Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's ok. We're tanking. For the future.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: It's ok. We're tanking. For the future.

Quote Originally Posted by OrganizedConfusion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Opportunity cost of losing into top 5: 0
    Opportunity cost of winning 34-38 games: Top 7 draft pick

What's the bullet? There's nothing to lose by losing into the top 5.
    Why lose every game you can and still end up only with a top 7 pick?

I think the disconnect is that I seem to be one of the few people who still believes that the guy bringing his kid to a game at the end of the season wants to see the Pacers win. It's as if I am outnumbered by people who really think either that no one is bringing their kids to the game (or coming for a good time for themselves) or that everyone who comes to the games is cheering for the team to lose because it is fun to hope for a draft pick.

If you get 10 people who really enjoyed (say) the home win over the Bulls, then when things start to pick up they will be the first ones in line with their friends/family to get tickets for the better times. If their time stunk, they'll need to be shown a lot more.

Hard work at home with people in the stands is worth more than a few extra hundredths of a percentage point of dreams. Otherwise we'd all be better off rattling paper cups for change and buying Hoosier Lottery scratch-offs.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

So what if losing hurts ticket sales this season? A top draft pick would more than make up for that in future ticket sales if the player makes the team better.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Sadly, we really need both a Westbrook and a Durant.
    Make no mistake about it, though.

Kevin Durant is essentially the difference right now between the Oklahoma City Thunder and the Memphis Grizzlies. Make Rudy Gay and Durant swap rosters and it's pretty likely that both teams would be swapping records.

It's not that the Thunder are all of a sudden better because they chose to play/develop their young guys (even though they did do that). It's because one of their young guys has the talent to be a Top 5 player in the league and this year he's showing it. I mean, the T-Wolves play their young guys, too. Difference is they don't have anyone like Durant.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Still on track with the loss last night. I couldn't watch as I am up at 5:52 am already at work. After reading about the game it sounded like a physical one. Oh well, we just need the teams with 21 wins to start winning some games!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    We don't need a Westbrook. We need a Durant.

Enter tanking, the #1/#2 pick and Wall/Turner.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Sadly, we really need both a Westbrook and a Durant.
    We need a secondary All-Star-level player, I just don't think it has to be a top-five guy. It would be great to have one, obviously, but I don't think it's a necessity. I think Granger is good enough to be the #1 guy on a successful team. I'd put him on par with our last two "franchise players", Reggie and Jermaine. We just need to find the rest of the pieces sooner rather than later.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjacobs7 View Post
    So what if losing hurts ticket sales this season? A top draft pick would more than make up for that in future ticket sales if the player makes the team better.
    Only if it is one of the Hype players, not just one of the top picks. Otherwise, they'll wait t6o see what happens first.

Yes, there are people who only go to the games for the play on the floor. There are also people who enjoy games when we lose as long as we play hard. The "problem", of course, is that when you play hard you sometimes win. Trying to say that you sacrifice chances to win - meaning you pretty much sacrifice playing hard - turns those people off. They don't come back until something actively "turns them on" again.

Better to give them a bright spot in their personal experience so they'll jump on the bandwagon that much sooner.

That's not going to work with most of the folks on PD, I get that. But the vast majority of fans who come to an occasional game just don't think the same way.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Det and Phi each won tonight. Det win gives them 22 wins and Phi gives them 23. Also Washington is currently ahead of Boston in the fourth quarter. A win would give them 22 also.

WAS is just barely hanging on w/ 27 seconds left. Come on, Wizards!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Only if it is one of the Hype players, not just one of the top picks. Otherwise, they'll wait t6o see what happens first.

Yes, there are people who only go to the games for the play on the floor. There are also people who enjoy games when we lose as long as we play hard. The "problem", of course, is that when you play hard you sometimes win. Trying to say that you sacrifice chances to win - meaning you pretty much sacrifice playing hard - turns those people off. They don't come back until something actively "turns them on" again.

Better to give them a bright spot in their personal experience so they'll jump on the bandwagon that much sooner.

That's not going to work with most of the folks on PD, I get that. But the vast majority of fans who come to an occasional game just don't think the same way.
    Exactly. The season ticket holders are just a tool. Not "the tool".

In all seriousness, that statement holds ground. The causual fans need to have the best experience possible, because of that they could become season ticket holders themselves.

Pardon me for my examples for the following. Think of McDonalds as going to a movie, or maybe another local sporting event.

It's like picking a fast food restaraunt. Alright, you're in the mood for a burger today, so where are you going to go? Everything in your face suggests McDonalds. Why? Because they have a long history and reputation of being the best fast food restaraunt. Advertising, etc.

You try something else. You go with Sonic Drive-Thru. Oh, wow. Their burgers are good, comparable to McDonalds...maybe better and they have other alternatives for when you don't want a burger. Plus they have tots! Delicious tater-tots! OMFG TOTS!

So, you liked what you had at Sonic. You decide to go back next week for your burger, passing up McDonalds.

Just like the product at Sonic, the quality of basketball has to be great. You have to prove why your money should be spent there. It's gotta be great for those who are unfamiliar with the product, otherwise they won't come back. Unless there are coupons.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 03-07-2010 at 11:43 PM.

BOS up 2 w/ 6 seconds left. Damn.

2 out of 4 isn't bad, SAC lost too. We can root for GS, NY and Min tonight.

NY won.