Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,598

    Default Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=809

    Omar in Evansville, Indiana:
    When will the pacers finally make the playoffs? And who do you think from this free agency class could they pick up?

    Steve Kyler:
    Not much... the Pacers window is 2011... but at the same time keep in mind Indiana is not going to be a big money player... they are one of the teams that's struggling financially.Player 2009-10 2010-11 2011-12
    Troy Murphy $11,047,619 $11,968,254
    Danny Granger $9,930,500 $10,973,202 $12,015,904
    Mike Dunleavy $9,780,992 $10,561,984
    T.J. Ford $8,775,000 $8,775,000
    Jeff Foster $6,007,500 $6,655,000
    Jamaal Tinsley* $5,100,000 $5,700,000
    Earl Watson $2,800,000
    Dahntay Jones $2,500,000 $2,500,000 $2,700,000
    Brandon Rush $1,934,160 $2,069,040 $2,956,658
    Tyler Hansbrough $1,859,160 $1,998,600 $2,956,658
    Travis Diener* $1,740,000
    Solomon Jones $1,620,000 $1,500,000
    Roy Hibbert $1,575,360 $1,685,280 $2,588,590
    Luther Head $884,881
    Josh McRoberts $825,497 $885,120
    A.J. Price $457,588 $762,195 $884,293
    TOTAL $66,838,257 $66,033,675 $23,283,485


    So all we are going to do is clear cap space have abottom low payroll and not spend money?

    I have read this guys work and he is very accurate and knowledgable

    This is really sad, we could be looking at the end of the "Indiana" Pacers
    If they are going to sell, it makes sense to have as little payroll as possible
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. #2
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    This isn't a question. Bird has already said that the offseason's top priority will be getting under the luxury tax.

    We made the decision not to pick up a free agent this summer when we decided not to trade Troy for an expiring contract and a pick.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  3. #3
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,773

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    I dont think he has said much. He has basically stated that that Indiana is not going to be a big money player and showed their payroll situation for the next 3 years. If he has looked at the past and has determined that the Pacers have never spent that kind of money on a player, I think he is indirectly wrong. I read somewhere on this board, that the Pacers have never had that kind of money before to spend on players, so its hard to evaluate what they will do or have done with this kind of money because they havent had such a situation (once again, this is what Ive read on this board)

    I dont think bring a small market team will truly effect free agents coming to a city. If you look at the Thunder, they are a small market team but Im sure FAs would love to play alongside KD and Westbrook. Even if you look at the old Bucks with KG, Cassel and Spreewell; though they were a small market team, because they had a winning situation, they were able to get FA to sign with them

    ...just my 2 cents
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  4. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think he has said much.
    By "he" do you mean the author or Bird?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  5. #5
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,431

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Well, a big determining factor will be the new CBA and when will that be in effect. It might be smart business to wait for the new CBA to be in force and then have a ton of money for Free Agents at the lower scale/length of contract. I think it's possible teams that hitch their wagon to big long contracts prior to the new rules will be at a distinct disadvantage a couple of years into the new rules.

    For example, not everyone will sign D Wade, Lebron, or Bosh this summer, so they might possibly reach and sign a second tier guy for the max 6 years under the current rules at max numbers. I don't know a good number to use for max dollars, but lets say 6 years starting at 12 million and ending at 17 million for Rudy Gay or Joe Johnson (87 million total).

    Post new rules/CBA, maybe the max contract starts at 9 million and only lasts 4 years (36 million). So those same type contracts for those same type players would be significantly discounted potentially.

    I'm not sure if the new CBA will be as drastic as my example, but I think there will be a definite difference in what your dollar can buy.

    So ya, I guess if you can't get your money's worth, you should wait for the new CBA and see what happens. There, at the very least, won't be an increase for salaries.

    Disclaimer: for those in the know, please correct anything that looks off or is too exaggerated.

  6. #6
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This isn't a question. Bird has already said that the offseason's top priority will be getting under the luxury tax.

    We made the decision not to pick up a free agent this summer when we decided not to trade Troy for an expiring contract and a pick.
    He's talking about 2011.

  7. #7
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,598

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    I think the part of the quote that stood out to me was that after the contracts fall off at the end of 2011, that we wont spend money on free agents

    Which could indicate a serious financial problem, or positioning the team to relocate

    All speculation of course , but one wonders
    Sittin on top of the world!

  8. #8
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's talking about 2011.
    No, he's not. I'll go find the quote, but it was pretty clear that he was talking about this summer.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  9. #9
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, he's not. I'll go find the quote, but it was pretty clear that he was talking about this summer.
    the Pacers window is 2011... but at the same time keep in mind Indiana is not going to be a big money player... they are one of the teams that's struggling financially.
    Seems pretty clear to me.

    Regardless, I think this guy is incorrect, and given that it's just a Hoopsworld guy, I don't worry about him knowing something I don't.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  11. #10
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,598

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems pretty clear to me.

    Regardless, I think this guy is incorrect, and given that it's just a Hoopsworld guy, I don't worry about him knowing something I don't.

    He was talking about the 2011 season
    Sittin on top of the world!

  12. #11
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's talking about 2011.
    No.

    http://my.nba.com/cms/110948/no_deal...t_pass_quietly

    Quote Originally Posted by Bird
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "We don't know where the tax is going to be next year or the cap but we've got five guys that are going to be in the last year of their deals," said Bird. "Obviously our first goal is to get under the tax and maybe use some guys for assets. There's going to be a lot of teams out there that want one-year guys.
    So, there you go. Top priority is to get under the tax.

    And we made that decision the moment we decided to demand Hickson AND two picks AND cap relief for Murphy.
    Last edited by Anthem; 03-03-2010 at 04:45 PM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  13. #12
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    I don't see your point, Anthem. Did you think I was trying to say Larry Bird was worried about the 2011 luxury tax? Because that wasn't what I was trying to say at all.

    I'm referring to the Hoopsworld guy saying that in summer 2011 we won't spend our money.

  14. #13
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,773

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    By "he" do you mean the author or Bird?
    as in Steve Kyler
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  15. #14
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm referring to the Hoopsworld guy saying that in summer 2011 we won't spend our money.
    Well, maybe it's a problem of writing, but if you answer "And who do you think from this free agency class could they pick up?" with "Indiana is not going to be a big money player" then it sure seems like the writer's talking about this coming summer.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  16. #15
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    as in Steve Kyler
    Then I'm with ya.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  17. #16
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,266

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    This is one of those things that I hate that really need clarifying.

    When the author says 2011....I think that he is referring to this upcoming season......the 2010-2011 season....specifically the season that starts at the end of October 2010 ( as in 7-8 long months from now ). I do not think that he's referring to the season of 2011-2012.....as in 1.5 years from now in October 2011.

    Why he says it this way maybe a type-o...or IMHO worded poorly.

    The Salaries that he mentions obviously refers to this summer since the Big4 Contracts are still on the books.....which will still be on the books for the 2010-2011 season when the Pacers is in financial troubles with guaranteed $$$ set to about $66 mil........but won't be on the books in the 2011-2012 season when the amount of guaranteed $$$ is estimated to be at $23.28 mil.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  18. #17
    Boom Baby! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,730

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, maybe it's a problem of writing, but if you answer "And who do you think from this free agency class could they pick up?" with "Indiana is not going to be a big money player" then it sure seems like the writer's talking about this coming summer.
    I think the answer to 'this offseason' was, "Not much...the Pacers window is 2011." Then, in regards to 2011, he adds, "but at the same time keep in mind Indiana is not going to be a big money player... they are one of the teams that's struggling financially."

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:


  20. #18
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,598

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    And we made that decision the moment we decided to demand Hickson AND two picks AND cap relief for Murphy
    You know I never understood why the picks would be important

    Unless LeBron leaves , the picks will be at the bottom of the first round


    We have a plethora of "role players"


    What we need USUALLY is not found in the bottom of the first round

    So to me, the draft picks were of little importance
    Sittin on top of the world!

  21. #19
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    90's, do you mind fixing your quote of me? Instead of ending it with {/quote} (using [ ] instead of { }) , you put the last line in bold and left it hanging without the closing /quote tag.

    The reason that matters is aside from making it harder to read, if someone turns around and quotes your post, it's all going to be messed up (with the wrong names being assigned to the wrong quotes, and one of them will still be without a closing tag which will make it harder to read).

    Thanks

  22. #20
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,598

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    90's, do you mind fixing your quote of me? Instead of ending it with {/quote} (using [ ] instead of { }) , you put the last line in bold and left it hanging without the closing /quote tag.

    The reason that matters is aside from making it harder to read, if someone turns around and quotes your post, it's all going to be messed up (with the wrong names being assigned to the wrong quotes, and one of them will still be without a closing tag which will make it harder to read).

    Thanks
    No problem at all my friend, will do
    Sittin on top of the world!

  23. #21
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,598

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see your point, Anthem. Did you think I was trying to say Larry Bird was worried about the 2011 luxury tax? Because that wasn't what I was trying to say at all.

    I'm referring to the Hoopsworld guy saying that in summer 2011 we won't spend our money.
    Exactly

    The thing that I took form the article was that even when we have all this cap relief, we still will not spend as the franchise is losing money

    If that was what he meant , then I am extreemly worried that we wil either have :

    A weak team with very little talent
    or

    The team is trying to have very little in salary committments, so it is more attractive for future buyers
    Sittin on top of the world!

  24. #22
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the answer to 'this offseason' was, "Not much...the Pacers window is 2011." Then, in regards to 2011, he adds, "but at the same time keep in mind Indiana is not going to be a big money player... they are one of the teams that's struggling financially."
    Hmm. That's still not what I'm getting out of it.

    I think we can all agree that it's poorly written. Does that work for everyone?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  25. #23
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    405

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This isn't a question. Bird has already said that the offseason's top priority will be getting under the luxury tax.

    We made the decision not to pick up a free agent this summer when we decided not to trade Troy for an expiring contract and a pick.
    Did I miss something? Who offered us an expiring and a pick for Murphy?

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:


  27. #24
    Smooth tadscout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Greenfield
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,838
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did I miss something? Who offered us an expiring and a pick for Murphy?
    I know... the only offers that came to, sounded like they had a junk contracts tied onto them... which would make the trade pointless...
    "George's athleticism is bananas!" - Marc J. Spears

  28. #25
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Pacers not going to be a big money player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did I miss something? Who offered us an expiring and a pick for Murphy?
    Cleveland. But the Pacers held out for Hickson and TWO picks. Craziness.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

Similar Threads

  1. Tbird analysis: 2009 offseason Big questions, part 2
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 09:55 PM
  2. Ford releases Mock 6.
    By Anthem in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 03:39 PM
  3. IBJ > Pacers' Next Fight? Damage Control
    By ChicagoJ in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 10-10-2006, 03:23 PM
  4. Keeping pace with the Pacers
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 11:58 PM
  5. Game One coverage from the Miami Herald.
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-07-2004, 05:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •