Thread: Miami Heat's Carlos Arroyo arrested after traffic violation

Default Miami Heat's Carlos Arroyo arrested after traffic violation

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/02/2...-arrested.html

By MICHAEL WALLACE
    mwallace@MiamiHerald.com

Heat point guard Carlos Arroyo was arrested Friday in Coral Gables and is facing charges for a traffic violation and resisting arrest.

According to the arrest report, Arroyo was spotted at 8:41 a.m. driving slow enough along the 7100 block of Old Cutler Road to the point that he was said to be impeding traffic.

Arroyo apparently was on his way to the Heat's practice at AmericanAirlines Arena. He did not attend the workout in advance of Saturday's game against Milwaukee.

``We are aware of the traffic stop involving Carlos Arroyo [on Friday] morning, and while we fully support our players, this is a pending legal matter, and we will have no comment at this time,'' Heat president Pat Riley said in a statement.

According to the incident report, a motorcycle patrolman made several attempts to stop Arroyo's vehicle.

Additional police units were called because of Arroyo's initial unwillingness to pull over his car, according to the incident report.

Arroyo, 30, eventually stopped but ``attempted to resist'' being handcuffed when he exited his car. He was also accused of being ``confrontational and challenging'' and ``posing a threat to both himself and officers,'' the report said.

Arroyo appeared to have scratches and red marks on his face and neck in a mug shot taken by police when he was booked at the Coral Gables Police Department.

``I was in my car on the way to practice this morning when I was stopped by the police. This incident led to me being arrested for the very first time in my life,'' said Arroyo in a statement Friday.

``I sincerely apologize to my fans, family, the Miami Heat and the entire South Florida community for the negative publicity that has arisen from this morning's events. I am confident that once all of the facts come out in a court of law, this matter will be resolved in my favor.''

Arroyo is charged with operating a vehicle at a low enough speed to impede traffic, resisting arrest without violence and failing to obey a lawful order.

Arroyo was released on a promise to appear in court.

Arroyo, a Pinecrest resident and former FIU standout, has played in 49 games with the Heat this season, including 14 starts.

An eight-year NBA veteran, Arroyo has averaged nearly five points and three assists in his first season with the Heat.

The team has not said if it would take any disciplinary action against Arroyo, who has not been ruled out of Saturday's game.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacemaker For This Useful Post: