Thread: Interesting Items in NY Post: Knicks / Donnie (and Pacers)

Default Interesting Items in NY Post: Knicks / Donnie (and Pacers)

"Interesting" article by Vecsey in today's NY Post: "Walsh's master plan may cap-size Knicks". The second-guessing has begun in New York --

[ http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...aPJf4iQYiUVXgL ]

On the preceding page, Post writer Mark Hale reports this great quote from Donnie concerning his Pacer years [ http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...ZSvl9q88QQORLO ] --

*** Discussing his cap-clearing plan, Donnie Walsh said he "did it another way in Indiana."

"There was no free agency," he said. "So we built through the draft. It took us seven years. I've been here two years -- you guys are wondering why we haven't won a championship so far. Can you imagine seven years of this?" ***

Now, the Knicks just traded their 2009 Lotto Pick (Jordon Hill), while their 2008 Lotto (Danilo Gallinari) has been a big disappointment (both these guys Donnie picked, BTW). Utah will enjoy the NYK 2010 very high Lotto courtesy of Isiah; while Houston owns their 2012 pick and can swap first-rounders with NY in 2011 as a result of the McGrady trade. NYK are betting the house on signing Lebron + another this summer, and the chances of that happening are fading.

Meantime, for better or worse, Larry has hung onto his recent draft picks, will have a high pick this year and next, and lots of cap space in 2011. Hopefully he makes good decisions over the next 2 years (and he can begin by dumping JOB tomorrow). Can you imagine seven years of this?

Default Re: Interesting Items in NY Post: Knicks / Donnie (and Pacers)

An interesting blurb from that first address is this;

Quote; I'm fairly flummoxed. What compelled Knicks team president Donnie Walsh to speak up for coach Mike D'Antoni, who appears to need a few sessions with Ray Handley on how to handle the New York media?

Why the sudden compulsion to blame himself for the Knicks' 21-39 record and all-too familiar submissiveness? It's kinda been apparent they have been in comprehensive tank mode since Zach Randolph (All-Star) and Jamal Crawford (leading sixth-man candidate) were given away.

What, D'Antoni wasn't really on board with Walsh's "master plan" when he accepted $24 million for four years? Why is he acting like the consummate sore loser, as if he didn't know the first two seasons were going to get fragged? Why so grumpy when his tactics and techniques, or lack thereof, is questioned, as if he's Phil Jackson and is above being challenged?

OK, so D'Antoni takes losing awfully bad and surrenders even worse. We get it. Good for him. End Quote

Two thoughts. Bird took responsibility for the Pacers record a few weeks ago, now Donnie's doing the same. Why? For the same reason, to take heat off of their respective coachs.

What are the coach's doing? Not getting along with the media.

But that NY media is far more demanding and abrasive than this kid's gloves market. And Donnie is cleaning up after the Isiah years, while Bird is ....
    Well, I'm not quite sure what Bird has in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by brewpopps View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But that NY media is far more demanding and abrasive than this kid's gloves market. And Donnie is cleaning up after the Isiah years, while Bird is ....
    Well, I'm not quite sure what Bird has in mind.
    Larry is cleaning up after the Donnie years.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

If we never traded for Murphleavy and Ike...

Larry would have a much easier time.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thesterovic For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wjs View Post
    "Interesting" article by Vecsey in today's NY Post: "Walsh's master plan may cap-size Knicks". The second-guessing has begun in New York --

[ http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...aPJf4iQYiUVXgL ]

On the preceding page, Post writer Mark Hale reports this great quote from Donnie concerning his Pacer years [ http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...ZSvl9q88QQORLO ] --

*** Discussing his cap-clearing plan, Donnie Walsh said he "did it another way in Indiana."

"There was no free agency," he said. "So we built through the draft. It took us seven years. I've been here two years -- you guys are wondering why we haven't won a championship so far. Can you imagine seven years of this?" ***

Now, the Knicks just traded their 2009 Lotto Pick (Jordon Hill), while their 2008 Lotto (Danilo Gallinari) has been a big disappointment (both these guys Donnie picked, BTW). Utah will enjoy the NYK 2010 very high Lotto courtesy of Isiah; while Houston owns their 2012 pick and can swap first-rounders with NY in 2011 as a result of the McGrady trade. NYK are betting the house on signing Lebron + another this summer, and the chances of that happening are fading.

