Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40

Thread: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

  1. #26
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,762

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    I was going to interject that didn't the city of Seattle vote to not build a new arena and wasn't that the final nail in the coffin?

    I mean I know the new owner was going to move them if he could anyway but at the end of the day wasn't it the city population itself that voted against the new facility a large reason why they moved?


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,943

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was going to interject that didn't the city of Seattle vote to not build a new arena and wasn't that the final nail in the coffin?

    I mean I know the new owner was going to move them if he could anyway but at the end of the day wasn't it the city population itself that voted against the new facility a large reason why they moved?
    I don't believe that the issue ever got to a vote, but after the construction of Qwest Stadium and Safeco Field (built at the same time) it was all but assured that a vote to replace a 12 year old facility was all but doomed in a King County referendum. They were trying thru the state to get something accomplished, but the request pretty much fell on deaf ears.

    Unfortunately, the planning for Key Arena was pretty poor which led to the building being obsolete so quickly. Between the city trying to save a buck in a retrofit of a small building and the community already being bled out by the teams other 2 pro sports franchises... Doom, pain and misery were on the forcast with the standard rain thats always there.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 02-26-2010 at 02:53 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  4. #28
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,255

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone know?

    I'm curious to see what, if anything, changes with our approach to each game once we are mathematically eliminated, so I wanted to know what the "magic number" was to where we are officially eliminated.

    Thanks
    Last year Rasho was still starting over Hibbert sometimes and Josh wasn't getting on the floor even after official elimination. I remember because I was furious. Expect nothing to change.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 02-26-2010 at 02:58 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  5. #29
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,038

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't believe that the issue ever got to a vote, but after the construction of Qwest Stadium and Safeco Field (built at the same time) it was all but assured that a vote to replace a 12 year old facility was all but doomed in a King County vote. They were trying thru the state to get something accomplished, but the request pretty much fell on deaf ears.
    I also recall it came to a vote, but I seem to remember the word on the street was that everyone involved in the sale knew that vote was going to fail so it was already a moot point by then.

    I see what both Gnome and Hicks are saying, I really do. I don't think I'm just being Chicken Little irrational about this (but remember, Chicken Little was RIGHT in the Disney movie...)

    I don't think I'm setting up a straw man, because no single action takes place in a vacuum. I think if the fan base is more behind the team, then it is easier to find a buyer in Seattle (so the sale to Bennett isn't the only option) OR easier to convince the city to spring for an arena (which, I admit, is much less likely because of the city finances at the time). Even if the immediate cause of the move was $$$, Clay Bennett being the only option available with $$$ didn't appear out of nowhere.

    Even if we discard the move as an EFFECT of losing, the point for this thread is that the OKC Thunder clearly had nothing to lose by playing their youngest guys. I think from Gnome's post it looks like they had pretty much no one but younger guys - which is the way you have to do it, in my opinion, because it is the only way to keep your locker room from getting bad because guys who think they deserve to play don't want to sit on the bench in service to some future.

    To be in that situation the Pacers not only have to be in a position where they have little left to lose by losing - say, next year for sure - but also have to be in a position where they can get rid of all the players that aren't part of the future. All of them, not just one or two and bench the others. That legitimately won't happen until either the trade deadline or when the contracts expire.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  7. #30
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last year Rasho was still starting over Hibbert sometimes and Josh wasn't getting on the floor after official elimination. I remember because I was furious. Expect nothing to change.
    The Pacers were eliminated from the playoffs when they lost to Atlanta and Detroit beat New Jersey on April 10th last year.

    Rasho started exactly one game last season after December 12: March 7th at the Clippers. Roy missed that game to attend a funeral.

    After sitting for the better part of two months last season, McRoberts played in 12 of the teams final 13 games. He only played 23 seconds against Washington, and the DNP-CD came in the Atlanta loss. He played all three games after the "official" elimination.

  8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:


  9. #31
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,255

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Pacers were eliminated from the playoffs when they lost to Atlanta and Detroit beat New Jersey on April 10th last year.

    Rasho started exactly one game last season after December 12: March 7th at the Clippers. Roy missed that game to attend a funeral.

    After sitting for the better part of two months last season, McRoberts played in 12 of the teams final 13 games. He only played 23 seconds against Washington, and the DNP-CD came in the Atlanta loss. He played all three games after the "official" elimination.
    In hindsight I was probably furious because I was going off when I felt we were "reasonably" eliminated from the playoffs as opposed to officially, I didn't realize it was that late in the season. The good news is we should be officially eliminated a little earlier this year.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  10. #32
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,165

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Back on topic, our elimination from the playoffs "magic number" is 3.



    Photobucket
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  12. #33
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,903

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In hindsight I was probably furious because I was going off when I felt we were "reasonably" eliminated from the playoffs as opposed to officially, I didn't realize it was that late in the season. The good news is we should be officially eliminated a little earlier this year.
    They were officially eliminated on April 10th, but they only played 3 games after that. So Josh started playing well before the official elimination - 9 games or March 20th.

    We are going to see a lot of Josh and AJ the rest of the way.

  13. #34

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They were officially eliminated on April 10th, but they only played 3 games after that. So Josh started playing well before the official elimination - 9 games or March 20th.

    We are going to see a lot of Josh and AJ the rest of the way.
    I am curious about why you think that? What have you seen that would make you think that these guys would get alot of PT? Espcially Josh. Do you have some inside info, or just a hunch.

    I am subscribing to the secret tank theory that our young guys are too good to play right now in a far-fetched effort to justify Jim's intelligence. So unless they are playing out of position, AJ at SF or Josh at C with a small lineup, I don't see it happening.

    I hope you are right because it would at least make the games interesting to watch again!

  14. #35
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,762

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Back on topic, our elimination from the playoffs "magic number" is 3.



    Photobucket
    This may be the single best post I have ever seen.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  16. #36
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OKC did it right! They sat vets that were not part of their future like Earl Watson and let the young guys take their lumps early on getting them tuned up for when it mattered... Like this year.
    Hmmm . . . I remember Watson being set down last year. Maybe Bird promised him he wouldn't be set down if he signed with us.

    He tells JOB that, so JOB is being fair and not setting any of the vets. Just a thought.

    Nah I don't believe that. Bird doesn't tell his coaches how to coach, so I don't believe he would promise Watson that Job wouldn't set him down.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 02-26-2010 at 10:52 PM.

  17. #37
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,416

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    it would be interesting to see if the pacers would release some of their veterans (earl and luther, and maybe travis) in time for monday's deadline to allow them to sign with another team. that would certainly be an indication that we're going to give the young players time.

    with the extra roster spots, we could take a look at a few dleague prospects on 10 day contracts. after all, what else does the team expect to accomplish the rest of the season. we might as well see if we could find a diamond in the rough or two.

  18. #38

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone know?

    I'm curious to see what, if anything, changes with our approach to each game once we are mathematically eliminated, so I wanted to know what the "magic number" was to where we are officially eliminated.

    Thanks
    Hicks, I think to find an insight on this, one need only look to how JOB managed the 82nd game last season. Down by 17 points, the Pacers (already out of the playoffs) came back to beat the Bucks (who were also already out of the playoffs).

    This 'win' cost them the 10th pick (whom the Bucks used on Brandon Jennings).

    So I have absolutely NO optimism that anything sensible will come of these last 20+ games...JOB will play players who are NOT going to be part of our future, while the younger potentially core players gain no experience.

    And if another 82nd game comes up like last year's scenario, I have no doubt he would try to win it again, even if going in he knew it might cost us the #1 pick.

  19. #39
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,343

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    it would be interesting to see if the pacers would release some of their veterans (earl and luther, and maybe travis) in time for monday's deadline to allow them to sign with another team. that would certainly be an indication that we're going to give the young players time.

    with the extra roster spots, we could take a look at a few dleague prospects on 10 day contracts. after all, what else does the team expect to accomplish the rest of the season. we might as well see if we could find a diamond in the rough or two.
    Earl and Luther aren't going anywhere. I could see Travis being bought out but I'd doubt they'd sign anyone else.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  20. #40
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    The bad magic number, which I think I will call our necro number, is now 8, linking us with the Chicago Bulls.

    Per Mike Wells in his blog:

    Meanwhile, the magic number is eight for the Pacers being eliminated from the playoffs. It is a combination of losses and/or Chicago Bulls wins.
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...-college-teams

    Chicago is currently 8th in the east at 31-31 to our 14th and 20-43.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 07:56 AM
  2. Youtube: Pacers vs Hawks 1994 EC Semi Final game 6
    By circlecitysportsfan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 02:17 AM
  3. Pacers problematic for C's in playoffs (bostonherald.com)
    By drewdawg in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 06:36 PM
  4. Top 10 Playoffs Storylines
    By TheSauceMaster in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 08:46 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •