Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 320

Thread: Why make this statement???

  1. #51
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    I almost think all of the Obie stuff is a waste of time. I'd guess he's done, mutually, around the middle of April.

  2. #52

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I tend to agree, stats in a blowout loss are irrelevant. I mean what good are stats if your team loses.

    Should he had made the statement? no. is it a big deal? No. Will Josh ever recover - I would certainly for his sake hope so

    So if Jimmy does some aspect/aspects of good coaching in a loss, that means his coaching was irrelevant too, right?

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly.

    The fans (and announcers) were thrilled with Brandon's effort, and he was pretty solid going the other way too (with a couple of duds). This becomes "yeah, he did okay".

    That doesn't counter "he's just wandering through life, who knows what you'll get from him" right before Rush went on a nasty scoring binge which made him look dumb that time too.


    I've said just what Anthem is saying, JOB seems open antagonistic about the younger players, he seems annoyed when they have even marginal success that might warrant playing them a bit more.
    It's gotta be annoying. It makes him like a complete idiot for not playing them in the first place, so why wouldn't he be annoyed?

  4. #54
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if Jimmy does some aspect/aspects of good coaching in a loss, that means his coaching was irrelevant too, right?
    Only if the 3'pt attempts are below 30.
    If so, Yes. If not, No - thats just poor talent.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

  5. #55
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if Jimmy does some aspect/aspects of good coaching in a loss, that means his coaching was irrelevant too, right?
    Yes

  6. #56
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Real kicker to JOB's comment is that if it was a winning effort, then McRoberts wouldn't have been in the game, so it is an impossible request. JOB is a turd of a coach.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes
    Sometimes I think that you don't even know what you're arguing about.

    One of the biggest problems with this team is that in a league of irrelevant coaches, JOB has put himself firmly in the middle of the spotlight. His terrible decision making is anything but irrelevant at this point.

  8. #58

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Exactly.

    The fans (and announcers) were thrilled with Brandon's effort, and he was pretty solid going the other way too (with a couple of duds). This becomes "yeah, he did okay".

    That doesn't counter "he's just wandering through life, who knows what you'll get from him" right before Rush went on a nasty scoring binge which made him look dumb that time too.


    I've said just what Anthem is saying, JOB seems open antagonistic about the younger players, he seems annoyed when they have even marginal success that might warrant playing them a bit more.
    Yea...

    Personally, I think he dislikes them for two reasons.
    1. It goes against one of his main thoughts, vets are always better.
    2. The younger guys want to play traditional basketball, and whenever they do, tend to be pretty successful at it. That's bad.

    I mean seriously, we've got Rush who is "too weak to handle getting pulled" so we make sure to give him his minutes. Let's make that clear, he doesn't earn his minutes, JOB is just afraid of Rush's emotional inability to handle not getting minutes. Let's ignore the defense he played on Bryant last night.

    McBob..um..yea..JOB's been chosing to play a SG at that position, instead of him, for quite some time now. So he goes, and scores his career high against the best front court in the league. That's irrelevant right He complimented a few other players (including Rush, to be fair) but couldn't say anything nice about McBob.

    Price...outplays the vets in practice. Out plays the vets in games, when he gets to play...apparently he can't get a full quarter in a blowout loss anymore. ...good. Interestingly about Price though, JOB has never said anything negative about him. He just gets benched.

    Hibbert..steadily losing minutes, lost starting spot up until this game. Tends to get scapegoated by JOB.

    Yea, I'd say he doesn't like the kids.

  9. #59
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    so you think stats in a blowout loss are important?
    As Putty says, yes they are. At least in as much context as any other game situation.

    If Josh sits the 2nd half and the Pacers win by 10 as Kobe goes 1-20 for the half, does that physically alter what Josh did in the first half?

    No it doesn't. The same physical things moved in space and time the exact same way regardless of future actions.

    Not only that, but in this case Josh put up numbers in a NECK AND NECK GAME, not a blowout. The blowout came later when DG and Watson kept turning the ball over and Roy and Troy got in foul trouble, not to mention Josh looking gassed after not being kept in game shape with regular touches of minutes up till now.

    In fact Josh running out of gas was specifically created by JOB. He has needed more frontline depth all year but instead chooses to go small and vet rather than keep things prepared.

    The instant Tyler hit the IR Josh should have taken over his minutes. That way he's more up to the full game challenge vs an elite front line.


    And don't even get me started on him driving and scoring directly against Bynum with a layup. That's not a garbage time play.


    Buck, do you want to continue to actively argue that the team doesn't have some need for a big who can drive and score against Bynum straight up?

    This is what JOB is saying. Rather than saying "well at least that was a positive sign" he's saying "so what, we lost" as if he's STILL IN THE PLAYOFF HUNT.

    In fact now that I think of it, just what does this statement say about JOB's CURRENT GOAL? Is it really to beat the Lakers in LA and if you don't it's failure?

    Is that in any way realistic OR SMART? No, it's not. Not even close. A smart coach would already be working up his future roster while he can, rather than continuing to put off development that needs to be done now in order to have some impact tomorrow.

    Right now I'd say that the Pacers are the ONLY TEAM IN ALL PROFESSIONAL SPORTS that aren't actively developing their youth once faced with no real shot of winning in their current season. MLB teams call up guys and sit vets down, NFL teams bring the rookies in to start once it's over.

    Even freaking Memphis sent Thabeet to the D-League. Why? They want him to get PT that they can't give him right now. They want to DEVELOP HIM NOW, not later.

    It's not tanking, it's insanity.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Real kicker to JOB's comment is that if it was a winning effort, then McRoberts wouldn't have been in the game, so it is an impossible request. JOB is a turd of a coach.
    The game was not out of question when he was putting up his numbers. If anything, McRoberts kept it close when it was ready to be put out of reach early.

    He didn't get his numbers in garbage time...although I still maintain every minute remaining in this season is garbage time, and the rotation needs to reflect that.

  11. #61
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    How could you not like this? Look at Kobe's mouf.


  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  13. #62
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,610

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so you think stats in a blowout loss are important?
    I dont think Josh McRoberts is important (basketball player)

    except as a person
    Sittin on top of the world!

  14. #63

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The game was not out of question when he was putting up his numbers. If anything, McRoberts kept it close when it was ready to be put out of reach early.

    He didn't get his numbers in garbage time...although I still maintain every minute remaining in this season is garbage time, and the rotation needs to reflect that.
    to be fair, any normal coach would put the lineup of Watson/Ford/Head/Dun/Troy in garbage time. Our coach just happens to think that's a winning rotation..

  15. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    It's on my mind, at the moment, because we're currently discussing motivation in my sports psych class...

    can there possibly be a worse motivator for a team, than JOB?

  16. #65
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,299

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Mike Wells clearly has noticed.


    http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi..._doesnt_w.html


    O'Brien doesn't want to praise McRoberts
    Posted by Mike Wells

    * Read Comments (10)

    LOS ANGELES - It was the perfect pass. All Jim O'Brien had to do was grab it and either lay it in or throw down the dunk.

    What does O'Brien do instead?

    He goes on the defensive.

    Josh McRoberts was the lone bright spot for the Pacers during their 23-point beat down at the hands of the Lakers on Tuesday. He had a career-high 15 points in 23 minutes off the bench.

    He was active on both ends of the court. He even contested a Kobe Bryant breakaway dunk. He was called for the foul, but he at least attempted to stop Bryant from throwing down the dunk.

    I had one league official tell me that McRoberts could be a rotation player if he worked on his midrange game.

    Talking about McRoberts' play was the last thing O'Brien wanted to do, though.

    "It's irrelevant," O'Brien said. "Try to do it in a winning effort. It's really irrelevant."
    O'Brien ended his postgame interview session after that comment.

    Tuesday was not the first time that O'Brien has shied away from praising McRoberts.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  18. #66
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,276

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    I am more sick of Jim O'Brien than I have been of any other Pacers coach...EVER.

    Not to say that I would want any of those other coaches back, but Jim just grates on my nerves more than any of them.

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  20. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How could you not like this? Look at Kobe's mouf.
    You know what play I liked better than that one, Duke?

    When Kobe had the chance to do the opposite and Josh took a hard foul to send him to the line and not give up an easy bucket. How many other Pacers have the stones for that? Because it hasn't happened much the last couple seasons.

  21. #68
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know what play I liked better than that one, Duke?

    When Kobe had the chance to do the opposite and Josh took a hard foul to send him to the line and not give up an easy bucket. How many other Pacers have the stones for that? Because it hasn't happened much the last couple seasons.
    You mean this one?


  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:


  23. #69

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You know what play I liked better than that one, Duke?

    When Kobe had the chance to do the opposite and Josh took a hard foul to send him to the line and not give up an easy bucket. How many other Pacers have the stones for that? Because it hasn't happened much the last couple seasons.
    Price, Watson and Djones have done it this season..that should say enough...our two PGs and our 6'4 PF

  24. #70

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    I bet the FO office is just closing their eyes and shaking their heads over Jimmy's comment. They'd be better off PR wise to put a gag order on him. For the last qtr of the season just quit having Jimmy talk to the media.

    O'Brien's days of ever being a NBA head coach again are over after he's done here.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  26. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Mike Wells knocked this one out of the park.

  27. #72

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    O'brien is an idiot... and this statement just proves it. He is not happy with his job, is not producing results, and is taking away from the confidence of the younger players. It is time for his removal... The job of any coach, manager, or leader is to motivate and get the best out of your workers/followers. I just don't see Obie going this route. I don't think he should blow sunshine up their rears, but honestly... the kid played his heart out last night and you say that??? Redonk...
    "A winner is someone who recognizes their God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals." - Larry Bird

  28. #73
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    I hope Josh made a clear statement to JOB to use him in the rotation.

    I think Josh surprised the Lakers. They probably didn't even know who he was.

    Hopefully he's brought back as a future PF given the time.

  29. #74
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am more sick of Jim O'Brien than I have been of any other Pacers coach...EVER.

    Not to say that I would want any of those other coaches back, but Jim just grates on my nerves more than any of them.
    Yeah. I try not to pile on the coach, and even tried to defend Zeke as much as possible while he was here. But I've never seen a Pacer coach this bad.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  30. #75
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is HORRIBLE with the kids. Not just neutral, he's a big negative; a negative coach when it comes to developing youth on a team who's only reason for existence at this point is to develop youth for future seasons.
    Yeah, that's where I'm at now. He's not just neutral, he's a negative.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 11:33 AM
  2. I'm stealing this from Ojor "Did O'Brien make an Oops ??"
    By indygeezer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 09:35 AM
  3. Make it so! - from a Kings fan
    By VF21 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 02:45 PM
  4. Finish the statement game
    By Hicks in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 01:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •