View Poll Results: Who would you like to see as the Pacers coach?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim O'Brien - I like him

1 1.45%
  • Jim O'Brien - We are paying him anyway so let him start next season

3 4.35%
  • Lawrence Frank

4 5.80%
  • Byron Scott

17 24.64%
  • Mark Jackson

7 10.14%
  • Avery Johnson

3 4.35%
  • Lester Conner

1 1.45%
  • Sam Mitchell

1 1.45%
  • A young NBA assistant coach from a good team

12 17.39%
  • I wish we still had Rick Carlisle

7 10.14%
  • Other (Specify)

3 4.35%
  • I don't care who - just not JOB

10 14.49%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who would you like to see as the Pacers coach in 2010-2011?

Default Re: Who would you like to see as the Pacers coach in 2010-2011?

I think with O'Brien on the pay role for another year, if you do decide to go in another direction, you don't want to overpay for a guy who may be gone another 2 or 3 years from now.

I think you need to go with either an assistant from a winning team that hasn't had a chance to run the show, or a coach who is younger that has a winning resume.

I think the Pacers need a fresh face and fresh hope regardless when it comes to the coach. So I voted for anyone other then O'Brien, but I also think the hiring of a new coach will be just about as important as our draft/summer this year.

This 3 year plan has to start getting some legs. From my understanding we're getting ready to head into year 3. I personally would like to start seeing this plan in action, and that personally means I want to see fresh faces on the court.

And I'm not talking overhaul, I'm talking about there being a 3 year plan in the first place, b/c the product on the floor wasn't cutting it. The first part of the plan was cleaning house and getting rid of those whom had overstayed their welcome or had gotten in trouble for whatever reason. That has been done

2nd is to work towards building a roster/core that can help lead this team back to EC glory, while looking toward the 3rd and final goal of having the flexibility to put together a championship team.

Well we're just around the corner from seeing the last part of this plan take affect.

Our big contracts are expiring at the end of next year... so let's see if we have or can get the core we have been waiting for

I think I'd go with the fresh start approach. I also think that they have to go with a name that the locals know and can appreciate. I don't this comes in the form of an assistant on a winning team. I could care less whether we get an assistant from LA or Cleveland. Those guys aren't going bring any excitement to the team.

I would prefer or go with either Byron Scott or Mark Jackson. Both are known by the locals, both are high in character, and most importantly both have a very high basketball IQ. They know what it takes to win. I think next year would be the time to bring in a new guy and get everything in place and then hopefully in the off season we can make the right moves to take this team to the next level.

They are still 2-3 years away from being much of anything, but i don't think pacer fans can take another year of JOB. If he was even trying to develop young players then it would be a whole other thing. The man has to be shown the door

Quote Originally Posted by thefeistyone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would prefer or go with either Byron Scott or Mark Jackson.
    For the ump-teenth time ............ why Mark Jackson ??

He has zero experience, the arrogance to say that he doesn't want to be an assistant first .................

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    For the ump-teenth time ............ why Mark Jackson ??

He has zero experience, the arrogance to say that he doesn't want to be an assistant first .................
    It's actually the first time I've said Mark Jackson. There are tons of former players that jump into the head coach role without being an assistant. Some work out, some don't...Do we really have the option to sign a coach that is a sure thing? Is there such a thing?

I'd go with Mark just cause he is something different. The locals love him and like I said before, he is very high on character. I don't think that can be overstated in our next coach. Would bringing in an assistant that has never been a head coach be that much better? Shoot JOB had a bad record as a head coach and he was good enough.

The only thing that we know for sure is that what we are doing isn't working. My question to you is what makes Mark Jackson that much worse than an assistant who has never been a head coach or a failed head coach that was bumped down to assistant?

It's actually the first time I've said Mark Jackson. ....................... My question to you is what makes Mark Jackson that much worse than an assistant who has never been a head coach or a failed head coach that was bumped down to assistant?
    First off, it wasn't directed solely at you. Lots of other people have said the same thing.

As much as I'd rather not, I'll answer your question with a question:

What has he shown in any capacity that he is able to handle the responsibilities of a head coach ?? Hell, I can make insightful comments about a game being played in front of me. Does that qualify me ?? Dealing with a young group of players that we HOPE will turn into a good TEAM, I would say that we need someone that has the ability to handle young people. College coach ?? I dunno. An assistant from somewhere ?? Don't know that either. But Jackson hasn't even coached a CYO league. He has no established credentials. I think you need that with a young team. Bird had it completely different. An older, established, veteran team. And a few good assistants (though watching THIS version of the Pacers, I gotta question Harter and his defensive schemes ............ but I digress). Even JOB had it different with his other 'successful' teams. This group needs someone to help them develop, grow, get better together. I just feel that needs experience.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    First off, it wasn't directed solely at you. Lots of other people have said the same thing.

As much as I'd rather not, I'll answer your question with a question:

What has he shown in any capacity that he is able to handle the responsibilities of a head coach ?? Hell, I can make insightful comments about a game being played in front of me. Does that qualify me ?? Dealing with a young group of players that we HOPE will turn into a good TEAM, I would say that we need someone that has the ability to handle young people. College coach ?? I dunno. An assistant from somewhere ?? Don't know that either. But Jackson hasn't even coached a CYO league. He has no established credentials. I think you need that with a young team. Bird had it completely different. An older, established, veteran team. And a few good assistants (though watching THIS version of the Pacers, I gotta question Harter and his defensive schemes ............ but I digress). Even JOB had it different with his other 'successful' teams. This group needs someone to help them develop, grow, get better together. I just feel that needs experience.
    Sorry, thought that directed at just me. We all have our own beliefs on what this team needs.

I think what we have now is a veteran coach with a "proven" record and a young team. It's really not working out too well from my end. So where do we go? I think we go with a youthful coach that can bring energy and excitement back to indiana.

Bird didn't have any coaching experience before he came in, he did have a high basketball iq and he knew how to make players around him better. Mark certainly has the same credentials. If he surrounds himself with some good assistants I think he is perfectly capable of leading an NBA team. College basketball is about coaches, the NBA is about players.

Maybe Mark isn't the perfect choice, I just don't think he would be bad. I don't see top billing coaches lining up for a shot here or us paying for a top tier coach.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to thefeistyone For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd be willing to take a gamble on Mark Jackson also... ya he doesn't have any experience, but I think it would be worth taking a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjacobs7 View Post
    I'd be willing to take a gamble on Mark Jackson also... ya he doesn't have any experience, but I think it would be worth taking a chance.
    So anybody who is a cool dude and sounds good on TV is worth just taking a gamble on for that alone?

Guess all those guys working their butts off year after year as assistants can just watch Jackson come straight from the TV booth and take one of their jobs as if nothing they ever did mattered.

Bird didn't have any coaching experience before he came in, he did have a high basketball iq and he knew how to make players around him better. Mark certainly has the same credentials. If he surrounds himself with some good assistants I think he is perfectly capable of leading an NBA team. College basketball is about coaches, the NBA is about players.
    Bird at least worked several years in day to day opertions for an NBA team (Celtics) after retiring before taking a job. That's a lot different than working in a broadcast booth.

But you are correct that the NBA is about players a lot more than it is coaches. That being said, you can't just give anybody a job just because they have a nice personality and sound good on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    So anybody who is a cool dude and sounds good on TV is worth just taking a gamble on for that alone?

Guess all those guys working their butts off year after year as assistants can just watch Jackson come straight from the TV booth and take one of their jobs as if nothing they ever did mattered.
    He wouldn't be my preference because of what you have mentioned. I'd actually prefer Byron Scott. What I am saying about Mark Jackson... knowing next season won't amount to much, it may be hard to find a coach this offseason willing to coach our team. If the options we have aren't that great, I would rather take a gamble giving Jackson the job.

Re: Mark Jackson - Other than Larry Bird, what really good NBA players have been good coaches. I'm sure there are more, but I just can't think of them right now.

Re: Waiting to hire a coach - If Avery Johnson and Byron Scott are the "elite" coaches that we're waiting to hire, I'd rather hire someone young and unproven this summer. I'd like to follow the examples of Cleveland and Atlanta. Brown and Woodson were both young and inexperienced coaches who were hired to coach a young team and were allowed to grow with the team. They've both turned out fairly well.

I really like the idea of at least interviewing international candidates.

If we're stuck on hiring a locally recognizable name, how about Keith Smart? Any input on him, d_c?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    Re: Mark Jackson - Other than Larry Bird, what really good NBA players have been good coaches. I'm sure there are more, but I just can't think of them right now.

Re: Waiting to hire a coach - If Avery Johnson and Byron Scott are the "elite" coaches that we're waiting to hire, I'd rather hire someone young and unproven this summer. I'd like to follow the examples of Cleveland and Atlanta. Brown and Woodson were both young and inexperienced coaches who were hired to coach a young team and were allowed to grow with the team. They've both turned out fairly well.

I really like the idea of at least interviewing international candidates.

If we're stuck on hiring a locally recognizable name, how about Keith Smart? Any input on him, d_c?
    Lenny Wilkens was a HOFer as a player and currently has the most wins of any coach.

Keith Smart is a seasoned guy. Been around for awhile in the league as an assistant. Nellie would like to see him get the head coaching job, but your guess is as good as mine as to if he's going to stay in GS after Nellie calls it quits.

He seems to have the pedigree and I suppose he deserves a shot as much as anyone, but right now he's just one of many assistants who "deserves a shot" but you don't know what you'll get from him until he actually gets a job full time.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Whoever it might be, I hope they can set up a good half court offense. So we can proper use players like Hibbert, Granger, and Tyler.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd have to go Byron Scott. He's a former Pacer, his teams have been largely successful, and he's a big stickler on defense (which wins games).

That, and I think he'd give the Pacers a better chance to land Chris Paul...and would also be a good coach for John Wall (if we were to be so lucky).

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

I personally voted for the young assistant because you can get someone that is willing to take their lumps with the young guys early on, but grow with the team that he's coaching.

...as for Byron Scott, I'm more concerned about why he was fired down in New Orleans. I'm sure his priorities were really called into question when instances of "holding up a team flight to finish a round of golf" are allegedly some of the reason for your firing.

I don't think Bird gives him a sniff being a former rival with a questionable work ethic.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Personally I like Byron Scott...but I just came across a website that is pro-BYRON SCOTT

http://firebyronscott.com/
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wonder if Byron Scott hadn't played for the Pacers, would he be getting this much love? Personally I don't really care if the future coach has any ties to the franchise--I just want to win.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I still like the idea of Bill Lambier or a coach that has experience developing young guys.
    Larry would never ever, ever, ever even comtemplate the idea of thinking about it. He hates Bill.

"Good morning Larry"

"**** you Bill."
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Thesterovic For This Useful Post:

Larry also has a man crush on Mark Jackson. I think that Larry would absolutely adore having him as an assistant.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    I think that Larry would absolutely adore having him as an assistant.
    I'd be on board with that.

I'm a big fan of plucking out a long term assistant for one of the top coaches in the league. One name to keep in mind is Elston Turner, he is Adelman's right hand man. Adelman is a top 5 coach in this league.

Turner's key role is player development and scouting opposition. He's a former player, and I've heard he has a great relationship with Houston's young talent. They've taken late picks and turned them into very good players (Brooks, Landry, Scola, etc).

I'm a firm believer in Avery Johnson as well.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to purdue101 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    I'm a big fan of plucking out a long term assistant for one of the top coaches in the league. One name to keep in mind is Elston Turner, he is Adelman's right hand man. Adelman is a top 5 coach in this league.

Turner's key role is player development and scouting opposition. He's a former player, and I've heard he has a great relationship with Houston's young talent. They've taken late picks and turned them into very good players (Brooks, Landry, Scola, etc).

I'm a firm believer in Avery Johnson as well.
    Turner is a guy who might deserve a shot, but remember what happened with Marc Iavaroni. Remember that Iavaroni was Mike D'Antoni's right hand man for the majority of the time during their year's of great success. Iavaroni was credited with having a lot to do with it.

He bacme a very hot item following D'Antoni's first two seasons of success there, going so far as to TURN DOWN a couple of head coaching offers because he didn't like their roster situations.

Then he finally decided to coach Memphis. And he totally bombed out. He didn't get along with players. The team lost a lot and he was gone not 1.5 years after being hired. I think Turner wouldn't be a bad choice, but keep in mind a lot of guys might be great "right hand" man's, but terrible head coaches. Iavaroni is a good example of that.

And FWIW, if you don't like the way JOB treated McBobbies in that post game interview, you're definitely not going to like the way Avery Johnson calls people out and throws them under the bus during his press conferences.

Edit: And although Kurt Rambis deserves more time in Minnesota, it doesn't appear as if spending the better part of 8 years as the lead assistant to the most successful NBA coach of all time has made much of a difference for them.
    Last edited by d_c; 03-06-2010 at 10:43 AM.

[QUOTE=Thesterovic;970045]

Larry would never ever, ever, ever even comtemplate the idea of thinking about it. He hates Bill. /QUOTE]

If they don't have a Celtic connection, they are NOT going to be high on Bird's list.

IIRC, Bird wanted Dennis Johnson to coach the Pacers b4 he died.

Tom T., being at Boston, might be an assist coach Bird would consider if he's inclined that JO'B's replacement doesn't have to have had HC experience.

Some assistants I like are Brian Shaw (LAL), Mike Budenholzer (SA), Lester Conner (IND), Alex English (TOR) Tom Thibodeau (BOS).

Not all of these guys are young, but they're good, player type head coaches who work to develop individual players and also can run an all around, fair, balanced system I'm sure.

I'd hope JOB would be hired as an assistant coach in the league elsewhere. He can help out with a team's offense.

I'm dying to see Mark Jackson try his chops at coaching. Would love for that to be in Indiana.