View Poll Results: Team Wall or Team Turner?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Wall

57 63.33%
  • Evan Turner

12 13.33%
  • Ask me after the Washington game at the end of April (dcpacersfan)

5 5.56%
  • Either (GrangeRusHibbert)

15 16.67%
  • Best Player Available When Pacers Have Selection (Brad8888)

1 1.11%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Evan Turner or John Wall

Banned

Default Re: Evan Turner or John Wall

Evan Turner is the best player in college basketball (that I've seen). The most consistent for sure. Wall is all over the place. He "may" have a higher ceiling, but I'm not sure it's a given. Turner is going to be VERY good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Height and wingspan has EVERYTHING to do with defense. Were you ever taught to crotch at the knees and spread your arms out to play D??? You're talking as if he's slow as Roy Hibbert foot speed wise. You're not asking him to run the 100M against other PGs. We're asking him to stay front of his man. Plus, it would be harder to shoot over a taller player. He has "above average" athletism by NBA standards, so it's worth the experiment. Besides, he would be just as much a matchup problem against the other team too. Why do people always think "What the other guy might do to me..." instead "What I can do against the other guy"? That used to make me mad when a coach would try to match me up differently, because of what the other player MIGHT do to me. Why are we adjusting to them??? Make them adjust to me...
    I never said height and wingspan have nothing to do with defense, I said it has very little to do with staying in front of your man. It helps, but by that logic, you could stick Roy Hibbert out on the perimeter and just have him spread his legs and stick his arms out and no one would get around him. Obviously, that's an extreme example, but we have seen this time and time again with oversized point guards in today's NBA--they just don't work.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If not Wall I'd want us to draft Derrick Favors. We need some post defense next to Roy.

I think we're pretty good with wingmen as long as we still keep Brandon.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I never said height and wingspan have nothing to do with defense, I said it has very little to do with staying in front of your man. It helps, but by that logic, you could stick Roy Hibbert out on the perimeter and just have him spread his legs and stick his arms out and no one would get around him. Obviously, that's an extreme example, but we have seen this time and time again with oversized point guards in today's NBA--they just don't work.
    so how Magic did? Lebron is pretty much clevelands PG, D wade is pretty much the Heat PG, Westbrook?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    so how Magic did? Lebron is pretty much clevelands PG, D wade is pretty much the Heat PG, Westbrook?
    Westbrook was drafted to be a PG. Dwade has shifted from PG. and Evan Turner is not Lebron or Magic.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Westbrook was drafted to be a PG. Dwade has shifted from PG. and Evan Turner is not Lebron or Magic.
    I never said that Im just arguing that people keep saying that in this new NBA you can't play a big guy at pg, I also think that Evan Turner would be drafted to be a PG.

I never said that Im just arguing that people keep saying that in this new NBA you can't play a big guy at pg, I also think that Evan Turner would be drafted to be a PG.
    He'll be drafted to be an SF/SG, and most likely, won't ever play point.

Quote Originally Posted by WetBob View Post
    The guy is a longer version of Brandon Roy,
    If he really would be as good as Brandon Roy I'd personally take him #1. Roy is one of my favorites.

Banned

He'll be drafted to be an SF/SG, and most likely, won't ever play point.
    how you know? have you ever seen him playing? or you are arguing with me because of the youtube highlights? I have not seen anything from you that tells me that you seen him playing? ( just asking )

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

If we have the opportunity to select between either one of these two... I'm going to be a pretty happy camper with whoever we choose between the two.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    If we have the opportunity to select between either one of these two... I'm going to be a pretty happy camper with whoever we choose between the two.
    I'll be crying of happiness.............

how you know? have you ever seen him playing? or you are arguing with me because of the youtube highlights? I have not seen anything from you that tells me that you seen him playing? ( just asking )
    Yes I've seen him play. And I also think that Coach's and Gm's in general value the point guard position more than what a lot of people here seem to.

Unless his name is Lebron or Magic Johnson you don't force a SG/SF into a point guard role. Hurts the player and hurts the team. And this kid isn't a point.

Yes I've seen him play. And I also think that Coach's and Gm's in general value the point guard position more than what a lot of people here seem to.

Unless his name is Lebron or Magic Johnson you don't force a SG/SF into a point guard role. Hurts the player and hurts the team. And this kid isn't a point.
    Who's forcing him? He already have the skillsets according early scouting reports.

Banned
    Mood

I really don't have a strong preference either way. It's the cop-out answer, but I'd be extremely happy with either one. If I had to pick one, I'd probably take Wall due to his slightly higher upside.

