Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike's knee is not an excuse for his struggles (Bruno)

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Mike's knee is not an excuse for his struggles (Bruno)

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL @ the quick... that is exactly what it is.
    Zeke isn't laughing @ "The Quick", he loves it!!!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    Do I read:
    J.Jack was a direct cause to 40% of our ball movement?

I don't think it was Rasho, M.Daniels, M.Baston, or S.Graham.
    (OK maybe Q helped some, but he rarely played...)

Another reason letting J.Jack walk set this team back:
    (1. Leadership
    (2. Passion
    (3. Ball Movement
    You won't feel bad when Jarrett is 30 or 31 making 7 million dollars. Or if Jarretts team wins an average of 35 games a season. He's not really a huge game changer.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

I have heard from very good sources he is frustrated with a lot of things. But I know JOB is on the the list...high on the list.
    JOB is a silly man

Your his cousin right?

I'd imagine alot of people are frustrated with alot of things.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    I have heard from very good sources he is frustrated with a lot of things. But I know JOB is on the the list...high on the list.
    Of all people to be frustrated with O'Brien, I don't get why Mike would be. Jim has an offense that encourages making independent, intelligent decisions and requires a lot of passing and cutting. That's made for Mike more than it is anyone else on the roster. How on Earth can he be frustrated about this?

Perhaps he wants to slow it down because his legs can't take it, or other rotational things between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    Your his cousin right?

I'd imagine alot of people are frustrated with alot of things.
    a member of the family yes. I dont want to give out too much info from what I have heard but yes I have heard he is frustrated by his legs, he is being prideful by saying his health is good but he is not 100% healthy. He also is frustrated because he wants to help the team win and he has never been to the playoffs. He understands the league better than most since he has been a part of it since he was a baby, but he honestly thinks he can help the team. I know he is frustrated he is not getting more PT but he understands it. He wants to be healthier than he is which I think is a huge factor in his frustration. I think JOB is on the list but below his health I think that is the biggest thing he is frustrated with.
    JOB is a silly man

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jhondog28 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Of all people to be frustrated with O'Brien, I don't get why Mike would be. Jim has an offense that encourages making independent, intelligent decisions and requires a lot of passing and cutting. That's made for Mike more than it is anyone else on the roster. How on Earth can he be frustrated about this?
    JOB's rotation, maybe?

I mean, Mike would know more than anyone that PG, PG, SG, SF PF is not gonna work..also probably not happy about benching the center that can score easy baskets, and the point guard that actually makes pretty good decisions..among other things..

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Well, Dun might be able to see what all of us see: that they can only go to the next level with good defense, and JOB doesn't play good defensive players.

Granted, Dun isn't the greatest of defenders, but he's not a sieve like Murphy.

But his leg issues are another separate matter. He is just not the same player. I'm sure he'd like to help the team, but he is unable to right now.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Dunleavy's best season in the league has come under JOB. He never played nearly as well under 4 other coaches, and two of those coaches were COY winners. So if he's not happy playing for the coach who he's had by far his best season with, well it's going to take a pretty select coach to make him happy.

Banned

I think that Mike is done, he is maybe retiring after next season I think.

I wonder if he would want to coach after he retires?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I think that Mike is done, he is maybe retiring after next season I think.
    Nah, no way he'd abandon $10M, plus he can be a 8th man on a playoff team. He's not useless, I'd just imagine he's sick of our crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesterovic View Post
    Nah, no way he'd abandon $10M, plus he can be a 8th man on a playoff team. He's not useless, I'd just imagine he's sick of our crap.
    Next season is his the last year of his current deal, so if he retired after next season, he wouldn't be leaving any money on the table. With that being said, if he should still be able to score some deal for at least $3M playing as an 8th man on a playoff team, as you said. If he could get that type of deal, I imagine he would take it.

Mainly, I'm sure he's just sick of not being on a winning team. He has yet to be on a team in the NBA with a .500 record, much less a playoff team. Aside from making some very good amounts of money, I don't think he's enjoyed the majority of his experience in the NBA.

I would say enjoyment is relative...

These guys are living the dream. Sure it sucks for 48 minutes on the court and having to rationalize why you suck to the media. But afterwards at home, while you are chillin in your hot tub that is the size of my back yard, sipping the finest scotch, getting backrubs from the most beautiful women in the world while your personal chef prepares you a meal fit for a king... it's not so bad.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

I would say enjoyment is relative...

These guys are living the dream. Sure it sucks for 48 minutes on the court and having to rationalize why you suck to the media. But afterwards at home, while you are chillin in your hot tub that is the size of my back yard, sipping the finest scotch, getting backrubs from the most beautiful women in the world while your personal chef prepares you a meal fit for a king... it's not so bad.
    Of course it's relative. Karl Malone was asked by Jim Rome if he had reached the pinnacle of his profession. Malone said that as a poor kid growing up in Louisiana, he had definitely reached the pinnacle seeing as where he came from to where he eventually got. But then he said that as a professional basketball player and NBA superstar, he can't say he reached the pinnacle because he never won a title.

I'm sure Dunleavy enjoys the fact that he's an NBA player making unreal amounts of money to play the game he loves. I'm sure he's grateful to be in that position and would prefer doing it to most other things in life he can think of.

That being said, from a basketball standpoint, he was used to winning in high school and college. He grew up in a basketball family and basically grew up around the NBA with his dad being involved with the league all this time. So it's probably a sore spot that he hasn't been able to win since turning professional. I'm pretty sure that, relative to college, he hasn't enjoyed the actual basketball experience itself as much in the pros. At least I'm pretty sure that was the case in GS.

I read it that Mike blames the offensive system and the other players running it. Maybe that's true, but I am a little disappointed in how he's externalizing it.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

I think Mike is mailing it in - I'm starting to see why he was disliked in GS. If things don't go his way, he shuts down.

Give me a D.Jones who at least gives 100% all the time, even when things are bleak.

Quote Originally Posted by nerveghost View Post
    I think Mike is mailing it in - I'm starting to see why he was disliked in GS. If things don't go his way, he shuts down.

Give me a D.Jones who at least gives 100% all the time, even when things are bleak.
    The thing that was disliked about him was that he pretty much let it be known that he was the smart guy. He didn't say it outright, of course, but it was implied that he was the guy who spent his life growing up around the game and learning the game from his NBA coaching father. So he knew better. He knew how to play the game right.

So if things weren't going right or if Dunleavy just wasn't playing to his potential, well it surely wasn't anything to do with him because he's the guy who knows how to play the right way, so it must be something else: other guys not playing the right way, other guys not knowing the system, the coach not knowing how to use Dunleavy or the coach just implementing the wrong system altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    The thing that was disliked about him was that he pretty much let it be known that he was the smart guy. He didn't say it outright, of course, but it was implied that he was the guy who spent his life growing up around the game and learning the game from his NBA coaching father. So he knew better. He knew how to play the game right.

So if things weren't going right or if Dunleavy just wasn't playing to his potential, well it surely wasn't anything to do with him because he's the guy who knows how to play the right way, so it must be something else: other guys not playing the right way, other guys not knowing the system, the coach not knowing how to use Dunleavy or the coach just implementing the wrong system altogether.
    He takes his fair share of blame. To a certain extent what you are saying is correct. He is very confident in his ability to play basketball and feels like he knows the game better than most. I mean if you were the oldest son of a guy who not only played since he was born but coached I promise you would feel the same way. So when the media asked him what is wrong he honestly thinks he knows the answer and it is either said as "team issue" or "scheme issue" which as we know are very common answers from coaches when things go badly. To be honest I think after his last season with Indy he will go somewhere to win for less money. Lets face it it is not like his family or himself doesnt have any. It is all about winning for him right now.
    JOB is a silly man

If you are correct, it is still a poor attitude, and poor leadership.

I wonder if he would want to coach after he retires?
    I get the feeling he'd be a clone of his dad. Take that to mean what you will.

Mike knows good basketball and this team isn't playing it. He is frustrated with the team, the players, the coach, with himself, his medical condition - all of it. Would love to hear his conversations between him and his dad

He takes his fair share of blame. To a certain extent what you are saying is correct. He is very confident in his ability to play basketball and feels like he knows the game better than most. I mean if you were the oldest son of a guy who not only played since he was born but coached I promise you would feel the same way. So when the media asked him what is wrong he honestly thinks he knows the answer and it is either said as "team issue" or "scheme issue" which as we know are very common answers from coaches when things go badly. To be honest I think after his last season with Indy he will go somewhere to win for less money. Lets face it it is not like his family or himself doesnt have any. It is all about winning for him right now.
    When does he take the time to self-criticize?

Just general deflection I think. More blather by Dun, blaming everyone else.
    Yeah, that was my first thought as well. Re-read the article and try to find a place where Dun takes responsibility for his poor play. Here's his direct quotes from the article:

Quote Originally Posted by Dun View Post
    "Obviously, there's just not a whole lot of rhythm there. Some of it's out of my control. I've just got to make the most of it and try and help the team win and just try and get better. It's too bad because I thought we had a really good thing going and it's just not going in that direction anymore. Hopefully we can win a different way. Health is wealth and I feel good and my knee's doing well and that's really important. In terms of my production, that has nothing (to do with it). I came back and right after the injury was fine. There was nothing wrong with me. Did well. But things have kind of just gone in a different direction and I've got to roll with the punches."

Is the evolution away from the offense that so suited Dunleavy's skills permanent? Or is it just a temporary aberration forced by circumstance?

"I hope so but it's tough," Dunleavy said. "It's something that's tough to replicate. You've got to have guys that really know how to play and see the floor and stuff like that. It's kind of like either you have it or you don't and we've got to have enough guys to be able to do that."
    Whiner. Complete and utter whiner. Man the heck up, Dunleavy.
    Last edited by Anthem; 03-03-2010 at 09:59 AM.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!