Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 320

Thread: Why make this statement???

  1. #1
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,503

    Default Why make this statement???

    “It’s irrelevant. Try to do it in a winning effort so it’s really irrelevant.” – O'Brien on McRoberts' career-high


    Look at face value I get what he is saying, we lost so anyone's stat's are irrelevant.

    But why go out of your way to put down a guy who really tried his best? 9 of his points came in the first quarter when he was trying to keep the team in the game.

    Why is it I just get the feeling that if Danny Granger had a career high or if Troy Murphy got a career high this wouldn't be the statement that was made?

    My thought is that Jim might have gotten a question as to why he wasn't giving Josh more playing time and he took offense.

    Like I said, I understand the statement I just wonder why it had to be made?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  3. #2

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    I wish some reporter would just grill O'brien on his decision making, really.

    No reason to say that, it was most certainly a good effort by McBob. As I said though in another thread, I guess it's better than Jim lying and saying "because of this game I'll get him more minutes" like he lied about AJ and Solo.

  4. #3
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,230

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Regardless of what one thinks of Josh's game, to say something like that about the youngest player on the team who barely plays after he busts his *** and gets his career high is pretty dickish behavior. The guy is a prick.

    Sour grapes because Josh made him look stupid tonight? I mean obviously D. Jones is a much better power forward than Josh.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  5. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  6. #4
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,914

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    In the first quarter, McRoberts pushed the ball up the court himself and took it to the rim. That was stupid. He could've pulled up for a 3!!!

    Of course O'Brien would be disappointed if not pizzed after that...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  7. #5
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,503

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    BTW, my conversation with Wells on twitter has gone as follows

    El_Peckbo @Wells222 Was he saying because of the score or was not happy with Josh's game?

    Wells222 @El_Peckbo don't know cause he ended the interview session by just walking away.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,273

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    He just doesn't like Josh. Everything he's said about him has been negative since the day he got here. There has been no explanation why this is the case but it clearly is.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  10. #7
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    5,183

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Can't say I'm surprised. Jim O'Brien probably wouldn't like me if I didn't have a jumpshot.

  11. #8
    Member Wage's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    405

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    I personally think a lot of the JOB bashing goes a little overboard, but this comment is serious Busch League coaching.

  12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:


  13. #9

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    I can understand the tanking but this? No wonder Rush has no confidence, why would you say that about the person that probably played the hardest for you all night.

    as a side note about the Boy Wonder/ All-Star comments about McBob, can anyone find a couple of posts that put him at any more than a 20-25 minute role player on a winning team, cause I would like to see one.

  14. #10
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I personally think a lot of the JOB bashing goes a little overboard, but this comment is serious Busch League coaching.
    More like a Brush League comment! Which makes me wonder why he said it. Usually he will say something like, "Josh played great, I'll have to find him a spot in the rotation," Then we won't see Josh until we get blown out again.

    My thought is this season is getting to him.

  15. #11
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,689

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    JoB hates this roster, no 2 ways about it and he is still "sick" that he actually has to change his plans, best proven by this quote from JoB from the Dunleavy article:

    "(The passing game) is the game Mike's best suited in," said Coach Jim O'Brien. "We're playing a game Mike's not best suited in because I would say our movement is down, say 40 percent from last year. And it's because of personnel and what the strengths of some guys are but it's certainly not the type of offense we put together with Mike in mind.

    So he hates passing big men that allow US to play inside out, he just doesn't want that, he wants "free flowing do as you please but please please shoot early and often"

    Man's personelle skill are as atrocious as those of his boss, a fine pair we have there
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  16. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    JoB hates this roster, no 2 ways about it and he is still "sick" that he actually has to change his plans, best proven by this quote from JoB from the Dunleavy article:

    "(The passing game) is the game Mike's best suited in," said Coach Jim O'Brien. "We're playing a game Mike's not best suited in because I would say our movement is down, say 40 percent from last year. And it's because of personnel and what the strengths of some guys are but it's certainly not the type of offense we put together with Mike in mind.

    So he hates passing big men that allow US to play inside out, he just doesn't want that, he wants "free flowing do as you please but please please shoot early and often"

    Man's personelle skill are as atrocious as those of his boss, a fine pair we have there
    Reminds me of the time Dunleavy came back to Oakland for the first time in January 2008 when of course he was booed heavily.

    Anyways, after the game in which the Pacers blew a 4th quarter lead and had tons of turnovers, JOB was pretty prickly with the media. He was chippy to say the least. He was well aware that the GS fans really had it in for Dunleavy that night, and he was especially defensive of him that particular night.

    Asked about how he thought Dunleavy did and JOB mentioned proudly that he just missed a triple double by 3 assists, how he was now an integral part of the team and how he "wouldn't trade him for anybody." He spoke very defensively of Dunleavy because he knew that he had a pretty acrimonious history in GS.

    Similarly, he knows he's been questioned a lot about why he hasn't played McRoberts (among others). So he seems equally defensive about his decision not to play him, thus his rather testy response to the question of "Hey, so coach, whatchu' think of that McBobbies guy?"

    Anyhow, the two things that can be deduced: He's in a pretty testy mood after a loss (especially this season) and he's pretty sympathetic to Dunleavy.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:


  19. #13
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,485

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    If Obie acknowledges that McBob had a meaningful good game, then he knows the next question might be, why haven't you been playing him more...and he doesn't have an answer. Easier to deflect the value of McBob having a good game than to have to answer a tough question after, imo.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  21. #14

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:


  23. #15
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,222

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Read it and now I'm going to have to take some time outside out to chill. That was the most minor league, little man syndrome, , I'm taking my toys and going home bull crap that I've ever seen out of a "professional" coach. Really, you couldn't have said we stunk on ice but Josh played well? Really? You couldn't have thanked him for showing up and playing hard? Really? That's really bush and I hope that just lit his "career ended" light.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  24. #16
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,705

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    I tend to agree, stats in a blowout loss are irrelevant. I mean what good are stats if your team loses.

    Should he had made the statement? no. is it a big deal? No. Will Josh ever recover - I would certainly for his sake hope so
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-03-2010 at 08:09 AM.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  26. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I tend to agree
    In an upset of epic proportions...

  27. #18
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,057

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I tend to agree, stats in a blowout loss are irrelevant. I mean what good are stats if your team loses.

    Should he had made the statement? no. is it a big deal? No. Will Josh ever recover - I would certainly for his sake hope so
    As Reagan would say, "There you go again." (Shakes head.)
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  29. #19
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,705

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In an upset of epic proportions...
    so you think stats in a blowout loss are important?

  30. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    West Lafayette, IN
    Age
    28
    Posts
    437

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so you think stats in a blowout loss are important?
    I think the fact that it looked like there was 1 guy out there last night that cared, and that JOB went out of his way to disparage that effort is pretty important.

  31. #21
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    It's a stupid and pointless statement.

    Don't know the context, but for as much as this all sucks for us, magnify it 1000 times for anybody in the locker room.

    but...

    It's a stupid and pointless statement - at best, intemperate.

  32. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:


  33. #22
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,042

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I tend to agree, stats in a blowout loss are irrelevant. I mean what good are stats if your team loses.
    Everyone agrees with that. I know I do. But that isn't what everyone's complaining about.

  34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  35. #23
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,705

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Once again, I guess I'm arguing about something a little different. I am looking at the more general point of what good are stats in a blowout losss and if I were the coach would I get excited about stats in a blowout loss? No. I already said Jim probably should not have said it - doesn't really serve any purpose, although I think it is important for his players to not be concerned about styats when they lose.

    On the specific point as to Josh, I'm sure he'll be fine.

    As is often the case, I am looking at this differently than most of you - from a different perspective.

    An aside, I often will see post game interviews where the interviewer will recite a players stats and ask the player about it and the player will say they are meaningless in a blowout loss.

    I have heard Jim say nice things about Josh
    I have heard him praise Josh, at the beginning of last season Jim often said that Josh is the pacers most athletic big guy and I've heard him say other nice things about him at other times last season and this season
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 03-03-2010 at 08:37 AM.

  36. #24
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,438

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    so you think stats in a blowout loss are important?

    No one has an issue with Jim O'Brien saying that stats in a blowout loss aren't important. In fact, I think most here agree with that notion.

    The issue here is that he virtually went out of his way to belittle the effort of a young player who had one of his better games. There was no need for that at all. Besides, when Josh was getting his stats the game was close. He played a solid role in keeping us in the game early. Would it have really been that hard to give Josh a compliment for playing a good game last night?

    This isn't about what Jim O'Brien thinks about stats, it's about his attitude towards a young player who played pretty hard (and good).

    Is it that big a deal in the grand scheme of things? Of course not. Did McRoberts lose any sleep over it last night? Doubt it. But it was still uncalled for and is worth commenting on, IMO.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 03-03-2010 at 01:04 PM.

  37. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  38. #25
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,689

    Default Re: Why make this statement???

    UB you are to smart and well educated a human being to not understand what ppl are getting at in this statement.
    For al li care stats in a loss have the same value as in a win, only to the statistician, however. to go out of his way to trash Josh and in doing so trashing his effort is "humanly" wrong.

    It shows clearly that our coach is very poor in people management skills, since he has done this a gazillion times with BRush as well, it is not a matter of them surviving or "getting over it" but a matter of negative behaviour which is contradictive to team interests.
    You do the same when raising kids, negative enhancements are a no-no in raising a kid, and calling a player you have already made life hard for out in the press and disregard what he did is plain dumb.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 11:33 AM
  2. I'm stealing this from Ojor "Did O'Brien make an Oops ??"
    By indygeezer in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 09:35 AM
  3. Make it so! - from a Kings fan
    By VF21 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 02:45 PM
  4. Finish the statement game
    By Hicks in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 01:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •