Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers' youth movement hasn't stalled/Bruno

Banned

Default Pacers' youth movement hasn't stalled/Bruno

http://my.nba.com/cms/111298/pacers_..._hasnt_stalled

Pacers' youth movement hasn't stalled

To Jim O'Brien, it is not an either-or proposition.

Either you try to win as many games as possible, or you throw your young guys out there to give them experience.

The two ideas are not disparate. They are linked.

"It's about winning and getting the guys on our team to understand what it takes to win, what it takes to beat good basketball teams," said O'Brien. "If that's the focus, everything falls into place.

"Player development falls into place because you're not going to beat good basketball teams unless your core group is improving. You're not going to beat good basketball teams unless guys understand the commitment that it takes on a daily basis in film sessions and practice to incrementally improve individually and as a team. Winning cures all."

Though fans regularly call for more time for young players, it's not as if they've been withering on the vine.

Brandon Rush leads the team in minutes. Roy Hibbert has started 47 games. So the second-year guys are moving right along.

A.J. Price had a 20-game run as the backup point guard, averaging 9.2 points and 2.4 assists, an extraordinary opportunity for a late second-round pick. With T.J. Ford's resurgence, Price has dropped out of the rotation but his place in the team's future plans already is established.

Solomon Jones has picked up time of late, getting 20-plus minutes in consecutive games for the first time this season, and Josh McRoberts likewise seems to be in line for additional opportunities.

McRoberts played 16 minutes Monday in Dallas (producing seven points, five rebounds and three assists) and was the first big man off the bench Friday in New Orleans. Generally speaking, he has been productive when called upon, though the occasions have been sporadic.

"I guess you'd say it's given me more confidence, I guess, or confidence that when I'm called on I know I can go out there and be productive," said McRoberts. "I know I can play. It's just a matter of getting the opportunity and making the most of it.

"I just stay ready for when my number's called. That's what they have me here to do. That's what everybody's here to do. It's part of the job."

Jones played a key role in the victory over Houston Saturday with his energy and activity under the basket. In the last two games he's totaled 41 minutes, 11 points, six rebounds and three blocks.

"It's the NBA. I've got to be ready," said Jones. "You never know when it's your time. You just stay focused, play my hardest and bring energy to the team.

"I can't control my minutes. The only thing I can do is control how I play in practice and when I do get into games. I'm mentally strong."

And then there's Tyler Hansbrough, who most certainly would be playing 20-plus minutes a night had his rookie season not been truncated by an inner ear infection.

The youth movement may not be in overdrive, but neither has it stalled.

Default Re: Pacers' youth movement hasn't stalled/Bruno

LMFAO

seriously..seems like Bruno just types PR.

How the heck hasn't it stalled. JOB is playing McBob and Solo now because he pretty much has too.

He's not playing Rush or Roy as much as he could. He's not playing AJ at all. And DJones is gonna be here for a while now too, and he's lost minutes to Head.

Nice try Bruno..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm pretty sure Bruno is a PR guy...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Sobchak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sobchak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm pretty sure Bruno is a PR guy...
    well that would make sense..

but I swear..do they think Pacer's fans are dumb?

Mood

I saw the headline on pacers.com and refused to click on it, as I have now refused to read the pasted article here.

What a joke.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Pacers' youth movement hasn't stalled
    And the cow jumped over the moon.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow Bruno, there is no reason for them not to be playing McRoberts, and yet you don't really have much to say there except he has been called on, "at times."

McRoberts needs to be playing consistently, dammit.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Some might say Watson/Ford/Murphy/Dunleavy still have lots of youth left.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I saw the headline on pacers.com and refused to click on it, as I have now refused to read the pasted article here.

What a joke.
    same here.................

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post

What a joke.
    Apparently there is an increasing awareness of the dissatisfaction regarding the lack of playing time that our young "non-core" players have been receiving, and the franchise apparently felt it prudent to address and refute that viewpoint publicly. It was posted on the franchise website, and I am certain that the content had to be approved by employees there, so yes I am sure that it was a typical PR piece. But, maybe we are getting somewhere!

Bruno did his job, I guess, but most of us who actually follow the team understand that there is a lot more to the issue of young guys playing time than just this year regardless of their support for the way things have gone or the opposing viewpoint that many of us share that the decisions by our coaching staff regarding playing time for young players is actually hindering player development and harming the future of those players and our franchise as a whole.

I agree with you, though, what a joke .

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

That's what we call yellow rain. It's special just for you.

MF please. Rush is leading in minutes because DUN, TROY AND DANNY HAVE BEEN INJURED. Danny and Troy are clearly ahead of him in MPG, and Watson is nipping at his heels. That's 2 dudes that aren't supposed to be here by the end of next season.

F*ing Rasho got MORE MINUTES THAN ROY LAST YEAR.

Mario Chalmers in Miami rookie year - 2626 minutes
    Darren Collison this year - 23 MPG BEFORE PAUL GOT HURT, he's getting almost 40 now (psst, do the Pacers have a Chris Paul?)
    Jrue "not ready yet" Holiday - 872 minutes so far
    Eric Maynor - 363 minutes just in Utah behind Deron
    Aaron Brooks his rookie year for Houston - 608 minutes in 51 games for a playoff team (and Landry got 711) with Skip starting and pulling huge minutes

AJ Price - 503, for 15 a game when he gets to play

These are not top 10 PGs, nor are they in better situations in terms of talent ahead of him and/or playoff chances.

Wait...still more to be mad about. They drafted AJ, they saw AJ play great in summer league, and THEN they went and signed the almost-retired Earl Watson instead of just letting Price fill that role. Oh, and tossed Luther Head onto the pile too.

That dog won't hunt around here. This isn't even in the ballpark. You draft Roy Hibbert and play him less minutes than "am I still breathing, I'll just wait here till you come back" Rasho, you are NOT developing him. This is not Hibbert behind Smits, this is Smits after they lost Stipo. What did they do? They just played the hell out of Smits and let him learn because why the heck not.

Rush got a nice 1800 last year, but then that was due 100% to Dun and Quis being injured. Ditto this year for guys.

On top of that they get undermined no matter how they play. IMO JOB is not comfortable developing guys, he's playing them because he's forced to. Most coaches would have had Rush at close to 2500 minutes last year and this year, Roy at 1800-2000 last year (instead of 1000), and Price getting 1000 this year at least (or TPTB would have let him get 1600-1700 backing up Ford rather than spending for Watson with Diener already here).

Rush gets blasted by JOB, but he shot 37% from 3 last year and is 38% from 3 this year. You think that has something to do with his playing time just maybe?

Rush had 11 games over 30 minutes in the first 69 last year. He had 15 games of under 10 minutes in the same set of games (22 games under 15 minutes, 7 DNP at all).

Then in the final 13 games he played 12 of them for more than 30 minutes. Think about it. That's a crazy playoff push and only when things looked really doubtful he suddenly became needed again which really bumped up his season minutes total.

The first 5 weeks of 2009, not the first few weeks of the season mind you but well into the season, he played only 1 game of more than 15 minutes (16).

Hmm, who returned from injury around then?

I'm losing it over how insulting this crap is.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 02-23-2010 at 09:36 PM.

15. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Brandon Rush leads the team in minutes.
    Because he's not been injured.

Troy has logged 1449 minutes in 46 games (31.5mpg)
    Brandon has logged 1606 minutes in 56 games (28.67mpg)

If Troy had played as many games as Brandon, he'd have something like 1764 minutes and Brandon's 1606 would have gone down (since Troy would have taken some of those minutes). In games where they both played, Troy played more minutes in 29 games while Rush played more minutes in 23 games.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Seth,

Preach it brother. I can't stand it either.

That said, I think we need to keep in mind that this is what Bruno is paid to do when he is posting on pacers.com, which is to present the company line consistently and with the purpose of altering public perceptions when they turn increasingly negative towards the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Seth,

Preach it brother. I can't stand it either.

That said, I think we need to keep in mind that this is what Bruno is paid to do when he is posting on pacers.com, which is to present the company line consistently and with the purpose of altering public perceptions when they turn increasingly negative towards the franchise.
    Problem is it's a blantant lie, and just upsets fans more.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Problem is it's a blantant lie, and just upsets fans more.
    Eh. It's spin. It is what it is. You don't read Pacers.com for hard-hitting investigative journalism. I actually view this as a step forward... at least the Pacers are acknowledging that their fans want to see the younger players. That's more than they've done in the past.

I'm positive Bruno and others in the Pacers communication machine keep tabs on the mood of this board.

Bruno, if you're out there, we know this was a puff piece and don't begrudge it. You're just doing your job. But please know that nobody's buying it. Pass the word on: the fans have already given up on winning enough games to get into the playoffs. We want to see the kids.

Plus, quite a few of us believe that we'd have made the playoffs last year if we'd played the kids MORE (not less). I don't know if that would be true this year, as it's hard to imagine us making the playoffs either way. But I certainly can't see us being a WORSE team with more minutes going to our projects.

Bring on the future already.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

21. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I hope Bruno and TPTB read this thread and browse this forum. I imagine they do since we are the only fans they have left that actually care.

So yeah, we call BS.

P.S. Fire Jim

23. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

The timing of this article is telling. Right after the trade deadline...when it's too late to dump Murphy...now we get a shift. I love this statement:

"Solomon Jones has picked up time of late, getting 20-plus minutes in consecutive games for the first time this season, and Josh McRoberts likewise seems to be in line for additional opportunities."

Why has this happened all of the sudden? Tyler and Jeff have been unavailable for a very long time...and the Pacers seemed just fine having a midget playing PF.

Do you want the truth? Can you handle it...the impurity of it all?

This is all about money....as usual....specifically Troy Murphy's contract. Ok, the truth is out. The Pacers were trying to trade Troy...and giving significant minutes to McBob and Solo meant sitting Troy on the bench...and upsetting the fans when he went back in. Since the deadline has passed, this is no longer a factor.

This also explains why JOb never retried the same lineup that won 5 straight games earlier this season. Never. Even. Tried. It.

Remember, folks...the NBA is a business.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    P.S. Fire Jim
    I'd settle for no more extensions for the love of God! Who knows what they're capable of?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

If we go on any sort of 4 or 5 game winning streak from now until the end of the season I will be a tiny bit upset.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Now go back and read my rant elsewhere about them dragging out the playoff lip service so long that it flys in the face of all reality. Same thing here. You just can't make a claim that is patently untrue and be expected to be taken seriously.

This kind of bogus, falsification PR is just counterproductive. Tell the truth. Somebody refuses to go all out for developing young guys with game experience. What reason is there not to do so at this point?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

29. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Mood

P.S. Pacers Brass -

We're not just pissed about minutes played. I'd say we are at least as annoyed by the fact that the young guys are not consistently being put in a position to succeed when they are out there. See:

Playing Hibbert with Murphy, which puts extra defensive pressure on the big guy

Playing AJ in a 2 PG lineup, making him the off guard

Jerking around Rush's playing time partly based on his shot attempts rather than utilizing his "do a little bit of everything and plays nice defense" skill set.

Running an offensive system that bears little resemblance to a traditional structure, which most of us think would benefit the growth of the young guys the most. You know, those guys who played multiple years in structured college systems?

Talking out of both sides of your mouth/maddening us with your inability to match your talk to your actions or your actions with what we see on the court. People in general operate better in a consistent environment. Younger people specifically are more likely to thrive when expectations and actions are clear and predictable. From what we can see from out here, JOB cannot/does not provide that.

And that's just off the top of my head.
    Last edited by gummy; 02-23-2010 at 11:14 PM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

31. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I want to know when in the world is Tyler getting back? How can he get his ears fixed?

In the meantime, we're not going anywhere so do everyone on the team a favor and play some new guys Jim.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I want to know when in the world is Tyler getting back? How can he get his ears fixed?
    If the infection significantly damaged his inner ear

-which we can assume since he has been out so long and the reports say it is due to the ear issue..unless you want to speculate that the team is not telling the truth about what is going on -

The thing that will fix it is time. The infection is most likely long gone and Tyler is dealing with the aftermath. It takes time for the brain to adapt to the damage and restore a consistent sense of balance. And, if the damage is bad enough, he may have recurring bouts of vertigo for a long time to come.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    If the infection significantly damaged his inner ear

-which we can assume since he has been out so long and the reports say it is due to the ear issue..unless you want to speculate that the team is not telling the truth about what is going on -

The thing that will fix it is time. The infection is most likely long gone and Tyler is dealing with the aftermath. It takes time for the brain to adapt to the damage and restore a consistent sense of balance. And, if the damage is bad enough, he may have recurring bouts of vertigo for a long time to come.
    I'm beginning to accept this situation fully, but man is it depressing.

The kid was going to have a tough time even if his body fully cooperated, but to not even have a chance to play, practice, or even work out? Man.....

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    Probably. It's within the realm of possibility that this will be a career-ending injury. I don't think it's likely, but it's possible.

Enjoy your time at PD!