Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Other NBA Coaches Are Worse Than JO'B?

Default What Other NBA Coaches Are Worse Than JO'B?

It has been said on numerous occasions, as of late, O'Brien is NOT the worst coach in the NBA. Ok, what others are worse and why? Please no interim coaches, but only coaches under contract from the beginning of the season. I'm interested in hearing who others feel is a worse coach than O'Brien. I'm not saying Jimmy is the worst coach, but I would like to hear who is considered to be worse.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO DISCUSS O'BRIEN'S FAULTS. That has been done to death in 100 threads by 1,000 posters.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What Other NBA Coaches Are Worse Than JO'B?

The list is in your original post.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Difficult to quantify Kim Hughes who replaced Dunleavy Sr. with the Clippers. Otherwise, Kurt Rambis of the Timberwolves might be a candidate, but he cannot be fairly judged at this point due to a combination of a poorly constructed roster and tanking possiblity. I could say the exact same thing about Vandeweghe in NJ, but he seems intelligent and they are so blatantly tanking that his abilities cannot be judged.

That would leave absolutely no one else IMO who is currently a head coach in the NBA who is worse than our intrepid leader who has the confidence of our front office, who in turn have the complete support of our owners. I hope that this confidence chain means that in fact we have been tanking as well, and that for the first time since he has been here, O'B will magically transform himself into a decent NBA coach next year (I can just barely stretch my mind far enough into such a distant, abstract, conspiratorial mindset that this outcome is even a possibility, and if so it has been brilliantly played and both O'B and Bird should be receiving awards from both the NBA and the Academy for their respective performances).

Banned

there is only four worse teams than the pacers in the NBA and many of those coaches are there because they fired the head coach, I think that Dunleavy Sr and Nellie are worse than JOB, they are also as stubborn as JOB.

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dunleavy Sr. has stepped down and been replaced by Kim Hughes.

I'm not sure that Del Negro is as good as JOB either. I think he is benefitting from a better talent base than Jim is but I can't think he really is much better at all.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure that Del Negro is as good as JOB either. I think he is benefitting from a better talent base than Jim is but I can't think he really is much better at all.
    yeah but at least he puts the players in the right position, I have not seen a line up with Rose as power forward or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    yeah but at least he puts the players in the right position, I have not seen a line up with Rose as power forward or anything like that.
    Good point, ok I take back my statement.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

the only name i can think of is nelson but i still think he's better than job. so the answer is noone.

Per a Google search, the list is very short. Tim Floyd, Mike Dunleavy, and PJ Carlesimo would be good candidates by word of mouth. Based on losing records with no marginal improvement and playoffs appearance (past 20 years), Rick Pitino, Richie Adubato, Sidney Lowe, Bill Blair, John Lucas, and Wes Unseld. On the real, the list is very short for coaches who had back-to-back poor records then got worse the 3rd year. Really, Rick was just a bad NBA coach minus his time with NYK.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-27-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    the only name i can think of is nelson but i still think he's better than job. so the answer is noone.
    But Don Nelson was a consistent winning coach at one point (won COY 3x). Looking at JOB's track record...JOB flat out sucks. I really don't want to give him credit for the Philly season, because he had AI in his prime. AI is 30+ wins by himself with no offense structure.

probably Jim O'brian, but I think MIKE BROWN is one of the worst coaches out there

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Otherwise, Kurt Rambis of the Timberwolves might be a candidate, but he cannot be fairly judged at this point due to a combination of a poorly constructed roster and tanking possiblity.
    This is something fans of Minnesota probably would say about O'brein too. Not starting a JOb discussion, for it's . Just making a point.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    probably Jim O'brian, but I think MIKE BROWN is one of the worst coaches out there
    yeah, I agree on this one, he is just lucky that Lebron is on his team

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    I really don't want to give him credit for the Philly season, because he had AI in his prime. AI is 30+ wins by himself with no offense structure.
    You also don't want to give him credit for beating a 3rd seeded Pacer team with his a less talented 6th seeded Celtics team, then eventually getting that team to the conference finals.

The season prior to hiring JOB, the 76ers won 33 games. With JOB the next season in 2004-2005, they won 43 games in his only season in Philly. Since getting rid of JOB, Philly has yet to win that many games. It's been 5 years since getting rid of JOB and Philly hasn't found a way to get better, so firing JOB obviously wasn't the magic, 1 trick solution to fixing all their problems.

I haven't looked it up, but I'm pretty confident you can find a coach in the league right now with a worse career winning percentage than JOB's 48.6%.
    Last edited by d_c; 02-27-2010 at 03:25 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

if you ever listen to "wired" and del negro talk, you'll notice that he says absolutely nothing productive. "guys! make smart passes! make good plays! play good defense! derrick rose- attack!"

Don Nelson.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for his entire body of work, but his time with the Warriors has been a disaster.

He was brought in to implement his run-n-gun, play guards as centers brand of basketball. He tried that, and even had some middling success his first year. When the Warriors failed to make any more progress beyond that, he tuned out, and now you can catch him openly scanning the crowd during the games and just generally not giving a crap. The only reason he's still there is his massive guaranteed contract. In terms of pure lack of interest, Don Nelson takes the cake.

In interviews I've seen with Mike Brown, he talks about how he had to scale back his coaching and just let Lebron do his thing. That is smart coaching kind of. He gets to coach when Lebron is on the bench.

But the conversations in the Cav's huddle go something like this.
    "Ok guys, we need to get Lebron the ball. Lebron, make sure you get the ball. Then Lebron is going to run a play. Make sure you look for clues as to what Lebron is going to do. On the count of three! Go Team! 1 2 3..."

My views on Jim are like this. Either he is the worst coach ever and is absolutely incompetent...

Or he is really devious and is doing a masterful job of tanking. He knows what we know about the 5 game win streak. He knows Troy and Dunleavy suck. He knows TJ is terrible at running the offense. He knows we should be playing through Hibbert in a low post inside outside offense. And he knows AJ is our best PG. But all that means we would be winning games, and we can't have that. That is pretty far fetched..

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog View Post
    Don Nelson.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for his entire body of work, but his time with the Warriors has been a disaster.

He was brought in to implement his run-n-gun, play guards as centers brand of basketball. He tried that, and even had some middling success his first year. When the Warriors failed to make any more progress beyond that, he tuned out, and now you can catch him openly scanning the crowd during the games and just generally not giving a crap. The only reason he's still there is his massive guaranteed contract. In terms of pure lack of interest, Don Nelson takes the cake.
    If you were approaching 70 years of age and had to coach a roster full of D-League players while working for people like Chris Cohan and Robert Rowell, you would quickly lose interest too. Nellie is the only coach to have taken the team to the playoffs in Cohan's era of incompetent ownership.

If I were in that situation, I'd probably just be collecting a check and going through the motions, too.
    Last edited by d_c; 02-27-2010 at 06:08 PM.

There are NBA JAM coaches better than O'Brien.

Quote Originally Posted by HanSolo View Post
    if you ever listen to "wired" and del negro talk, you'll notice that he says absolutely nothing productive. "guys! make smart passes! make good plays! play good defense! derrick rose- attack!"
    That's what a lot of coaches do. "We need energy. We need rebounding. Play with some pride out there." Etc...

Notice that Flip Saunders hasn't done anything for the Wiz that Eddie Jordan didn't already do. Notice that Eddie Jordan isn't doing anything for the 76ers that JOB (yes, JOB) or Mo Cheeks didn't already do.

What has Kurt Rambis and his 8 years of apprenticeship under Phil Jackson done for the T-Wolves? What kind of improvment have they made under him compared to a stiff like Randy Whitman? I don't see a big change.

And of course Vinnie del Negro has done absolutely nothing to improve upon what Scott Skiles did. And Skiles never had anything like the playmaker Derrick Rose is.

People always act like some coaching change is a magic wand that will have all kinds of dynamic effects on the team. And more often than not it's nothing more than a cosmetic change, as the real changes come from changes in the roster.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    That's what a lot of coaches do. "We need energy. We need rebounding. Play with some pride out there." Etc...

Notice that Flip Saunders hasn't done anything for the Wiz that Eddie Jordan didn't already do. Notice that Eddie Jordan isn't doing anything for the 76ers that JOB (yes, JOB) or Mo Cheeks didn't already do.

What has Kurt Rambis and his 8 years of apprenticeship under Phil Jackson done for the T-Wolves? What kind of improvment have they made under him compared to a stiff like Randy Whitman? I don't see a big change.

And of course Vinnie del Negro has done absolutely nothing to improve upon what Scott Skiles did. And Skiles never had anything like the playmaker Derrick Rose is.

People always act like some coaching change is a magic wand that will have all kinds of dynamic effects on the team. And more often than not it's nothing more than a cosmetic change, as the real changes come from changes in the roster.
    When you have a coach who changes the rotation, to a more screwed up rotation every other game..as well as continuing to play the same players over and over again, and refusing to play what works because it doesn't go with your system (jog and hoist + vets)

It really affects a team. A good coach could have won plenty of more games with this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    It really affects a team. A good coach could have won plenty of more games with this team.
    You mean how like JOB won more last year and the year before compared to what he's on pace to win this year? This year, the best player has been beat up and they lost their 2nd best 4th quarter player to free agency. They've also lost their most reliable role playing bigman for basically the entire season.

Anyone coaching this team is going to be working with a physically beat up midlevel all-star, the worst PG rotation in the league, a PF who can't post up and is among the worst defenders at his position, a starting SF who still still hasn't gotten over his injury and a 2nd year starting center who never even averaged more than 26 mpg in college.

Whoever is going to win "plenty more" with that kind of roster should be getting paid a mint. Why do I think you're going to have a hard time finding a coach like that?

Nelson makes for fun basketball, anywhere he's coached. He's won some too...I think with Dallas...although his talent level at the time was off the charts. Honestly, I can't stand the product he puts on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Nelson makes for fun basketball, anywhere he's coached. He's won some too...I think with Dallas...although his talent level at the time was off the charts. Honestly, I can't stand the product he puts on the floor.
    Nellie had good talent in Dallas, but the Lakers and San Antonio were just better. Just like he had good teams in Milwaukee and won a lot, but the 76ers and Celtics were just better. This is a league where the best teams ultimately win, and Nellie has never had the best team, though he has had some pretty good ones.

Not too long after Nellie got to Dallas (when they were horrible), he traded an unprotected pick for another team's backup PG. Imagine the Pacers right now trading their 2011 unprotected pick for another team's backup PG. That's exactly what Nellie did. That's how he got Steve Nash. People thought he was equally nuts for taking Dirk.

FTR, the 2007 "We Believe" team didn't beat the Mavs with a bunch of fun gimmicks, as many people would like to believe. They upset them by simply getting up in the Mavs' faces, being physical and playing harder.
    Last edited by d_c; 02-27-2010 at 07:30 PM.