View Poll Results: Team Wall or Team Turner?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • John Wall

57 63.33%
  • Evan Turner

12 13.33%
  • Ask me after the Washington game at the end of April (dcpacersfan)

5 5.56%
  • Either (GrangeRusHibbert)

15 16.67%
  • Best Player Available When Pacers Have Selection (Brad8888)

1 1.11%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Evan Turner or John Wall

Default Evan Turner or John Wall

There has been a lot of discussion of of we had the number one pick who would you want to see in a Pacers uniform. I know it has been discussed on the draft thread but I think the discussion deserves its' own thread. Do you take Turner or Wall or someone else and why. I am a huge Turner fan but I just think the PG facilitates so much on the court.
    JOB is a silly man

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Evan Turner or John Wall

Am I completely out of the mainstream of this board?

While I am interested in who we draft and what our draft positioning is, I'm more immediately interested in how Hibbert and Rush finish the season, if Granger ever gets anything going, if there is any progress whatsoever in the way Murphy and Ford are utilized (doubtful), and if Hansbrough comes back and how he finishes the year.

I am somewhat excited about the draft, sure, but it is just too depressing for me to concentrate only on the draft year after year.

For now I will say: whoever could best be the PG of the future.
    Last edited by idioteque; 02-20-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Brains of the Operation.

If you are talking about having the number 1 pick you no doubt take Wall. IMO, Turner is not a top 5 pick, but who knows. Regardless, no 1 is too high for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am I completely out of the mainstream of this board?

While I am interested in who we draft and what our draft positioning is, I'm more immediately interested in how Hibbert and Rush finish the season, if Granger ever gets anything going, if there is any progress whatsoever in the way Murphy and Ford are utilized (doubtful), and if Hansbrough comes back and how he finishes the year.

I am somewhat excited about the draft, sure, but it is just too depressing for me to concentrate only on the draft year after year.
    I am a Pacers fan too and I would love to discuss how things are going for the players on the team. I am not ruiting for us to tank. The purpose to this thread is just to see who everyone likes more
    JOB is a silly man

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jhondog28 For This Useful Post:

Depends

If we trade Rush, Evan Turner would be better..

If not, John Wall

Tough call. I like Turner a lot, but he plays the same position as Rush - whom I am high on. If we could get a good deal for Rush, I would love to have Turner. IMO, he's a safe bet to be an elite wing ala Roy, Martin, Granger, Johnson, etc. I'm not convinced he is the go to guy on a championship team, but he will be solid.

Wall is riskier, but his upside is huge. If he pans out, he could be the main guy on a contending team. He also fills a position of which we desperately need help.

If I had to pick, I think I take Wall. Superstars win championships. How often are we going to have a shot at one?

Don't sleep on Cousins either. His attitude scares me, but I haven't seen a freshman big guy dominate like this since Shaq.

John Wall is the top pick, period. Unless that kid blows out a knee or commits a homicide at mid-court, he is going #1. If we win the lottery (which we won't), he's the guy. That simple.

The better question is who do we pick if we have #2---Turner or Cousins?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

John Wall, clearly. But let's get the number one pick first and take it from there.

There are a couple of guys who are becoming real thread poopooers. A thread is meant as a discussion not as something that is really going to happen. I am doing this as entertainment value. Of course this is probably not going to happen I get that, but to come on a thread and say why dont we wait until we get the pick and go from there is just a pointless remark. How about we discuss it now since the thread is up..how about that?!!!!!!! I mean if you dont want to discuss it then dont respond to the thread. Geez I am starting to relate more and more with Seth and that scares me.
    JOB is a silly man

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    There are a couple of guys who are becoming real thread poopooers. A thread is meant as a discussion not as something that is really going to happen. I am doing this as entertainment value. Of course this is probably not going to happen I get that, but to come on a thread and say why dont we wait until we get the pick and go from there is just a pointless remark. How about we discuss it now since the thread is up..how about that?!!!!!!! I mean if you dont want to discuss it then dont respond to the thread. Geez I am starting to relate more and more with Seth and that scares me.
    You're right, of course. You have every right to have a hypothetical discussion. I just meant to express my opinion re: this topic, not to poopoo your thread.

Call me oddly superstitious but I think this whole thread smells of jinxing the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Call me oddly superstitious but I think this whole thread smells of jinxing the Pacers.
    Bingo. Which is exactly why everyone is prefacing their answers with the, "It won't happen, but..."

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    You're right, of course. You have every right to have a hypothetical discussion. I just meant to express my opinion re: this topic, not to poopoo your thread.

Oh I thought we were jinxed already!
    JOB is a silly man

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jhondog28 For This Useful Post:

Take Turner, and see if he can fulfill the big PG role. Turner is combo guard anyways. Although Rush hasn't been the most consistent on offense, no one should doubt his defensive skills. Future lineup for next season...

Turner/Price
    Rush/D. Jones
    Granger/Dunleavy
    Murphy (would prefer Hansbrough)/Hansbrough
    Hibbert/We need a TRUE backup C instead of a PF playing C

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Take Turner, and see if he can fulfill the big PG role. Turner is combo guard anyways. Although Rush hasn't been the most consistent on offense, no one should doubt his defensive skills. Future lineup for next season...

Turner/Price
    Rush/D. Jones
    Granger/Dunleavy
    Murphy (would prefer Hansbrough)/Hansbrough
    Hibbert/We need a TRUE backup C instead of a PF playing C
    Thats crazy I just posted the same thing on another thread
    JOB is a silly man

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I know some people have really hopped on Turner's bandwagon, but when you factor in the fact that Wall is only a freshman, and Turner is a juinor, and Wall's freshman production destroys Turner's freshman production, it becomes an easy choice to make. Not to mention the premium on good PGs vs. wing players, which are more abundent.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

I really don't think Turner is a PG. You play him at SG and let him initiate the offense. Put a shooter in at the point and let him do his thing. He can't guard opposing point guards, they would eat him alive.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jhondog28 View Post
    Thats crazy I just posted the same thing on another thread
    Great minds think alike, lol. Of course, I could be looking for the second coming of Penny Hardaway. IMHO, big PGs disrupt the opposing team's offense better than your traditional 6'0" - 6'3" PG. If think about it, Granger is pretty tall for a SF. With Evans/Rush (you could even insert D. Jones)/Granger at the top, I believe Indiana could protect Hibbert better from dribble drives, hence allowing him to stay in the game better. Granted, Hibbert has already improved on playing better D without fouling, so he may not need much protection next season.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I really don't think Turner is a PG. You play him at SG and let him initiate the offense. Put a shooter in at the point and let him do his thing. He can't guard opposing point guards, they would eat him alive.
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/evan-turner
    http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=25082

Scouting reports say otherwise. Everyone assumes that speed beats height, but that not always the case. A 6'6" PG with a 7'0" wingspan is a LOT player to blow past, especially if said player has the quickness to keep up.

Banned

If I had the choice to pick between those two I pick Evan turner, not doubt he is the best player, for those who keep saying that he is not a pg watch him playing, the guy is really good at three positions, his defense still work in proccess but there is not question that he is the best player, Wall is more athletic but ET is a more complete player, his basketball IQ is really good, not every athletic player is smart in basketball Wall would be drafted for potential when Turner would be drafted for been a complete(NBA ready)player.

Banned

Exactly. The guy is a longer version of Brandon Roy, so I could easily see him capable of defending the point.

Wall is the top pick, but Turner is as good of a consolation prize as anyone could ask for.

John Wall. The guy may be on the level of Wade and Paul in a couple years. We have needed a great point guard for about ever. Point is the most important position. Take John Wall.

You can also argue that Evan has a bad injury history. Not necessarily am I agreeing with it, but we do have this little history of injuries...
    "I keep wondering the same thing. Last week they had the 4th worst record in the league, had an 11.9 percent chance of winning the lottery and were in line to land a franchise type player like Derrick Favors or DeMarcus Cousins. This week? They have a 1.7 percent chance of winning the lottery, have the 8th worst record and are in line to draft Cole Aldrich or Greg Monroe. Way to go Jim O'Brien. Rest Danny Granger the rest of the season (if it isn't too late) and give Josh McRoberts lots of minutes. That ought to do it." - Chad Ford on winning meaningless games

Way to go Jim, you may have just put our franchise back another 4+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/evan-turner
    http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=25082

Scouting reports say otherwise. Everyone assumes that speed beats height, but that not always the case. A 6'6" PG with a 7'0" wingspan is a LOT player to blow past, especially if said player has the quickness to keep up.
    Height and wingspan have about zilch to do with your ability to stay in front of guys. With the smaller, quicker point guards, I don't care how tall he is, he simply isn't quick enough to stay in front of them. Seeing as how we have a slow, foul prone center and Troy Murphy protecting the rim, I don't see how we could get away with that. Let him play like Brandon Roy, Tyreke Evans, and LeBron James--they don't play the point (well, Evans does, but that experiment should have ended when Kevin Martin got traded), but they initiate the offense and do the majority of the half court ball handling.
    Last edited by cdash; 02-20-2010 at 06:06 PM.

Banned

For those who like Jhon Wall watch the game today.(no more youtube highlights)

http://espn.go.com/broadband/espn360...tCode=&league=

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Turner is the player of the year in college basketball and will be a fantastic NBA player. But Wall is the top pick. I'd be plenty happy with either.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Height and wingspan have about zilch to do with your ability to stay in front of guys. With the smaller, quicker point guards, I don't care how tall he is, he simply isn't quick enough to stay in front of them. Seeing as how we have a slow, foul prone center and Troy Murphy protecting the rim, I don't see how we could get away with that. Let him play like Brandon Roy, Tyreke Evans, and LeBron James--they don't play the point (well, Evans does, but that experiment should have ended when Kevin Martin got traded), but they initiate the offense and do the majority of the half court ball handling.
    Height and wingspan has EVERYTHING to do with defense. Were you ever taught to crotch at the knees and spread your arms out to play D??? You're talking as if he's slow as Roy Hibbert foot speed wise. You're not asking him to run the 100M against other PGs. We're asking him to stay front of his man. Plus, it would be harder to shoot over a taller player. He has "above average" athletism by NBA standards, so it's worth the experiment. Besides, he would be just as much a matchup problem against the other team too. Why do people always think "What the other guy might do to me..." instead "What I can do against the other guy"? That used to make me mad when a coach would try to match me up differently, because of what the other player MIGHT do to me. Why are we adjusting to them??? Make them adjust to me...
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 02-20-2010 at 06:51 PM.