Thread: O'Brien talks about Price, PGs

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default O'Brien talks about Price, PGs

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/

(Mike Wells blog)
    HOUSTON - I got some emails from people complaining about Ford dancing around outside the team plane when he thought he was going to be traded.

Can you blame him for being happy about possibly being traded?

He would have went from a team headed to the lottery to one that could be headed to the playoffs.

We'll push Ford possibly being traded to the side until this summer.

He carried the Pacers down the stretch in their victory over Rockets while playing in front of a lot of friends and family members. He was part of 16 of the Pacers' final 20 points.

"We were calling his number every time," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said. "They were having difficulty guarding our spread pick-and-roll game. T.J. was either scoring or finding open people and we were knocking down shots."

Ford looked comfortable out there looking for his shot and his teammates. His three assists came late when the Pacers were pulling away.

"It always means a lot to me to come back to Houston and have a big game in front of family and friends," he said.

Speaking of point guards, O'Brien plans to continue to leave rookie A.J. Price on the bench for the time being while he rolls with Ford and Earl Watson.

"(Price) will get his minutes," O'Brien said. "Earl and T.J. by far give us defensively what every coach would want, and I think defensive intensity is a key ingredient for us."

Price hasn't played since Feb. 6, but he's keeping a positive outlook about the situation.

"I have to handle it like a professional," he said. "It's how it goes sometimes. I know as a rookie, especially, things are going to be up and down. I'm just trying to stay professional and ready and take it for what it is."
    Found this to be an interesting read posted by Mike Wells.

EDIT: Another good read by Wells.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...rn-in-rotation

HOUSTON -- Indiana Pacers rookie point guard A.J. Price will play again this season.

Coach Jim O'Brien plans to put Price, who already has turned into a fan favorite, back in the rotation at some point during the final 27 games of the season.

When that's going to happen is anybody's guess right now.

O'Brien said he prefers to stick with veterans T.J. Ford and Earl Watson for the time being because he likes the defensive intensity the two bring.

"(Price) will get his minutes," O'Brien said. "Earl and T.J. by far give us defensively what every coach would want, and I think defensive intensity is a key ingredient for us."

Price got his shot in the rotation when Ford was demoted from starter to third string in late December.

Price showed the Pacers may have gotten a steal in the second round when he averaged 9.3 points and 2.6 assists in 21 games while in the rotation.

His spot in the rotation became complicated when Ford played well in the two games before the All-Star break while Watson was away dealing with a death in the family.

Price hasn't played since Feb. 6 at Milwaukee.

"I have to handle it like a professional," he said. "It's how it goes sometimes. I know as a rookie, especially, things are going to be up and down. I'm just trying to stay professional and be ready and take it for what it is."

The Pacers were impressed with the way Price ran the pick-and-roll.

Two things that stood out, according to O'Brien, is Price's defense and assist-to-turnover ratio (1.68-1). O'Brien said Price needs to get better defensively, which will come with more playing time.

"He showed some positives and some negatives," O'Brien said. "He showed the ability to shoot the basketball and space the court. I think he got some good experience playing some good guards in the league. He's ahead of the program for where he was drafted."

There's no reason to believe Price won't get back in the rotation, especially since the Pacers are on their way to having a lottery pick in this summer's draft.

"Playing did a lot for me," he said. "It did a lot for me on how I'm perceived by the organization and the rest of the league. It showed I'm able to play in this league."
    Last edited by Trophy; 02-22-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Default Re: O'Brien talks about Price, PGs

I hate to get into this. But, look at this:

Speaking of point guards, O'Brien plans to continue to leave rookie A.J. Price on the bench for the time being while he rolls with Ford and Earl Watson.

Mike Wells says O'Brien plans to leave Price on the bench, and then immediately quotes O'Brien saying "Price will get his minutes."

Why should we trust what Mike Wells says? I'm losing confidence in his ability to fairly and fully communicate what is happening in the locker room.

And what I'm complaining about may be the difference between a blog post and a newspaper article. There's a noticeable difference is depth, balance and thoroughness..

Last edited by Putnam; 02-22-2010 at 02:39 PM.
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Putnam For This Useful Post:

As soon as our ***-clown of a coach is gone I'll be happier...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If TJ and Earl give every coach what he expects defensively, then WTF were you doing sitting TJ in the first place?

What JOb does, makes zero sense.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

So I guess Watson and Ford play good defense now? It doesn't matter if the team doesn't make it to the defensive side of the floor for the rest of the season, we aren't making the playoffs Jim! Play Price and get him some experience!

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by Putnam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate to get into this. But, look at this:

Mike Wells says O'Brien plans to leave Price on the bench, and then immediately quotes O'Brien saying "Price will get his minutes."

Why should we trust what Mike Wells says? I'm losing confidence in his ability to fairly and fully communicate what is happening in the locker room.

And what I'm complaining about may be the difference between a blog post and a newspaper article. There's a noticeable difference is depth, balance and thoroughness..

JOB is saying before the season is out Price will be back in the regular rotation

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    If TJ and Earl give every coach what he expects defensively, then WTF were you doing sitting TJ in the first place?

I don't think JOB has free reign, Front Office tells him what to do. This is the reason he has not been fired. I feel the Pacers have been tanking the season to secure a better draft pick due to the benching of Ford, & Tyler's mysterious injury prone rookie campaign. Face it kid has never been hurt till we drafted him!! Granger missing tonights game for personal reasons with no return date seals the deal for me.

Exactly...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

If Ford and Watson give every coach what he expects defensively, then WTF were you doing sitting Ford in the first place?
    According to JO'B before....it was to see what AJ could do....they got an idea....then decided to go back to his regular rotation of Watson/Ford.

What makes sense to us may make total sense to JO'B. But let's approach this from an objective POV.

If all of you were to rank the individual Offense of each of our PGs ( Watson, Ford, Price, Diener ), who would be the best and who would be the worst?

If all of you were to rank the individual Defense of each of our PGs ( Watson, Ford, Price, Diener ), who would be the best and who would be the worst?

What I'm trying to get at is....is the individual Offense and ( especially ) Defense of Watson or Ford so much better then AJ's Offense and Defense that JO'B has a legit argument to play them ahead of AJ in the PG rotation?

I'm guessing that there isn't much argument when it comes to Watson being the Starting or Backup PG and it will come down to whose Offense and Defense is better.....Ford and Price. Although I would love to play Price ahead of Ford.....the problem is that unless I can see very strong arguments to suggest that Price is "heads and shoulders" better then Ford on the Offensive and ( most notably ) the Defensive end....it's difficult to say that one is clearly better then the other ESPECIALLY in the eyes of JO'B who clearly takes factors into consideration ( such as his preference to play a Veteran over a Rookie and knowing that JO'B and the FO is trying to put the best lineup out there to WIN GAMES...not to DEVELOP our young Players ).
    Last edited by CableKC; 02-22-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    JOB is saying before the season is out Price will be back in the regular rotation
    And that's a logical conclusion for JOb to make because of what exactly?

What's the point in playing TJ, if you admit that Price will be taking his spot over again eventually? To make TJ happy? You just tried trading the guy and then just came out and said his spot will be taken from him in the future. I doubt that's going to make him any happier.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    According to JO'B before....it was to see what AJ could do....they got an idea....then decided to go back to his regular rotation of Watson/Ford.

What makes sense to us may make total sense to JO'B.

Let's approach this from an objective POV.

If all of you were to rank the individual Offense of each of our PGs ( Watson, Ford, Price, Diener ), who would be the best and who would be the worst?

If you were to rank the individual Defense of each of our PGs ( Watson, Ford, Price, Diener ), who would be the best and who would be the worst?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is....is the individual Offense and ( especially ) Defense of Watson or Ford so much better then AJ's Offense and Defense that JO'B has a legit argument to play them ahead of AJ in the PG rotation?

I'm guessing that there isn't much argument when it comes to Watson being the Starting or Backup PG and it will come down to whose Offense and Defense is better.....Ford and Price.

Although I would love to play Price ahead of Ford.....the problem is that unless I can see very strong arguments to suggest that Price is "heads and shoulders" better then Ford on the Offensive and ( most notably ) the Defensive end....it's difficult to say that one is clearly better then the other ESPECIALLY in the eyes of JO'B who clearly takes factors into consideration ( such as his preference to play a Veteran over a Rookie and knowing that JO'B and the FO is trying to put the best lineup out there to WIN GAMES...not to DEVELOP our young Players ).
    I understand all that. What doesn't make any sense is JOb then coming back and saying at some point in time AJ will take TJ's spot again?

O'Brien is just a bad, bad coach...It makes no sense at all what he's saying. Could you guys in Indy please start bringing some signs or whatever showing your dissatisfaction when you attend a game?

They won't fire him, I know, but TPTB should at least know what we fans think about how this organisation is handled.

Maybe he's tanking, but how can we develop our young core (who is supposed to be here longer than the Murphys, Fords or Watsons) if they are rotting on the bench?

How can Price get his minutes when Obie believes that Watson and Ford are the best options and he obviously doesn't want to use 3 PGs in one game?

It's impossible...O'Brien gets on my nerves!
    Thank you Jeff.

