Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Youth development tracking and discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth development tracking and discussion

Well in a quest for some positives it struck me that for all our complaining about the PT the kids are getting, we really don't have a lot of discussion of their actual games and how they are coming along.

So what I'm thinking here is a JOB COMPLAINT FREE zone. You enter this thread knowing the hard facts there and accepting them. No one is madder than me about it.

But the kids will get time here and there at least, and that time and effort is what I want to talk about.

Also I want real critical discussion, so let's take off the gloves and not get worked up about negatives. On the flip side, I'd like this discussion to not be full of "Rush sucks" or "Josh is so overrated" talk.

What I'd like to see is discussion of what guys are doing better, what they need to work on, and have all this stuff based on specific plays or moments from games.

There's not much joy left to the season, but I think most of us agree that following the kids is one of those joys. So let's focus on that.

The guys I have in mind would be Roy, Rush, Price, Josh, Tyler (when/if he returns)...and I think some DJones and Danny discussion fits a little too since they would appear to be part of the future too.

Here's one - I think Rush has an issue with "comfort shots". He's got plenty of moves to get places, but he looks very unsure of how to finish a lot of these plays. He had a couple of short arm jumpers vs PHX that looked just like this.

I'd like to see him get some really go-to moves. Does he have any now, situation where you see it coming? Maybe the 3 when he is catching it in rhythm, but off his dribble stuff?

Roy - his passing game is really strong, I like his lobs over the top from the high post.

His low post game needs some work. He's got moves but he tends to rush shots quite often. Not sure why, but I do think that's a youth thing.

Tonight he had an almost great play where he was low posted and dumped it to a cutter (Price I think) who then kicked it to the opposite wing. Roy used that to come across the lane and repost with the ball coming right back to him. So far so good, really smart ball. But then he just went quickly up with a rushed flip for no good reason rather than setting himself into a true shot move.

Price - I like his game, but I need to see his assist to FGA ratio come up.

His strength seems to be two man game. One thing Roy and Josh do is come to him well for PnR work. Both get off the PnR pretty clean usually so there is real potential there.

But at other times Price will just drive for his own mid-jumper. I hope this is more to do with JOB then AJ.

Josh - well I like his above the rim game. TJ tossed one over the top with Josh trying to pull a high post backdoor cut, but PHX was all over it and really it was a bad TJ choice. However Josh's vert and lateral quickness got him to the ball and actually drew a foul. That's why I'm enamored with prospects that have vert and lateral, there are so many spontaneous plays that require those skills.

He needs to always be the guy the guards look to for finishes on transitions because he does get out well and run.

Right now his weakpoint is awareness, especially on defense. He let Nash just come right in because he was worried about the pass going to his man. Gotta protect the rim first, even if it means getting burned behind. That falls on the next rotation guy.

On offense he has off and on moments. Pretty clearly to me he has a set number of things he's prepared to do, and if those aren't applicable then he kind of stiffens up. He needs to expand his comfort with more offensive situations.

Naturally ALL the players will require PT to improve these things. Like I said, I'm not faulting any of them for having bad points. But that doesn't make those problems go away.

Think of this thread as more like "what will the NEW coach think about these guys, and what will he have them work on".

Oh, btw, I think Danny badly needs to focus on his defensive play. He's become a slightly below average on ball defender this year.

Re: Youth development tracking and discussion

Cool thread.

One thing I was thinking about tonight while watching the game was how I want Roy to work on becoming a power player when he gets the offensive reb or gets a nice dish within 3 feet of the basket. I want him to work on the 2 handed power dunk all summer. He has the tools to over power almost anyone in the league when close to the basket, but he seems to always try to finesse it in.

Tonight I saw him get the O. Reb and instead of gripping the ball hard with 2 hands and going up strong to dunk it, he tried to do some one handed layup. He got fouled by a tiny guard and went to the line and made the FTs (he is a badass FT shooter) but it could've been an 'and 1' and really intimidated the other team.

If he can add the power game it might put him in the elite level of centers.

Comment

I think Danny has been pretty good defensively since the injury. He looked terrible before that playing on one foot. Just a few nights ago he poked the ball away from Kobe at end of the first half. Irrelevant though because he stupidly grabbed him afterwords. But still he shows he has the skill to be an on ball defender, I think his size makes it easy to get caught on a screen though.

I think Brandon is a good player its too bad that he is judged by how many points he gets, because thats not his game really. Maybe he won't be a starter, but he can be the defensive stopper on any team.
      Last edited by graphic-er; 03-07-2010, 12:44 AM.
      You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Comment

Price -

Well, I know his game better than mosts, so I'll start with clearing a few things up.
        (this isn't JOB bashing, what I'm about to do. It's just the facts about Price)
        AJ Price is an "all around" type of point guard. Good to decent at everything.

However, and this is a positive and a negative..he's a chameleon. He does, exactly what the coach tells him to do. When he gets freedom to do what he wants he makes very good decisions, but, when instructed..he does exactly what the coach wants. Which isn't necessarily bad, but it's hard to get a read on Price's game that way. But the point is, he's not going to be "one type of player" his game will change with the coach.

Normal Price things: that little run he has a tendency to go on, whether he triggers it or goes on it by himself. He does look to score, but he makes good decisions on when to do that and when not to do that. The sagging back on defense, he has a tendency to not trust the bigger guys (old Uconn habbit) and obviously the pick and roll.

So, all that said here's positives: He looks for Roy, I agree, he's best at a two man game, and excels with the pick and roll. I actually think that's part of the reason he's shooting more than normal, because when teams pick who they are going to guard in a pick and roll..they leave Price and double Hibbert, leaving Price kind of open. He also takes good shots. Sometimes he's aggressive and looking for his shot, but the shot he actually takes is a good one.

Negatives: He loses his man defensively sometimes. Last night he played great defense, but he can get lost. I think that's "rookieness" seeing as he didn't do that in college.

Shooting is inconsistent. Once again, I think that'll come in time.

He seems to be "unsure" of the role he needs to take. He's naturally a "take controll" type of player. In fact, that was my favorite thing about his game. He could control a game better than any point I've seen in college. (Note, control is different than "taking over") Now, I think he feels he's the rookie, and that's his place. And I think that's right. But I think sometimes he looks unsure of himself. I think it's completely a "vets" thing, because he does not do that at all with the younger guys in. It's just a case of him being a rookie and knowing his place, but not knowing how to act in his place.

Rush-
        I have to be honest, Rush has become my second favorite Pacer, and personally I don't find him the least bit frustrating.

I think him, more than anyone, needs to be in a structured offense. And he is completely more of a "fill in" type of player, offensively. And defensively he's outstanding.

I really really hope he doesn't get traded. He has all the talant in the world, he just needs to be in the right system with the right players around him. And I actually think the younger group, is a collection of players that are good for his game.

Positives:
        Um, defense. Really, his defense on Bryant was outstanding. His defense the whole year has been outstanding.

Shooting. He started off bad, but he's been shooting quite well lately. He has a really pretty shot.

Passing and ballhandling..I mean really, the guy has all the skills needed to be a fanstastic player.

Shot selection..omg. The one player on the team getting consistent minutes that doesn't take two or three god awful shots per game.

negatives..I don't want him to be more aggressive, it's good to have a bit of yin with our yang..however, he can be laid back, and still impact the game offensively a little more.

Hibbert..once again, a really likeable player. I really want Bill L. to coach this team next, because of what I think he can do for Hibbert, McBob, and Hans. Hibbert more than any of them, because I feel like He needs to be more aggressive at times. He very soft. His soft touch is nice at times, But sometimes I'd like him just to go in for a dunk..power it in.

Positives: His hook shot is fantastic. really fantastic.
        Passing..he's a good passer out of the double team. Sometimes I think he passes out a little too much, but I like that he does it. That's rare for a big guy.

Negatives: As I said, I think he's a little soft, and I think his conditioning and such needs to improve.

McBob
        I have to say I think I was wrong about him. I thought he could be "barely" a role player. But I actually think he's capable of being a rotation player on a quality team. He's got the energy/athleticism down.

Positives: ..energy and athleticism I think his offensive rebounding is better than people give him credit for. Shots go up so quickly it's hard to do it, but his hands get on quite a few.

Passing. Once again, another very good passer for a big guy.

negatives: shooting. He needs a jump shot, more offense really.
        I'm not sure his hands are that great either.
        Last edited by Sookie; 03-07-2010, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Thank you for this wonderful idea first of all. Illtry to make it short, I'm tired. But I've been thinking about this for a long time.

Rush- Rush needs to, most importantly, learn how to fight screens and picks better, so that in the future Roy won't have to be depended on to stop penetration.

Rush also needs to work on off-the-ball movement and backdoor cuts, along with better finishing at the rim. It's not a "confidence" thing, its more like a "When I get in the paint, I don't know what to do because I'm not familiar with getting in there and banging with the big guys, often causing missed close shots." The reason he misses so many layups is because he hasn't worked on it all that much.

Roy- Roy needs to get better at "turning it on". He has shown flashes of being aggresive, and I wouldn't mind him being overly aggressive. I'd rather him be more like KG or Dwight than Timmy and Smits when it comes to gameplay. Roy needs to work on understanding that he is usually the second best player on the team, barring a Danny injury or Rush playing well.

Roy also needs to polish his game, and something else. He needs to "open up" like Timmy (and now Howard ) does. His shot is so soft that he doesn't even need to hit backboard anyway. It would also be great if he could turn into a reliable pick n pop guy as well as (suprisingly) 80% FT shooter.

As Roy gets more time to work on his game, I'm sure that post defense is at the top of his list. Of course none of our guys are defensive wizards, so Roy will occasionally have to go one-on-one with the likes of Dwight, Amare, and Bogut, and Bargnani. He needs to work on taking bumps, and just altering shots instead of attempting the monster block.

AJ- AJ needs to become a better perimeter shooter. His shot is decent, but since it looks pretty, if he works on it, it only makes sense that it will get better.

AJ needs to make better decisions in traffic as well as on the break. He also has some defensive potential, and I'd like to see him become a guy who picks off alot of passes and digs into big men in the post causing a strip on them.

AJ also needs to get those assist numbers up, and become even better at the PnR situation. Understand who he's going with, and try to draw more fouls. The best thing for him is having a very high assist-to-turnover ratio if he wants to be the "high +/-" guy on the team like Ty Lawson or Kirk Hinrich in the playoffs.

Josh- Needs to work on his perimeter game. He reminds me so much of an athletic version of Brad Miller it is not even funny. He makes very good passes, works his butt off, and is always looking for the big play. If he gets the perimeter game going, as well as a strong and quick first step, he could be huge for us. He also needs to become a better FT shooter.

Josh also seems to suprisingly be the best guy for a fast break for us. Whether he's the one dribbling or filling the lanes, he never screws up. Thats what I love about him. He makes a huge percentage of his shots, and he will never overdo it, and he always looks very comfortable and poise on the court. He's afraid of nothing, and he's ready for whatever.

He also makes alot of his shots.

Tyler- On the other hand, Tyler can't get anything to go in besides a FT as opposed to Josh. Tyler is strong as Scott Steiner, and he is a very good post defender. He needs to soften his dang shot or just go bank all the time (Of course that would make him the laughing stock of the league). Tyler needs to work on rebounding and boxing out, as well as finishing when he does get an offensive board.

Tyler can give people problems, but for god sakes don't put him against a small forward going small. He has very bad lateral quickness, and when an opposing team goes small, he's good for nothing. So in that case, Tyler needs to be a better rebounder and learn how to take smaller, weaker guys in the post to hurt the other team.

Tyler also needs to take it easy and get healthy, but I'm positive he's working on that. If Tyler can get healthy and smoothen his shot, he's got a bright future with us.

Danny- Yes, Danny is a young guy for us too. Danny needs to learn that his teammates can take over games too, well one day they can. Danny needs to stay in games, and when the scoring load is off of him, he needs to become one of the best defenders in the league, which I'm sure he can do. When he plays very good defense, he is scary. He is good at picking off passes and shotblocking, and he needs to understand that contesting shots and boxing out is just as, if not more important than the highlight play. His man-to-man is very good when he wants it to be, but I'm sick of sad guys like Luol Deng and Grant Hill going off on him because he wants to play offense and get in a footrace with the likes of Derrick and Steve, which we cannot do.

Danny also needs to improve his outside shot, just to make it more deadly, and probably leadership. He is the guy, like Reggie who comes to practice early and stays late. But I want him to be a motivational leader as well, just like Roy as this team grows. The team trusts in these guys and they get fired up when these guys are working there asses off. Thats when I love to watch the games.

He also needs to become a more explosive scorer, scoring in bursts, unlike what he does now. If he can;

1) Come down one possesion, and make a layup or mid-ranger
          2) Get a steal, and hit a three
          3) Get in the high or low post, and score in there

Then you have to double him, giving Rush and Wall the opportunity to hit the perimeter shot or make a play. Unfortunately, he takes plays off, so no one has to worry about him going off on a defender, unless it is Sonny Weems or something.

Danny should also work on his intangibles. He should work towards averaging 7 rebounds, 1.5 steals, 1 block, and setting screens and picks. He also needs to get a post game going, so that he can deliver passes by the dozen and get his shot off against smaller and weaker defenders, like Carmello does on a daily basis to Dahntay Jones. Right now, it wouldn't matter if we put Danny of Dahntay, because Danny would try to pull up instead of posting him up or driving on Dahntay.

I'll come up with more tomorrow, I'm brain dead.
          "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Comment

Oh yeah, Josh's defense isn't very good. It has all kinds of potential especially since he added those 25 lbs.

He tries to pinch the PnR which leaves the big guy open while Josh tries to pick off the pass in the middle. I'm sure he got away with it in Duke and Carmel High, but it won't work with some of the best players in the world.

He contests every shot, and he's not afraid to get dunked on. You have to love the fact that he will do whatever it takes to get a fast break going, or to disrupt a team's flow.

Josh needs to work on his post defense as well. Since his is originally built kind of lanky compared to the stars in this league, he needs to add more bulk, and get a stronger center of gravity so that he can hold his own against low post monsters looking to gobble people like Josh up.
            "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Comment

Has anyone noticed that, since New Years, Rush is shooting .446 from three (don't think those numbers count tonight's game).

Comment

Rush is a pretty good defender when he's trying. At one point tonight he routed Amar'e into Murph in transition and blocked his shot from behind,leading Denari to incorrectly say that Murphy blocked his shot. It was a "wow" moment imo. He definitely has the smarts and physical ability to be a great stopper.

The most startling improvement in Danny's game this season IMO is Danny's passing. He's pretty capable when he tries. His assist numbers are low and that's for 3 simple reasons: 1) he makes "hockey assist" plays more than actual assist situations. 2) when he does make a pass that could be an assist, the other player doesn't always convert. This isn't the most talented team,as we all know... 3) He doesn't pass enough. He's made some good plays with his passing on this road trip (tonight setting up Hibbert with a nice bounce pass).
                Pacers,baby!

Comment

This is an exceptionally difficult thread to post in because we have not seen most of the young guys in a traditional basketball game with good fundamental play in a system that maximizes the strengths that are available on our roster at the NBA level. Just an observation, not an attempt at a bash.

That said, Josh struggles with when to stick to his own part of the "perimeter" defensively vs. when to actually play defense on the ball to protect the rim because of a combination of a lack of experience and a fear that making mistakes will send him to the bench. Again, just an observation. Also, he needs to work on his free throws and conditioning, but again, true conditioning to play at the NBA level comes in games.

Josh is, however a strong finisher, truly passes and has vision for the flow of the game offensively, and is our best player for finishing fast breaks besides Granger.

AJ hasn't played enough to get confidence with his shooting, which needs improvement. He also dribble penetrates a little too much, but is doing what he is told to do as all of our point guards do.

AJ makes good decisions for the most part once he drives. He also is a good passer overall who would do better in a different style of offense that is more structured and geared toward forcing defenses to react to movement.

Tyler. Unfortunately, we have probably never seen a truly healthy Tyler since he has been here. He is a good agressive player who frustrates opponents and knows how to get to the line. Otherwise he is VERY raw and makes many mistakes on both ends of the floor during his short time here. Nothing but experience and time under a better system with a better teaching coach (sorry about the minor bash here but it is a factor for Tyler especially).

Hibbert is improving. He still is in need of a big man coach who can teach him to take up more space in the lane and the footwork required for being more powerful around the rim on both ends of the court. He does shoot the hook well despite not being very square when he does so, and shoots FT's well despite having limited opportunities to do so, once again due to the system.

Rush is maturing. He makes better overall decisions than most on the team on both ends of the floor. He still doesn't have the confidence to go outside of the offense to take higher quality shots than he is presented with in this system for fear of getting reprimanded. Thankfully for him he really has little competition for minutes at his spot on the defensive end of the court that even our system reveals that he plays well. He is also shooting very well from the arc at this point overall which obviously has helped him keeping his minutes for some time now. He needs to play in a system that opens up driving lanes as a result of ball and player movement rather than just "stretching the floor" before any judgement can be passed on his ability to finish at the rim or his timid play on offense that is more likely recognition of the poor quality of opportunities for driving that present themselves to him during the normal course of games.

Danny really is a young player at star level. He has been forced by injury to play differently than he ever has this season, and hopefully the summer will allow him to heal more completely, and whatever his personal issues are will resolve themselves and allow him to come back stronger physically and mentally next year. He can still end up being a beast, he just isn't at this point in time for reasons out of his control from health and personal to, once again, the system that encourages him to lead the league in attempts from the arc.

I know, I didn't really make it through any part of this post without referring to our coaching or system in some fashion, but the young guys are probably the players most severely impacted by what has gone on here this season, and what we see from them has been highly impacted by our coach and his system. For me, they are nearly inextricably intertwined.

Sorry about the fail.

Comment

About Rush, there is a switch that goes off in his head that makes him play better February through April. I think that has a lot to do with college. At least that is when I noticed Brandon picking it up for Kansas while he was there.

I don't have any other idea why he is so poor during the first half of the season, but the mentality needs to be that he plays this way all season. I would place a small bit of blame on the woes early on this season on his poor shooting.

Comment

Brad - I agree that Josh definitely gets stuck trying to make choices on defense and can be lured into the wrong place. Also he's got room to develop his post defense.

I think time can fix some of his defensive issues though. I think I'd rather see him work on a couple of offensive plays so he can threaten teams enough to force them to account for him on that end. He's kinda working the jumper and he's hit the 3 enough to show the range is there.

Right now the only move for sure I've seen is the highpost backdoor that the team runs in general. He looks for screens and picks well, so I can see him finding a go-to play out of that.

Rush - I don't think he was PLAYING bad early on. He was only shooting below par. I didn't see anything else wrong with his game. And I do think one impact on his shooting is the system and the types of shots he's expected to take and make.

I don't think he struggles through screens or anything like that. To me if you watch Ford or Watson, or even Danny, you see guys far more willing to go under screens or let their man have space.

Rush is an incredible shot blocker for an SG, and does a lot of it in traffic which makes it more impressive.

By the way, over the last week or so I've mulled over the Rush for Henderson thing, and while I really like Henderson's potential I'm not certain that I am willing to part with Rush after all.

My favorite Pacers right now are:
                      Roy
                      Rush
                      Price
                      Josh
                      Danny

Danny is down there because of his shooting and lax play on both ends. For example, he's been remarkably sloppy with the basketball, much like Dunleavy.

I do think Danny looks more focused overall lately. Not sure if any of that is related to his family issues, or in spite of them. I realize health is probably a factor, but his mental game looks improved too.
                      Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 03-08-2010, 12:27 AM.

Comment

PHILLY GAME - again, not the place to complain about playing time or JOB

Price - DNP

McRoberts - minimal PT, not really a chance to note anything one way or the other

DJones - I've noticed that he seems to be working up his shot fake and step in jumper. Plus as was noted in the telecast he put in a ton of extra 3Pt shooting practice and it appeared to pay off when he nailed one.

I don't think he's really kept up the defensive intensity like I'd hoped, but he does seem to finely be tweeking his offensive game. He's aggressive, so this is a good thing.

Roy - he continues to kinda rush plays at the rim. He makes lots of good moves but then hurts himself when he rushes the finish or 2nd shot. I do notice that he runs the court and follows up plays pretty well for his size/speed, the missed shot, he runs in and rebounds for the putback type of play.

He did add in a very rare shot fake where he was able to step in closer for a nice make (and foul IIRC). TV guys noted it too. I like seeing Roy add in some of those post tricks.

His passing game is really nice in the sense that he's got good vision and is aggressive. The problem is he forces some and doesn't always choose the best delivery method. Last night QB noted once where he should have bounced one instead of throwing it directly there, which got it tipped. Still the more he tries the better I think he'll get at this.

I do like his over-the-top passes into the lane from the high post or farther out. He's got pretty good touch for it and his size allows him to pull the pass off quite a bit.

I stand by the impression that Roy's best skill is his passing instinct.

And then there was Rush, who had one of his best off-the-dribble games yet. His drive to the lane from the high wing, going to the FT line and then down the lane, is really getting dialed in. Last night he made this move from either side with pretty good confidence. This was a move he used at Kansas too.

He puts a hesitation in there as well which draws guys in and allows him to blow by. Typically he draws double teams at the FT line which is where he leaps and two hand pass kicks out, a move some think is "passive" but I like. He's creating defensive motion and holes to attack when he does this.

But I also noticed him moving with the ball confidently in other ways, such as a spin away when a guy tried to close out on him as he caught the pass. It was a quick move, and then I noticed him use it again later.

Plus he had those 2 incredible moves right to the rim where he missed what would have been brilliant layups. Yes he must finish those, but the key at this point is that he was able to make the moves to get there off the dribble.

To me this looked like one of those light bulb games all young players go through where they do something and it works well and they notice it. They have that "wait a second, I'm on to something here, they can't stop me when I do that" moment.

My theory for some time has been that all players need to have those moments. Now the games right after that don't instantly get better because they might force that move or still be figuring out exactly how and when to use it, but the main thing is that sense of belonging and control of the situation. That's how you stop being a rookie or prospect and start being an NBA regular.

I think Roy is getting that too, like his Howard game, but he's not as far along as Rush IMO. He's going to have a game where he slows down his 2nd or 3rd move into a nice, smooth shot and he's going to know "they can't stop me when I do this". After that I think he becomes that 18 ppg center we think he might.

When I see Rush and Roy on nights like this it does frustrate me that Price and Josh aren't getting the same chances to find their games, their moves. Oh well, on hold for now.

Comment

Bonus post - Jrue Holiday was always going to be a project this year. I loved him as a prospect but I thought he and Teague 100% should have stayed for another year of college.

But boy, Jrue is already having those moments. He was the main alternate choice at the Pacers draft slot and it comes as no surprise to anyone that it ticks me off that they passed. He's raw now, but already he's finding his game on both ends (he's a sharp defensive prospect).

OTOH Speights was a guy a lot of us thought was a better choice than Roy and he's really starting to fade. This seems to happen to lots of guys, they splash early on then fall back into the player they'll really be. Just look at Charlie V vs Granger for example.

Maybe Speights isn't going to be the guy we thought, which would make Bird's draft look even more impressive 2 years ago.

Comment

interesting tidbit about Price
                            http://www.nba.com/2010/news/feature...beaubois.mavs/

"The wide-eyed, baby-faced Beaubois continues to work hard in practice, and has begun to make his mark in a crowded and deep rookie class. He is one of five first-year pros, according to Elias, to score at least 18 points in a quarter this season, joining Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, A.J. Price and Marcus Thornton."

pretty good company.

And Brandon Rush..I really hope we don't get stupid and trade him. Get him in a structured system, with a leader pushing him to play better (something I think Price and Hibbert would do in a few years) and he'll be a fantastic player for us.
                            Last edited by Sookie; 03-10-2010, 01:29 PM.

Comment

When I watch the game I pay the most attention to Roy, Brandon, and Josh. Roy and Brandon because I'm just about in love with their game and Josh because of his above the rim ability.

Roy:

I believe that offensively he needs to become more aware of his surroundings. When you get an offensive rebound there are really three things you can do with it. 1) Pass Out 2) Go up hard 3) Fake or a delay. He uses number 3 more than either of the other two. He needs to go up with the object of breaking the rim. You get in the habit of that and fakes become more effective at proper times. Passing out, honestly, shouldn't be done often but if he is not in a comfortable position, he should do that instantly.

Defensively Roy needs to be careful to not let any post get too "in". When someone drop steps he fouls trying to go for the block that is often out of reach. Also, I think he has to be less concerned about people trying to go through him than around him. Wider, lower base stance.

Rush:

I think when Rush is an active part of the offense early in the possession it leads to more success. When the clock is winding down and he hasn't touched the ball he tends to stop moving. I would like the team to utilize some screens for him to see what he could do with that. Also, he needs to finish more consistently.

Defensively he is a great man on defender. He is a solid off the ball defender but he can lose his man a little more often than you want to see.

McRoberts:

This is less of an offense/defense analyses but is what I see McRoberts. I think he is the "stretch-stopper". His game is taylor-made to control players like Troy Murphy who would prefer to get into a jump shot contest with you. He has very solid perimeter defense. Offensively he has solid handles and of course is an explosive athlete. It would be nice if he showed a more consistent jumper as the type of player I feel he should be matched up against will probably sag against him.
                              "man, PG has been really good."

Comment

Working...
                              X