View Poll Results: Who would you like to see as the Pacers coach?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim O'Brien - I like him

1 1.45%
  • Jim O'Brien - We are paying him anyway so let him start next season

3 4.35%
  • Lawrence Frank

4 5.80%
  • Byron Scott

17 24.64%
  • Mark Jackson

7 10.14%
  • Avery Johnson

3 4.35%
  • Lester Conner

1 1.45%
  • Sam Mitchell

1 1.45%
  • A young NBA assistant coach from a good team

12 17.39%
  • I wish we still had Rick Carlisle

7 10.14%
  • Other (Specify)

3 4.35%
  • I don't care who - just not JOB

10 14.49%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who would you like to see as the Pacers coach in 2010-2011?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who would you like to see as the Pacers coach in 2010-2011?

Two names that come to mind for me would be John Stockton or Mark Iavaroni. Watching Stockton his entire career and seeing what a floor general he was. . . he would be a great choice. the hard thing with Stockton is getting him to take the job. He is pretty happy in retirement right now.

Iavaroni was somebody who I thought got a raw deal in Memphis. . . . He would bring a great offensive system and would probably be cheaper to bring on now than he was before.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lenny Wilkens was a HOFer as a player and currently has the most wins of any coach.
    Tommy Heinsohn is another HoFer as a player and has a 427/263 record + 2 NBA titles as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    I really like the idea of at least interviewing international candidates.
    Nah, too early and the only guy worth considering is out of the picture.

Maybe David Blatt - American, former PG for Pete Carril at Princeton who constructed his coaching career in Europe - as an assistant coach.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    I personally voted for the young assistant because you can get someone that is willing to take their lumps with the young guys early on, but grow with the team that he's coaching.
    I'd consider going that way once I actually had a new roster filled with young players.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Some assistants I like are Brian Shaw (LAL), Mike Budenholzer (SA), Lester Conner (IND), Alex English (TOR) Tom Thibodeau (BOS).

Not all of these guys are young, but they're good, player type head coaches who work to develop individual players and also can run an all around, fair, balanced system I'm sure.

I'd hope JOB would be hired as an assistant coach in the league elsewhere. He can help out with a team's offense.
    Shaw has never showed interest in leaving LA probably because he's Jackson annointed heir. Thibodeau, I'm not sure if he'd be a good head-coach. He's been trying to get a gig for years and nobody has ever given him the opportunity.

My favourite guy of that group is Mike Budenholzer. The Spurs offence runs like a Swizz clock and he's a big part of it + he's said to be really good relationship-wise (unlike PJ Carlesimo) + the Spurs Summer League squads are always very organized.

------

I'd keep O'Brien barring major roster changes, but if I had to replace him, my top choices would be:

Veterans
    1. Paul Silas
    2. Jeff Van Gundy (probably not interested)
    3. Sam Mitchell

Non-veterans
    1. Mike Budenholzer
    2. Monty Williams
    3. Dave Joerger

Mood

I wouldn't be shocked to see Sam Mitchell be our next coach. He's been off the radar for a little while, and I think I even remember him being mentioned as a potential guy for us 3 years ago.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really don't like the idea of Lawrence Frank coaching the P's at all being as Nets fans ended up hating him and campaigning for his firing. Seems like a redundant move to drop O'Brien for Frank.

I don't want Scott either.

Anyone but O'Bie and the other 2 IMO.
    Pacers,baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I wouldn't be shocked to see Sam Mitchell be our next coach. He's been off the radar for a little while, and I think I even remember him being mentioned as a potential guy for us 3 years ago.
    I have been thinking the same thing and that's why I had him on the poll, although he is not getting much love in the voting dept. He actually had a nice record with the Raptors but I think he wore on the team (I remember him being described as a disciplnarian-type) and they let him go very early in the 08-09 season even though the Raptors were 8-9 and the Raptors got steadily worse after that.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want to start out by saying that I don't claim to be as much of an "expert" about the Pacers and the NBA as you folks are. I'm a life-long Pacers fan, but I just don't know the in's and out's as much as many of you guys. I speak as a loyal fan just expressing his view, but I gladly read everyone else's opinions and actually am very interested in everyone's opinions.

With that said, I think knowing X's and O's as a head coach is overrated in the league. It's a combination of the talent you have and, IMHO, the assistants you have. Larry never really did much coaching when he was here. Carlisle and Harter seemed to be the brains behind everything.

This is why I am one of those people PacerDude hates...........I vote Mark Jackson. He is young enough to relate with many of the players, even being a former teammate of Foster. I think he would do a very good job in motivating the players and getting them to compete at a very high level, as well as helping AJ Price (or John Wall, maybe?) develop as complete point guards (and hopefully somehow teach them how to do all those bad-*** behind the back, no look passes).

I think you let the assistants be the "Coordinators", if you will. The question is, who are the assistants that would have the right combination of X's and O's that best fits the Pacers roster?
    Last edited by Day-V; 03-08-2010 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This is why I am one of those people PacerDude hates...........I vote Mark Jackson. He is young enough to relate with many of the players, even being a former teammate of Foster. I think he would do a very good job in motivating the players and getting them to compete at a very high level, as well as helping AJ Price (or John Wall, maybe?) develop as complete point guards (and hopefully somehow teach them how to do all those bad-*** behind the back, no look passes).
    Nobody has any kind of idea what kind of motivator Mark Jackson would be as a coach. Right now he's just a guy who looks and sounds cool on TV. That's it. That's all.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    Nobody has any kind of idea what kind of motivator Mark Jackson would be as a coach. Right now he's just a guy who looks and sounds cool on TV. That's it. That's all.
    I thought he was very vocal in his tenure as player here and the leadership he showed was like having a coach on the floor. He always knew how to push the right buttons with everyone. Feeding things into Reggie's ear through all those games in New York, working with young guys like Jalen at the time, and in his own little way, antagonizing the opposing team and just feeding that competitive energy to his teammates. It was contagious.

While someone said earlier (and it was probably you) that Bird at least had Front Office experience before he became a coach, I just really don't see how that helps in terms of actually coaching. I mean hell, Sam Perkins works in the front office, but I don't see what he does in anyway help out his coaching abilities, if he even has any to begin with.

Mood

I thought he was very vocal in his tenure as player here and the leadership he showed was like having a coach on the floor. He always knew how to push the right buttons with everyone. Feeding things into Reggie's ear through all those games in New York, working with young guys like Jalen at the time, and in his own little way, antagonizing the opposing team and just feeding that competitive energy to his teammates. It was contagious.

While someone said earlier (and it was probably you) that Bird at least had Front Office experience before he became a coach, I just really don't see how that helps in terms of actually coaching. I mean hell, Sam Perkins works in the front office, but I don't see what he does in anyway help out his coaching abilities, if he even has any to begin with.
    My fear is going into next year with an inexperienced coach, an inexperienced G.M., and inexperienced President of Basketball Operations with some expecting 'Rainbows and Butterflies'. No matter how much talent and potential the leaders have, we're going to make this year's Nets look like the 199596 Bulls.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Natston For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

If I were to ignore the $$$ aspect of this...specifically that TPTB won't spend $$$ on 2 Coaches on the payroll ( which is one of the reasons why I'm guessing that Lester Connor would be Coaching this Team at some point with the "interim" tag )......I can see TPTB pursuing Byron Scott as a Coach....mainly for 3 reasons.

( 1 ) he's Coach that Players can relate and listen to since he was one himself
    ( 2 ) he's shown that he can win and lead a Team to the Playoffs
    ( 3 ) he's a former well-known Pacer that long-time fans are familiar.

The last 2 reasons are the main reasons why I can see TPTB being interested in Byron Scott.....mainly to help draw back fans. As a Coach that has won many games with a young Hornets Team....he brings a winning mentality and Coaching Experience to the Team ( hence no learning curve that a young Coach would have to overcome ) while bringing back a familiar face for PR/Marketing reasons to the Organization.....both of which are important to try to attract fans back to the Fieldhouse.

Although one can ask why I'd consider bringing on a Coach for PR reasons....I'd agree if it were any other Coach. But Byron Scott does bring Experience and some Coaching respectability that fans can respect.

Just a guess and my hope that the Pacers would consider hiring him on.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Being in day to day operations can help prepare you for a job in coaching much better than the broadcast booth. You understand better the grind of preparing practices, film study, scouting and player development. I'm not saying Jackson can't learn this, but he'd clearly be behind.

FWIW, guys like Sam Mitchell, Sam Vincent, Michael Curry, Byron Scott, Avery Johnson and Terry Porter were all praised for carrying out similar leadership roles as players as Mark Jackson did. And when they coached, it's these same guys who players have had friction with for a variety of reasons and whose coaching players didn't always respond to. So just because they were good leaders on court and respected by their teammates as players didn't automatically mean that they got along with all their players as coaches, particularly Scott and Johnson.
    Last edited by d_c; 03-08-2010 at 03:08 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    Tommy Heinsohn is another HoFer as a player and has a 427/263 record + 2 NBA titles as a coach.
    That's a Tommy point for cordobes!