Meantime, for better or worse, Larry has hung onto his recent draft picks, will have a high pick this year and next, and lots of cap space in 2011. Hopefully he makes good decisions over the next 2 years (and he can begin by dumping JOB tomorrow). Can you imagine seven years of this?
    Disagree about Gallinari being a big disappointment. Knicks fans love the guy...He's a good player too..only what - 21 or 22 years old?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post

.... and then we would of still had two malcontent players that the fan base disliked in Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson. I don't blame Donnie for doing what he did . . . . he was trying to improve the teams public image (something that couldn't of happened with SJax here). That said, I would of liked to of kept Saras. . . .he was one of my favs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sobchak View Post

Disagree about Gallinari being a big disappointment. Knicks fans love the guy...He's a good player too..only what - 21 or 22 years old?

I totally agree. I couldn't understand the comment about Gallinari being a big disappointment. Sure, he was injured last year, but he's played well this year. I only hope Tyler comes back to play as well next year after being injured this year as Gallinari has this year after being injured his 1st year.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Who wrote this article?

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Peter Vecsey...For what it's worth.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP63 View Post
    Peter Vecsey...For what it's worth.
    Maybe half a cent. I don't trust Vecsey or the NY Post.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I totally agree. I couldn't understand the comment about Gallinari being a big disappointment. Sure, he was injured last year, but he's played well this year. I only hope Tyler comes back to play as well next year after being injured this year as Gallinari has this year after being injured his 1st year.
    Looking at the 2008 draft, I don't see much of anybody better than Gallinari. Maybe Hibbert. That's about it.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    .... and then we would of still had two malcontent players that the fan base disliked in Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson. I don't blame Donnie for doing what he did . . . . he was trying to improve the teams public image (something that couldn't of happened with SJax here). That said, I would of liked to of kept Saras. . . .he was one of my favs.
    What? To lump Al with Jackson is a huge disservice. Harrington was never a malcontent nor did the fan base dislike him.
    Now Saras, he just plain sukked.

Well, you really can't do much better than Walsh and D'Antoni for your GM/Coach. Having said that, Donnie gave up way, way too much to get into the Lebron sweepstakes. Sure, if everything goes well, he could end up with Lebron, Bosh, and even a potentially healthy and motivated McGrady.

However, things rarely work out perfectly, and if they don't land one of those guys, they are going to be bad for a long, long time. Further, if this doesn't work, this trade becomes worse than anything Isiah did during his tenure there (well, except for the sexual harrassment).

I will be very surprised if Lebron goes to the knicks, but that is the key to all of this. The difference between us and them is small market/big market. During his hay day Walsh was one of the best GM's. The 90's were great here in pacer land. The 2000's not so great.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    I will be very surprised if Lebron goes to the knicks, but that is the key to all of this.
    Doesn't he have some obnoxious kicker in his Nike contract if he plays in NY, LA or some other major market ?? It's not about his NBA contract. I heard somewhere that Cleveland can offer him 25 million more than another team. I'm pretty certain he can make that up in endorsements in NY. It's about everything else NOT basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    Doesn't he have some obnoxious kicker in his Nike contract if he plays in NY, LA or some other major market ?? It's not about his NBA contract. I heard somewhere that Cleveland can offer him 25 million more than another team. I'm pretty certain he can make that up in endorsements in NY. It's about everything else NOT basketball.
    A long-standing rumor that has never been confirmed.

However, there are two more conspiracy theory type rumors that you might be interested in, courtesy of Bill Simmons:

LeBron just changed his number away from 23. That number is retired both in Chicago and Miami, both major players in the LeBron sweepstakes.

Lebron, Wade, and Bosh are all sponsored by Nike. Nike instructs them each to sign with the Knicks, and Nike matches the pay discrepancy so that they can launch an advertising blitz around the best "Big 3" of all time, or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post

If we never traded for Murphleavy and Ike...half our roster would be in jail
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Protect the Promise. HOOPFANATIC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrBadd01 View Post
    .... and then we would of still had two malcontent players that the fan base disliked in Al Harrington and Stephen .
    Malcontent: a discontented person: a : one who bears a grudge from a sense of grievance or thwarted ambition b : one who is in active opposition to an established order.

I think the fanbase would be labeled the malcontents, ecspecially considering that neither of those players have had any of the same issues they had in Indiana.

I think we could have worked out a better deal with another team, but i don't fault management for trying it.
    Protect the Promise!!!!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post

However, there are two more conspiracy theory type rumors that you might be interested in, courtesy of Bill Simmons:

LeBron just changed his number away from 23. That number is retired both in Chicago and Miami, both major players in the LeBron sweepstakes.
    Him changing numbers actually supports the idea that he'll stay in Cleveland. When you are switching numbers but staying in the same place, you have to do it months ahead (like Lebron just did and like Kobe did a few years ago). But there is no need to file paperwork for a number change if you know you're going to another team. You just change it when you sign.