Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Well's> Ford, Rush taken aback by Pacers' trade talk

Default Well's> Ford, Rush taken aback by Pacers' trade talk

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ers-trade-talk

Pacers notebook
    Ford, Rush taken aback by Pacers' trade talk

By Mike Wells
    Posted: February 20, 2010

NEW ORLEANS -- T.J. Ford didn't expect there was a possibility that he would be traded. Brandon Rush said he was "shocked" four times during a 40-second interview.

The two Indiana Pacers were caught off guard when they heard the team was working on a deal to send them to the Charlotte Bobcats for Gerald Henderson, Nazr Mohammed and D.J. Augustin on Thursday.
    Advertisement

The deal fell through when the Bobcats pulled out about 10 minutes before the trade deadline.

"I was definitely more shocked than anything," Rush said. "I didn't see it coming. Nobody told me anything about being on the trade block. It was more of a shock."

Many of Rush's teammates thought he had been traded because he was running late for their 3 p.m. flight to New Orleans. It wasn't until then that he learned he was close to being dealt.

Team president Larry Bird has talked about having a core group of players to go with when they finally have some salary cap space.

Thursday's proposed deal shows that the Pacers aren't sure if Rush, one of the most talented players on the roster, fits into their future plans. Rush has had an up-and-down first two seasons. His inconsistent play has frustrated many in the organization.

"I know (I can get traded) down the road because it's part of basketball," Rush said.

Ford was on his way to the airport when his agent called him and said the two teams were working on a deal.

"I didn't have too much of a reaction because I didn't anticipate being traded," he said. "I figured I'd be here for the rest of the year. You can look at it two ways. You can be upset or look at it as a good thing because that means people still want your services around the league."

Ford was so certain he was going to be traded that he was dancing around in front of his teammates with a big smile on his face before getting on the plane.

Almost being traded just added another twist to an already bizarre season for Ford. He has gone from starting to being benched to being back in the rotation.

"You look at the situation and understand the direction they're going," he said. "It's not anything I'm upset about at all. All my trades have been during the summertime and never in the course of the season.

"This whole season has been very challenging and I think I've dealt with everything that has come my way pretty good. I'm just going to continue to try and finish the season up strong."
    Loading up on tickets

Pacers forward Danny Granger spent part of his time in the locker room before the game getting tickets for friends and family members in his hometown.

Granger came up with his customary 40 tickets, but it didn't cost him as much as usual. He only had to purchase a few tickets because his teammates helped out by giving him their tickets.
    ------------------------------------

I would hope that almost getting traded would light a fire under Rush, but I didn't see any change in him against NO.

Also, I wonder if Ford was upset about getting traded or just putting on when he was dancing around in front of his teammates. Remembering his tweet, I'm of two minds. No one wants to have to move, but everyone likes another shot. I figure he felt both ways.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Well's> Ford, Rush taken aback by Pacers' trade talk

I think this trade will be revisited during the summer so Ford will have to keep his dancing shoes on.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

As to Ford my guess is he was probably ready to get out of this nuthouse and away from this coach.

Well that is until he realized that Larry Brown would have been his next coach. That would have been fun to see.

However again I want to actually in all honesty show some admiration for the way that Ford has handled everything this year. He is not really a good point guard at all but to go from starter to 12th man would take its toll on anyone and I can tell you from sitting near the bench and watching him that the guy never once pouted or stood away from the team. He usually was the first person to greet the players coming off of the floor and he was always telling Price things whenever he would go by him.

Think what you will of him as a player but as a team mate I would have to say that at least in public view you could not ask for much better than that.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

4. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

I think Ford would be receptive to coaching, especially when he hasn't seen any the last couple years. Plus, he's still young enough that it could make a real difference in his career. Guys hate playing for Brown, but the smart ones always admit he made them a better player.

Btw, I've been out of town, this is the first I heard that Henderson and Rush were involved. Man, that would have been nice. I actually would have been impressed if we'd gotten that done.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Ford was so certain he was going to be traded that he was dancing around in front of his teammates with a big smile on his face before getting on the plane.
    SEASON SUMMERIZED

It says it all.

And Rush has a fire in him already, otherwise he'd start phoning in the defense rather than continue to be one of the only guys playing it. I'm really fed up with the "Rush doesn't try" talk, it flies in the face of the on court play.

I'm sorry Rush isn't jacking up 15 3PA a game, but that's not him. His game is closer to what I'd like to see, but he's a stranger in a stranger land right now. That doesn't make him wrong.

(and I was a guy happy about the upgrade from Rush to Henderson even)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I am actually VERY surprised that Rush was going to be a part of a trade such as was proposed.. I mean I could halfway see it , if we offered him in a trade with tj or murph only IF it netted us a VERY good young player who is already on his way to borderline starter/all-star.. But COME ON!!..
    I just do not understand the logic.. Hell Rush is already ON HIS WAY to one day making the All Defensive Squad... Seriously if he keeps it up I can envision it one day...
    His defense is damn good for only being a 2nd year player.. Not to mention he is already probably our top on-man defender..

I really think it was a "vote of no confidence" by the Pacer's Front Office in Rush...
    And quite frankly, I don't think Rush deserves it.. and the flak that JOB talks out the side of his mouth about him..

Sure he may have been overly passive the 1st half of the season.. but COME ON!!! this is only his 2nd year !! (restating AGAIN!)

I really hope that this doesn't affect Brandon's fragile personality

I was half being sarcastic/ half serious on that last line.. cause if I were him, I would be kinda hurt that my team has no confidence in me and wants to trade me after
    only 1 and 1/2 season from being drafted by them...

I think for a 2nd year player he is coming along just fine.. I mean sure I wish he had become more assertive/consistant sooner and earlier on the offensive end.. but you couldn't ask more from him on defense as a 1 and 1/2 year player..

I really think Bird and co. fumbled the ball with Rush on this one.. Let's hope not...

Last edited by Kemo; 02-20-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I think Ford would be receptive to coaching, especially when he hasn't seen any the last couple years. Plus, he's still young enough that it could make a real difference in his career.
    what is that supposed to mean. How would you have any idea if he has received any coaching or not. I mean it may not be the type of coaching you approve of, but to suggest he hasn't been coached at all is just untrue and a completely unfair statement

I would venture to say that JOB has spent dozens and dozens of hours working with Ford in film sessions and on the court work

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    SEASON SUMMERIZED

It says it all.

You do realize the dancing around part was not part of Wells articles

Edit - oops I am wrong, sorry - it was part of wells blog
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 02-20-2010 at 09:44 AM.

My take on Ford and Rush is this.

Everyone has always tried to make Ford a point guard, in the coach's image of a point guard. That isn't what he does. I would be more tempted to make a shooting guard out of him. Except for 3 pointers.

With Rush, what did TPTB expect? Heck, they only had FOUR YEARS to watch him. Wasn't their TV able to get the Kansas games? They should have very well known what his game is, and isn't, when they drafted him. Why did they expect anything different than what they had seen?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    You do realize the dancing around part was not part of Wells articles
    Yes it was. Read it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    My take on Ford and Rush is this.

Everyone has always tried to make Ford a point guard, in the coach's image of a point guard. That isn't what he does. I would be more tempted to make a shooting guard out of him. Except for 3 pointers.

With Rush, what did TPTB expect? Heck, they only had FOUR YEARS to watch him. Wasn't their TV able to get the Kansas games? They should have very well known what his game is, and isn't, when they drafted him. Why did they expect anything different than what they had seen?

Or maybe the person doing the picking isn't that knowledgeable about talent.

Quote Originally Posted by FlavaDave View Post
    Yes it was. Read it again.
    you are correct, sorry, I was wrong

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ford was so certain he was going to be traded that he was dancing around in front of his teammates with a big smile on his face before getting on the plane
    Hopefully the dancing around showing that he really would like to be on another team will get him to opt out of his final year. If he's not traded. I like TJ but if he's not gonna be used we need to get someone we can use with his money.
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post

I would argue though that Ford is only good when he has the ball. he isnt a point guard, no argument there. He is a one-on-one player who can't play off the ball. So i'm not too sure what you do with him. But putting him at shooting guard and having another guard control the ball will not help Ford at all

The putting of Rush in a trade says:

A) Bird missed judged Rush's talent when he went for a "NBA ready" pick.

B) TPTB have come to the conclusion Rush is never going to be the starting SG they wanted for the future.

C) That Rush is not Jimmy's type player.

D) That Jimmy will be the coach most of next season if not all of the season.

E) It shows another failed pick by Bird. Lets hope Tyler isn't ANOTHER one.

Banned

I know that this team s**** (I can't say that word anymore)and that is the one reason people expect Rush to be the answer, they guy is the best defender on the team he does all the small things you need from a player to win the game but people keeps giving him crap, his number are not that bad for a second player either, Rush at worst could be a nice young rotational player for years to come, why that is so bad?
    Last edited by vnzla81; 02-20-2010 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    (and I was a guy happy about the upgrade from Rush to Henderson even)
    Upgrade? Yeah right. That's debateable. I think Rush is better than that. Defensively they may be in the same class, but I don't think Henderson is much more than Dahntay offensively.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    The putting of Rush in a trade says:

A) Bird missed judged Rush's talent when he went for a "NBA ready" pick.

B) TPTB have come to the conclusion Rush is never going to be the starting SG they wanted for the future.

C) That Rush is not Jimmy's type player.

D) That Jimmy will be the coach most of next season if not all of the season.

E) It shows another failed pick by Bird. Lets hope Tyler isn't ANOTHER one.
    C & D
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sportfireman For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think they misjudged his talent, but maybe his phychie.

Pacers hoped for a Type A personality & got a Type B.

Thing is, I'm not sure Rush won't change some (as he did at Kansas) as he becomes a "vet" he will become more "Type A". IMO he just needs a leader to mentor him. We do not have that locker room gut. Maybe Foster was for Hibby, but Danny is not that for Brandon.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    As to Ford my guess is he was probably ready to get out of this nuthouse and away from this coach.

Well that is until he realized that Larry Brown would have been his next coach. That would have been fun to see.

However again I want to actually in all honesty show some admiration for the way that Ford has handled everything this year. He is not really a good point guard at all but to go from starter to 12th man would take its toll on anyone and I can tell you from sitting near the bench and watching him that the guy never once pouted or stood away from the team. He usually was the first person to greet the players coming off of the floor and he was always telling Price things whenever he would go by him.

Think what you will of him as a player but as a team mate I would have to say that at least in public view you could not ask for much better than that.
    I agree, as much as I don't like him as a point guard, he seems like a pretty nice guy, and a pretty good teammate. He seems to make an effort to talk to and encourage the younger guys. Wasn't it TJ that took Hans out for "soul food" earlier this year?

And although JOB has a preference for TJ, and TJ hasn't performed well, he has been in Jim's bipolar system (now you're playing, now you aren't) shuffle too. And that's hard on any player.

I think Rush could thrive as a complimentary player after Indiana adds some talent. He's never going to be "the man" on a team as far as scoring loads of points every game. He's the guy that makes the other team pay when he gets an opening from the team focusing on options 1 and 2. He's the guy that plays tough defense every game. He was never known for gunning a bunch of shots and being your primary scoring option. I personally really like Rush and think it would be a mistake to get rid of him right now. He could be a terrific asset down the road. If we rated defensive effort and skill, where would he rate among players on this team? There's more to basketball than scoring points. If you can prevent the other team from scoring, that's just as important.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IndyPacer For This Useful Post:

100% REAL, 0% OF THE TIME the jaddler's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    By Mike Wells
    Posted: February 20, 2010

Thursday's proposed deal shows that the Pacers aren't sure if Rush, one of the most talented players on the roster, fits into their future plans. Rush has had an up-and-down first two seasons. His inconsistent play has frustrated many in the organization.
    REALLY.....ONE OF THE MOST TALENTED PLAYERS ON THE ROSTER????? ummmm.......maybe Mike Wells has been hanging out with JOB...
    I CANT SPELL!

THERE ARE THOSE THAT HAVE AND THOSE THAT WILL!

So I guess if you look at the trade that almost was it's basically trade TJ's contract and Rush for one unproven physical specimen and two decent backups. Or, taking out financials all together, Rush for the other three.

My guess is that Rush will ultimately be better than all three of them. We have a lot of good role players and backups around as is. From that standpoint I'm glad we skipped it. I just can't forsee Augustin as anything more than a career backup.

I guess that means I'm okay that it didn't transpire. Sort of.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I am actually VERY surprised that Rush was going to be a part of a trade such as was proposed.. I mean I could halfway see it , if we offered him in a trade with tj or murph only IF it netted us a VERY good young player who is already on his way to borderline starter/all-star.. But COME ON!!..
    I just do not understand the logic.. Hell Rush is already ON HIS WAY to one day making the All Defensive Squad... Seriously if he keeps it up I can envision it one day...
    His defense is damn good for only being a 2nd year player.. Not to mention he is already probably our top on-man defender..

I really think it was a "vote of no confidence" by the Pacer's Front Office in Rush...
    And quite frankly, I don't think Rush deserves it.. and the flak that JOB talks out the side of his mouth about him..

Sure he may have been overly passive the 1st half of the season.. but COME ON!!! this is only his 2nd year !! (restating AGAIN!)

I really hope that this doesn't affect Brandon's fragile personality

I was half being sarcastic/ half serious on that last line.. cause if I were him, I would be kinda hurt that my team has no confidence in me and wants to trade me after
    only 1 and 1/2 season from being drafted by them...

I think for a 2nd year player he is coming along just fine.. I mean sure I wish he had become more assertive/consistant sooner and earlier on the offensive end.. but you couldn't ask more from him on defense as a 1 and 1/2 year player..

I really think Bird and co. fumbled the ball with Rush on this one.. Let's hope not...

Why does everyone assume that because some guy is mentioned in trade discussion that it means that "we" or "TPTB" don't think he's good enough?
    Want something of value? You usually have to give up something of value.
    Apparently many here think other teams should send us quality for our scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by MLB007 View Post

Want something of value? You usually have to give up something of value.
    Apparently many here think other teams should send us quality for our scrap.

This great "something of value" you are talking about that Charlotte has is a seldom used rookie and a 2nd year PG of which neither is getting much PT. To me that says a lot about how they feel about Rush and his future with the Pacers!

JMO, but I'd say Rush's days are #ed as a Pacer. He's trade filler to make a future trade happen.
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 02-20-2010 at 12:05 PM.