Thread: Bears sign Peppers, Taylor

Default Bears sign Peppers, Taylor

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nf...ory?id=4969071
    ESPN.com
    John Clayton

The Bears and Julius Peppers finalized a six-year deal to bring the top free agent in 2010 to Chicago.

Peppers was looking for at least $12 million a year in the early part of the contract. The agreement could be worth $40 million over the first three years.

The 6-foot-7, 283-pound Peppers is a five-time Pro Bowler who recorded 10.5 sacks with two interceptions and five forced fumbles last season.

"If we bring in Julius Peppers, that could help us a lot," Bears defensive end Alex Brown said Thursday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "The guy's a monster, he's an animal. He's the biggest guy and fastest guy I think I've ever seen.

"He's as gifted as [linebacker Brian] Urlacher, I think. He's just about 30 pounds heavier. He's unbelievable."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nf...ory?id=4967833
    Jeff Dickerson
    ESPNChicago.com

CHICAGO -- Chester Taylor said the Chicago Bears' potential to contend for a Super Bowl is one of the reasons he signed a four-year contract with the team on Friday.

The former Minnesota Vikings running back agreed to a $12.5 million deal, with $7 million guaranteed in the first year, a source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

"The Bears seem like they have a great opportunity to go to the Super Bowl," Taylor said on "The Afternoon Saloon" on ESPN 1000. "I want to go to a team that could contend for the Super Bowl.

"Chicago's making all the right moves to try to win a championship, that's another thing I noticed. They want to win here. I want to come in and win. We're making the right moves."

Taylor, who had 338 yards rushing in 2009 for Minnesota, has caught 89 passes the past two seasons, which is an important quality in a Mike Martz offense. The Bears hired Martz as the offensive coordinator during the offseason.

"I'm really looking forward to [playing for Martz], because I can catch the ball and go against linebackers and get open," Taylor said. "I just want to have the same impact Marshall Faulk had when he was in Mike Martz's offense [with the St. Louis Rams]."

Taylor said he wasn't sure if he'll get the opportunity to start in front of Matt Forte.

"I'm just coming in, competing," he said.

Taylor rushed for a career-high 1,216 yards in 2006, the year before the Vikings drafted Adrian Peterson.
    They sure got stronger. Peppers, even if he takes plays off, will still make them better. Who knows maybe they can make him play harder.

Taylor is an upgrade for them, IMO. He's pretty good. But they still need to upgrade their offensive line for him, and Cutler to have a positive impact. Plus they still need some major help in the WR department.

Default Re: Bears sign Peppers, Taylor

6 years? LMAO.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Default Re: Bears sign Peppers, Taylor

Peppers was about their only choice when it came to seriously improving their team next year. With all the picks gone for Cutler, they had to make big move like this.

I still don't get the Chester Taylor signing. They do need another running back, but an older one who's best attribute is that he can catch the ball? Matt Forte can catch the ball. They couldn't run the ball because the offensive line was awful.