View Poll Results: Who would you like to see as the Pacers coach?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim O'Brien - I like him

1 1.45%
  • Jim O'Brien - We are paying him anyway so let him start next season

3 4.35%
  • Lawrence Frank

4 5.80%
  • Byron Scott

17 24.64%
  • Mark Jackson

7 10.14%
  • Avery Johnson

3 4.35%
  • Lester Conner

1 1.45%
  • Sam Mitchell

1 1.45%
  • A young NBA assistant coach from a good team

12 17.39%
  • I wish we still had Rick Carlisle

7 10.14%
  • Other (Specify)

3 4.35%
  • I don't care who - just not JOB

10 14.49%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who would you like to see as the Pacers coach in 2010-2011?

Default Who would you like to see as the Pacers coach in 2010-2011?

Who is your top pick for next season?

Default Re: Who would you like to see as the Pacers coach in 2010-2011?

Don't get me wrong, I think JOB is a horrible coach for this team and I too don't want him long term. However, I would rather wait until the summer of 2011 to go out and pursue an elite coach. Let JOB ride his contract out or terminate him and use an assistant (or Bird) temporarily. If JOB does stay 1 more year, demand he play the young talent.

I say this b/c I believe everything will come to fruition with this team in about a year. Roy, Rush, Hans, Granger, Price will continue to develop. We'll add a top 5 pick this year, probably a lotto pick next year. We'll either move our expirings next Feb. for a star talent or we will have a ton of money to spend in FA, probably a combination of both. Everything should fall into place in about 12 months. At that time, I think we have the best chance to lure in an elite coach (Avery, Byron, etc). I doubt we can entice a big name until they are assured they have the foundation to win.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to purdue101 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't get me wrong, I think JOB is a horrible coach for this team and I too don't want him long term. However, I would rather wait until the summer of 2011 to go out and pursue an elite coach. Let JOB ride his contract out or terminate him and use an assistant (or Bird) temporarily. If JOB does stay 1 more year, demand he play the young talent.
    That is an interesting point and I think it has some merit - certainly summer of 2011 chances are we could get a "better coach" than we can probably get summer of 2010. However I'm not sure the franchise can survive another season like this (I know I can't in this forum)

Knowing Jim if Bird demands he play the young talent (which I think he has for the most part this year, more than a number of coaches would) Jim would quit like he did in Boston - but any hard fast restrictions and I think Jim will quit

so I say you are better off making a change this summer even if that means the coach you do get is 90% as good as the coach you could get next summer

Banned

This could be the guy, I think that we have the right group to play the same San Antonio Spurs system, big man and spot up shooters, he is also young and could grow with the team.

Chad Forcier
    College - Seattle Pacific
    Is currently in his 3rd season with the Spurs after joining the team in the summer of 2007 … started his coaching career while in college, joining the Seattle SuperSonics as an intern in 1992 … spent five seasons with the Sonics, working for head coach George Karl … from 1994–97 served as varsity assistant coach and JV head coach at Lake Washington High School in Kirkland, Washington … in 1997 was named an assistant coach at Oregon State University … spent three seasons at OSU before moving to the University of Portland where he served as an assistant during the 2000–01 season … worked six seasons for Rick Carlisle as an assistant coach … spent two years with the Detroit Pistons (2001–03) and then joined Carlisle in Indiana for four more seasons (2003–07) … a 1995 graduate of Seattle Pacific University … his brother, Todd, is the strength and conditioning coach for the University of Kentucky men’s basketball team and his sister, Jade Hayes, is the girl’s basketball coach at Bellevue Christian High School in Bellevue, Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

However I'm not sure the franchise can survive another season like this (I know I can't in this forum)

Knowing Jim

I can understand that. Both the franchise and you have taken a beating this season.

Knowing Jim??? That sounds like you personally know him, is that really true??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    I can understand that. Both the franchise and you have taken a beating this season.

Knowing Jim??? That sounds like you personally know him, is that really true??
    I don't think he knows him in person, he just defend him so much that he feels like he knows him...........

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This could be the guy, I think that we have the right group to play the same San Antonio Spurs system, big man and spot up shooters, he is also young and could grow with the team.

Chad Forcier
    College - Seattle Pacific
    Is currently in his 3rd season with the Spurs after joining the team in the summer of 2007 … started his coaching career while in college, joining the Seattle SuperSonics as an intern in 1992 … spent five seasons with the Sonics, working for head coach George Karl … from 1994–97 served as varsity assistant coach and JV head coach at Lake Washington High School in Kirkland, Washington … in 1997 was named an assistant coach at Oregon State University … spent three seasons at OSU before moving to the University of Portland where he served as an assistant during the 2000–01 season … worked six seasons for Rick Carlisle as an assistant coach … spent two years with the Detroit Pistons (2001–03) and then joined Carlisle in Indiana for four more seasons (2003–07) … a 1995 graduate of Seattle Pacific University … his brother, Todd, is the strength and conditioning coach for the University of Kentucky men’s basketball team and his sister, Jade Hayes, is the girl’s basketball coach at Bellevue Christian High School in Bellevue, Washington.
    he's never actually even sat on the bench. he's always been behind the bench.

he's not ready.

I don't know Jim personally. I was referring to what he did in Boston

I selected Byron, because I like him and, regardless of what his detractors say, he is the most successful of the candidates.

That said, I'll say what I said before Jimmy was hired. Larry needs to decide on a vision for the team, then hire a staff that agrees with that vision and is capable of implementing it. Now, Larry said all the right things in that regard the last time, and he still gives significant lip service to that now.

So, I really don't know. I don't know what Larry wants, I don't know who he wants on the team and if he will make moves to further those goals. The most important thing in my book is the front office and the coaching staff are on the same page. Of course, if that really is still the case and this is the result, then Simon should look at changing the front office.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Banned

he's never actually even sat on the bench. he's always been behind the bench.

he's not ready.

I don't know Jim personally. I was referring to what he did in Boston
    I think he is ready, he is been doing it for a long time now, he is one of those coaches that people keeps talking about every time somebody gets fire.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I think he is ready, he is been doing it for a long time now, he is one of those coaches that people keeps talking about every time somebody gets fire.
    I've never heard, seen, read anything about Chad Forcier being a possible head coaching candidate. Might you have him confused with someone else. Maybe I've missed it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

More difficult question than it first appears.

With current financial constraints in consideration, an interim promotion from within would allow Conner to take over for next season and just have one less assistant, while giving him a head coach salary would only increase franchise expenses by the amount of whatever increase he would receive as head coach instead of the entire amount of money for an entire new coach and coaching staff, assuming that Conner would retain everyone but O'B.

Otherwise, the temptation is either the emotional "Anybody but O'B", or Byron Scott, who is a leader with Pacers connection from the past.

Think outside the box--interview a top international coach, or at least leak interest in talking to one. Then grab an up and coming NBA assistant like Tom Thibodeau.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not really for a specific head coach in particular. I think a younger coach like Frank or Scott or an assistant who can improve our players and comes in with experience is what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Then grab an up and coming NBA assistant like Tom Thibodeau.
    He would be on my short list and would certainly get an interview if I were conducting a search.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I'd like to see a picture of Larry Bird with a boombox over his head, trying desperately to win Carlisle back.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to maragin For This Useful Post:

I still like the idea of Bill Lambier or a coach that has experience developing young guys.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

He would be on my short list and would certainly get an interview if I were conducting a search.

See we can agree on something!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

We don't need championship level coach or anything, because this team is certainly not near that level at the moment. All I want is a solid coach who will run a more traditional system and who works well with young players, which is why I went with Frank. A lot of these other higher profile guys will probably cost more money than Frank would anyway, I think it is a realistic scenario.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Sports Logo

Unfortunately, who I like to coach the Team in 2010-2011 ( Byron Scott ) is different then who I think will coach the Team in 2010-2011 ( JO'B or Lester ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Based on recent events, and the media turning against Obrien, I just can't imagine them bringing him back next season. It would be all out mutiny. Based on the way he is acting and the things he has said, Obrien is acting like a guy who knows his days are numbered.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Based on recent events, and the media turning against Obrien, I just can't imagine them bringing him back next season. It would be all out mutiny. Based on the way he is acting and the things he has said, Obrien is acting like a guy who knows his days are numbered.
    They would lose too many fans. Even some of the die-hards would pack it in if they were to bring him back. This team is bleeding money as it is, they don't need to antagonize their fans.

I think Byron Scott is the best choice. He played here and was well liked when he was here. He went to New Jersey and New Orleans and turned there franchises around. He would be a great mentor for a point guard and maybe just maybe he could get CP3 out of New Orleans for us.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers74 View Post
    I think Byron Scott is the best choice. .......He would be a great mentor for a point guard and maybe just maybe he could get CP3 out of New Orleans for us .
    I would hire anyone Paul wanted if that would get Paul to come here.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I'm very surprised that Byron Scott is winning this poll considering the desire you guys have for seeing the young players on the floor more time. I think Scott is an excellent defensive game-planner that tends to use very conventional, vanilla, offences but would you be comfortable with a guy who's known by his inclination to put young, talented players in his doghouse forever?

Unless they land a top talent in the draft and do some big Summer trades that alter the current completion of the team I don't think it makes much sense for the Pacers to pay for two head-coaches next season.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cordobes For This Useful Post:

Isiah!

He's led FIU to a 7-24 record!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/teams/fam

just kidding...
    I think.
    How much worse would it be?