* Type Size: A A A
    * PrintPrint
    * EmailEmail
    * retweet this articleRetweet
    * Digg this

Suns expecting word on fallout from Pacers scuffle

27 comments by Paul Coro - Mar. 7, 2010 10:59 AM
    The Arizona Republic

The Suns expect to be contacted by NBA officials today with either more interviews or a punishment decision for Saturday's third-quarter fracas with the Indiana Pacers.

The scrape resulted in Suns center Channing Frye's ejection and technicals for Suns guard Jason Richardson and Indiana's Danny Granger and Roy Hibbert.

Frye could be suspended for Friday's game because he took a left-handed swipe at Granger and a threw lighter left jab at Hibbert. Neither connected.

"It could happen," Frye said. "That would be disappointing because it's against the Lakers. It just wouldn't be a good reflection not only on me but on the Suns and this organization. That's not the type of people we are or players. Sometimes, stuff happens out there that's not the right thing. Sometimes, stuff happens so fast, based on emotion and not on actual logic.

"I've been in scuffles but I'm always the guy who breaks it up. It's just my style. I'm a peacemaker. Too expensive (to fight)."

Hibbert would be just as susceptible to punishment for what could be considered two punches he threw at Nash while official Sean Wright held him back. Neither came close.

Richardson earned his technical for charging in and slamming his left forearm on Granger after he came at Frye in retaliation for Frye's shove to the back of Watson. Watson had twice slapped away Frye's hands after Watson said Frye elbowed him moments earlier.

"Nobody should get suspended from either team because it didn't escalate to anything," Richardson said.

In another ruling, Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said center Robin Lopez's flagrant foul on Utah forward Andrei Kirilenko's breakaway Thursday was upgraded by the league to a Flagrant Foul 2, which would have meant ejection. A Flagrant Foul 1 is considered "unnecessary." A Flagrant Foul 2 is considered "unnecessary and excessive."

Default Re: Suns expecting word on fallout from Pacers scuffle

Quote Originally Posted by Frye
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "It could happen," Frye said. "That would be disappointing because it's against the Lakers. It just wouldn't be a good reflection not only on me but on the Suns and this organization. That's not the type of people we are or players. Sometimes, stuff happens out there that's not the right thing. Sometimes, stuff happens so fast, based on emotion and not on actual logic.
    The last line is terribly ironic. Yes Channing, it would be terrible if the league suspended you because it'd be a bad reflection on you and the team. If they don't, however, you're fine because it it changes the fact that you threw punches. How about "what happened in the game was a bad reflection on myself and my team, and I'd be disappointed about not playing against the Lakers, but I understand the rule that has been in place for 18 years and solidified for 9 regarding player suspensions for throwing punches."

3. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post: