Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

  1. #1
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Does anyone know?

    I'm curious to see what, if anything, changes with our approach to each game once we are mathematically eliminated, so I wanted to know what the "magic number" was to where we are officially eliminated.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Tuesday?

  3. #3
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,273

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    John Hollinger's playoff odds have us at 0.0% already.

    http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  4. #4
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    John Hollinger's playoff odds have us at 0.0% already.

    http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds
    Gawd, look at Oklahoma City.

  5. #5
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,273

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    What's most depressing is looking at Utah and then seeing that they have a better chance at winning the lottery at this point.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  6. #6
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's most depressing is looking at Utah and then seeing that they have a better chance at winning the lottery at this point.
    Yeah, this season has been different to say the least. But I still can't believe the turn-around that OKC has had this year. I mean goodness.

  7. #7
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    John Hollinger's playoff odds have us at 0.0% already.

    http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds
    He hates us, but I don't blame him in this situatuon.

  8. #8
    Member Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    883

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What's most depressing is looking at Utah and then seeing that they have a better chance at winning the lottery at this point.
    How so?

    Edit: nevermind. I see they have NY's pick

  9. #9
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    By simplest route (last two playoff teams have 29 wins, we have 39 losses), it's basically 14.

    Charlotte is in 9th with only 27 wins, so their magic number to elimate us is 16.

    This assumes we lose tiebreakers with these teams ,which we've lost 3 games apiece to Miami & Milwaukee, and we've split with Charlotte.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:


  11. #10
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by EmCeE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How so?
    They've got the Knicks pick, and Hollinger must be projecting the Knicks to finish worse than us.

  12. #11
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,468

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    NYs pick isn't lottery protected?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  13. #12
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    NYs pick isn't lottery protected?
    Isiah

    > Suns — Traded Stephon Marbury, Anfernee Hardaway, Cezary Trybanski to Knicks for Antonio McDyess, Maciej Lampe, Howard Eisley, Charlie Ward, rights to Milos Vujanic, 2004 first round pick (#16-Kirk Snyder), 2006 protected first round pick (top 25 in 2006, top 24 in 2007, top 23 in 2008, top 22 in 2009, unprotected 2010) (?-?), $3M cash on 2004-01-05

  14. #13
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, this season has been different to say the least. But I still can't believe the turn-around that OKC has had this year. I mean goodness.
    OKC did it right! They sat vets that were not part of their future like Earl Watson and let the young guys take their lumps early on getting them tuned up for when it mattered... Like this year.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:


  16. #14
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OKC did it right! They sat vets that were not part of their future like Earl Watson and let the young guys take their lumps early on getting them tuned up for when it mattered... Like this year.
    I can't do anything about it. I'd love to see Roy, Brandon, and AJ out there! I really would!

  17. #15
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,468

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OKC did it right! They sat vets that were not part of their future like Earl Watson and let the young guys take their lumps early on getting them tuned up for when it mattered... Like this year.
    And moved.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  18. #16
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And moved.
    They moved the summer before last season started. Gnome is right.

  19. #17
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,273

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And moved.
    You're paranoid.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  20. #18
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're paranoid.
    Well, he does have a lot of reasons to be. I can't blame him. I am sort of on the same mindset as Bill. It's not really the attendance or whatever, it's the CIB.

  21. #19
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And moved.
    ...and once again, you're incorrect.

    Yeah, they moved, but that is before they parked their vets. Anywho, they moved because Howard Schultz wants to pretend that he didn't know who he was selling the Sonics to. Clay Bennett moving them had absolutely nothing to do with how the fan base reacted to basketball decisions being made in the Front Office or on the Floor.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  22. #20
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,478

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And moved.

    That had absolutely *NOTHING* to do with who was playing.

  23. #21
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,471

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And moved.
    I understand your paranoia, but I think Shultz desperately wanted out of the NBA for other reasons.

    You can argue that like the Pacers, the Sonics weren't making any money at the time, but I don't think any NBA team other than LAC makes money.

    Anyway, looking at attendance and support now, it doesn't appear to be any better than during the worst days of Stephen Jackson and Jamal Tinsley, everyone remaining is an absolute diehard, I don't think it could get worse, and I don't think our record would even be any worse with the young guys playing.

  24. #22
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,468

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and once again, you're incorrect.

    Yeah, they moved, but that is before they parked their vets. Anywho, they moved because Howard Schultz wants to pretend that he didn't know who he was selling the Sonics to. Clay Bennett moving them had absolutely nothing to do with how the fan base reacted to basketball decisions being made in the Front Office or on the Floor.
    I have been trying to find year-by-year rosters to see who actually sat in 2008-2009 that perhaps should have played more minutes, and it would take more time than I have to analyze. At one level, you are right, they played Durant and the young guys they'd gotten by sucking in their previous city. On the other hand, they'd lost 62 games in 2007-2008, they weren't going to do worse, they had a #2 pick to play (not a #13 pick), AND they were in a new city that was so hyped up they would have sold out even if they lost 82 games. Different much from our situation?

    Yes, the sale moved the team. But if a team that basically had only a couple of losing seasons before a sale (not counting 2006-2007 since the sale was in 2006) can't find a new owner who will keep them in the same city, city, why does everyone think it is ludicrous that we'd be in worse shape after multiple losing seasons?

    I hate using OKC as the shining example of how a franchise should do business on the floor. Tank, get your city to hate you, move, and then take advantage of the fervor in the new city. Works for Las Vegas, I guess.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  25. #23
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and once again, you're incorrect.

    Yeah, they moved, but that is before they parked their vets. Anywho, they moved because Howard Schultz wants to pretend that he didn't know who he was selling the Sonics to. Clay Bennett moving them had absolutely nothing to do with how the fan base reacted to basketball decisions being made in the Front Office or on the Floor.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been trying to find year-by-year rosters to see who actually sat in 2008-2009 that perhaps should have played more minutes, and it would take more time than I have to analyze. At one level, you are right, they played Durant and the young guys they'd gotten by sucking in their previous city. On the other hand, they'd lost 62 games in 2007-2008, they weren't going to do worse, they had a #2 pick to play (not a #13 pick), AND they were in a new city that was so hyped up they would have sold out even if they lost 82 games. Different much from our situation?

    Yes, the sale moved the team. But if a team that basically had only a couple of losing seasons before a sale (not counting 2006-2007 since the sale was in 2006) can't find a new owner who will keep them in the same city, city, why does everyone think it is ludicrous that we'd be in worse shape after multiple losing seasons?

    I hate using OKC as the shining example of how a franchise should do business on the floor. Tank, get your city to hate you, move, and then take advantage of the fervor in the new city. Works for Las Vegas, I guess.
    Well, the only vet they didn't play was Watson, who they sat for awhile. Still, he average 26 minutes a night in 67 games. In fact, the midseason banishment was actually pretty similar to what O'Brien did with Ford.

    Also, he was moved out of the lineup looks like around March 11th or so, after they lost to the Nuggets to drop to 18-47. The last team to make the playoffs last year in the West won 48 games, so they'd been out of any realistic playoff hunt for weeks, if not months, by the time they benched Watson.

    Also, Westbrook's minutes didn't go up any (actually lower per game in March than Feb), so it looks like a big chunk of the minutes went to Chucky Atkins.

    (Edit - they had 21 players on their roster last year. I can't quite tell who was there when. Their core young players: Durant, Green, and Westbrook, all were playing heavy minutes from the time they came in the league. Of course, you're talking about the 2nd, 5th, and 4th picks in the draft, respectively.)
    Last edited by count55; 02-26-2010 at 01:34 PM.

  26. #24
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been trying to find year-by-year rosters to see who actually sat in 2008-2009 that perhaps should have played more minutes, and it would take more time than I have to analyze. At one level, you are right, they played Durant and the young guys they'd gotten by sucking in their previous city. On the other hand, they'd lost 62 games in 2007-2008, they weren't going to do worse, they had a #2 pick to play (not a #13 pick), AND they were in a new city that was so hyped up they would have sold out even if they lost 82 games. Different much from our situation?

    Yes, the sale moved the team. But if a team that basically had only a couple of losing seasons before a sale (not counting 2006-2007 since the sale was in 2006) can't find a new owner who will keep them in the same city, city, why does everyone think it is ludicrous that we'd be in worse shape after multiple losing seasons?

    I hate using OKC as the shining example of how a franchise should do business on the floor. Tank, get your city to hate you, move, and then take advantage of the fervor in the new city. Works for Las Vegas, I guess.
    Do you have any evidence to suggest that the reason no one saved the day in Seattle was the result of losing seasons?

    Because everything I've read or watched on the subject said it all had to do with money, not the culture of the team (winning, losing, liked, unliked).

  27. #25
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,933

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: What is our elimination from the playoffs "magic number"?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have been trying to find year-by-year rosters to see who actually sat in 2008-2009 that perhaps should have played more minutes, and it would take more time than I have to analyze. At one level, you are right, they played Durant and the young guys they'd gotten by sucking in their previous city. On the other hand, they'd lost 62 games in 2007-2008, they weren't going to do worse, they had a #2 pick to play (not a #13 pick), AND they were in a new city that was so hyped up they would have sold out even if they lost 82 games. Different much from our situation?

    Yes, the sale moved the team. But if a team that basically had only a couple of losing seasons before a sale (not counting 2006-2007 since the sale was in 2006) can't find a new owner who will keep them in the same city, city, why does everyone think it is ludicrous that we'd be in worse shape after multiple losing seasons?

    I hate using OKC as the shining example of how a franchise should do business on the floor. Tank, get your city to hate you, move, and then take advantage of the fervor in the new city. Works for Las Vegas, I guess.

    Thing is Bill... Once the team was sold to an OKC business group, it didn't matter if the place was 100% capacity every night.... They were going to be moving unless a new building was built. It didn't matter if Seattle had the 72-10 Bulls with droves of fans... The Sonics were not long for Seattle under that ownership group.

    Before you even suggest it, Schultz selling had NOTHING to do with the fan base or decisions that had to do with how or what players were on the floor. As Hicks just pointed out, all the move had to do with was money, in the form of a new arena to keep them in Seattle, or a guy bringing his hometown someone else's team which would generate him.... $$Money$$

    Wrong straw man for this argument, I'm gonna light him on fire every time you post him up here!
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 02-26-2010 at 01:34 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2009, 07:56 AM
  2. Youtube: Pacers vs Hawks 1994 EC Semi Final game 6
    By circlecitysportsfan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 01:17 AM
  3. Pacers problematic for C's in playoffs (bostonherald.com)
    By drewdawg in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 06:36 PM
  4. Top 10 Playoffs Storylines
    By TheSauceMaster in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2004, 08:46 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-13-2004, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •