Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why aren't the Nets better than us?

Mood

Default Why aren't the Nets better than us?

I hear that Lopez is better than Hibbert, that Lee is better than Rush, and we all know Harris is far better than our PGs.

Furthemore, I think as of this moment, most would take their chances on Yi before settling for Tyler or Josh.

So why are they so far behind us in the W/L column? Shouldn't they have more than our 20 wins?

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Why aren't the Nets better than us?

Apparently, they must not be able to "stretch the floor" and hit 3's as well as we can.

Without looking...

Have they had a harder schedule?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Horrible shot making, bench, injuries, coaching change, injuries, too many slashers, low post guy that isn't ready for what he's stuck in, and a somewhat selfish player in Devin Harris running the point, who happens to be a very bad three point shooter.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IIRC they began basically the 1st quarter of the season without Lee or Harris. They were close to 0-18 when Harris returned. That is a huge hole to climb out from. I think the Pacers are deeper than them. They lost their coach, who is a coach Pacer fans wouldn't mind having. They purged most of their roster, for two seasons, to make financial room for a big time FA in 2010. Frankly they may just be better at tanking then the Pacers. I guess when a franchise has that bad of a start to a season the clear option is positioning for the draft. On the topic of Yi, he didn't pick up his play till late December I believe. Yi is one of those "if he could only play as well as he looks in shoot around" guys.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without looking...

Have they had a harder schedule?
    I don't know, but surely schedule alone wouldn't cause them to lose fourteen more games than us. Especially if all four of the players I mentioned are better than our versions.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I hear that Lopez is better than Hibbert, that Lee is better than Rush, and we all know Harris is far better than our PGs.

Furthemore, I think as of this moment, most would take their chances on Yi before settling for Tyler or Josh.

So why are they so far behind us in the W/L column? Shouldn't they have more than our 20 wins?
    Lopez is better than Hibbert. Lee isn't better than Rush. Yi isn't better than Murphy, who is more important to us than Hans or McRob. Devan is a scorer who kills his offense, TJ 2.0. That's why Dallas wanted a washed up Kidd instead. In other words, they suck for a reason. Plus, we have more depth.

Quote Originally Posted by focused444 View Post
    IIRC they began basically the 1st quarter of the season without Lee or Harris. They were close to 0-18 when Harris returned. That is a huge hole to climb out from. I think the Pacers are deeper than them. They lost their coach, who is a coach Pacer fans wouldn't mind having. They purged most of their roster, for two seasons, to make financial room for a big time FA in 2010. Frankly they may just be better at tanking then the Pacers. I guess when a franchise has that bad of a start to a season the clear option is positioning for the draft. On the topic of Yi, he didn't pick up his play till late December I believe. Yi is one of those "if he could only play as well as he looks in shoot around" guys.

All that. Plus their bench is one of worst in league history.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

They want it (#1) more?
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

The more I think about it, Hansbrough is better than Yi too. Much better PF than the stretch that Yi is. If Josh can improve his rebounding a little so is he. Yi is highly overrated. Bust status.

Um, Danny Granger?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kraft For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft View Post
    Um, Danny Granger?
    Yeah, and that guy.

Well, they start Trenton Hassell, who possibly wouldn't even crack the Pacers rotation and heck might not even make the roster of a few of the elite teams.

They have too many guys who thrive in isolation basketball but can't really facilitate. Lopez can facilitate inside outside ball pretty well for his experience level, and T-Will has facilitated well on occasion, but other than that, the team has very little cohesion.

Cause Larry Frank was their coach to begin the season.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Knicks tonight: 0-18 for 3PTers

Banned

because they know that they are not going anywhere right now and want to secure Jhon Wall and also because they are not playing a team "who gives them a better chance to win"

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    because they know that they are not going anywhere right now and want to secure Jhon Wall and also because they are not playing a team "who gives them a better chance to win"
    to be fair, nor do we..

I don't think the Nets personnel is better than the Pacers. Lee and Lopez are good...although the gap between Lopez and Hibbert is not huge. Harris is supposed to be the star but is over-rated based on his performance this year. Yi is over-rated because he is very inconsistent. Also, the Nets defense is worse than the Pacers. More than anything, Granger is head and shoulders better than anyone on the Nets. Other factors are Watson, D Jones and some of our younger players like Price and Rush. They are easily as good as the Nets supporting cast.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I would say having the best player between both teams could be a big part of it. Plus better role/bench players.

I don't think Lee is better than Rush though. Maybe a push.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

The answer to this question is simply Danny Granger. If you put Granger on the Nets they would have more wins right now than the Pacers do with him. The Nets starters are better than the Pacers as is their supporting cast. I would say ours would be better if our players were healthy.
    JOB is a silly man

Mood

But shouldn't Devin Harris off-set Danny Granger?

I actually love D Harris but he is not better than Granger.
    JOB is a silly man

No. Harris was playing very well last year. I'm not sure how he's doing right now, but earlier this year he was not doing well at all. I guess the same could be said of Granger...but here's the difference:

Harris is supposed to be the PG, yet he is usually scoring the ball and rarely shoots the 3 effectively. As a result, he expends a lot of energy on the offensive end and is not in a good position to get back on defense nearly as well as he would otherwise. In contrast, our guards are not the primary scoring weapons and as a result can focus more on D and get back to guard the fast break more effectively. The bottom line is...you really don't want your PG to be your go-to guy on offense. Sure, there have been success stories, but not too many in the recent past. The floor leader should be good at stopping penetration and getting others involved in the game, not calling his own number.

If I had to guess...

I think the Pacers have more mediocre veteran players in their rotation, who while they aren't that good, bring their mediocre play every night.

Nets appear to have a lot more younger players who really don't bring it every night.

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    If I had to guess...

I think the Pacers have more mediocre veteran players in their rotation, who while they aren't that good, bring their mediocre play every night.

Nets appear to have a lot more younger players who really don't bring it every night.
    Yes, that is a factor. What we have on the Pacers is a number of solid backups playing big minutes. With D Jones, Watson, Dunleavy, Murphy and Ford...we have numerous players with a lot of NBA experience. Against most teams most of these guys hurt you. Against the Nets, they may actually help.