Thread: Hypothetical Question - John Wall and the NJ Nets

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Hypothetical Question - John Wall and the NJ Nets

-- If this has been discussed, please close this thread. --

If the season ended today and the Nets land the #1 pick in the Draft Lottery, what would they do with John Wall?

How does that work with Devin Harris?

Mood

Default Re: Hypothetical Question - John Wall and the NJ Nets

Seems like they'd trade Harris.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why wouldn't they keep him, as a backup?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd be happy with either guy.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Why wouldn't they keep him, as a backup?
    It doesn't make any sense. You're overpaying your backup who could be netting you a starter at a different position of need.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I'd be happy with either guy.
    So would I, but is there any way we could work a deal for Harris? Seems to me like all we could offer is expirings assuming we don't trade away any of the young core...

Mood

It doesn't make any sense. You're overpaying your backup who could be netting you a starter at a different position of need.
    You're right, but for a team with a record like that, imminent domain proceedings on the whole Brooklyn deal, trading off arguably their best player would be an issue with the remaining fans.

Sure, we're talking about John Wall, but yeah. Oh well. Excellent point, Hicks.

worst comes to worst they make John Wall a shooting guard.

I think they trade Harris as well. They've been lukewarm on him this year anyways with injuries and from what I've heard disinterest with the team poor record this year.

Plus he'll more then likely bring back pretty good value in return.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjacobs7 View Post
    So would I, but is there any way we could work a deal for Harris? Seems to me like all we could offer is expirings assuming we don't trade away any of the young core...
    We can possibly do a deal with a 3rd team.

Honestly, I would think they trade off Devin Harris, HOWEVER everyone is assuming that they will select Wall with the # 1 pick. If I was the Nets, I would take Evan Turner with the # 1 pick.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    worst comes to worst they make John Wall a shooting guard.
    Wall is way too dynamic to just be put at shooting guard. He needs to have the ball in his hand with every possession.

With Harris, he's a good player, but it really seems like last year was a "fluke" year for lack of a better term. His numbers this year resemble that of his numbers in the years prior. Granted, he's on the worst team in the league, but if you're going for Wall, why not trade Harris while his value is high? You either get a future draft pick and save some money or you bring in a big man, 6 man, or whatever the **** the Nets top priority would be.

Lakers would take him.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjacobs7 View Post
    Easy, trade our pick. TJ Ford(expiring) + #5 pick for Devin Harris.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Honestly, I would think they trade off Devin Harris, HOWEVER everyone is assuming that they will select Wall with the # 1 pick. If I was the Nets, I would take Evan Turner with the # 1 pick.
    That's something they may think about, but New Jersey is really having trouble (mostly due to their record) with getting folks in the seats, plus they're getting ready to move to Brooklyn.

They need to give the fans someone they can get excited about, and though Evan Turner is DEFINITELY someone to get excited about, but John Wall is the big name in this draft. He's going to instantly bring interest to whatever franchise he lands at. Tickets will sale, jersey's will sale, and national coverage will come... instantly before he even practices with his new team

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Evan Turner DOES make more sense basketball-wise for the Nets. But, as pwee31 just pointed out, Wall makes more sense publicity wise.

However, that all could change if Turner becomes a One-Man Salvo and takes the Buckeyes deep into the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    That's something they may think about, but New Jersey is really having trouble (mostly due to their record) with getting folks in the seats, plus they're getting ready to move to Brooklyn.

They need to give the fans someone they can get excited about, and though Evan Turner is DEFINITELY someone to get excited about, but John Wall is the big name in this draft. He's going to instantly bring interest to whatever franchise he lands at. Tickets will sale, jersey's will sale, and national coverage will come... instantly before he even practices with his new team
    Nets need to decide whether they want to sell tickets, or sell tickets AND win.

If the Nets get the 1st pick and Minnesota get the 2nd pick or vice-versa niether really needs a point guard, but Wall will go to one of them. Turner could move up to the 1st pick the next 3-4 weeks could be big for him.

I just dont get it. i understand wall will bring publicity, but are we sure they will bring them wins? sure wall MIGHT be better in the short term for sales and such, but are they sure they want to bank on a MIGHT...and keep a pg whos a crafty veteran now, who seems to be over his injuries for this year. Devin dropped 30 last night...i dont see wall doing that anytime soon because he has no jumpshot, most of his points come in transition and he struggles running a team in the halfcourt set...i just feel like trading devin and drafting wall will set that team back even further than it is, ESPECIALLY when/if he doesnt turn out to be what everyone hypes him up to be.

but like somebody said earlier, turner could showcase his skills in the tourney and carry his team deep in the tourney while he in turn carries his draft status to number 1 overall.
    "To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine

20. The Following User Says Thank You to IndyProdigy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by IndyProdigy View Post
    I just dont get it. i understand wall will bring publicity, but are we sure they will bring them wins? sure wall MIGHT be better in the short term for sales and such, but are they sure they want to bank on a MIGHT...and keep a pg whos a crafty veteran now, who seems to be over his injuries for this year. Devin dropped 30 last night...i dont see wall doing that anytime soon because he has no jumpshot, most of his points come in transition and he struggles running a team in the halfcourt set...i just feel like trading devin and drafting wall will set that team back even further than it is, ESPECIALLY when/if he doesnt turn out to be what everyone hypes him up to be.

but like somebody said earlier, turner could showcase his skills in the tourney and carry his team deep in the tourney while he in turn carries his draft status to number 1 overall.
    Teams and most Players have seen the importance of having a top tier PG on your Team and how it improves...not only the Team...but the Players around the PG. Unless Turner turns out to be more like a Tyreke Evans Guard ( specifically a SG that can handle the ball like a PG ).....I can see some FAs being interested in signing onto a Team with a much-hyped PG like Wall just like FA could be interested in playing for the Bulls with a young PG like Derrick Rose.

Add in that Devin would likely be moved for another Starting quality PF along with a quality SG/SF rotation of CDR/TWill/Courtney Lee and one of the best young Centers in Brook Lopez....the Nets could be an interesting Team to play for.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Teams and most Players have seen the importance of having a top tier PG on your Team and how it improves...not only the Team...but the Players around the PG. Unless Turner turns out to be more like a Tyreke Evans Guard ( specifically a SG that can handle the ball like a PG ).....I can see some FAs being interested in signing onto a Team with a much-hyped PG like Wall just like FA could be interested in playing for the Bulls with a young PG like Derrick Rose.

Add in that Devin would likely be moved for another Starting quality PF along with a quality SG/SF rotation of CDR/TWill/Courtney Lee and one of the best young Centers in Brook Lopez....the Nets could be an interesting Team to play for.
    I like Evan Turner and I'd have no problem taking him #2, but John Wall should and will go #1 overall. That's going to the case even if a team like GS or Minnesota get the #1 pick.

Wall plays a premium position. He plays with superior quickness and athleticism in a league where you're no longer allowed to handcheck perimeter players. This works to great advantage for guys like Wall. He's also a couple years younger than Wall and is a better player than Turner was 2 years ago.

Evan Turner is a pretty dominant college player. He plays the type of game that requires him to dominate the ball when his team is on offense. That's great at the college level, where he's playing a lot like a poor man's version of a college Lebron, but I'm not sure I'd want a Turner playing the same role in the same capacity in the pros as he's doing now in college.

If you are a ball dominant guard, you'd better be damn talented if you want to do this in the NBA while helping your team win. There aren't a lot of guys who are able to do this in the NBA: Kobe, Lebron, TMac in his prime, Wade, Roy and Chris Paul are probably the select handful. If you're not as talented as these guys, then I wouldn't want you attempting their role.

I'm not sure I'd be so quick to put Evan Turner in that category of players. If he's anything less from a talent standpoint than Brandon Roy, then the way he plays in the NBA won't help you nearly as much as it's helping Ohio State.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Wall plays a premium position. He plays with superior quickness and athleticism in a league where you're no longer allowed to handcheck perimeter players. This works to great advantage for guys like Wall. He's also a couple years younger than Wall and is a better player than Turner was 2 years ago.
    That's what I'm seeing here.......draft Wall, trade Harris for some other Starter and make as many runs as they can on the top tier FA 2010-2011 crop. Add this to a solid core of Courtney Lee/TWill/CDR ( if he isn't traded ), one of the top Centers in the League in Brook Lopez, a new experienced Coach into the mix ( which shouldn't be hard to attract if they have Wall and a quality lineup ) and you have fairly solid young core and Coaching Staff for the future.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    If you are a ball dominant guard, you'd better be damn talented if you want to do this in the NBA while helping your team win. There aren't a lot of guys who are able to do this in the NBA: Kobe, Lebron, TMac in his prime, Wade, Roy and Chris Paul are probably the select handful. If you're not as talented as these guys, then I wouldn't want you attempting their role.

I'm not sure I'd be so quick to put Evan Turner in that category of players. If he's anything less from a talent standpoint than Brandon Roy, then the way he plays in the NBA won't help you nearly as much as it's helping Ohio State.
    I wanted to thank this part twice. I really like Evan Turner, but I don't think he's as good as any of the guys you've mentioned. His outside shot is suspect, and I don't think he's as good a ball-handler as Roy, let alone the other guys.

As a senior, Roy shot 40 percent from 3. Turner is less than 30.

Turner's role will have to change in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    I wanted to thank this part twice. I really like Evan Turner, but I don't think he's as good as any of the guys you've mentioned. His outside shot is suspect, and I don't think he's as good a ball-handler as Roy, let alone the other guys.

As a senior, Roy shot 40 percent from 3. Turner is less than 30.

Turner's role will have to change in the NBA.
    Thanks. Appreciate the notice. I still like Turner a lot and I don't see how considering him to be the consensus #2 pick is a diss. I mean, I hope my team is so lucky enough to be able to draft Evan Turner.

I don't see anyone else as a sure enough thing to unseat him from that slot. Nothing is for certain, but I just think Wall is a "safer" pick because he plays a more premium position and has clearly transferable skills to the next level. I have an easier time envisioning Wall in the NBA beating guys off the dribble, running a team and finishing strong at the rim than I do Turner pulling his same Lebron imitation in the pros.