View Poll Results: Team Wall or Team Turner?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Wall

57 63.33%
  • Evan Turner

12 13.33%
  • Ask me after the Washington game at the end of April (dcpacersfan)

5 5.56%
  • Either (GrangeRusHibbert)

15 16.67%
  • Best Player Available When Pacers Have Selection (Brad8888)

1 1.11%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Evan Turner or John Wall

Default Re: Evan Turner or John Wall

Quote Originally Posted by IndyProdigy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he's 5'8" and he was the reason they won.
    he's 5'8" and he was the reason they won.

John Wall has to take the blame for that.
    Him being 5'8" doesn't change the fact I just had to teach you how to read a box score. I don't really have a retort to chanting something like we were in elementary school though.

Enjoy yourself.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    Him being 5'8" doesn't change the fact I just had to teach you how to read a box score. I don't really have a retort to chanting something like we were in elementary school though.

Enjoy yourself.
    My turn.

Box scores don't tell you everything. I'm often guilty of making the same mistake, so I forgive you. The only college games I've watched this year are a few early Hoosiers games and South Carolina games becasue I live there now, and some friends have me watching. I assume you didn't watch the game.

I watched the game because these friends had me hyped up on Devan Downey(the 5'8" guy). I was also looking forward to watching John Wall and Demarcus Cousins, and with a slight emotional investment in the game I tuned in.

Yes, Downey shot 9-29, but Downey is the Gamecocks. He doesn't have the help Wall does. Downey would dribble the shot clock down and then took on the entire Kentucky team for the score. Wall had very little to do with his poor shooting percentage, for his doors were blown off constantly. In fact, he had to stop guarding Downey because many of those free throws were a direct result of Wall fouling him on recovery, leading to early foul trouble. Wall was no match defensively for Devan, and that concerns me for Wall at the next level.

However, Downey is a little known secret in the college world. And I mean little. He will go to some team in the second round most likely, and despite his size he will see playing time at the next level. He is extremely fast in Wall's defense, so Wall is forgiven too. Wall did let him own him no matter what your box score says.

Hope you enjoyed the read.
    Last edited by Noodle; 02-24-2010 at 12:53 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Noodle For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    He's 6'3 and was listed as a PG/SG coming out of college.
    Who's 6'3"? Turner is every bit of 6'7".

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    Who's 6'3"? Turner is every bit of 6'7".
    Westbrook.
    Someone made the argument that Westbrook was not drafted with the thought of being a PG, he definitely was.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    Westbrook.
    Someone made the argument that Westbrook was not drafted with the thought of being a PG, he definitely was.
    I think that was Seth, but he didn't exactly say that. I think in his scouting, that he didn't necessarily see Westbrook as a "true" PG. When he was drafted, I think everyone pretty much figured OKC would play him at PG, which they did, and he has thrived at. Playing with KD doesn't hurt.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    Turner is a good ball-handler, but Im not a fan of having a huge talented scorer playing PG. THey tried that with AI, I think AI was more effective when Snow was playing PG and AI was SG.
    AI was never a distributor. He was always a scorer first.
    There's the difference.
    Turner is a VERY good passer. That said I'd rather have him at 2 and a smaller, faster guy at 1.
    But you could say that about Magic Johnson too.
    And he scored 40 or 50 playing CENTER in a finals game! (Magic)

THe BIG difference here, is that I've seen Turner make game savvy plays. He's a heady player who wants the pressure and has every tool in the book.
    Wall (what I've seen) is immensely talented but has a lot of growing and learning to do.
    MAYBE his upside is higher IF he learns and applies all the lessons that guys like Turner HAVE ALREADY LEARNED.
    So you can draft a player thats going to take (most likely) a couple of years to learn the finer points that he just hasn't had time to master yet.
    Or one that's going to step in and be a factor immediately.
    If they were both JR's and fully ripened and mature, then maybe Wall. But given the couple of years it's going to take.
    On this team.
    Right now.
    Turner

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I think that was Seth, but he didn't exactly say that. I think in his scouting, that he didn't necessarily see Westbrook as a "true" PG. When he was drafted, I think everyone pretty much figured OKC would play him at PG, which they did, and he has thrived at. Playing with KD doesn't hurt.
    I think that's how it would be with Turner, ideally. Play him part of the game at 1 and part at 2. How much at each depending on what else you've got. And how they blend. For us, if Rush continues to improve and Dunleavy gets healed, we just don't need Turner at 2, though he would end up the starter in time. So for us he'd probably get as much diet of PG as he could handle. For other teams with a quality pg already, he'll be an all star 2.
    (Wall can't do that)
    He leads the Big 10 in rebounding (as a GUARD) for gawd's sake, he COULD play 3 and be very good there too.
    (Wall can't do either of these either)

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post
    I think that's how it would be with Turner, ideally. Play him part of the game at 1 and part at 2. How much at each depending on what else you've got. And how they blend. For us, if Rush continues to improve and Dunleavy gets healed, we just don't need Turner at 2, though he would end up the starter in time. So for us he'd probably get as much diet of PG as he could handle. For other teams with a quality pg already, he'll be an all star 2.
    (Wall can't do that)
    He leads the Big 10 in rebounding (as a GUARD) for gawd's sake, he COULD play 3 and be very good there too.
    (Wall can't do either of these either)
    I'm becoming a broken record with this, but I'll say it again: Turner is not a point guard. He could only play the position in a pinch. He has point guard skills, but I don't see why you feel like your primary ball handler must play the point. Let him play SG and handle the ball. That simple.

Wall may not be capable of playing 3 positions...but honestly, who cares? I'd rather have him play 36 minutes of A PG than Turner playing 20 minutes of A SG, 10 minutes of B SF, and 6 minutes of C point guard.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I'm becoming a broken record with this, but I'll say it again: Turner is not a point guard. He could only play the position in a pinch. He has point guard skills, but I don't see why you feel like your primary ball handler must play the point. Let him play SG and handle the ball. That simple.

Wall may not be capable of playing 3 positions...but honestly, who cares? I'd rather have him play 36 minutes of A PG than Turner playing 20 minutes of A SG, 10 minutes of B SF, and 6 minutes of C point guard.
    Agreed. Turner right now is kind playing like a "college Lebron". He's basically the focal point on his team the same way Lebron is in the NBA. He's got the ball in his hands all the time. He's doing it all.

Thing is, he's just not talented enough to take on that kind of role in the NBA. There are less than a handful of guys in the NBA who can effectively perform that type of ball dominating role: Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Roy and Chris Paul. TMac in his prime would've been another example.

Players with less talent than those guys aren't the ones who you want taking that big of a role with the ball in their hands all the time. Turner is a talented guy, but he doesn't strike me to be at the level of those before mentioned guys. He's not at that level to warrant that sort of role. In the NBA, you're going to want his role somewhat reduced and more specialized.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

I think this will be a lot like the Oden/Durant and Rose/Beasley drafts. I what I mean by that is whomever gets the #2 pick will still be crazy excited with the "leftovers"

Regardless of hindsight and how Oden has been hurt, or how Beasley played and handled himself. I remember in these drafts that both OKC (then Seattle) and Miami were more then happy with the #2 pick talent.

That's pretty much how I feel about this draft. Picks #1 and #2 are essentially 1a and 1b in my mind. If the Pacers logo is pulled out of envelope 1 or 2 during the draft lottery if will be a celebration taking place that night.

I honestly think the toughest pick to cope with is going to be the #3 pick. Though I think Cousins and Favors will be excellent players as well, just like Horford and Mayo in the other drafts mentioned above.Turner and Wall and the "top prizes" in this year's draft and if I remember correctly, the draft lottery stops once it gets to the top 3 picks and bring the representatives for the 3 remaining teams on stage.

That means you have a 66% chance of getting John Wall or Evan Turner. I excitement and nerves would be at an all-time high for draft lotteries, and then you see your team pulled out at #3?!?!

Though still a great pick, it's an instant buzz kill just thinking about.

Though still a couple months away from the lottery, the dreams of #1 or #2 have already begun

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

I doubt that either Wall or Turner will be available when we finally get to pick. The last thing we need is a wing player, so for me, unless we move Dunleavy or Dahntay or, God forbid, Rush, Turner should not come here.

My guess is that we will have minimized our potential by ending up with a lower draft pick through a combination of ill advised winning and a continuation of our bad luck as a franchise. Maybe 6th pick, and it is hard for me to say what players would be available by then.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Though still a couple months away from the lottery, the dreams of #1 or #2 have already begun
    No need to worry about that....with our schedule....instead of finishing with the 4th or 5th worst record.....we're going to end up with the 6th to 8th worst record in the league.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.