Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Pacers not going to be a big money player?

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=809

Omar in Evansville, Indiana:
    When will the pacers finally make the playoffs? And who do you think from this free agency class could they pick up?

Steve Kyler:
    Not much... the Pacers window is 2011... but at the same time keep in mind Indiana is not going to be a big money player... they are one of the teams that's struggling financially.Player 2009-10 2010-11 2011-12
    Troy Murphy $11,047,619 $11,968,254
    Danny Granger $9,930,500 $10,973,202 $12,015,904
    Mike Dunleavy $9,780,992 $10,561,984
    T.J. Ford $8,775,000 $8,775,000
    Jeff Foster $6,007,500 $6,655,000
    Jamaal Tinsley* $5,100,000 $5,700,000
    Earl Watson $2,800,000
    Dahntay Jones $2,500,000 $2,500,000 $2,700,000
    Brandon Rush $1,934,160 $2,069,040 $2,956,658
    Tyler Hansbrough $1,859,160 $1,998,600 $2,956,658
    Travis Diener* $1,740,000
    Solomon Jones $1,620,000 $1,500,000
    Roy Hibbert $1,575,360 $1,685,280 $2,588,590
    Luther Head $884,881
    Josh McRoberts $825,497 $885,120
    A.J. Price $457,588 $762,195 $884,293
    TOTAL $66,838,257 $66,033,675 $23,283,485

So all we are going to do is clear cap space have abottom low payroll and not spend money?

I have read this guys work and he is very accurate and knowledgable

This is really sad, we could be looking at the end of the "Indiana" Pacers
    If they are going to sell, it makes sense to have as little payroll as possible
    Sittin on top of the world!

Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

This isn't a question. Bird has already said that the offseason's top priority will be getting under the luxury tax.

We made the decision not to pick up a free agent this summer when we decided not to trade Troy for an expiring contract and a pick.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I dont think he has said much. He has basically stated that that Indiana is not going to be a big money player and showed their payroll situation for the next 3 years. If he has looked at the past and has determined that the Pacers have never spent that kind of money on a player, I think he is indirectly wrong. I read somewhere on this board, that the Pacers have never had that kind of money before to spend on players, so its hard to evaluate what they will do or have done with this kind of money because they havent had such a situation (once again, this is what Ive read on this board)

I dont think bring a small market team will truly effect free agents coming to a city. If you look at the Thunder, they are a small market team but Im sure FAs would love to play alongside KD and Westbrook. Even if you look at the old Bucks with KG, Cassel and Spreewell; though they were a small market team, because they had a winning situation, they were able to get FA to sign with them

...just my 2 cents
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think he has said much.
    By "he" do you mean the author or Bird?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Well, a big determining factor will be the new CBA and when will that be in effect. It might be smart business to wait for the new CBA to be in force and then have a ton of money for Free Agents at the lower scale/length of contract. I think it's possible teams that hitch their wagon to big long contracts prior to the new rules will be at a distinct disadvantage a couple of years into the new rules.

For example, not everyone will sign D Wade, Lebron, or Bosh this summer, so they might possibly reach and sign a second tier guy for the max 6 years under the current rules at max numbers. I don't know a good number to use for max dollars, but lets say 6 years starting at 12 million and ending at 17 million for Rudy Gay or Joe Johnson (87 million total).

Post new rules/CBA, maybe the max contract starts at 9 million and only lasts 4 years (36 million). So those same type contracts for those same type players would be significantly discounted potentially.

I'm not sure if the new CBA will be as drastic as my example, but I think there will be a definite difference in what your dollar can buy.

So ya, I guess if you can't get your money's worth, you should wait for the new CBA and see what happens. There, at the very least, won't be an increase for salaries.

Disclaimer: for those in the know, please correct anything that looks off or is too exaggerated.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This isn't a question. Bird has already said that the offseason's top priority will be getting under the luxury tax.

We made the decision not to pick up a free agent this summer when we decided not to trade Troy for an expiring contract and a pick.
    He's talking about 2011.

I think the part of the quote that stood out to me was that after the contracts fall off at the end of 2011, that we wont spend money on free agents

Which could indicate a serious financial problem, or positioning the team to relocate

All speculation of course , but one wonders

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    He's talking about 2011.
    No, he's not. I'll go find the quote, but it was pretty clear that he was talking about this summer.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

No, he's not. I'll go find the quote, but it was pretty clear that he was talking about this summer.
    the Pacers window is 2011... but at the same time keep in mind Indiana is not going to be a big money player... they are one of the teams that's struggling financially.
    Seems pretty clear to me.

Regardless, I think this guy is incorrect, and given that it's just a Hoopsworld guy, I don't worry about him knowing something I don't.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Seems pretty clear to me.

Regardless, I think this guy is incorrect, and given that it's just a Hoopsworld guy, I don't worry about him knowing something I don't.

He was talking about the 2011 season

He's talking about 2011.
    No.

http://my.nba.com/cms/110948/no_deal...t_pass_quietly

Quote Originally Posted by Bird
    "We don't know where the tax is going to be next year or the cap but we've got five guys that are going to be in the last year of their deals," said Bird. "Obviously our first goal is to get under the tax and maybe use some guys for assets. There's going to be a lot of teams out there that want one-year guys.
    So, there you go. Top priority is to get under the tax.

And we made that decision the moment we decided to demand Hickson AND two picks AND cap relief for Murphy.
    Last edited by Anthem; 03-03-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

I don't see your point, Anthem. Did you think I was trying to say Larry Bird was worried about the 2011 luxury tax? Because that wasn't what I was trying to say at all.

I'm referring to the Hoopsworld guy saying that in summer 2011 we won't spend our money.

By "he" do you mean the author or Bird?
    as in Steve Kyler
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

I'm referring to the Hoopsworld guy saying that in summer 2011 we won't spend our money.
    Well, maybe it's a problem of writing, but if you answer "And who do you think from this free agency class could they pick up?" with "Indiana is not going to be a big money player" then it sure seems like the writer's talking about this coming summer.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    as in Steve Kyler
    Then I'm with ya.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

This is one of those things that I hate that really need clarifying.

When the author says 2011....I think that he is referring to this upcoming season......the 2010-2011 season....specifically the season that starts at the end of October 2010 ( as in 7-8 long months from now ). I do not think that he's referring to the season of 2011-2012.....as in 1.5 years from now in October 2011.

Why he says it this way maybe a type-o...or IMHO worded poorly.

The Salaries that he mentions obviously refers to this summer since the Big4 Contracts are still on the books.....which will still be on the books for the 2010-2011 season when the Pacers is in financial troubles with guaranteed $$$ set to about $66 mil........but won't be on the books in the 2011-2012 season when the amount of guaranteed $$$ is estimated to be at $23.28 mil.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Well, maybe it's a problem of writing, but if you answer "And who do you think from this free agency class could they pick up?" with "Indiana is not going to be a big money player" then it sure seems like the writer's talking about this coming summer.
    I think the answer to 'this offseason' was, "Not much...the Pacers window is 2011." Then, in regards to 2011, he adds, "but at the same time keep in mind Indiana is not going to be a big money player... they are one of the teams that's struggling financially."

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

And we made that decision the moment we decided to demand Hickson AND two picks AND cap relief for Murphy
    You know I never understood why the picks would be important

Unless LeBron leaves , the picks will be at the bottom of the first round

We have a plethora of "role players"

What we need USUALLY is not found in the bottom of the first round

So to me, the draft picks were of little importance

Mood

90's, do you mind fixing your quote of me? Instead of ending it with {/quote} (using [ ] instead of { }) , you put the last line in bold and left it hanging without the closing /quote tag.

The reason that matters is aside from making it harder to read, if someone turns around and quotes your post, it's all going to be messed up (with the wrong names being assigned to the wrong quotes, and one of them will still be without a closing tag which will make it harder to read).

Thanks

90's, do you mind fixing your quote of me? Instead of ending it with {/quote} (using [ ] instead of { }) , you put the last line in bold and left it hanging without the closing /quote tag.

The reason that matters is aside from making it harder to read, if someone turns around and quotes your post, it's all going to be messed up (with the wrong names being assigned to the wrong quotes, and one of them will still be without a closing tag which will make it harder to read).

Thanks
    No problem at all my friend, will do

I don't see your point, Anthem. Did you think I was trying to say Larry Bird was worried about the 2011 luxury tax? Because that wasn't what I was trying to say at all.

Exactly

The thing that I took form the article was that even when we have all this cap relief, we still will not spend as the franchise is losing money

If that was what he meant , then I am extreemly worried that we wil either have :

A weak team with very little talent
    or

The team is trying to have very little in salary committments, so it is more attractive for future buyers

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    I think the answer to 'this offseason' was, "Not much...the Pacers window is 2011." Then, in regards to 2011, he adds, "but at the same time keep in mind Indiana is not going to be a big money player... they are one of the teams that's struggling financially."
    Hmm. That's still not what I'm getting out of it.

I think we can all agree that it's poorly written. Does that work for everyone?

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Did I miss something? Who offered us an expiring and a pick for Murphy?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    I know... the only offers that came to, sounded like they had a junk contracts tied onto them... which would make the trade pointless...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    Cleveland. But the Pacers held out for Hickson and TWO picks. Craziness.

Enjoy your time at PD!