Thread: Hoop data's salary information - and our $40mm in cap holds??

Default Hoop data's salary information - and our $40mm in cap holds??

I don't understand this.

Hoopdata has a detailed salary page, and for the Pacers they mention we have over forty million dollars in cap holds.

What confuses me is that it lists all of these players that are somehow "cap holds" that count against our salary cap unless they are renounced or re-signed.

Easily the biggest listed cap hold is Rik Smits at $18,550,000.

But surely the Pacers have done whatever is necessary to clear that 18.5mm off the cap, so then why is hoopdata still listing him, and the others?

There's no way we could be functioning if all of these cap holds were counting against our total salary, so then why are they even listed?

http://www.hoopdata.com/salaries/IND.aspx

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hoop data's salary information - and our $40mm in cap holds??

Regardless the situation, this is interesting. Some of those players haven't been on the team for over ten years.

That cannot be correct - not even close to being correct. Although I have no idea what "cap holds" mean. never heard of it.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That cannot be correct - not even close to being correct. Although I have no idea what "cap holds" mean. never heard of it.
    VERY simply, a cap hold is for players you have an option to re-sign, and it means that those salaries count against your cap when it comes to signing new players and FAs. In other words, you can't wait to sign your own FAs (which contract-wise would mean you are under the cap) and sign new FAs (or trade using under-the-cap status), THEN sign your own FAs (which you can do even if you are over the cap).

I am confused about how retired players would still apply, so I think this list is sort of bogus.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

LaSalle Thompson is still on the Pacers roster?

We are Tanking!

And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

I'm guessing Smits (and Hardaway, Tabak etc...) never officially retired. They can just be renounced like any other FA when 2011 rolls around.

It's too bad the team wasn't a contender these past few seasons. Smits' contract could have been a very valuable trading chip in this climate.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i seem to recall we've discussed this before. basically the pacers have never renounced rik, and he never officially retired.

rik smits' cap hold was referenced in this article back during the gasol trade

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...uld-get-traded

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    VERY simply, a cap hold is for players you have an option to re-sign, and it means that those salaries count against your cap when it comes to signing new players and FAs. In other words, you can't wait to sign your own FAs (which contract-wise would mean you are under the cap) and sign new FAs (or trade using under-the-cap status), THEN sign your own FAs (which you can do even if you are over the cap).

I am confused about how retired players would still apply, so I think this list is sort of bogus.
    It's not bogus: those players have never officially retired.

Why would the Pacers care about Smits cap hold, for example? Thy never had cap space, so they never needed to remove his cap. Once they have cap space (or are in a position to have it), they'll renounce to Smits rights therefore removing the cap hold (this Summer in the case they keep the expirings contracts in their books till the end of the season).

Having those cap-holds in the books doesn't really hurt a team and can be very useful because those players can be used as salary fillers in trades:

Re-signed forward Keith Van Horn and traded him with guards Devin Harris, Trenton Hassell and Maurice Ager, forward Keith Van Horn, center DeSagana Diop, first-round picks in 2008 and 2010 and cash to the New Jersey Nets for guard Jason Kidd and Antoine Wright and forward Malik Allen; waived forward Nick Fazekas.
    The Los Angeles Lakers have acquired forward Pau Gasol in a trade with the Memphis Grizzlies, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. The Lakers will also receive the Grizzlies second round draft choice in 2010. In exchange Memphis will receive forward Kwame Brown, guard Javaris Crittenton, guard Aaron McKie (who the Lakers signed earlier today), the draft rights to Marc Gasol and first round picks in 2008 and 2010.
    Last edited by cordobes; 03-08-2010 at 10:22 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    But surely the Pacers have done whatever is necessary to clear that 18.5mm off the cap, so then why is hoopdata still listing him, and the others?

There's no way we could be functioning if all of these cap holds were counting against our total salary, so then why are they even listed?
    rik smits' cap hold (and all the others) don't actually have an effect on our current financial situation. if anything, it's a potential asset in sign and trades, as jb24 notes, and also the truehoop article i linked to.

if we get under the cap in 2011, we'll have to renounce all those cap holds in order to use our cap space. that's the only time it will be relevant.

edit: yeah what cordobes said

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Can you use a cap hold as salary filler? A cap hold isn't a contract, it's just funny money that keeps GMs from gaming the salary cap system.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Can you use a cap hold as salary filler? A cap hold isn't a contract, it's just funny money that keeps GMs from gaming the salary cap system.
    Yeah, but you could sign Rik Smits to an unguaranteed contract for $10mil, trade him, and let the other team cut him.

The NBA frowns on it but it's legal under the current CBA.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Well, you can use a cap hold to sign the player, then trade him as filler.

Yes, the core purpose is to keep the GM's from gaming the system, but a side effect is a potential asset.

Now, it would certainly test the rules to sign Rik Smits to a 3-year deal (only one guaranteed) to make him a cap filler, but it's theoretically possible.

All in all, these are just simple bookkeeping mechanisms that are easily dismissed should that become necessary.

The meaningful capholds are for players that you may want to keep. For example, the Knicks could have enough cap space to sign two max players next year, but they'd have to renounce all of their free agents, including David Lee, to do it.

For the Pacers, it is likely that they will renounce the rights to some of their expiring contracts (Ford, Foster, Murph, Dunleavy) in 2011, but they may not renounce all of them. They are not required to renounce the player until they need the cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Yeah, but you could sign Rik Smits to an unguaranteed contract for $10mil, trade him, and let the other team cut him.

The NBA frowns on it but it's legal under the current CBA.
    For a sign and trade, the contract must be at least three years in length.

However, only the first year is required to be guaranteed.

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

so wait.....if a player doesnt "officially retire" and the team doesnt renounce him....then what is he, a quitter??? im very confused by all this lingo of such, and i feel like that if you dont play ball you should have to retired of such. Man you just wait till i see rik next time, im going to demand he come back and play ball!!!
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

If I remember an article about Rik correctly, players have to sign a paper saying they have retired. If they don't then they haven't officially retired.

Cap holds are used to prevent teams from signing free agents before signing their own players. Say Danny was a free agent and we wanted to resign him. Since you can go over the cap to sign your own players we could sign someone else first then sign Danny. A cap hold of a certain amount of his projected salary prevents that.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-08-2010 at 12:35 PM.

It's great to see how much we'll be saving and owing in 2011-2012.