Banned

Who's forcing him? He already have the skillsets according early scouting reports.
    not just that they guy average 19.5pts 5.8asst and 9.2 reb per game as a PG, how you call that forcing him?

Every SF and SG can dribble the ball up the court and pass it.
    And he's obviously an all around player. But his natural position is not the point.

btw: he's averaging 3.8 turnovers. A 6:4 turnover ratio is not good for a point guard. And that's a huge suggestion that he's not a point guard. And would be better off at his natural position.

Also, quite often scouting reports are just plain wrong. I'm not gonna argue too much about it. Other than, I feel very strongly that he's not a point, and won't play the point in the pros.
    Last edited by Sookie; 02-20-2010 at 09:18 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

As interesting as we might find a debate between John Wall or Evan Turner, I believe the plot really thickens after that. Whom to choose, for example, should we find ourselves drafting at #3?
    * Cousins? I'm suspicious that the PD consensus (not unanimous, but general consensus) would be "no."
    * Favors? Trophy likes him. Seth has soured on him. Again, no consensus, I suspect.
    While I believe the team will win more of our remaining games than many of us are hoping for, I believe we all are in agreement that our draft position, barring a lottery "miracle" or a eye-raising trade, will be between 4th and 10th.

As March Madness approaches, I invite everyone to identify ten players they would love to see in a Pacer uniform next season. Perhaps a consensus pick will emerge--after Wall and Turner--that we can collectively cheer for come Draft Day. (If Tbird's evaluation support's our choice, so much the better.) Or perhaps we'll grow fond of several players ... which will ignite our passion for Draft Day "activity."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

After watching the Kentucky - Vanderbilt game today, I give the nod to Wall. Evan Turner is a great player, I think he will be very good in the NBA. But John Wall just has IT. Did you see his block at the end of the game? That was just ridiculous. Such a good defensive play. He has ice in his veins on both ends of the court, he steps up to any situation.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    After watching the Kentucky - Vanderbilt game today, I give the nod to Wall. Evan Turner is a great player, I think he will be very good in the NBA. But John Wall just has IT. Did you see his block at the end of the game? That was just ridiculous. Such a good defensive play. He has ice in his veins on both ends of the court, he steps up to any situation.
    That is the only thing he did during the whole game, did you watch the whole game or just saw the highlights?

Make a trade with New Orleans to obtain either Collison or Paul then draft Evan Turner. That back court would sizzle!
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Magic was an entirely different era. LeBron is pretty much their PG, but he doesn't guard the opponent's PG, and that's exactly the point I'm making--let Turner be the de facto PG at a different position. Westbrook is a PG playing PG. He's big, but he's not oversized. Yes, there's a difference.

That is the only thing he did during the whole game, did you watch the whole game or just saw the highlights?
    That's been his calling card all season. He comes up with big plays when they matter the most.

Your love for Turner/dislike for Wall is showing through.

to bring some facts to the Turner as PG discussion, he leads the Bucks with 5.8 assists a game

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dal9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    As interesting as we might find a debate between John Wall or Evan Turner, I believe the plot really thickens after that. Whom to choose, for example, should we find ourselves drafting at #3?
    * Cousins? I'm suspicious that the PD consensus (not unanimous, but general consensus) would be "no."
    * Favors? Trophy likes him. Seth has soured on him. Again, no consensus, I suspect.
    While I believe the team will win more of our remaining games than many of us are hoping for, I believe we all are in agreement that our draft position, barring a lottery "miracle" or a eye-raising trade, will be between 4th and 10th.

As March Madness approaches, I invite everyone to identify ten players they would love to see in a Pacer uniform next season. Perhaps a consensus pick will emerge--after Wall and Turner--that we can collectively cheer for come Draft Day. (If Tbird's evaluation support's our choice, so much the better.) Or perhaps we'll grow fond of several players ... which will ignite our passion for Draft Day "activity."
    Wall-Turner-Cousins-Favors in that order right now.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Wall MAY mature.

Turner HAS matured.

Both have signs of being star players, but Turner is ready now. Turner can play with Price, reducing AJ's need to score or even initiate a lot of plays. Turner typically runs close to being a triple double machine, so it's not like he's a selfish player.

Had Wall not had the name "Wall" and was instead "Joe Nobody" on Cal, he wouldn't have climbed to the #1 prospect point with his play this year so far. The fact that anyone is even willing to mention this question now, given Turner's back injury and Wall's hype coming into the year says quite a bit about how each has played so far.

College isn't the NBA, I realize, but the game Turner is playing isn't a college game and he's playing it very well.

I have to admit that I'm rooting for the #2 pick to avoid this issue all together, not unlike the Oden vs Durant draft.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post: