Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Putting the cart before the horse: Available NBA Coaches for next season

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Putting the cart before the horse: Available NBA Coaches for next season

All I know is I would want Bird and Morway to do an actual interview, instead of a phone conference before they announce.

Default Re: Putting the cart before the horse: Available NBA Coaches for next season

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I really do think JOB will be here through his contract. In fact, I would be somewhat surprised if Bird let him go, unfortunately. The Pacers are losing too much money to elect to pay two coaches next year.

I has come my way of belief as of late.

1) He's under contract, and Herb isn't going to want to pay 2 coaches salaries next year in this financial economy. He paid Carlisle a salary in Jimmy's 1st season as coach.

2) Really, who else other than Jimmy to coach in order to get another good lottery pick for next year going into the 011 offseason? He's got a losing system and likes relying on vets. A recipe for success in going for another high lottery pick. Plus he been beat to death by the fans, and can handle it for another season. He's too proud and stubborn the quit. His thinking is he'll show the fans his system WORKS. Plus, he has FO backing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

I wish you could get McHale who was terrific when he came down and coached his Wolves players.

I would say McHale was a better coach than GM, BUT NO more Celtic connections! 3rd time isn't going to be a charm.

If Bird picks another coach with a Celtic connection, I'll lead the march on Conseco with pitchfork in hand. One execption might be Tom Thibideau.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by zwb View Post
    Patrick Ewing.

I wouldn't be adverse to giving Ewing an opportunity. Plus, he knows how to work with BIGS.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post

All I know is I would want Bird and Morway to do an actual interview, instead of a phone conference before they announce.

I don't feel they dare hire another coach over the phone, but with Bird can't count on the obvious.

Unless we trade players who in the last year of their contract this off season for young players/picks, I do not think it makes sense to fire JOB. He is contract ends after next season along with many of our current players, so I think we will clean house all at once and start over. There is no need to pay another coach to teach Murphy, Dun, Ford, etc. a new system when they most likely will not be back with the team after next season.

My prediction is that next season will be even worse than this season if changes are not made during the off season. The combination of a coach and several players who will not be returning with the team has disaster written all over it. I would bet that most of the players in their contract year will work hard to put up great individual stats, but will not be concerned about winning for a lame duck coach and a team that is only interested in the salary cap space they will provide at the end of the season.

I don't have any names, but I would like to have a coach that uses a balanced gameplan. After years of Carlisle's defensive approach and JOB's no defense (and now no offense as well), I would like a coach that believes in both. Assuming the coach gets hired after next season, we will most likely use the cap space to bring in younger players, so this coach will probably not be the one that leads us to deep playoff runs. That being said, somebody who is good at developing players and can adjust his gameplan to bring out the players strengths (rather than forcing the players to adapt to his new style; I'm thinking of Ford in JOB system in particular) would be good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    He wasn't working with the Pacers. He was in the Celtics front office from his retirement as a player until Donnie hired him as a coach.

I was thinking the other day about starting a thread as to why Donnie hired Bird. Just what abilities did DW truly see in Bird to make him believe he had the ability to run the Pacers???

Banned

Byron Scott

Mark Jackson was an outspoken floor general during his ridiculously long playing career (17 years). He's an all-time assist leader and a leader of men (an ordained minister). Many vaunted NBA execs have given him the opportunity to interview for a head coaching job, included Paxson, Walsh, and Steve Kerr. I've got to think that they know something about Mark that you guys don't.

Lack of assistant coaching experience should not disqualify one from becoming a head coach... and a good one. Doc Rivers was never an assistant in the NBA before coaching. Neither were Larry Brown and George Karl. But Mike D'Antoni, Jim O'Brien, and Eddie Jordan were...so much for that theory.

Mark Jackson is Queens schoolyard tough; he would make a great NBA coach, especially if he had an experienced staff. Judging Mark's coaching abilities based on his abilities as a broadcaster is unfair.