Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Tank Update 3/4/10

Default Pacers Tank Update 3/4/10

Pacers are all alone in the standings with the 4th worst record in the NBA after a shocking loss to Portland last night and a huge win by the Kings over Houston.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers Tank Update 3/4/10

Shocking loss to Portland? I assume you are being sarcastic

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I was unable (did not want to) watch the game last night, so I checked the box score this morning. I cannot believe that Danny was the only one in double figures. I knew we would get beat, but man, we got smoked. It is very obvious now that no one really cares and JOB has competely lost the team. If Bird cannot see this and doesn't do something about it (New Coach), then I lay the blame completely on Larry. Actually, I already blame him. JOB has made enough comments in the press and made enough stupid decisions on the court, that if Larry retains him next year, he is just as big as a fool. It is one thing to have average to below-average players...it is another to have an incompetent coach...and still another to have a clueless front office. I cannot believe, in the "land of basketball", we have all three. I have ZERO confidence that Larry will play this "3-yr plan" correctly and deliver us a playoff team. I actually think we will screw up the draft, retain JOB, let our expirings expire, and then try and re-sign most of them at some sort of discount. There will be no major free agents. There will be no trades for bigtime players. I am counting the hours until we hear the trade demands coming from Granger. Welcome back to the 80's! I HATE to be pessimistic as I am being, but I have seen nothing from the FO that would lead me to believe anything different. I am almost to the point where I agree with some other poster on some other thread, that JOB and the FO are trying to p***-off the fanbase, in anticipation of a move. Kinda like wanting to break up with your GF, but you don't have the cajones, so you p*** her off until she breaks up with you. Again, sorry for the pessimism.
    Last edited by mildlysane; 03-04-2010 at 09:41 AM. Reason: oops-never used that word here, so I didn't know it would be censored...sorry.

It is still too early several teams are around 20-22 wins. I do not root for the Pacers to lose I have accepted the fact they are losers. I think we finish the season with 26 wins.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It appears the Pistons have indeed given up on trying to fix this season as well. And they're only 1 game better than Indiana at this point.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shocking loss to Portland? I assume you are being sarcastic
    Using green font to indicate sarcasm defeats the very purpose of sarcasm.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to maragin For This Useful Post:

Yes, I was being sarcastic.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We're staying on the Warriors' heels for the third spot -- 2.5 games back.

The third spot has a 31.3% chance of winning a top-two pick. Of course it also has a 53.1% chance of dropping out of the top-three altogether, but let's not think such dirty thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    Using green font to indicate sarcasm defeats the very purpose of sarcasm.
    I agree, I don't like using green font and I think I'm usually pretty good at knowing what is sarcasm and what isn't. But I wasn't sure this time. maybe it was too early in the morning. My fault.

I think 4th is the best we can do. The Warriors are playing 8 guys they called up for the CBA or I guess it is the D league.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

I think we'll pick around 8th.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Looking at the schedule the pacers certainly have a few very winnable home games.
    Sixers
    Pistons
    Wizards
    Kings - although they have played well recently
    Knicks
    Nets

Road games they have Pistons and wizards - that is it - they might win one of those two, maybe

I'm just starting to pay some attention to these type things.

But if the pacers end with the 4th worsst record in the NBA, what are the chances they pick anything lower than 4th. Less than 15%???

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I think we'll pick around 8th.
    Yikes, a wasted season wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    You know though, in every single draft there is a player who eventually turns into a star player who is taken at 8 or later.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    As I've said, basing your entire hopes on a game of chance, which is what the stupid draft lottery is, gets you nothing but disappointment.

At best we'll draft where we finish, but luck doesn't run that way for this team.

As a side comment, it seems like there's a lot of people who will never be happy since the only two places out of 30 that make anyone happy are a championship or winning a ping-pong-ball lottery. That makes for 28 teams every year with fans who aren't just disappointed their team didn't do better, they are angry. Some people need to get a reality check.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Hmm, so we actually have a shot at a top player in this draft. I didn't think this team would be this bad, but it's possible that a lot of these guys don't care at this point. I think JOB lost this team long ago. I'd really love to see Evan Turner in a Pacer's uniform, but coming to Indiana may curse his back. We've had horrible luck with injuries.

This is a rare year in which I'm pretty excited about or 2nd round pick. Some really solid players could slide to us.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well I will have to take something positive from this. My stance is still firm on not advocating tanking, as well as encouraging or getting excited for losses.

I will however note that the positives if the team continues it's downward spiral are as follows:

• Albeit as little playing time that Hibbert has been "awarded", I am pleased with his progress towards being an NBA center.
    • The same goes for AJ, he has shown that he is capable of running the floor, he just needs more PT.
    • Danny is still capable of being "the guy" for this team. He just needs to regain that consistency.
    • We are all but guaranteed a top-10 draft pick this summer.
    • With every game coming to a close, we are one day closer to the summer of 2011.

It's a shame that this season turned into what it did. But I wish there were more positives going into this summer. I share the same sort of pessimism that Bill has about us landing that coveted top-3 pick, but part of me will just tell myself it is possible.

I'm okay with really sucking to be good or being really good, so it was the 12-14 picks that were the killer. You'd still rather have more options at #2 in the draft than #8. Mainly, being in a position where you don't see much hope on the horizon or at least in the pacers case, was what was the rub.

In general, I agree with you. The Colts this year are a prime example of this thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacer View Post
    This is a rare year in which I'm pretty excited about or 2nd round pick. Some really solid players could slide to us.

I think you have a chance to get a guy at 34 this year who will be a rotation player next year with the structure of this team.

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    I have ZERO confidence that Larry will play this "3-yr plan" correctly and deliver us a playoff team.
    Who's to judge if the 3 year plan is played correctly?

As I understand it the front office's plan was to build the core until the big contracts expire. Then make trades and pick up free agents. The've been doing that.

The principle core being Granger, Hibbert, Rush, Hansbrough, and now Price. I think Solo and Roberts are tryouts for the core.

Trading Rush to Charlotte for two other young guys would have been a good way to increase the core. Whether that would have been the right way to go remains to be seen.

Now, my question is how can we as fans judge whether the three year plan is played correctly? We really can't.

Sure we can judge whether Rush & Ford for Henderson, Augustin, and Nazr would have been a good trade, but not right away.

However we lack one piece of vital information on judging the plan. (Which won't stop people) We won't know what players are in play as to trades unless a trade is made, and if you ask me who we pick up with the expirings is the key to the plan. They won't all be free agents.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    However we lack one piece of vital information on judging the plan. (Which won't stop people) We won't know what players are in play as to trades unless a trade is made, and if you ask me who we pick up with the expirings is the key to the plan. They won't all be free agents.
    Silly Will. Of course we know. We know that whatever would have been most advantageous to the Pacers was in play and the dummies in the FO turned it down. Or it could be that whatever the minimum exchange might have been was in play and we should have taken it no matter what it was. After all, any trade today is great until the player traded turns out to be better than what we got, in which case we should have known to hold out for more.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Can someone remind me again what the Pacers have to lose by tanking? Even if you think a top 5 pick is a reach, isn't a #8 pick preferable to a #13?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    It appears the Pistons have indeed given up on trying to fix this season as well. And they're only 1 game better than Indiana at this point.

This is exactly what so many posters miss!

Posters are acting like an upset girl that's out in the middle of nowhere with their boyfriend. They get mad at him and instead of telling him to take them home they demand that he stop the car so they can get out right then. It's stupid to get out then and everyone knows it.

Just as it would be stupid to fix the team now.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-04-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Silly Will. [/QUOTE]

Not the first time I've been called that! Fact is I've been called that a lot. Kind of proud of it! (giggle, giggle, snort)

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Silly Will. Of course we know. We know that whatever would have been most advantageous to the Pacers was in play and the dummies in the FO turned it down. Or it could be that whatever the minimum exchange might have been was in play and we should have taken it no matter what it was. After all, any trade today is great until the player traded turns out to be better than what we got, in which case we should have known to hold out for more.
    I hear you! Or should I say I read you.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-04-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mildlysane View Post
    I was unable (did not want to) watch the game last night, so I checked the box score this morning. I cannot believe that Danny was the only one in double figures. I knew we would get beat, but man, we got smoked. It is very obvious now that no one really cares and JOB has competely lost the team. If Bird cannot see this and doesn't do something about it (New Coach), then I lay the blame completely on Larry. Actually, I already blame him. JOB has made enough comments in the press and made enough stupid decisions on the court, that if Larry retains him next year, he is just as big as a fool. It is one thing to have average to below-average players...it is another to have an incompetent coach...and still another to have a clueless front office. I cannot believe, in the "land of basketball", we have all three. I have ZERO confidence that Larry will play this "3-yr plan" correctly and deliver us a playoff team. I actually think we will screw up the draft, retain JOB, let our expirings expire, and then try and re-sign most of them at some sort of discount. There will be no major free agents. There will be no trades for bigtime players. I am counting the hours until we hear the trade demands coming from Granger. Welcome back to the 80's! I HATE to be pessimistic as I am being, but I have seen nothing from the FO that would lead me to believe anything different. I am almost to the point where I agree with some other poster on some other thread, that JOB and the FO are trying to p***-off the fanbase, in anticipation of a move. Kinda like wanting to break up with your GF, but you don't have the cajones, so you p*** her off until she breaks up with you. Again, sorry for the pessimism.
    I'll use the argument I've been using in that if Bird really has a "3 yr plan" he's executing, and the current state of our team and what we could/could not get for our contracts...he would be doing exactly what he is now. Mike's and Troy's expiring contracts were always going to bring more trade value than their services, even prior to Mike's injury last year when they were both playing very well and beating people's expectations for them. Draft-wise I'll say again, Tyler, Rush, and Hibbert continue to look like solid picks considering the players that were chosen after them. One thing I am not happy about is O'Brien having received an extension that will probably have him here one more year (the Simons wouldn't allow the FO to fire Obie and have to pay a second HC in a year where we still won't be competitive), I'd rather we got our coach of the future next year so he can be in place to guide the young future of this team.

But yeah, in short, Bird really hasn't done anything yet except get the most from our draft slots and do a lot of waiting. Which is all that can and should be done at this stage.

I'll go on record to say if Obrien is the coach next year, I'll never post on here again....under my current name.