen Jackson, Jermaine O'neal, Gilbert Arenas

Wright > Brewer