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I don't think JOB has free reign, Front Office tells him what to do. This is the reason he has not been fired. I feel the Pacers have been tanking the season to secure a better draft pick due to the benching of Ford, & Tyler's mysterious injury prone rookie campaign. Face it kid has never been hurt till we drafted him!! Granger missing tonights game for personal reasons with no return date seals the deal for me.
    Well thats one theory, i guess. I think that everythings with this team is so out of place right now that it only seems that we are tanking. And if the front office is telling our coach what to do, then why are we loosing, why are the things that Bird are saying that need done not being done? I mean they see the money figures.....i dont know........

I just wish we had an answer from the front office on this one! What is the team doing???
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

oh just let this season come to an end already, confusionville is getting old!
    Avatar photo credit: Bahram Mark Sobhani - AP

And that's a logical conclusion for JOb to make because of what exactly?

What's the point in playing TJ, if you admit that Price will be taking his spot over again eventually? To make TJ happy? You just tried trading the guy and then just came out and said his spot will be taken from him in the future. I doubt that's going to make him any happier.
    Ford is playing rather well right now, so that is why he is playing. JOB is not admitting that AJ will take over TJ's spot. Who knows Earl might be benched, or they may start playing 3 pts.

Who knows

I'm happy the issue was address, but I'm very skeptical of the answer to be honest. AJ deserves playing time, and we have openly discussed here how this could happen with Ford and Watson still getting their minutes as well (just put Ford at the 2 for some of the minutes if you have to, but he HAS to keep playing now; he's playing so well). Apparently Watson driving into 3 defenders and Head pulling up for a 3 on practically ALL of the fast breaks they are in charge of is just too enticing for JOB to give up.

So we should question the answer of defensive intensity. Let's look at the month of February alone. We have given up 115, 83, 93, 109, 90, 107, and 115 respectively. Now both times we gave up 115, we still managed to score 125 and 130, but do these totals really reflect defensive intensity? Even if we did win the games, we gave up 115 twice. Its easy to get on the anti-JOB bandwagon, but I think these are legitimate concerns. And I don't think JOB is intentionally trying to lose either...

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Ford is playing rather well right now, so that is why he is playing. JOB is not admitting that AJ will take over TJ's spot. Who knows Earl might be benched, or they may start playing 3 pts.

Who knows
    This is the first realistic thing you've said about JOB in a long time.

Wells had it right. The issue is JOB doesn't see the massive contradiction in "developing a young player" and "getting him minutes" with "not playing for now".

Why will Price play 10 (whatever) games from now? What will be different from now till then?

Either JOB knows that sooner or later Watson or Ford will start playing horrible and need to be benched, or will be hurt, or he's got some unknown and unexplained target point at which AJ will start getting minutes to develop his game.

It's going directly in the face of developing talent which he just said they were going to do.

I hope JOB has to stay here 4 more years so he can keep up his Tim Floyd tank express and reap the benefits of his non-development process.

"For a guy with 4 years experience, this Hibbert kid plays like he just got out of college."
    "Oh, you think so Jim?"

1. This is JOB, and he's decided the pg rotation based on defense....

2. Speaking of defense, this is the same TJ that went way under a screen throughout a whole game giving Hinrich any shot he wanted. The same two defenders that just allowed a rookie to get a tripple double, and hit clutch shots to seal a win for NO. TJ and Earl sound like defensive stoppers.

Sorry, I don't buy it. Earl and TJ may have more defensive skills. And AJ may make "rookie mistakes" but the effort is ALWAYS there for AJ. Not true with TJ. And defense is way more about effort than skills. Besides, how will AJ ever stop having those rookie mistakes if he's not played. Don't we want him to not be making those next season?

Oh, and TJ has played well as a scorer, not a point guard. There's a huge difference.
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-22-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Banned

=Naptown_Seth;963984]

I hope JOB has to stay here 4 more years so he can keep up his Tim Floyd tank express and reap the benefits of his non-development process.

Ford is a game time decision with a sore groin. We will hopefully see Price again tonight...

Hopefully he is even better than we hope and he makes no mistakes and gets great numbers, or back to the bench he goes. Or hell he may even be sent back to it then...Hibbert always stands out in my mind as having big games then being pulled that game or the next...

We could always play them all three at once.
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Ford is a game time decision with a sore groin. We will hopefully see Price again tonight...

Hopefully he is even better than we hope and he makes no mistakes and gets great numbers, or back to the bench he goes. Or hell he may even be sent back to it then...Hibbert always stands out in my mind as having big games then being pulled that game or the next...
    He probably won't play, now, but when he gets his shot..he better make all his threes. HE doesn't really have anything else..just hit the threes.

and don't say "we could always play them all three at once" too loud, despite it being in green JOB might think that one is a good idea.
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-23-2010 at 12:20 AM.