Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odd thoughts about winning time...

Default Odd thoughts about winning time...

I didnít walk away feeling like I expected to.

To be honest with you while I was totally looking forward to the premier of winning time I just new that I would walk away angry and disgusted with the franchise and the current state of affairs.

Man was I ever wrong.

Instead of the despair that I expected I feel almost like I have been washed and cleaned by this event.

I told Hicks and Gnome after the movie that I could not help but look around at a packed fieldhouse that was filled with Pacers fans and feel hope. This was an event that they could have just stayed home or gone and done something else on a Friday night when this is a movie that they can see for free on TV in a few weeks.

But the place was packed. It was packed with young & old with both men & women.

Iím sure there were some people that were there to see the red carpet event, but Iím not even sure how many people knew much about that prior to getting there.

These were Pacer fans that were there to see history and frankly to be part of it again.

I was fortunate that I was able to attend every single game live that was on the movie screen and I will always cherish those moments. But I will tell you that being in that place with the people I was with watching the movie with a house full of Pacer fans was a damn close feeling as well.

Every time Reggie hit a big shot the crowd would cheer as though we were watching the game live again.

If you didnít come or live out of state and couldnít make it I will just say I feel sorry for you because for this one night the fieldhouse was magical again.

Letís get to the event.

Diamond Dave, DBrown24, theJaddler, KnicksRgarbage, Roaming Gnome, Roaming Gnomes better half, Shade, Hicks and myself all met in the pre-movie at Scottyís for dinner. As expected we spoke of current team events and lamented the state of affairs.

DBrown24 channeled his inner Seth and tried to convince Diamond Dave, Hicks and myself that Tyler would never be a good quality NBA player. Finally after what seemed like an hour of hearing him drone on about it he had to admit he was Duke fan. We all agreed to drop it from there.

Got done eating right about 10 till 7 and walked to the fieldhouse, where we saw the red carpet was going on. Asked who had shown up and was told Slick and Jeff Foster so far. Roaming Gnome then expresses very loudly that he isnít standing in the damn cold to see Jeff Foster so we went in. This solicited several snickers from the crowd in line.

We bypassed everybody and went to get our seats. We got third row seats on the corner giving us a superb view of the show. We got 9 seats together so it worked out great that we did not do the carpet because it became clear pretty early this was going to be a packed house.

Several players from the past and present were on the floor and a few were in the suites. Big Smooth, Vern Fleming, Austin Croshere, Mel Daniels, Slick Leonard, Derrick Mckey, Jeff Foster, Doug Collins and Charles Barkley were all on the floor for the event.

Jeff Foster came over towards our section to get a water when Dbrown24 yelled out for him which caused our entire section to cheer for him. His face lit up by the way and you could tell he was a little taken back by the whole thing. He then yelled ďanybody want a water?Ē then he threw a bottle of water which Dbrown24 caught. He will never wash his hands again and considers the contents of the bottle to be holy and blessed.

Several current Pacers were up in the suites.

Mark Boyle took the floor to introduce Dan Klores the film maker. Dan said a few pleasantries but then he did the one thing that everyone in the fieldhouse had been waiting for. He introduced Reggie Miller.

The crowd had been wanting to chant Reggie, Reggie, Reggie for several min. and when he hit the stage there was a thunderous explosion of cheers and chants. I couldnít tell for sure but I got the impression that Reggie got a little choked up about the response but quickly recovered and proceeded to say that he never got tired of hearing the cheers of the great fans of the Indiana Pacers.

He then thanked the producers and executives for the event as well the Simon family for letting them host the event there.

Reggie then acknowledged that Dan Klores drove from New York to Philadelphia by car and then chartered a flight to Indiana because of the snow storm.

He introduced Hall of fame members Doug Collins and Charles Barkley. Collins got a polite golf clap of course Sir Charles got the roar of the crowd.

Then it was movie time.

I donít know how to do a movie review but I will say this. Even if I wasnít a fan of the Pacers or even a Knicks fan I am certain I would enjoy this film.

It was entertaining on so many levels that it is really hard to describe. The interviews were very well edited together and everything flowed like the Mississippi river.

The one thing that you may or may not expect of this film is that it IS funny. From slow motion shots of Reggieís face when he was getting in John Starks head or grabbing his neck and junk at Spike Lee was down right hilarious.

To me though the stars of the movie (aside from Reggie of course) were Patrick Ewing, John Starks and Spike Lee. To me they all got the intent of the movie and were very entertaining to listen to and down right funny.

Patrick Ewing in the beginning was describing how irritating it was to try and play against Reggie and then after a few minutes he just pauses and looks at the camera and says ďyou know, I hated Reggie MillerĒ. Just to hear him say that was almost worth the trip and if it ended there I probably would have been satisfied but it went on.

John Starks described his role in events and seeing the director to cut back and forth between Reggieís version of events and Johnís version was just downright brilliant.

Of course the highlight for me was not only seeing those old teams but of course Dale Davis be front and center in so much of that action.

But this wasnít just about that series. They did the hole lead up to the series by showing how both teams had been on hard times since the early 70ís and they showed video tonight of something I had never ever seen before. They showed the Steve Alford household when the Pacers drafted Reggie Miller. The bitterness on his face was pretty evident when the Pacers didnít pick him.

I could go on and on but Iím sure all of you will see the movie when it hits ESPN, I know I will be taping it.

Two huge giant thumbs up to the movie itself.

As to the event, I want to thank the Pacers for hosting it and allowing us all too once again bond with Reggie and feel that magic come home again.

We cheered every shot, we had grunts when Reggie missed the free throws and we cheered to see our old favorites play again.

Like I started off saying, I walk away feeling far different than I ever thought I would going in.

I think I needed that to be honest with you. My Pacer spirit was bent but this movie tonight showed me that it was not broken.

To the Pacers front office, keep your heads up, work hard and as you can see by tonightís turnout the fans want to believe again.

Boom Baby

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Odd thoughts about winning time...

Sounds like it was an awesome time. Now I am bummed that I missed it! Glad you had a great time and pumped that Pacerland is still out there waiting for the good times again!

The crowd had been wanting to chant Reggie, Reggie, Reggie for several min.
    Excellent review but shouldn't that read:

The crowd had been wanting to chant Reggie, Reggie, Reggie for several years now.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

I just hope that in the next couple of years the crowd will have a reason to chant Danny....Danny....Danny....

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Jeff Foster came over towards our section to get a water when Dbrown24 yelled out for him which caused our entire section to cheer for him. His face lit up by the way and you could tell he was a little taken back by the whole thing. He then yelled ďanybody want a water?Ē then he threw a bottle of water which Dbrown24 caught. He will never wash his hands again and considers the contents of the bottle to be holy and blessed.
    Haha, I saw this happen. Didn't realize it was the PD crew. Very cool.

I came away feeling great, as well. Exciting to see a crowd like that (in the film and like you said, at the showing) and see the excitement the Pacers can generate. I can't wait until we have a team anywhere close to the 1995 Pacers to cheer for again. It is what makes being a fan through the tough times worth it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am so glad the event went well. I am just crushed to not be there... But such is the life of a non-Indiana-native Pacers fan.

I eagerly await the premiere of the film on ESPN!
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Nice post, thank you for sharing!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thank God for some positive vibes, after reading that I am pretty pissed I didn't make it, it was a boring Friday night here, should have made the trip. Cannot wait to see the film, and cannot wait for some good luck to bounce our way again.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Cool to hear how great of an event it was... bummed I didn't go now.

Several players from the past and present were on the floor and a few were in the suites. Big Smooth, Vern Fleming, Austin Croshere, Mel Daniels, Slick Leonard, Derrick Mckey, Jeff Foster, Doug Collins and Charles Barkley were all on the floor for the event.
    The whole reading of your take on the film, and the night was great, Peck. To me though, reading that Mel Daniels was there (after the events early in the year) was the best part. It's nice he was once again a part of the Pacers family for that night.

I couldn't agree with you more. We were sitting basically right where you guys were, but on the opposite corner in section 8. I was literally on the edge of my seat for the entire movie. I can't really say much more than you've already stated, so I'll just say thank you. Thanks for taking the time to express the good vibes and thanks for staying true to the team.
    Grown Man Ball

I actually had a Knicks fan sitting behind me wearing his Knock jersey. Drove me crazy the entire night talking smack. I would have like to have seen it end with the Pacers beating the Knicks to get to the Finals, I also thought the lockout season was important to show too just beacuse of the 4pt play. grrrrrrrrr!!!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

The sheer number of parents bringing their kids was amazing. Maybe those kids will remember somewhere the cheers of the crowd last night and the emotions in the arena.

I choked up a few times, notably during the brief shot of the Season Ticket Telethon when Nancy Leonard read the ticket total - does that surprise anyone?

I remembered where I was during each of the games, whether listening on the radio (amazingly enough during the day I could actually get WIBC in Atlanta sometimes) or actually seeing a game on TV.

I, too, wish they could have figured out how to work in the 4-pt play and the poster shot of Reggie hitting the three in front of the whole crowd of Knicks fans who know it is going in. I think the film would have been weaker for it, though, as I think the peak was 1995.

A great experience. Wish they would do it again.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I'll say this...

If they had the movie showing at Conseco again, I would go again, and then again, and again, until I was all $10'd out.
    Grown Man Ball

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am so glad that I worked 72 straight hours just to get the night off to go with my PD crew(The best sports crew around!) I remember watching those games as a kid and young teenager. And as El Peckbo said it was like reliving it again. It brought back all the hate I hate for the Knicks, Ewing, Starkes, Riley and well Spike Lee! It also taught me some more history about the Pacers that I apperntly didnt know, made me ask more questions about the history of the team. It kept me smiling all night long. I dont know how long the movie actualy was but it all went by so quick and I never once looked at my watch.

It brought joy and hope to me that some day we will once again rise to the top and succeed and become a force that is to be delt with in the NBA.

I will now consider this the end of the season and will be happy!
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

If you didn’t come or live out of state and couldn’t make it I will just say I feel sorry for you because for this one night the fieldhouse was magical again.
    AHHH! You are so right, my brother...It was a magical night last night.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    I just hope that in the next couple of years the crowd will have a reason to chant Danny....Danny....Danny....
    Sadly, as much as I like Danny, I don't think he has what it takes to be close to what Reggie was. He didn't grow up getting beat down by Cheryl in the back yard, and he just doesn't have the same fire. I think it'll be a long time before we get to cheer for a team with so much motivation and heart again.

Like they said in the movie, they all hated Larry Brown during the games, but together they knew they had to do the right thing. All our teams now tune out the coach and just seem to go out there and do their job, kinda, so they can get paid. Punchin' the timeclock compared to what those old teams used to do. They just don't care as much anymore.

RESIDENT COUNTING THREAD PHILOSOPHIZER

Quote Originally Posted by heywoode View Post
    AHHH! You are so right, my brother...It was a magical night last night.

Sadly, as much as I like Danny, I don't think he has what it takes to be close to what Reggie was. He didn't grow up getting beat down by Cheryl in the back yard, and he just doesn't have the same fire. I think it'll be a long time before we get to cheer for a team with so much motivation and heart again.
    This widely held opinion of him is only due to this season, where he started off injured,shouldn't have even been playing. Last season he was considered top 3 SF, and he was just as clutch as Reggie, last years team in general was much better than this years. This years team doesn't even look to get the ball to Granger on a regular basis. Look for it tonight during the Bulls game.

Danny has gone through alot of adversity in his young life, and he grew up playing against all the bigger kids in the neighborhood, that's why he tough as nails. He plays with a chip on his shoulder just like Reggie did.

Those Pacer teams of the mid 90's where close to .500 seasons. It was until they brought in Mark Jackson did they really start to become a force.

No, he's not even close to as clutch as Reggie. Reggie was clutch and motivated to be elite in a far more bruising era than we have now. Reggie was trying to scrap the team above .500 every single game. Danny is going thru the motions. I like Danny. I really do...

Can we keep the negative vibes out of the thread please. This movie doesn't have anything to do with Danny Granger and how he compares to Uncle Reggie.
    Grown Man Ball

I wasn't going to post again comparing the two of them because I agree that this thread isn't the place to do it.
    At the same time, I don't need you telling me whether to or not. You worry about your posting, and I'll worry about mine!

do you guys have any idea if this will be made available to us non-indiana residents?

Quote Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
    do you guys have any idea if this will be made available to us non-indiana residents?
    It's going to be on ESPN on March 14th at 9:00pm (EST)

They'll also be replaying several times. There's a schedule for it on the website

http://30for30.espn.com/film/winning...rk-knicks.html
    Grown Man Ball

24. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

It's definitely a keeper. Will be a DVD purchase or at least a DVR & burn to DVD!

I went to the CFH on friday, will be dvr'ing it on the 14 and buying it on dvd when ever it comes out and I'm sure I won't be able to delete it on the dvr once i have it on dvd.

As I said in the "who's going" thread, my GF had tickets but I was scheduled to work and didn't really want to call off. I told her I would if she really wanted to go, because I didn't think it was really going to be a huge deal. She told me it really didn't matter to her, that if I didn't want to go, she would just give away the tickets.

What she failed to mention, until late Friday night, was that she decided to take her roommate and two of their friends from Ohio, that knew nothing about the Pacers/Knicks. One of the girls even thought Reggie had passed away.....

I regreted not calling off work Friday afternoon, and after I talked to her once she had went, I really regreted it. She talked about how much all 4 of them really liked it, and about how they thought how some of the moments were pretty funny.

She had nothing but good things to say. I feel like a total dope for not calling off.